Best trucks?

BLK85

You wash your truck 3-4 times a week? If mine gets it 3x a month we're on a hot streak. :lol2:

You CA people are lucky. My truck lives at the car wash during the winter months. Between the mag chloride and salt, 1 roundtrip to and from work in bad weather and my headlights are so coated with crap they almost seem like they aren't on.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You CA people are lucky. My truck lives at the car wash during the winter months. Between the mag chloride and salt, 1 roundtrip to and from work in bad weather and my headlights are so coated with crap they almost seem like they aren't on.

Yup. And this is when you see just how well built a truck is. -20 degrees, fully loaded, in the middle of nowhere New Hampshire (Vermont, Maine, Wyoming, North Dakota, Alaska, Idaho, etc), towing/hauling, in a snowstorm. My truck gets salt spray from the ocean and the street as I live on the water and still looks and functions perfectly. The Mason I use has almost 400K on a 2000 7.3 F-350 he beats the shit out and the truck won't quit.

I too can't wait for the aluperduty. Trucks going to be the shit.

• 1 month later...

Without a doubt my truck has a super easy life in the grand scheme of most 3/4 ton diesel 4x4's. :icon_mrgreen:

I have never owned a truck but my favorite is the Sierra Denali with the dura max diesel.

Thats a damn nice truck, but I still can't wrap my head around $70k pickup trucks. Given deeper pockets it would be my first choice for a daily driver pickup truck.

Yup. And this is when you see just how well built a truck is. -20 degrees, fully loaded, in the middle of nowhere New Hampshire (Vermont, Maine, Wyoming, North Dakota, Alaska, Idaho, etc), towing/hauling, in a snowstorm. My truck gets salt spray from the ocean and the street as I live on the water and still looks and functions perfectly. The Mason I use has almost 400K on a 2000 7.3 F-350 he beats the shit out and the truck won't quit.

I too can't wait for the aluperduty. Trucks going to be the shit.

That 7.3 is a BEAST!

I have never owned a truck but my favorite is the Sierra Denali with the dura max diesel.

Diesel trucks are a bit of a pain in the ass when you dont need one and live in a cold climate.

This is for sale around here.. SRT hemi enginge put in, 420HP.

$50k Would love to own one around here for beach cruising.

post-11867-1424984292.jpg

Why is that?

I vote for Dodge

Well this is from my really good friend who has an 07.5 Dodge Ram 2500. When its really cold you have to warm them up, its not like a car where you can still drive just take it easy, they simply wont move if you put a load on them. Hell it was right around 0 when I left work today. If I dont give it enough gas it chugs and wants to die(2002 Audi A4 5 speed). Cold is weird. Plus for Diesels we get different fuels so they dont gel and it affects your mileage by xx%. Just diesels in general seem like a pain if you dont truly need one, in the summer said friend never unhooks his 44ft trailer and just drives a car. Sure the mileage is better than a gasser, but its more expensive too. But you pay more for a diesel on the front end too.

With my current life style I would pull zero. But if I get a truck I might, because I want to go racing. Thats kind of why Im leaning towards Dodge because a half ton can pull a 8,000lbs trailer well. I have a friend who had a 5.3L Chevy and a Range 621 boat, Chevy had problems pulling it. He bought a Ram 1500 and pulled the boat just fine, thats like 5,000lbs.

For a diesel, just need to get the engine block heater and they will crank right up. Even without them, as long as you let your glow plugs warm up, you should be ok. But they do take a long time to get up to normal operating temp in the cold. I'm looking to get another powerstroke.

For a diesel, just need to get the engine block heater and they will crank right up. Even without them, as long as you let your glow plugs warm up, you should be ok. But they do take a long time to get up to normal operating temp in the cold. I'm looking to get another powerstroke.

Whats a glow plug? Cummins or bust! :icon_mrgreen:

My truck originally came out of the Chicago area, and while it has the plug in engine block heater the previous owner said he never used it even in sub 0 temps. If you drive a lot in super cold they make covers that block off the grill to help keep them warm.

I will say for most people a new 1/2 ton is more than adequate. But if you want a 3/4 ton, go drive one of the gas engines that is making under 400 ft-lbs and get back to me. Nearing 8,000lbs empty is just miserable to drive with those puny gas motors.

