teen killed during lamborghini test drive

Phteven

Rip.

Another story of kids doing something they have no business doing without proper training.

I did some right seat "instructing" for Adventure Supercar. They bring exotics to race tracks and people with ZERO training pay to drive for a few laps.

Most people are respectful and conservative (and frankly - afraid) but a small percentage are idiots.

I was in a Balboni and had a guy FLOOR it on pit lane with a guard rail on either side. We start to go sideways and I grab his leg and scream at him. I make him pull over and we have a little chat.

Then we go out - and he thinks he's Schumacher (or =) and keeps punching the throttle in the corners. I keep telling him no. I was on the borderline of ejecting him when the 3 laps ended. We talked about it after (he could tell I was pissed) and he said "yeah - I thought about it but it seemed we were sticking pretty good". I told him I felt the car moving (meaning rear end breaking loose. He couldn't feel it. A frickin idiot (and maybe I'm an idiot for taking the assignment but it's mostly fun interspersed with a few moments of terror - and what girl doesn't like a little adrenaline rush). Anyhow - he was telling me all about his "driving experience" before we went out. Turns out it's 99% video game!!!

People, and not just teens but adults too - think they can drive on a video game and it gives them "experience". I wonder if the boy who died was overconfident from video game experience, or maybe just a teen who thought he was immortal (they all do). Either way - very sad. I've ridden with too many adults who don't respect the cars and have no idea that you can get killed driving fast. It's as though they think it only happens on TV or in the movies, and that they are not really in danger. Most of the younger drivers I've had are afraid of the speed and literally shaking by the time they exit the car.

Just read YouTube comments on exotic cars videos, every 15 year old is an expert, complaining about not enough power, understeer, oversteer, etc. etc.

Every time I read them I can not help it think they have NO idea, I am sure that almost none of them have any hands on experience with fast and powerful cars, when they do have the chance they feel invincible because of their "virtual" experience.

You should never lose your respect for these machines, they can turn and bite just as quick as they go forward, it's a shame another young life was lost and a family affected forever. :(

That kid driving must've really punched it to crash like that. Assuming it was a decent kid and since it was a family friend, the friend must've let the kid drive it that fast, I would think. If the friend had said, "I need you to make a promise to me though, that you will not drive it fast until we get to a safe area where if you were to lose control, we don't crash into anything..." that the kid would've obeyed. Only if he was a total brat could I think of him ignoring that.

I did some right seat "instructing" for Adventure Supercar. They bring exotics to race tracks and people with ZERO training pay to drive for a few laps.

Most people are respectful and conservative (and frankly - afraid) but a small percentage are idiots.

I was in a Balboni and had a guy FLOOR it on pit lane with a guard rail on either side. We start to go sideways and I grab his leg and scream at him. I make him pull over and we have a little chat.

Then we go out - and he thinks he's Schumacher (or =) and keeps punching the throttle in the corners. I keep telling him no. I was on the borderline of ejecting him when the 3 laps ended. We talked about it after (he could tell I was pissed) and he said "yeah - I thought about it but it seemed we were sticking pretty good". I told him I felt the car moving (meaning rear end breaking loose. He couldn't feel it. A frickin idiot (and maybe I'm an idiot for taking the assignment but it's mostly fun interspersed with a few moments of terror - and what girl doesn't like a little adrenaline rush). Anyhow - he was telling me all about his "driving experience" before we went out. Turns out it's 99% video game!!!

People, and not just teens but adults too - think they can drive on a video game and it gives them "experience". I wonder if the boy who died was overconfident from video game experience, or maybe just a teen who thought he was immortal (they all do). Either way - very sad. I've ridden with too many adults who don't respect the cars and have no idea that you can get killed driving fast. It's as though they think it only happens on TV or in the movies, and that they are not really in danger. Most of the younger drivers I've had are afraid of the speed and literally shaking by the time they exit the car.

I used to be a flight instructor for beginners (still am but not for beginners anymore) and what you described was basically an everyday occurrence for me with some students. I cant even begin to count the number of times where a student did something that you just looked at them like "WTF" and their reply would be well in flight sim X i can do that. It is really nice being where I'm at now and teaching people who already have their ratings and are looking to add on ratings of more advanced aircraft but you still will get some stupid reactions (like one i had who just added his helicopter rating along with his commercial fixed wing and on very very short final decided to forget if he was in an airplane or helicopter and nearly put us in the dirt).

Anything really needs to be given a healthy amount of respect for a lot of the stuff we deal with be it airplanes, cars, guns or even kitchen knives.

it really is a shame what happened and i hope the kid rests in peace.

I used to be a flight instructor for beginners (still am but not for beginners anymore) and what you described was basically an everyday occurrence for me with some students. I cant even begin to count the number of times where a student did something that you just looked at them like "WTF" and their reply would be well in flight sim X i can do that. It is really nice being where I'm at now and teaching people who already have their ratings and are looking to add on ratings of more advanced aircraft but you still will get some stupid reactions (like one i had who just added his helicopter rating along with his commercial fixed wing and on very very short final decided to forget if he was in an airplane or helicopter and nearly put us in the dirt).

Anything really needs to be given a healthy amount of respect for a lot of the stuff we deal with be it airplanes, cars, guns or even kitchen knives.

it really is a shame what happened and i hope the kid rests in peace.

It truly baffles me that people think that just because you can do something in a simulator or a game that it is the same as real-life! Simulators and games can be realistic, but they have physics engines that are imperfect. Gran Turismo for example has for years been considered a pretty realistic racing game, but it also has for years been constantly having the physics engine refined. And claiming that you can do that in an AIRCRAFT, are you kidding me? From what I've heard, the most dangerous words out of any pilot's mouth are, "Watch this."

Maybe you and cake should put up a big sign at your instruction events:

"NOTE TO MORONS: TO ALL IDIOTS WHO THINK JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN DO SOMETHING IN A VIDEO GAME AND/OR SIMULATOR A CERTAIN WAY, THAT IT ALSO WORKS THAT WAY IN REAL LIFE, THAT ISN'T ALWAYS THE CASE. I DO NOT WANT TO BE KILLED BECAUSE SOME MORON AT THE WHEEL/STICK THOUGHT THEY COULD PULL A MANEUVER THAT IN REALITY ISN'T DOABLE BECAUSE THEY CAN DO IT IN A GAME OR SIMULATOR. ANYONE WHO TRIES ANY SUCH THING GETS BOOTED OUT OF TRAINING. ANY PILOTS WHO TRY SUCH GET BOOTED OUT MID-FLIGHT."

(:D)

It truly baffles me that people think that just because you can do something in a simulator or a game that it is the same as real-life! Simulators and games can be realistic, but they have physics engines that are imperfect. Gran Turismo for example has for years been considered a pretty realistic racing game, but it also has for years been constantly having the physics engine refined. And claiming that you can do that in an AIRCRAFT, are you kidding me? From what I've heard, the most dangerous words out of any pilot's mouth are, "Watch this."

Maybe you and cake should put up a big sign at your instruction events:

"NOTE TO MORONS: TO ALL IDIOTS WHO THINK JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN DO SOMETHING IN A VIDEO GAME AND/OR SIMULATOR A CERTAIN WAY, THAT IT ALSO WORKS THAT WAY IN REAL LIFE, THAT ISN'T ALWAYS THE CASE. I DO NOT WANT TO BE KILLED BECAUSE SOME MORON AT THE WHEEL/STICK THOUGHT THEY COULD PULL A MANEUVER THAT IN REALITY ISN'T DOABLE BECAUSE THEY CAN DO IT IN A GAME OR SIMULATOR. ANYONE WHO TRIES ANY SUCH THING GETS BOOTED OUT OF TRAINING. ANY PILOTS WHO TRY SUCH GET BOOTED OUT MID-FLIGHT."

(:D)

So all those hours playing GoldenEye in college means I am not actually a 00 Agent?