$15hr Fast Food Workers

Tara

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If only people understood basic economics. Is that asking to much?

Most people probably aren't qualified to vote, it's just that the alternative is worse.

Most people probably aren't qualified to vote, it's just that the alternative is worse.

No, i'm more than aware that most people aren't qualified to vote. The older I get the less and less I like dealing with the general public.

This is a very interesting discussion, especially to someone from Australia where minimum wage is $17.50 and as Fortis mentioned, any trade starts at at $50 per hour if you can get one.

As many of you have eluded to, the tradeoffs are that everything becomes expensive, Sydney has just surpassed $1m median house price. I actually decided to eat some artery hardening McDonalds today (i was in a rush) and a small Big Mac Meal was around $9.## (i didnt actually pay attention to the exact amount) and a 6 inch sub for my lunch most days is $7.70. I guess my point with this is that if wages across the board increase the market will find its equilibrium. and dont get me started on how much Tax we pay here. An Average Australian income earner is in the 34% tax bracket, i think in the US an average wage pays 25%? and you can deduct the expenses of your home?

The benefit's that we do have in Aus i guess are universal health care, and no Tipping. God I hate tipping, not because i'm a cheapskate, but I just dont know where or when to tip when i'm in your fine country. Do i tip the cashier at the Vons? what about at a Starbucks? it does my head in.

This is a very interesting discussion, especially to someone from Australia where minimum wage is $17.50 and as Fortis mentioned, any trade starts at at $50 per hour if you can get one.

As many of you have eluded to, the tradeoffs are that everything becomes expensive, Sydney has just surpassed $1m median house price. I actually decided to eat some artery hardening McDonalds today (i was in a rush) and a small Big Mac Meal was around $9.## (i didnt actually pay attention to the exact amount) and a 6 inch sub for my lunch most days is $7.70. I guess my point with this is that if wages across the board increase the market will find its equilibrium. and dont get me started on how much Tax we pay here. An Average Australian income earner is in the 34% tax bracket, i think in the US an average wage pays 25%? and you can deduct the expenses of your home?

The benefit's that we do have in Aus i guess are universal health care, and no Tipping. God I hate tipping, not because i'm a cheapskate, but I just dont know where or when to tip when i'm in your fine country. Do i tip the cashier at the Vons? what about at a Starbucks? it does my head in.

Tipping in the US isn't that hard. Sit down restaurant...tip 20% for a good meal and service. Hotel Concierge...tip what you feel like based on the request you made. Valet...tip upfront based on the car you have and HOW you want it treated. Delivery guy...tip based on the item you ordered and the weather conditions you put the delivery guy through to bring it to you.

That should just about cover it.

Tipping in the US isn't that hard. Sit down restaurant...tip 20% for a good meal and service. Hotel Concierge...tip what you feel like based on the request you made. Valet...tip upfront based on the car you have and HOW you want it treated. Delivery guy...tip based on the item you ordered and the weather conditions you put the delivery guy through to bring it to you.

Uhhh...yeah but I've been in Spain for a month now and NOT having to do all that is so much better. I stopped feeling guilty or weird after 2 weeks and now it's pure bliss - you see the bill, you put the money down and you leave. And guess what, the staff has been very very nice and friendly. I don't know if this is just spain but I am blown away every time by the friendliness.

Yes well just give it time for the reality to set in as it has in Seattle.

Seattle sees fallout from 15 dollar minimum wage

I came in to post this!

I was just in SEA and couldn't believe they were adverting $11 as the starting wage at the McD's I stopped at.

When I worked at McD's I was paid min wage and it motivated me the most, out of anything else I've experienced in life thus far, to finish school and do better in life.

I came in to post this!

I was just in SEA and couldn't believe they were adverting $11 as the starting wage at the McD's I stopped at.

When I worked at McD's I was paid min wage and it motivated me the most, out of anything else I've experienced in life thus far, to finish school and do better in life.

My very first 'real' job was at Burger King when I was 14. I made $4.35 an hour, under minimum wage but somehow allowed since I was young. Not sure how it worked but I was just grateful to have a job I could work at after school to save up money. On the weekends I would ref soccer games, mow lawns / rake leaves / shovel driveways.

Growing up means taking responsibility of your own future.

There's some people who will never understand, you are paid for talent. If your talent is worth a lot, you get paid a lot.

Unfortunately too many people don't understand that and a media doesn't seem to understand that one either, unless of course it relates to them and then of course they should make 200x as much as a camera man, a gaffer, or sound guy.

Haha ... wait a sec - are we saying for every action, there's a reaction??

What is this heresy? The government is supposed to take care of all my problems and this large "economy" is to blame for my current lot in life :lol2: GTFO

Problem is most people want it to part take of the feast but don't want to help get food, prep it, or even set the f*cking table. They want to stay on the couch and have everything brought to them. A minimum wage job is not by design meant to be a long term family supporting solution. It is meant as a temporary place to learn income management and help train for bigger and better things. That's why it's the perfect job for teens. The intent it well placed but the execution and basic economics just aren't feasible. When will folks learn... :jackoff:

Just charge me more, build the tip in, don't ask me to decide on the spot your worth to me in pennies and cents.