Diesels are also more expensive just to operate. 2-1/2 gallons of oil, plus an external transmission filter that gets changed ever 10k miles. A $60 fuel filter that gets changed every 15k, and anything else you need is $$$ in comparison.

The ~$8k upcharge (new) for the diesel option isn't always worth it, just don't ever drive one if you're seriously considering the gas truck. And by all means look at the resale value of 3/4 ton trucks with gas engines vs those with the diesel. You'll make up damn near every bit of the price difference when you go to sell it.

100% agree. I couldn't do a gas truck after having my diesel. Even just for the sound lol. My 6.0 I never used the block heater and had no issues. My buddy has a final year 7.3 and he has a bear of a time getting that thing started without being plugged in, even in 30s and 40s weather.

In regards to towing I would buy a truck that is rated much higher than what you are planning to tow.

I used to tow my toy hauler at the capacity of my gas truck and it was absolutely horrible, now with a dually diesel I can pull anything with a clear conscious.

The slight difference of operating costs is worth it if you are towing.

I'm a Ford guy. Never liked the other interiors but they are getting better.

I've always been a Chevy guy (cars) but I've only bought Ford trucks specifically because of their interiors (I see the interior more that the exterior anyway...lol).

I currently drive a '12 F150 FX2 and love the truck. I have always purchased F250's for all of my companies service vehicles (basically because they have always had a more work horse look to them, IMO).

My only regret is I never bought the Raptor when I picked up my FX2. The Raptor is the only truck that I still think "WOW" every time I see one :monkeyleft: .

I will likely wait until the '17 Raptor comes out before I make my next move but. I think Ford dropped the ball on the '17 Raptor exterior appearance. IMO the current Raptor styling will be hard to beat.

Now as for the Chevy trucks... I think the Chevy Reaper is a total FAIL. :gay:

I have had a 2008 Ford F450 Super Duty and currently a 2012 F450 Super Duty and it currently has 38k miles on it. Dealer has replaced the the turbo already and A/C unit. I sold the 2008 with about 50k miles on it and the turbo was replaced at least two times that I remember.

I also have a Tundra 2010 and absolutely love it. Mind you it has been modified a bit but overall an amazing truck with 65k on it. Only services for this truck has been scheduled maintenance and that is pretty impressive for a true on and off road truck.

post-10287-1425148935_thumb.jpg

post-10287-1425148999_thumb.jpg

I have had a 2008 Ford F450 Super Duty and currently a 2012 F450 Super Duty and it currently has 38k miles on it. Dealer has replaced the the turbo already and A/C unit. I sold the 2008 with about 50k miles on it and the turbo was replaced at least two times that I remember.

I also have a Tundra 2010 and absolutely love it. Mind you it has been modified a bit but overall an amazing truck with 65k on it. Only services for this truck has been scheduled maintenance and that is pretty impressive for a true on and off road truck.

I see your murci likes to watch a little television :icon_mrgreen:

Toyota is great. I know I messaged you on facebook when you had your Tacoma for sale. My dad has a 12 or 13 Tacoma. And Ive been in a 12 Tundra. They are big on the inside, but I prefer the American trucks. Seems like they are more trucks stock. Yours is really bad ass though.

Im leaning towards either a Chevy or a Dodge. And the goal is getting a deal. So no top dog models. I have a 7 mile commute and any towing I would do would be in the summer on weekends only.

BLK, diesel is.going to hate 7 mile trips twice a day. A 1500 gas will be fine, but you need to give the big trucks time to get up to temp.

If one was shopping around for say a 2010 truck as a daily driver, what should they look for in terms of price and mileage? For example, 60K, 70K, 80K miles? $16K - $24K price?

I have a GMC duramax. I really enjoy it and have never had any issues with it expect the aftermarket 20inch rims eat up tires. But if your just doing a quick trip into town and wanna hop in and go than I would get a gas truck. Saying that I doubt I would get another diesel and wouldn't really recommend someone to get one unless they are towing really heavy. The new gas trucks ride great and are plenty powerful. The interior of all the trucks are sweet now. If you live somewhere cold the diesel will never get to temperature in that short 7 miles and you should really let them warm up before you drive them. Diesels also require more maintenance and have more filters, more emissions and you have to have DEF (diesel exhaust fluid) sitting around so you can keep topping the tank off with it. But there is that awesome factor of having a lifted twin turbo diesel truck because once you buy one you will instantly start modding it lol