Top gear is on hold

capt_chaos

So now that it is no longer alleged...he punched a guy at work. That is a do not pas go do not collect $200 go straight to jail type of issue.

Anyone still defending him and thinking they should just "hug it out/bro it out" and move on?

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So now that it is no longer alleged...he punched a guy at work. That is a do not pas go do not collect $200 go straight to jail type of issue.

Anyone still defending him and thinking they should just "hug it out/bro it out" and move on?

I'm admittedly not very PC at all, but I think there is a resolution here somewhere between doing nothing, and firing Clarkson, which we can all assume will kill a show, probably result in firing 100+ other people, and killing a 9 figure a year revenue stream.

The producer didn't file criminal charges to the best of my knowledge. I think I would sit them both down and see if they could reach a settlement agreement. Maybe propose Clarkson cuts this guy a check for $50k and we all get back to work. Clarkson most likely wouldn't do it again, producer guy I'm sure would be ok with it, and life goes on.

I realize it's way too pragmatic for a billion dollar corporation, but I think it would work.

As much as it suck and not withstanding our (my) selfish reason for wanting Top Gear to continue, this is just not acceptable. Even if the producer "had it coming" as some wannabe #YouTuber journalists and media personalities, violence in the workplace is a no no. Nothing get you bounced faster by me than what he did. I have zero tolerance.

Jeremy is talented, he will go on and likely do something even bigger with the trio or he could just sit back and retire and enjoy his life. This will be a lesson well learned not just for him but for the millions of young fans who need to know there are consequences to one's actions. Be prepared to live it them.

I'm admittedly not very PC at all, but I think there is a resolution here somewhere between doing nothing, and firing Clarkson, which we can all assume will kill a show, probably result in firing 100+ other people, and killing a 9 figure a year revenue stream.

The producer didn't file criminal charges to the best of my knowledge. I think I would sit them both down and see if they could reach a settlement agreement. Maybe propose Clarkson cuts this guy a check for $50k and we all get back to work. Clarkson most likely wouldn't do it again, producer guy I'm sure would be ok with it, and life goes on.

I realize it's way too pragmatic for a billion dollar corporation, but I think it would work.

:iamwithstupid:

I feel for the 100+ other people that will be out of a job. The hosts will be fine.

I don't condone it but this can't be generalized to a work is work type deal. In an office environment, definitely not ok and should be a firable offense. But say 2 NFL players got heated during practice and one throws a punch. The team isn't going to fire him. Working on a tv or movie set is somewhere in between. We still don't know what fracas means...threw a bunch, decked him, swung and missed, etc. Still don't condone it but I don't think it can be generalized and for the reasons mentioned above, I can't see how getting rid of him is in the best interest for any of them. Hell even that producer who got punched could be looking for work soon because of it. Greater good sometimes needs to prevail.

Being a huge Top Gear fan and having seen every episode with the three amigos this is bad news. Here is a bit more detail.

http://transmission.blogs.topgear.com/2015...nt-on-clarkson/

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-32052736

The key point from Tony Hall IMO was: "There cannot be one rule for one and one rule for another dictated by either rank, or public relations and commercial considerations." His hands were tied from that perspective.

Off topic for a second, but I saw a post regarding Charlie Sheen on Two and a Half Men so I thought of this. For anyone who was a huge fan of that show, this was an interesting article/interview with Jon Cryer. Talks about what was really going on during that meltdown and how Sheen unraveled right up until he left the show.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/jon-...e-insane-782410

Unless they have something in their contract saying "no car-related show for X years after you are released from the contract", they will be fine, or maybe even better off. And by that I don't condone the verbal abuse or punch(es)(?), but the fact that it's a good excuse to re-invent the show (or a new show rather).

I just hope they stick together!

I definitely condone violence if catered food is late. A punch to the head is getting off easy. I suggest a kick to the balls as well.

I definitely condone violence if catered food is late. A punch to the head is getting off easy. I suggest a kick to the balls as well.

Smart! Can't have a bruised shoe. No evidence

This will be a lesson well learned not just for him but for the millions of young fans who need to know there are consequences to one's actions. Be prepared to live it them.

Unfortunately the lesson many young people would take from this is. If you're popular enough you'll land on your feet and there are no real consequences.

but that's almost always been the case with celebrities.

Terrible business decision, I would've fined him and compensated the other guy without making others suffer as a result, anyway who cares? Life goes on!

Terrible business decision, I would've fined him and compensated the other guy without making others suffer as a result, anyway who cares? Life goes on!

No one is bigger than a company and especially when that company is under fire for various stories of screen talent bullying others. The BBC did not need this, it is not their fight, literally and their hand was forced.

The legal ramifications of fining contractors is head spinning hence they get dropped.

But Porter is correct.

No one is bigger than a company and especially when that company is under fire for various stories of screen talent bullying others. The BBC did not need this, it is not their fight, literally and their hand was forced.

The legal ramifications of fining contractors is head spinning hence they get dropped.

