The L-Power Official greatest Albums of all time discussion thread

Roman

A bit off topic but I am really curious here...

I have heard on various occasions from this forum and many many times elsewhere about people praising headphones. I honestly do not quite get it. Regrets to Doc K and all those who praised on headphones. :turboalex: And I am not trashing headphones as they have indeed come a long way and especially taken giant leaps in the past 5 years. But they are far from being desirable when compare to speakers on sonic attributes.

I may be answering to my own question already especially coming from an audiophile's point of view. Speakers are not exactly small and/or portable. And you need an entire set up (at least one other big box) to make them play. And, admittedly, I too was initially amazed when I heard the first "Walkman" many many moons ago. But headphones and earbuds just aren't comparable to real speakers. It's almost like comparing a turbo-charged/super-charged V6 to a normally aspirated V12. Yes, they both do the job and the V6 can be rather good with some positive attributes. But nothing can replace good old displacement. The same can almost be said about speakers. True that you need to know about speaker placement and how they react to the room whereas for headphones, one simply wears them on your head or plug them in your ears. But once your experienced the difference --- which is night and day --- there is no substitute or turning back.

One cannot get proper soundstage and correct imaging with headphones. The left & right and/or "surround" effects might be cool initially but they are sonically incorrect. With headphones, everything seems to take place a few inches above one's head and this is not an accurate reproduction of any performance by any means. The number of headphones that can somewhat produce a proper soundstage and imagery can be counted by one hand. And the only kind of headphones that may have some superiority would be the electrostatic headphones which do offer super fine highs with total transparency. But that's at a trade-off of paying a 4 to 5-figure sum and you are literally wearing a device with hundreds or thousands of volts churning at either side of your head; not exactly a comfortable thought.

Again, regrets for the rant and this is not by any means whatsoever a jab of any kind to anyone here. I am just outright curious on what "music" had evolved into. I guess most are willing to trade sonic degradation for portability and convenience? And I guess many simply want some tunes and it matters not whether it is sonically correct or not; some music, however inaccurate, is better than no music at all I suppose?

I loved every bit of this.

I must admit- I am not an audiophile. I do respect it though. My father had the "Infinities" and the "polk audio" stuff way back in the 80's and I just remember not being able to touch any of it. I actually just pulled his old receiver from my childhood/the 70's out of my mothers basement and cleaned it up. I intended on putting it in my home with his turn table as I have all of his old records. The SOB (jk) wont give me his old speakers to go with it. He uses them as plant stands. :rolleyes: and its not something I would go out of my way to fund. <shrug>

For me though- I have always preferred headphones. I guess I probably don't know any better, but feel they are more "intimate". The sound is injected directly into your head. I have heard a decent surround sound setup and will agree that you'll never get that from headphones but for a good, sloppy rock cut= I'd grab the headphones if I really wanted to hear it.

I would love to have my mind changed.

I do play in this awful band and can say that mixing our awful music in garage band without headphones is nearly impossible. Well- compared to the Macbook speakers, I guess anything would be an improvement. Maybe I'm not doing myself any favors as I have yet to like one of our recordings on various different speaker setups. Again- shrug. I'm not an audio engineer :-)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Back on topic & let's add 2 more:

"The Great Fantasy Adventure Album", Erich Kunzel & Cincinnati Pops Orchestra, Telarc CD-80342

If you are into sound effects and movie music scores, then this is the album for you. It's classical per se but it's also laden with great sound effects.

Themes from the original Terminator, Robin Hood, the original Jurassic Park etc.., they are all there. The performers are above average but it's the recording and the special sound effects that made this album great. On one of the cuts, the sound mimics a T-Rex stomping onto scene and eating away complete with bone crushing sounds (literally) and ending with a giant burp! All Telarc discs are known for their super hi-fi sound effects and this particular one is famously or infamously known to destroy speakers. Most speakers are unable to reproduce the almost subsonic low frequencies and many amps are unable to supply the power to drive the woofers to such lows; consequently, the cones "arched" so to speak and cracked. There is even a warning label on the album cautioning about loud playback can damage the speakers. Gimmicky, yes; but it's also true. You will not be disappointed if you want special sound effects that just may knock you or your guests out of the chair.

"Ondekoza" Victor VDR-1016

Japanese folk and classical taiko and samisen ensemble. Probably not everyone's cup of tea if one is not into these kinds of Japanese music (it isn't mine either). But it is famously know to accurately reproduce the large taiko all the way to 28Hz. And it's not the muddy, sloppy & muffled bass full of resonance. You actually hear and feel the low frequency with proper speed and focus. The bass hit you in "rings" (as in circular projection) and in waves. If you are a bass-freak, this is THE album for you.

R_2819968_1353859502_1068.jpeg.jpg

R_3925828_1349550955_7170.jpeg.jpg

I loved every bit of this.

I must admit- I am not an audiophile. I do respect it though. My father had the "Infinities" and the "polk audio" stuff way back in the 80's and I just remember not being able to touch any of it. I actually just pulled his old receiver from my childhood/the 70's out of my mothers basement and cleaned it up. I intended on putting it in my home with his turn table as I have all of his old records. The SOB (jk) wont give me his old speakers to go with it. He uses them as plant stands. :rolleyes: and its not something I would go out of my way to fund.

For me though- I have always preferred headphones. I guess I probably don't know any better, but feel they are more "intimate". The sound is injected directly into your head. I have heard a decent surround sound setup and will agree that you'll never get that from headphones but for a good, sloppy rock cut= I'd grab the headphones if I really wanted to hear it.

I would love to have my mind changed.

I do play in this awful band and can say that mixing our awful music in garage band without headphones is nearly impossible. Well- compared to the Macbook speakers, I guess anything would be an improvement. Maybe I'm not doing myself any favors as I have yet to like one of our recordings on various different speaker setups. Again- shrug. I'm not an audio engineer :-)

Thank you.

Going OT a bit again...

It would be interesting to know what brand and model is your dad's receiver. Obviously, it must have been a rather vintage piece if you can directly hook up a turntable to it (which means it must have a built-in phono amp). If you don't mind disclosing that, perhaps I can suggest a pair of speakers to match the receiver & turntable.

Interesting comment about the headphones. Since you play in a band, you must know what actual live music is like and how each part of the band has its own definition, depth, width and placement. Headphones may offer some details during the mixing but creating a proper sound stage is definitely not its strong point. Have you considered getting a pair of "better" outboard active speakers for your Mac? Consider the Audioengine A5+. The are active (i.e. with built-in amps) so connection will be easy and minimal. They are quite good for their intended purposes and at about $400, they won't break the bank either. Perhaps giving them a try? Feel free to move the speakers around to explore the depth and width and imagery of a sound stage. For this type of speakers, start with a equidistant triangle, i.e. place the speakers so that they are at the same height as your head or slightly below it; the distance between the middle of the 2 speakers and the distance between you and each of the 2 speakers should be the same and form an equilateral triangle. Then start toeing-in the speakers so their front panels aim towards you; move them half an inch at a time. You will then find a sweet spot where everything just appears focused and precise. Hope this helps.

One of my dreams is to go to VCRs house with my favorite albums and just listen to them through his sound system. Seriously !

I would imagine his behavior to resemble that of Rick Rubin in the new Sonos commercial :D

Invalid Video Link

I don't have anything to add but I am LOVING this thread, I ended up listening to music for few hours tonight, can you good people post youtube links to your recommendations for us lazy bastards ? :icon_mrgreen:

Thank you.

Going OT a bit again...

It would be interesting to know what brand and model is your dad's receiver. Obviously, it must have been a rather vintage piece if you can directly hook up a turntable to it (which means it must have a built-in phono amp). If you don't mind disclosing that, perhaps I can suggest a pair of speakers to match the receiver & turntable.

Interesting comment about the headphones. Since you play in a band, you must know what actual live music is like and how each part of the band has its own definition, depth, width and placement. Headphones may offer some details during the mixing but creating a proper sound stage is definitely not its strong point. Have you considered getting a pair of "better" outboard active speakers for your Mac? Consider the Audioengine A5+. The are active (i.e. with built-in amps) so connection will be easy and minimal. They are quite good for their intended purposes and at about $400, they won't break the bank either. Perhaps giving them a try? Feel free to move the speakers around to explore the depth and width and imagery of a sound stage. For this type of speakers, start with a equidistant triangle, i.e. place the speakers so that they are at the same height as your head or slightly below it; the distance between the middle of the 2 speakers and the distance between you and each of the 2 speakers should be the same and form an equilateral triangle. Then start toeing-in the speakers so their front panels aim towards you; move them half an inch at a time. You will then find a sweet spot where everything just appears focused and precise. Hope this helps.

Sorry about the continued hijack-

His receiver was a Technics (oof-) sa-1000? maybe. Its been awhile and it seemed to be fairly common.

really similar- if not this one:

tecnics-sa-1000-front.jpg

Nothing special, I'm sure. I say that based on how cheap my father is. The turn table- I'll have to look. I think might also be Technics- or perhaps Pioneer? I remember as a child he would always be getting a different "cartridge"? for it and I wasn't allowed to jump around when it was playing as it would cause it to skip.

