Top gear is on hold

capt_chaos

I indeed took a look at this guy because I want to see it be a great show too. I'm sure he will be fine for a British audience. I just don't see Americans digging him like they did Clarkson, and it doesn't have anything to do with qualifications (Americans wouldn't know anyway). Some entertainment between the nations doesn't translate and some does, that's all. We may be pretty close, but we're still not living in the same culture. Even more American celebrity acts don't get any traction in the UK either.

Having said all that, I think an American watching Top Gear (the old Top Gear) is having a different experience than the native watching Top Gear -- they both love it for their own reasons and just don't realize that their reasons are different as TG's style worked on several levels. They only assume that they like it for the same reasons because, why not. American's basically abandoned their own Top Gear to watch the British Top Gear as evidence that it still worked better for them.

I think Chris Evans Top gear will do fine in the UK on BBC. But as far as bbc worldwide where all the profit is and generates like 50 million

a year they can kiss most of that goodbye.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This will be very interesting to to see how it pans out that's for sure...

What do you do if you are TG producer - keep roughly the same format with a completely different cast ?

Or go at it with a completely fresh approach ?

No doubt TG was getting a bit long in the tooth and had been on the decline for a few years IMO but if they mix it up too radically then it's almost certain to fail.

One thing it could be an inspired choice of presenter in Chris Evans. His record speaks for itself and if he can bring his magic to the show there's a good chance that it will succeed.

The only slight doubt in my mind is that CE was at his peak 15 - 20 years ago - and it's not overstating it to say he was a broadcasting genius at that time. Time will tell whether that genius has deserted him or not..

With all the time & money they've invested in TG over the years, the BBC cannot afford to cock this up.

I think we'll see a different format, otherwise the BBC will simply be accused of plugging a couple of celebs into the recently-vacated slots the three amigos resided in. One of the things us Brits hate is the Emperor's New clothes syndrome; don't tell us it's an all-new, all-singing, all dancing show if it's blatantly not.

As for CE's peak, one could say Clarkson's peak was a way back now; I have been catching up on old episodes of TG from maybe ten years ago, (on Dave; another TV network master-stroke), & the dynamic was there between the three of them back then, even early on. Recent episodes looked like they were going through the motions to a degree; a staleness that indicated familiarity, (& we know what that breeds), had started to set in.

Probably another reason why Clarkson turned down being reinstated; it's run it's course, as it is.

Good luck to Chris; I for one will be looking forward to TG when it re-launches.

(OT), as for side-kicks, I nominate Chris Harris & Guy Martin.

• 1 month later...

I hope it is unedited, I prefer to watch the actual UK episodes than the watered down US ones

I hope it is unedited, I prefer to watch the actual UK episodes than the watered down US ones

:iamwithstupid: Oh happy day :eusa_dance:

• 2 weeks later...

Clarkson's claiming they have carte blanche with Amazon. I think I'll wait til Clarkson states on-air that everyone in Chile is a lazy, inbred, uneducated prostitute-murderer that belongs in prison, before deciding whether that's an accurate statement.

No mention of ability to duck punches and provide hot food.

11824953_10155839937290459_6678979434222056742_n.jpg

i have a hotplate and can run multicam, where do i sign up.

• 4 weeks later...