StarWars; Spoilers there maybe

RobberBaron

That is my OCD acting up. Anytime I see an opinion I disagree with, I feel the need to state why. Will try to work on that.

I think it's a good idea to explain yourself Wheels! You're not wrong, it's just an opinion and I love the conversations you provoke! :icon_mrgreen:

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that second plane a Mig?

Kinda right once again :icon_mrgreen:

The P51 evolved into the FJ-1 Fury which was a Mustang with a jet engine. This in turn evolved into the F-86 Sabre (which was very similar to Mig-15)...

But we are getting off topic and THIS is where I become concerned for your safety Wheels...

Back to thread:

I just wish we had SMELLIVISION so you could really get a real feel for the Millenium Falcon. Old warplanes have a certain smell (as do old race cars). My old 911 always stank of oil when I got into it and then the gasoline vapors would roll over you as it started... I bet the Falcon would just stink (in a good way)! :eek3dance:

So don't bother. But if you must, while you are at it, why don't you start writing an essay on the impossibility of the light sabre as well.

LMAO

I feel like this is a tough crowd.. (giggle)

I'll just stand over here against the wall and watch.. :icon_mrgreen:

Soldiers, fighter planes, and aircraft carriers of today look pretty similar to how they looked forty years ago (1976). For example, both the F-15 and the F-16 have been in service I think since 1976, so forty years as of now. But also, I would have to disagree with you on the storm troopers, X-Wings, and TIE fighters not looking different. They look similar, having the same basic design, but there are also visual differences between all of the ones used in the film versus in the originals. The Super Star Destroyer looked the same however.

If you really want to get into the minutia. It's a management problem. The Empire and it's surrogates have an internal culture problem, running a business through fear will generally stop feedback to senior management as evidenced by the continuing death star program. Any organization to function at it's optimum needs information to flow freely up and down for long term success.

Capital ships cost a lot of money, death stars even more. If the Empire keeps blowing their operating budgets on this failed concept of the death star - what is it - 3?? destroyed in less than 40 years, all by small fighters, there isn't any money for additional development of their existing technologies. They lost their tax base in episode 6, betting they resorted to the usual drug running/kidnapping/weapons manufacture/stuff North Korea or ISIS do to finance their downsized operation. The war planning/product management team that rolled out the business plan to build the last planet based death star in episode 7 probably suffered a very painful death. Where was that scene? Was it a stoning by a committee of ex imperial actuaries?

So everything basically looks the same. Reminds me of another superpower that keeps rolling out expensive and unnecessary capital equipment to fight asymmetrical wars. Actually if you look at the sleek ships from episodes 1, 2 and 3 one could argue episodes 4, 5, 6 and 7 are a dark age in a distant galaxy far far away.

Actually if you look at the sleek ships from episodes 1, 2 and 3 one could argue episodes 4, 5, 6 and 7 are a dark age in a distant galaxy far far away.

Right? what happened to that tech?

If you really want to get into the minutia. It's a management problem. The Empire and it's surrogates have an internal culture problem, running a business through fear will generally stop feedback to senior management as evidenced by the continuing death star program. Any organization to function at it's optimum needs information to flow freely up and down for long term success.

Capital ships cost a lot of money, death stars even more. If the Empire keeps blowing their operating budgets on this failed concept of the death star - what is it - 3?? destroyed in less than 40 years, all by small fighters, there isn't any money for additional development of their existing technologies. They lost their tax base in episode 6, betting they resorted to the usual drug running/kidnapping/weapons manufacture/stuff North Korea or ISIS do to finance their downsized operation. The war planning/product management team that rolled out the business plan to build the last planet based death star in episode 7 probably suffered a very painful death. Where was that scene? Was it a stoning by a committee of ex imperial actuaries?

So everything basically looks the same. Reminds me of another superpower that keeps rolling out expensive and unnecessary capital equipment to fight asymmetrical wars. Actually if you look at the sleek ships from episodes 1, 2 and 3 one could argue episodes 4, 5, 6 and 7 are a dark age in a distant galaxy far far away.

One could make the argument that the Death Star / Star Killer programs were successful, their main downfall being leaked intelligence and failure to get significant intelligence on their enemy.

The first Death Star was built in secret and successfully demonstrated it's destructive capacity by wiping out the planet Alederan in a single shot. The inability of the Imperial intelligence units to find the Rebel base on Yavin IV at the time ultimately led to it's down fall. The Death Star II was still under construction, yet was still fully operational and capable of defending itself. However, lack of intelligence on the location of the rebel base and the allowance of the Shuttle Tyderium to land on the Forest Moon of Endor caused the downfall of that station as well. Star Killer wiped out the Hosnian System and was able to resist an aerial assault. It was only destroyed due to ground infiltration lead by former Stormtrooper FN-2187.(Finn).

So form a weapons standpoint, all 3 super weapons systems were pretty flawless in their own right, but a lack of intelligence, intelligence theft and lack of pro-action caused each system to fail. The Empire and First Order should have utilized tighter security measures. The weapons systems themselves, I would argue, were not the issue (except perhaps with the first Death Star), but more so the Empire and First Order's tactics in defending those systems.

Death Star - Tighter security to prevent information leak, design analysis audit (done too late) to correct the major design flaw. Needed more TIE fighters to patrol the trench.

Death Star II - Intentionally leaked intel as bait (possible tactical error), Darth Vader allows the Shuttle Tyderium to land (critical tactical error).

Star Killer Baser - Infiltrated by ground team, needed more security in the reactor section.

I'm into this thread now so enjoy...

That can be explained fairly easily. The Rebel Alliance is a small, rag-tag band without the economic resources of the Empire. So for them, they had to build an army on the cheap (if you research their vehicles many were civilian but retro-fitted for military purposes). So their "lack of tech" is due to having to make due with what they can find (much like how the the Koreans and Vietcong used old Russian tech in the respective wars).

The Empire on the other hand, does has vast economic resources but also has a strict, militaristic organizational structured, which means that everything has a need for cost-effectiveness and standardization across the board. Since when they rose to power they where unopposed initially because of the end of a major galaxy wide conflict, their tech did not need to evolve as they where already in control of a vast majority of the known universe.

Of course, at the end of it all, and most importantly, it's a f*cking movie

I'm into this thread now so enjoy...

That can be explained fairly easily. The Rebel Alliance is a small, rag-tag band without the economic resources of the Empire. So for them, they had to build an army on the cheap (if you research their vehicles many were civilian but retro-fitted for military purposes). So their "lack of tech" is due to having to make due with what they can find (much like how the the Koreans and Vietcong used old Russian tech in the respective wars).

The Empire on the other hand, does has vast economic resources but also has a strict, militaristic organizational structured, which means that everything has a need for cost-effectiveness and standardization across the board. Since when they rose to power they where unopposed initially because of the end of a major galaxy wide conflict, their tech did not need to evolve as they where already in control of a vast majority of the known universe.

Of course, at the end of it all, and most importantly, it's a f*cking movie

After I posted that- I had the thought to edit and say: well, that was the ship that the queen (or was she senate at the time) was traveling in. I suppose it would be higher end than your average rebel's 81 citation.

One could make the argument that the Death Star / Star Killer programs were successful, their main downfall being leaked intelligence and failure to get significant intelligence on their enemy.

The first Death Star was built in secret and successfully demonstrated it's destructive capacity by wiping out the planet Alederan in a single shot.

Again bad management and culture. How can you design something that deadly with all those defensive flaws and allow all those leaks. Reminds me of a VW diesel under budget for a reason. In the first movie I think the rebels even state the death star was designed to engage capital ships (probably of the old republic) and not the much smaller X wing fighters.

Hubris too, if you realize you are all in on the death star and while it has a lot of fire power, it wasn't designed to counter the current threat, why show your hand and blow up Alederan, if the only planet that counts is where the rebels actually are based, just imagine if they had got there an hour earlier. Once death star 1 was destroyed who thought versions 2 and 3 were a good idea. It's all about deployment of your resources.

So the Empire/Trade Federation was destroyed in #3 - Roman Empire 300 - 400AD. No hot baths in Europe for a 1,000 years.

For all those who liked this movie....how the fcuk do the x wing ,tie fighters , storm troopers and empire battle ships all look exactly the same 40 years in the future? This movie sucked all around

Do these look exactly the same to you?

jnhwi7z.jpg

stormtrooper_helmet_vs_episode_vii_comparison.jpg.1b35765f72a47742dc634cac9b6a4f4b.jpg

Well IMO Darth Maul wasn't per se very realistic either. Lots of un-necessary twirling of his light saber, along with un-necessary acrobatic maneuvers (like side aerial cartwheel and butterfly twist). The guy who played him, Ray Park, is a wushu practitioner. I actually thought the fights in this film were some of the best done. They were rather clunky and boring in the originals, then way too ridiculously flashy in the prequels, and in-between for this film IMO.

Well, take a look at some of the atrocious fan films on YouTube. TFA fights look just like those. Like two Star Wars dorks going at it with light clubs. In EP1, they were supposed to be at a time when the Jedi were at the peak of their order. Their skills and knowledge were mature and refined. It makes sense to have such dynamic fast fights that end up needing to be highly choreographed and practiced for weeks. Darth Maul's intro, leaping and spinning off the speeder and slashing down at Qui Gon was the perfect intro to what this dude was all about as a vicious fast moving weapon of evil. That's the only aspect of EP1 that I would say was well done. I never saw any of his moves as unnecessary and, if anything, meant as a tease to the Jedi who he considered to be less skilled than himself. Vader in the OT was admittedly a handicapped senior citizen and Luke was minimally trained. The comparatively tame but emotionally charged fights they had made sense in the OT. In TFA, the scenes looked to have very little choreography or investment where this Kylo Ren cat is supposed to be at least fairly well trained. Maybe not Darth Maul-level, but definitely not ComicCon-level. The non-trained cast members shouldn't have even ignited the saber more than once and the writers should have found a different direction. Not to mention, the self-injuring triple-blade concept was asinine...trying way to hard to be innovative when they didn't need to.

Well, take a look at some of the atrocious fan films on YouTube. TFA fights look just like those. Like two Star Wars dorks going at it with light clubs. In EP1, they were supposed to be at a time when the Jedi were at the peak of their order. Their skills and knowledge were mature and refined. It makes sense to have such dynamic fast fights that end up needing to be highly choreographed and practiced for weeks. Darth Maul's intro, leaping and spinning off the speeder and slashing down at Qui Gon was the perfect intro to what this dude was all about as a vicious fast moving weapon of evil. That's the only aspect of EP1 that I would say was well done. I never saw any of his moves as unnecessary and, if anything, meant as a tease to the Jedi who he considered to be less skilled than himself.

I agree that Darth Maul's intro was bad-ass, however I disagree on his moves being unnecessary.

Vader in the OT was admittedly a handicapped senior citizen and Luke was minimally trained. The comparatively tame but emotionally charged fights they had made sense in the OT. In TFA, the scenes looked to have very little choreography or investment where this Kylo Ren cat is supposed to be at least fairly well trained. Maybe not Darth Maul-level, but definitely not ComicCon-level. The non-trained cast members shouldn't have even ignited the saber more than once and the writers should have found a different direction. Not to mention, the self-injuring triple-blade concept was asinine...trying way to hard to be innovative when they didn't need to.

Vader I think was just a result of bad choreography. I think his fights could have been done a lot better. On the non-trained members lighting up the saber, well Finn had to as it was the only weapon he had. And then Rey obviously has The Force in her to a good degree, so she was a natural in ways that the ordinary non-trained person could not be. I actually thought the triple blade saber made for a safer design, because that feature helps prevent one's opponent from being able to slide their lightsaber blade down and take off their hand (that's why certain real swords had that feature). The really dangerous design, IMO, was Darth Maul's.

• 3 weeks later...

So I was reading, an interesting Easter Egg of the film is that the Stormtrooper that Rey does the Jedi mind trick on is actually played by Daniel Craig! He was filming one of his Bond movies and they were at the same location, so he sauntered onto the Star Wars set and got the part.

The other bit of news is that Disney is making some spin-off Star Wars films in addition to the ones continuing the saga. The next film is called "Star Wars: Rogue One" and is a prequel that takes place before the original trilogy (but apparently after the original prequels).

• 2 months later...
Star wars geek here, just wanted to say: May the 4Th be with you. Have a nice day

Hate to give away my age but I remember saying that in May 1977