Make no mistake- play in a band, really is just a hobby. I have been playing guitar since the early 90's and can do a thing or two but my bass player is quite green, the drummer- the third one we have had, is quite good this time around and I have a pretty awful singing voice. So its just for fun. We play a backyard party once a year but other than that, all an excuse to get out of the house and drink some beer. I will absolutely look into other avenues for mixing though- even if just to be experimental.

cheers-

^Ok, that really is a vintage piece, even predates my time in the hi-fi world! :D

That doesn't mean it's not good though. It likely would not and cannot compare to today's standard in terms of dynamics, definition and transparency but gears in those days were diligently engineered and built to last a life time if not longer. Assuming everything works, you should get a kick out of it. For the turntable, if it's a Technics, it can't be too shabby at all. Technics are famously known to make some of the most reliable direct-drive turntable in the industry and to this day, many are being spun at clubs as workhorses. Most likely nothing hi-end about it either but it should be quite inspiring. Get a pair of PSB Alpha B1 or a pair of Paradigm Mini Monitor v6 and you should be quite happy. Both are bookshelf-type speakers so don't expect killer bass or anything below 80Hz. Both are quite inexpensive as well and they are legit in sonic quality. Many on this forum had bought Paradigm's under my suggestions and are quite happy with them. There is a newer v7 but I have not auditioned them yet and I am quite satisfied with the v6 for what they are so I am voting v6 for now (plus you likely can get a better price on the v6's too).

It really doesn't matter on how often and/or how well you and your band mates play. The most important part being you guys know what "real music" sounds like; that during playback you have a benchmark on what sounds "right" and what doesn't when compare to the actual real live instruments. And based on that, you can judge and decide whether the hi-fi hardware is indeed hi-fi or not.

One of my dreams is to go to VCRs house with my favorite albums and just listen to them through his sound system. Seriously !

I would imagine his behavior to resemble that of Rick Rubin in the new Sonos commercial :D

Invalid Video Link

:lol2: :lol2: :icon_thumleft:

Do you like Huey Lewis and The News?

Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically.

I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums.

Best psytrance album ever:

Transwave - Phototropic [1996]

CS1844244-02A-BIG.jpg

It seem's to be online in many places but trust me you want to hear this from original CD not in shitty Youtube "quality".

This is totally working as a whole singular album. All the sounds are analog yet, it build's up is perfect. Most progressive album ever. From ambient through 8 songs to the peak and then drops the last 2 songs back to ambient. My most memorable listening experience with this album is from Lapland snag log cottage, after day of hard skiing. Just laying in the bed, totally physically wasted, yet totally mentally aware. Just listening from my headphones in naturally softly lighted room buried under 2 covers while keeping window open and having that super fresh -30°c air coming in... Please listen this in one take, in relaxed setting with good hifi or headset.

All the sounds are analog yet, it build's up is perfect. Most progressive album ever. From ambient through 8 songs to the peak and then drops the last 2 songs back to ambient. Please listen this in one take, in relaxed setting with good hifi or headset.

Try that with dipole panel speakers on single-end triode tube amps. On some passages, you would feel like your were airborne.

^Ok, that really is a vintage piece, even predates my time in the hi-fi world! :D

That doesn't mean it's not good though. It likely would not and cannot compare to today's standard in terms of dynamics, definition and transparency but gears in those days were diligently engineered and built to last a life time if not longer. Assuming everything works, you should get a kick out of it. For the turntable, if it's a Technics, it can't be too shabby at all. Technics are famously known to make some of the most reliable direct-drive turntable in the industry and to this day, many are being spun at clubs as workhorses. Most likely nothing hi-end about it either but it should be quite inspiring. Get a pair of PSB Alpha B1 or a pair of Paradigm Mini Monitor v6 and you should be quite happy. Both are bookshelf-type speakers so don't expect killer bass or anything below 80Hz. Both are quite inexpensive as well and they are legit in sonic quality. Many on this forum had bought Paradigm's under my suggestions and are quite happy with them. There is a newer v7 but I have not auditioned them yet and I am quite satisfied with the v6 for what they are so I am voting v6 for now (plus you likely can get a better price on the v6's too).

It really doesn't matter on how often and/or how well you and your band mates play. The most important part being you guys know what "real music" sounds like; that during playback you have a benchmark on what sounds "right" and what doesn't when compare to the actual real live instruments. And based on that, you can judge and decide whether the hi-fi hardware is indeed hi-fi or not.

Haha, Yes, Vintage.

Many memories... you're getting me jazzed about this thing again.

:headbang:

3 more...

"Antarctica" movie sound track, Vangelis, Polydor POCP-2016

As much as I questioned about headphones, this album actually sound rather cool via headphones. Correctly-placed speakers are still king especially large floor-standing ones but give this one a try on headphones. And if your like the album that rmtn suggested above, this one might work too. And listen to the whole thing in consecutive sequence in one sitting. Those who are old enough to know Vangelis. You may find the title cut resembles one of his other famous compositions, "Chariots of Fire". Yes, both came from the same guy and his signature are all over both.

