Huayra challenge in the US!!!

SV-N-IT

Multiple tracks, not just one race. Testing/practice starts soon.

And this will not be a short race from what Kris told me. I will not spill the beans but this is going to be very interesting to see how the cars hold up.

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And this will not be a short race from what Kris told me. I will not spill the beans but this is going to be very interesting to see how the cars hold up.

That's interesting. Is Kris betting on the P1 breaking down or needing more out stops versus the Huayra? Seems like a longer race would favor an experienced driver even more, its hard to drive very fast for a long time...the concentration and physical endurance it takes is immense.

Here's a taste of things to come.

Loved the video, next time see if you can place a mic next go the exhaust, it would be great to hear it!

:iamwithstupid: :icon_super:

are you running the trofeo R's? if so what psi on the track is best so far?

30-32 PSI hot seems to be the ticket with the Trofeo Rs. That run was at ~32 PSI and it was probably too much; as you can see in the video, the car's struggling for grip in the back.

Here's a lap I drove with a bit less drama. Adjusting for the T5-T6 sound booth delay, it was 1.2 secs slower but the rear stayed planted nicely.

30-32 PSI hot seems to be the ticket with the Trofeo Rs. That run was at ~32 PSI and it was probably too much; as you can see in the video, the car's struggling for grip in the back.

Here's a lap I drove with a bit less drama. Adjusting for the T5-T6 sound booth delay, it was 1.2 secs slower but the rear stayed planted nicely.

I see that, so 32 hot and you start with about 25psi cold?

I have my first track day next month with the 650 and the R's! cant wait!

I see that, so 32 hot and you start with about 25psi cold?

I have my first track day next month with the 650 and the R's! cant wait!

Yes, 25-26PSI cold. Very important to do a warmup lap and avoid the curbs until the tires are up to temp! Check pressures midway through the first couple sessions as well.

I think you'll enjoy the Trofeo's!

Yes, 25-26PSI cold. Very important to do a warmup lap and avoid the curbs until the tires are up to temp! Check pressures midway through the first couple sessions as well.

I think you'll enjoy the Trofeo's!

thanks bud! appreciate your help!

have a great holiday!

Here's a taste of things to come.

Very cool video.

In a few of the turns it looked like when you were hard on the binders the car waffled a bit, was that the camera playing tricks on me or do you do a more European style of driving with a lot of quick little inputs to adjust? and is that car that sensitive about it?

Lol what?

There was once an auto journalist whom described two different styles of driving, and it made sense to me.

One is European style, where there is consistent and often minute inputs (imagine twitchy on the steering wheels of sorts) and the other a more American strong-arm kind of stick it and hold style of driving.

That's interesting. Is Kris betting on the P1 breaking down or needing more out stops versus the Huayra? Seems like a longer race would favor an experienced driver even more, its hard to drive very fast for a long time...the concentration and physical endurance it takes is immense.

I believe he is betting the batteries will start to lose efficiency..

There was once an auto journalist whom described two different styles of driving, and it made sense to me.

One is European style, where there is consistent and often minute inputs (imagine twitchy on the steering wheels of sorts) and the other a more American strong-arm kind of stick it and hold style of driving.

Reminds me of the Schumacher analysis (from about 2:37):

I believe he is betting the batteries will start to lose efficiency..

Winner winner chicken dinner

Kris believes the batteries will basically become bricks and bring no added benefit to the cars allowing him to have the faster car over a longer race.

Winner winner chicken dinner

Kris believes the batteries will basically become bricks and bring no added benefit to the cars allowing him to have the faster car over a longer race.

McLarens F1 derived KERS which recharges every lap in a nearly 2 hour F1 race is highly unlikely to "fade" in a friendly road race, don't you think?

An update - after looking over the car in service today, we concluded the rear tires should have run with a bit less pressure. They measured 32PSI hot after that last session, and they were more worn in the centers than on the edge. So, for next time, 30 PSI hot all the way around.

Also, regarding driving style - the P1 takes a bit of getting used to. It has a race car chassis & brakes, and more than race car power, but street car tires (albeit good ones) and street car ABS. In the first video, it was being driven by an experienced pro who handled it like a race car: nail the brakes, quick steering wheel movements, etc. It worked OK, but as you can see, plenty of drama.

Here's a lap from my second time out. I was driving and decided to dial back the drama a tick, took my wife as a passenger, and focused on squeeezing the controls. The result: just 1 sec/lap slower (adjusting for 1.3 seconds longer in the sound check zone between 5 and 6), happy tires, and zero drama.

The trick for a really fast lap is going to be being smooth and staying within the tires' modest limits, getting her turned, and letting that awesome powerplant do its thing.

Finally - if Kris is hoping the battery conks out, it reached a steady state on lap 3. There are just too many places where you aren't using full throttle in a 900HP car, and the P1 uses those spots to regen the battery.