Two nights ago I went to dinner with a friend and my brother, the girl who served us was an absolute character and she recommend some great food, when I paid the bill I said put on an extra $20 for yourself, she said why? I said because of great service, she said there was no need, the whole situation was so damn awkward, kind of like I don't need your money, just pay your bill and go, I felt I've done something inapropriate.

I hate tipping, just charge me whatever and let's move on.

My brother and sister-in-law went to Japan last year. They said the same thing

Best customer service I've ever experienced.

Uhhh...yeah but I've been in Spain for a month now and NOT having to do all that is so much better. I stopped feeling guilty or weird after 2 weeks and now it's pure bliss - you see the bill, you put the money down and you leave. And guess what, the staff has been very very nice and friendly. I don't know if this is just spain but I am blown away every time by the friendliness.

One question as a side issue, but when travelling in say Europe or Japan, how does one make due if they don't speak the language?

One question as a side issue, but when travelling in say Europe or Japan, how does one make due if they don't speak the language?

Not sure about others but I employ a collection of midgets who are each versed in multiple languages. Usually they fit snugly in a Samsonite, and as long as you leave a couple of holes they make it through the flight.

Wheels, there is a smart guy that has a big mailing list, and he emails people on that list each month. This is the last line of his list. Write it on a piece of paper and tape it to the monitor.

All I ask, if you decide to email me back, is that you're not just thinking aloud.

Not sure about others but I employ a collection of midgets who are each versed in multiple languages. Usually they fit snugly in a Samsonite, and as long as you leave a couple of holes they make it through the flight.

Wheels, there is a smart guy that has a big mailing list, and he emails people on that list each month. This is the last line of his list. Write it on a piece of paper and tape it to the monitor.

All I ask, if you decide to email me back, is that you're not just thinking aloud.

Just was a basic question :tyson:

Just was a basic question :tyson:

It was a ridiculous question, you asking those type of questions once again because you are lacking real world experience, get your skates on and a backpack and go see the world, after you do that, revisit your question and see what you think about it.

It was a ridiculous question, you asking those type of questions once again because you are lacking real world experience, get your skates on and a backpack and go see the world, after you do that, revisit your question and see what you think about it.

I wouldn't go visit anywhere without first making sure I could communicate in the area that I was travelling to.

Alright, to go off topic, someone told me of his Canadian buddy in Japan doing this.

He would walk up to a Japanese person, stop them in the street and say - Sumimasen - 'excuse me' In Japanese. When they stop and look at him, he'd go with the perfect Canadian English - "So I am staying at a place like five miles from here, I wanna find a bus back to where I am staying, which one of these buses goes over there? Any idea what time they go until?" They'd just stare back for awhile. :D

I wouldn't go visit anywhere without first making sure I could communicate in the area that I was travelling to.

Well, that explains some things. Do the problems begin at the end of the driveway or at the first stop light? :P

:lol2:

Just charge me more, build the tip in, don't ask me to decide on the spot your worth to me in pennies and cents.

:iamwithstupid:

Though I do have a pretty elaborate tipping system:

Supercar Ace Tipping Super System (SCATSS) These are all typical minimums +/- a few % depending on the case:

Base Tip = 25% (I like to tip well) :icon_thumleft:

Tell a few jokes = %30

Bubbly, upbeat, and/or fun personality = 35%

Depressed, sad, kill-your-self personality = 18% (use it to get therapy) :eusa_naughty:

Hot/cute girl and cool = 40% :icon_mrgreen:

Hot/cute girl and super cool = 50% + Let's go get some drinks. What time is your shift over? :eusa_dance:

Hot/cute girl and mediocre/terrible = 15% (looks aren't enough)

Dude and cool = 40%

Dude and super cool = 50% + let's hang buddy :drunk:

You like cars too = 45% (rock on :icon_super: ) :headbang:

You remember me from last time = 30%

You remember my beverage of choice from last time = 40%

It's Christmas Eve/Day = $100 min (Merry Christmas, more $$ for higher bills)

You let me valet my own car and keep the key without hassle = 80% :icon_pray:

You give me crap and refuse to let me self park = $1

Part II will be added later

Wait, you're supposed to tip delivery guys (like UPS and Fedex)? Tipping in the US is stupid. I get tipping at restaurant, but really they should just get a higher wage to start with (just increase the food price by 20% and cut it to the employees, the customer is paying for it either way)

Are you serious?

Most places people speak English, if not learn a few key phrases in the local language. You can get pretty far just by pointing at shit and using basic hand gestures. If all that fails open your smartphone to http://translate.google.com and type in what you want to say in English and have it translate to the language of where you are and show them your phone screen.

Edit: I really think you need to travel some. If you're really concerned about the language go somewhere they speak English. Go to the UK or you can go to Australia and visit Fortis to discuss architecture in person :lol2: