Huracán Spyder

a007apl

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question: Why on earth are so many people up in arms over a soft top vs. a hard top?? It's a freaking roof. It covers your scalp. A soft top is lighter, probably much easier to package and be stowable, and frankly looks a thousand times cooler than a convertible hard top (which generally tend to look like a slightly wonkier version of the coupe). This thing looks slick as all hell with that top up!

Generally agreed, but for some reason, modern hard-tops are lighter than soft-tops. McLaren and Ferrari's folding hard-tops add just 40kg, whereas Lambo's soft-top adds 120kg.

It's a weird choice, because the Huracan Spider's backside looks fat enough to hold a hard-top, and it seems to be the preference for most buyers (not me, I hate the extra panel gaps when the roof's up).

Presumably either they wanted to do something different to Ferrari (which would be a first, they didn't mind copying the 458's steering wheel indicator/wiper switches or dial cluster MMI screen), or they couldn't afford to develop a new roof system.

I agree, most hard top exotics have much less of an open area since the tops are so small, and they build up the back 'humps'.... more like targa to me...

If you look at the Gallardo spyder, there are no big humps, it's a more streamlined look...

so here we have a soft top with the humps, which to me means they will come out with a hard top version later on...

the McLaren spider adds 80 pounds, why does the Huracan add 3x as much!

Generally agreed, but for some reason, modern hard-tops are lighter than soft-tops. McLaren and Ferrari's folding hard-tops add just 40kg, whereas Lambo's soft-top adds 120kg.

It's a weird choice, because the Huracan Spider's backside looks fat enough to hold a hard-top, and it seems to be the preference for most buyers (not me, I hate the extra panel gaps when the roof's up).

Presumably either they wanted to do something different to Ferrari (which would be a first, they didn't mind copying the 458's steering wheel indicator/wiper switches or dial cluster MMI screen), or they couldn't afford to develop a new roof system.

I agree, most hard top exotics have much less of an open area since the tops are so small, and they build up the back 'humps'.... more like targa to me...

If you look at the Gallardo spyder, there are no big humps, it's a more streamlined look...

so here we have a soft top with the humps, which to me means they will come out with a hard top version later on...

the McLaren spider adds 80 pounds, why does the Huracan add 3x as much!

:iamwithstupid:

That blue cepheus with similar interior looks great. Should have dark blue top though.

if that weight penalty is true it is horrible amount of extra mass. :o

I would of thought that canvas roof is a lot easier to do light weight....

I doubt it's the roof itself that adds weight, it's more likely the strengthening of the chassis that is the culprit.

McLaren has a carbon tub which is a lot more rigid so less strengthening needed, the 458 sufferes from scuttle shake so maybe they didn't beef it up enough..

Anyway, very pretty car!

This car looks great and I am sure the top will be down most of the time but from someone that has had numerous soft top and a few hard top converts the advantages of a hard top are many. The biggest plus is that a hardtop won't start looking bad after a while like a soft top can. You will start to get creases and thread pulls that will happen after a while. You are also subject to sun fade and little bullshit things like washing your car is not as easy. Def not a deal breaker and may not make any difference to many but if given the choice between the two I would think most feel like a hardtop is the better way to go.

i love how the rear engine cover angles up towards the seats of the car. it's so much a cleaner look than the flat rear engine bonnet of the gallardo and r8's. all in all, i love it!

Saw a Verde Ithaca, they didn't want me to take pictures or anything, which is lame since the car will be showed to the public in two days...

This is the one I was talking about the other day, only crap pics atm, was looking for some better pics but didn't find any yet, and I won't have time to go to the show

CPuo5MzWEAAamk1.jpg

Sans_titre_1.jpg

Sans_titre_1.jpg