But Porter is correct.

Of course Porter is correct :icon_mrgreen:

Unless they have something in their contract saying "no car-related show for X years after you are released from the contract", they will be fine, or maybe even better off. And by that I don't condone the verbal abuse or punch(es)(?), but the fact that it's a good excuse to re-invent the show (or a new show rather).

I just hope they stick together!

I ANAL.... Oh... Wait....

I don't think they can essentially fire him (even for cause), AND enforce a non-compete (in the unlikely event he has one.... Nearly unheard of in entertainment talent agreements- only exception I can think of is Art Bells contract w/ Sirius Xm because of his history of "serial retiring" and coming back...

I would also think the non compete would be limited to the term of the employment contract, which by all,accounts sounds like it's up....

None competes are incredibly hard to enforce, especially in personal service contracts, and are ALWAYS interpreted against the employer and in favor of personal freedom and economic mobility.

He seriously painted them into a corner here... It's can him, or(and?) get their asses sued off by the employee... Further... If they keep him, and he does it again, and really ends up hurting somebody, they are essentially bankrupted by the subsequent lawsuits...

I ANAL.... Oh... Wait....

I don't think they can essentially fire him (even for cause), AND enforce a non-compete (in the unlikely event he has one.... Nearly unheard of in entertainment talent agreements- only exception I can think of is Art Bells contract w/ Sirius Xm because of his history of "serial retiring" and coming back...

I would also think the non compete would be limited to the term of the employment contract, which by all,accounts sounds like it's up....

None competes are incredibly hard to enforce, especially in personal service contracts, and are ALWAYS interpreted against the employer and in favor of personal freedom and economic mobility.

How do entertainment non compete contracts workout when they are not an employee but a contractor?

How do entertainment non compete contracts workout when they are not an employee but a contractor?

I don't know what you're asking... He is a contractual employee (not an independant contractor). I don't know if the British definitions are different (probably not, we got them from you).

In short, employees get told what to do and how to do it, and are provided the stuff to do it with... Contractors are "independant" so unless he's bringing his own mics, buying his own cars, writing his own lines, and working without a director, he's an employee.

My secretary is an employee... My cleaning lady is an independent contractor... I can't tell either they can't work for somebody else if I fiire their asses...

Jeremy is talented, he will go on and likely do something even bigger with the trio

You know what... I think this might be the only thing he CANT do... A third party producer can't take those three dudes, have them doing witty banter about automobiles, and not get their asses sued off for infringement...

I can't get the entire cast of Big Bang theory, call it "two nerds and a hot chick" and not get my ass sued off...

So I'm sitting here... And told my boy clarkson was fired.... He says "who will they replace him with? Jay Leno?"

:shock:

I think my kids a freakin genius.

So I'm sitting here... And told my boy clarkson was fired.... He says "who will they replace him with? Jay Leno?"

Leno is to intelligent & knowledgeable for that bunch.

[Jeremy is talented, he will go on and likely do something even bigger with the trio]

You know what... I think this might be the only thing he CANT do... A third party producer can't take those three dudes, have them doing witty banter about automobiles, and not get their asses sued off for infringement...

I can't get the entire cast of Big Bang theory, call it "two nerds and a hot chick" and not get my ass sued off...

Channel 5 already did that with Fifth Gear. It was (and largely still is) comprised of pre-relaunch Top Gear presenters doing more or less what they were doing on pre-relaunch Top Gear.

I guess the main difference is that there's a lot more at stake now. Fifth Gear never stood a chance of being one of the most popular shows on the planet.

Channel 5 already did that with Fifth Gear. It was (and largely still is) comprised of pre-relaunch Top Gear presenters doing more or less what they were doing on pre-relaunch Top Gear.

I guess the main difference is that there's a lot more at stake now. Fifth Gear never stood a chance of being one of the most popular shows on the planet.

I'm not familiar with the history of Top Gear etc. but from what I can see, fifth gear was created while Top Gear had been cancelled? Then BBC later brought itop gear back in a considerably different format than the original, keeping only the name?

That's a big deal. Ideas (and titles for that matter) are not "copyrightable". It's that underlying specific creative formula, (in studio live audience, review, on location ridiculous challenge, the reasonably priced car celebrity lap/ interview, the stig, etc), and the three lead "character" ensemble (remember, they are real people, but they are still delivering the lines written for them, by writers who are creating "characters" out of regular normal people- who possess the comedic talent to deliver them) that make top gear, top gear, and the BBC can protect those.

It's a sliding scale... You can take a piece, (Clarkson the snarky host) and be fine... But there comes a point where you take "too much" and you cross that line...,,where the line is specifically nobody can exactly say, but I would say stealing the entire ensemble is over it.

You can see how important the whole mix is by looking at "American Top Gear" which tried the entire formula, step by step, but with three different, slightly more cardboard performers playing the lead characters, and it was pretty much a flop, with the original Brit version still being more popular than the Americanized copy.

:iamwithstupid: