So... Ebola...

Roman

Take it to wheelsworld, this isnt the place.

I would if it evolved into a whole new subject, instead it was just a simple exchange of posts.

• Replies 989
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obama told Americans on Saturday not to "give in to hysteria or fear" over the deadly Ebola virus, calling for patience and a sense of perspective.

In his weekly address to the nation, Obama also played down the idea of a travel ban from West Africa, the epicenter of the outbreak, saying such restrictions would only exacerbate the crisis.

"All of us -- citizens, leaders, the media -- have a responsibility and a role to play," Obama said.

http://news.yahoo.com/obama-calls-end-ebol...-110006011.html

Well that's it I guess we should just close the thread and stop being hysterical about a virus that is proven to kill at least 5 if not 9 of every 10 people that get it. :eusa_wall:

http://news.yahoo.com/obama-calls-end-ebol...-110006011.html

Well that's it I guess we should just close the thread and stop being hysterical about a virus that is proven to kill at least 5 if not 9 of every 10 people that get it. :eusa_wall:

Hysterical is a bad thing to be IMO, but legitimate concern is very much warranted. I think this Nina Pham and the other nurse girl are going to be a litmus test on how concerned people get over it. If they die, then a lot more concern is going to start happening. If they both live, people will be less frightened, whether properly warranted or not.

Hysterical is a bad thing to be IMO, but legitimate concern is very much warranted. I think this Nina Pham and the other nurse girl are going to be a litmus test on how concerned people get over it. If they die, then a lot more concern is going to start happening. If they both live, people will be less frightened, whether properly warranted or not.

Just playing the odds, one will probably live... One will probably die....

The real panic will come if ebola lives up to its current r-0 (2). That would means arch of them would infect two new people. It sounded like Phams boyfriend was ill a few days ago and then nothing else about him....

Tour bus of 22 people stops in Pentagon Parking lot as unidentified woman boards, vomits in back, and professes to have been in Africa recently.

Tour bus of 22 people stops in Pentagon Parking lot as unidentified woman boards, vomits in back, and professes to have been in Africa recently.

What?

October 12

8997 cases. 4485 deaths

598 new cases. 452 more dead. 4 days.

October 14

9,216 cases. 4,555 deaths

219 new cases. 70 more dead... 2 days.

2f2c509cc5deafa98132bb00de25f9af.jpg

i loled

The logical fallacy in this is that four months ago, you could say the same thing about Africa.... Now It will kill 4000 in the next 30 days...

October 14

although I believe numbers are drastically under reported, your numbers do imply a slight drop off....positive sign for 2 more days

although I believe numbers are drastically under reported, your numbers do imply a slight drop off....positive sign for 2 more days

The virus spreads exponentially so the 70 dead are more than likely from a total of new cases from two or three weeks ago which may have been closer to 140.

Hence if you take the number of deaths that will happen three weeks from now from the 219 new cases reported at this very moment you will more than likely get 110.

The virus has a 50% kill rate.

The virus spreads exponentially so the 70 dead are more than likely from a total of new cases from two or three weeks ago which may have been closer to 140.

Hence if you take the number of deaths that will happen three weeks from now from the 219 new cases reported at this very moment you will more than likely get 110.

The virus has a 50% kill rate.

I get the multiplication factor. Looking at the last 2 two day increments, cases in 2 days dropped from 299 (half of 598 since it was 4 days in Roman's report) vs 219 in last 2 days and deaths from 226 (half of 452 in previous 4 days in Roman's report) vs 70. Still a drop

October 12

598 new cases. 452 more dead. 4 days (take half these numbers to compare to below 2 days)

October 14

I get the multiplication factor. Looking at the last 2 two day increments, cases in 2 days dropped from 299 (half of 598 since it was 4 days in Roman's report) vs 219 in last 2 days and deaths from 226 (half of 452 in previous 4 days in Roman's report) vs 70. Still a drop

October 12

598 new cases. 452 more dead. 4 days (take half these numbers to compare to below 2 days)

October 14

Yeah... The day to day numbers go up and down a bit... Probably because of reporting delays and/or because of the long incubation/infection periods... They come in "bursts".

The bigger picture, is to look at the numbers over the weekly/ monthly averages.... And we are right on pace to continue doubling every month or so...

We've added roughly 2000 cases (!!!!!) in the first two weeks of October... And we will likely add another 3-5000 in the last two weeks...

October 14

October 17.

9692 Cases. 4811 Dead

476 New cases. 256 more dead. 3 days.

"A top scientist" lol.

Sounds like the ending of Indiana jones.

"We have our top men working on it."

"Who?"

"TOP MEN"

Ummm... Thats just the headline... Its not like they don't name him in the Article...

He's Peter Jahrling, the chief of NIH NIAID in Frederick Maryland.... And he has a lot more experience with Ebola than any of the people we're hearing from at the administration... (He's been awarded a lifetime achievement award for his study of filoviruses, for one...) While Tom Frieden was banning transfats, and the ebola czar was bankrupting Solyndra, he was working in a level 4 lab in a spacesuit, learning pretty much everything we know on the topic.... I'll take his word for it...

http://www.niaid.nih.gov/about/organizatio...Leadership.aspx

http://www.niaid.nih.gov/labsandresources/...es/default.aspx

Anyway... You don't need to be a scientist to see something is very different about this bug and the ebola we've seen before... Its behaving a lot differently than it has in the past...

Nurse #1 being reported as ebola free, family also cleared. Cameraman in Nebraska also ebola free and headed home. That leaves only one confirmed case left in the U.S., nurse number 2 Nina Pham.