The Architecture thread

capt_chaos

Oh look, wheels style I googled the issue with the rotting.

http://www.theneworleansadvocate.com/news/...es-manufacturer

So looking like nothing to do with modern design but material supply, so something that can affect is "traditional methods"

Furthermore wheels site says 400k per house

Yet

It is seeking more than $500,000 in compensatory damages, a figure that ballooned from the cost of buying the wood to trying to remediate it before ultimately having to replace it.

So not 400k per house.

So wheels, give us your actual experience.

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Your yardstick of normality has long been established to be several inches short but your basis of things "wrong" is from what actual first hand experience?

Actual experience, not I read this website written by a snivelling embittered fucktard so it must be true.

So the problems of those Katrina homes were just made up by the article's author? And stop appealing to experience on something that does not require experience to criticize. That is the problem with contemporary architects. They think you need to be a member of the profession to be able to comment on it. It is not a profession in the same realm as say surgery. And I have given numerous explanations about the problems of contemporary architecture and misconceptions about both it and classical architecture.

Oh look, wheels style I googled the issue with the rotting.

http://www.theneworleansadvocate.com/news/...es-manufacturer

So looking like nothing to do with modern design but material supply, so something that can affect is "traditional methods"

It wasn't traditional methods, it was the use of an untested material. And then there's the issue of the cost.

Time to close this thread... it's turning into members getting understandably annoyed and resorting to name calling which are still serving as validation.

Okay, tell you what: I don't want this thread closed, not for me but because it is a thread the members enjoy, so, I WILL STOP POSTING MY OPINIONS OF ARCHITECTURE IN THIS THREAD. Cappy and whoever can have the last word. I will just agree to disagree with everyone. I might post pictures of buildings or whatnot here and there, but no more opinions. I have stated my opinion in about as many ways as I can, and it is wrong for me to keep doing so now.

Okay, tell you what: I don't want this thread closed, not for me but because it is a thread the members enjoy, so, I WILL STOP POSTING MY OPINIONS OF ARCHITECTURE IN THIS THREAD. Cappy and whoever can have the last word. I will just agree to disagree with everyone. I might post pictures of buildings or whatnot here and there, but no more opinions. I have stated my opinion in about as many ways as I can, and it is wrong for me to keep doing so now.

LkG2lV9.png

I'm reading this thread from the get go. One thing I have to say, Wheels, not even once, threw an insult at anybody.

Think about it, all responders. Definitely not nice!

Wrong time to interject, however, I am in need of a storage shed.

Anyone know any good companies that make nice looking contemporary shed's?

All of the companies I've found have no history. Good looking products, questionable durability.

What size are you looking for? 10×10, etc.

please don't close the thread, I'm laughing my ass off here.

Guys, what is the person called who sets up the lights for the exterior of the building for the night eye candy? (such as illuminating the columns, having various colors, etc) How do people get into that?

Lighting designers, and there are many talented firms. Skill in that profession comes from years of experience. I was in a meeting in Chicago on the RR Donnelly Building, which is a collonaded exterior facade rising 60 stories. The lighting designer being considered to illuminate the building opened his portfolio and the first project was the Parthenon. He got the job.

Lighting designers, and there are many talented firms. Skill in that profession comes from years of experience. I was in a meeting in Chicago on the RR Donnelly Building, which is a collonaded exterior facade rising 60 stories. The lighting designer being considered to illuminate the building opened his portfolio and the first project was the Parthenon. He got the job.

That's a heck of a trump card right there.

What size are you looking for? 10×10, etc.

I don't need anything too big. I was thinking 8x10-11. However, bigger is better! I can always use less, but never make a shed bigger. Just something to store odd things here and there.

Some of these sheds are amazing. Blows my mind that I can build a live-able shed in my backyard with hardwood and electrical for $50k. One that looks better than my house at that.

I'm reading this thread from the get go. One thing I have to say, Wheels, not even once, threw an insult at anybody.

+1.

Name callings were low point's in this thread. And the more some one is retarded in your opinion, the less you should call him/her a one. The thing is he/she might already know it bloody too well and deal with it on daily basis.

Maybe we should keep this as Architecture appreciation thread not an depreciation thread.

MrDoctor, are you looking at like a typical backyard shed? What about tuff shed? They put just about any size shed on a slab for you, with lots of interior options. Fairly economical as well, for a shed.

I'd rather have him call me every horrible name in the English dictionary than see him type

"BROKEN TRAILER"

again!

Surely you can see how one would lose his/her patience with him.

I'd rather have him call me every horrible name in the English dictionary than see him type

"BROKEN TRAILER"

again!

Surely you can see how one would lose his/her patience with him.

I love how nonchalantly he was telling you and others in this thread:

"You are misinformed/wrong about this", like you made a silly mistake picking which metro line to take to work.

I lost count how many times he did this, and I'm sure he's not done yet!

Is there anything dumber than telling accomplished successful individuals with good track records and years of experience that they are misinformed and suck at their job?

Even though no profanities were said by him I consider that plenty insulting and ignorant I might add.

I defended Wheels many times, even PM'ed some members whom I thought misunderstood him or were a bit harsh on him but he took this to another level, at first it was entertaining but after few hours of him repeating exactly the same thing over and over again he started to sound like a "broken trailer" and it got very tiring, his stubbornness is astounding, anyway I wish him nothing but the best, to be honest I have no negative feelings towards him, though I do pity his parents if this is how he behaves at home :icon_mrgreen:

Parthenon is great, but how difficult can it be to light up a regular building? I've done some looking around of night St Peterburg last night, and it seems (to an untrained eye) that the systems are - light up each window, and direct a light on a column. I have a feeling that can be learned in a month by shadowing the designer during installation? What made me curious is how to actually place the lights without them falling off, I have a feeling that's a big part of it.

Would appreciate more pointers on where to learn the basics of how it's done, what is the standard as well as upcoming innovations in light systems for this industry. What software do these folks use for mock ups of light design?

Parthenon is great, but how difficult can it be to light up a regular building? I've done some looking around of night St Peterburg last night, and it seems (to an untrained eye) that the systems are - light up each window, and direct a light on a column. I have a feeling that can be learned in a month by shadowing the designer during installation? What made me curious is how to actually place the lights without them falling off, I have a feeling that's a big part of it.

Would appreciate more pointers on where to learn the basics of how it's done, what is the standard as well as upcoming innovations in light systems for this industry. What software do these folks use for mock ups of light design?

Yeah, lights falling off of buildings is bad. LOL

There are two main professional societies for Lighting designers, the Illuminating Engineering Society(IES)- IES Home and the International Association of Lighting Designers(IALD)- IALD Home

There is a ton of information on those two sites and here are a couple of Lighting Designers that you may want to look at. There are hundreds:

LAM Partners

Schuler Shook

The business is constantly changing with new energy code regulations and new products coming to market like any business. LED luminaries are obviously very popular now for their energy consumption and ability to last for several years. This has allowed lighting to be located in places that are difficult to access.

Lighting is one of the key components in good architectural design and can absolutely make or break a project, whether you are lighting a concert hall or a sports stadium.

Is there anything dumber than telling accomplished successful individuals with good track records and years of experience that they are misinformed and suck at their job?

Even though no profanities were said by him I consider that plenty insulting and ignorant I might add.

I defended Wheels many times, even PM'ed some members whom I thought misunderstood him or were a bit harsh on him but he took this to another level, at first it was entertaining but after few hours of him repeating exactly the same thing over and over again he started to sound like a "broken trailer" and it got very tiring, his stubbornness is astounding, anyway I wish him nothing but the best, to be honest I have no negative feelings towards him, though I do pity his parents if this is how he behaves at home :icon_mrgreen:

:iamwithstupid:

Exactly. Hence why I considered him as trolling. And this isn't the first time. Some of you may recall the ping-pong that Wheels and I went through on WWII war crime with Wheels defending the Japanese. While I am no "expert", those who have been on LP long enough concur that I know something about Japan. Architectural preferences is subjective but guilty of war crime is trialed by a world tribunal with a definitive verdict. Why argue on something like that?

I did the same on defending Wheels on other issues and, at one point, even gave him advice when he PM'ed for it. And we all gave him encouragement and blessings when his mother was ill. To blindly defend one's believe non end based on nothing but stubbornness; however; and going against accomplished individuals and certified professionals in the field repeatedly using the same anecdotal and extreme examples are simply asking for it.

Anyway, rant's over...back on the original intend of the thread.

What do you guys think of this?

http://vancouverhouse.ca/

It hasn't been built at all so the link is a marketing tool if anything else. I'd like to hear the views on its unique appearance.

Fortis, I never said that you suck at your job. I do think you have some misconceptions about architecture though, that is all.

Had no idea you had done that Fortis, thank you :) For the record, I have no ill feelings towards you either. I have noticed on multiple forums I've debated on, whether politics or architecture, that it seems to drive people bananas when I talk politely. The reason is because I for some reason just lost any desire to insult people when debating and also it's a great way to get banned (throwing insults).

I mean am I supposed to be throwing insults out at capt_chaos for example? So it's a good habit to outgrow. However, it makes people think that I think I am some great mighty intellectual superior. At one forum, when debating, one person responded to my comments with, "So tell us, Oh Wise One..." the thing is, I DON'T think of myself that way, but I just do not see it as productive to speak with insults.