And at Fortis' request, here are two YouTube versions (no where do they reflect the true tonal superiority though).

"On Every Street", Dire Straits, Vertigo 510 160-2

Those who know the band would understand without any introduction or explanation. Mark Knopfler, his voice and more importantly, how he plays the guitar is simply a pleasure to listen to.

Here is a cut that demonstrates his skill and the recording (again via low-grade YouTube only but you get the idea). In addition to the usual guitar & bass, take a listen to the steel guitar at 4:15.

"Schindler's List" movie soundtrack, John Williams, Itzhak Perlman, MCAD-10969

Great movie with an even better sound track. Spielberg made the movie so that's obvious. John Williams did the music so that's obvious too. Yes, the John Williams who composed the Star Wars music... Itzhak Perlman is arguably one of the most prominent violinists today. If anyone likes the oboe cut on p.2 thinking it was beautifully played, then the following will make tears swell in your eyes. Yes, the scores are a bit "commercialized" and composed to appeal to the masses (it is a movie score after all) but one cannot denied that it was performed with plenty of skills and passion.

Caution/disclaimer: if you are in a bad mood or feeling really down, DO NOT listen to this track. Neither I nor this forum can be held responsible for what may transpire afterward. Or you may want to go back and listen to the first Antarctica theme to equalize things.

Nice mention VCR on Dire Straits (that song in particular too).

I didn't want to make my list about sound quality per se, but I couldn't put Dire Straits as a G.O.A.T album based on music alone (I like but don't love). However on recording quality outside of classical/jazz, they might be the most consistently excellent major recording artist out there. For that they need to get serious love.

The song "Private Investigations" off of Love Over Gold....unreal dynamics. Was playing this song at a show on a pair of Audio Note studio monitors, 8" woofers in a sealed enclosure and when the bass dropped around 3 1/2 minutes in, it was almost laugh out loud funny how powerful it sounded.

For those wondering why that is, it's because that same song played back on a very average portable will not sound anywhere at all as dynamic/impressive. You need a decent system of sorts to exploit it.

There's so much left on the table in pop recordings these days, that it's like driving a Viper detuned to 250 hp because "it makes a better fit for city driving, and only 1% of owners drive it on the track".

See how awesome that logic is? :eusa_think:

Ok, I'll stop now. :icon_mrgreen:

^It my/our duty as audiophiles to give credit when credit is due. :)

And I am in complete agreement with your logic...of course. :icon_mrgreen:

Anyway, one final one...

Rehearsal, Peter Horton & various artists, Bell Records, JK63054

This one is a bit esoteric. The album itself is ok; it's a test & calibration disc more than anything else but it does contain music. The musicians aren't exactly top grade but it's the recording that make it outstanding. Just the 47secs on the first cut is worth the price of the entire album (to an audiophile anyway :icon_rolleyes: ). It might be difficult to find this disc though. Our European members likely have better luck.

I did find the recording on the web and you guys can test it yourself. Before doing so, you need a proper set up. Please consider the following suggestion:

If you are surfing this on a cel phone, tablet, forget it (just not going to work). If you are surfing this on a notebook/portable PC, I doubt the playback from the built-in speakers would impress you at all. Please see if you can connect a pair of external PC speakers to your notebook/laptop. If it's a desktop PC, please ensure a pair of external table top speakers are connected. Place each speaker on your left & right respectively and position them so that an equidistant triangle is formed between you and the 2 speakers. Toe-in the two speakers towards you so that the front of the speakers face your corresponding ear respectively. Turn the volume up to 90% of the maximum. Open the link below. Scroll down to the very first cut (Track 1) called "Glas". Click on the orange "play" icon on the left (not the red one on the right). Sit back and get ready to be shocked for the realism. The first sound and the last "sweeping" tone might not be too shocking but the few notes in between will guarantee to "wake you up". I won't disclose too much to spoil it for you; just experience it yourself. But it only works best if your have external active speakers for your PC/Mac. Anything else would be sub-par. Good luck and hope you will find it entertaining.

https://www.muziekweb.nl/Link/JK63054/Bell-records-Rehearsal

Don't know about greatest, since music greatness is very subjective. Classic alternative (70s, 80s, early 90s), too me at least still is unmatched in its broad range of integrating genres into delicious pop noise art. Sorry folks modern hipsters Big Suck.

2016_01_06_19_42_57__1615562837.jpeg

2016_01_06_19_32_09_1163197175.jpeg

2016_01_06_19_32_47__563668522.jpeg

2016_01_06_19_33_34__1671967068.jpeg

2016_01_06_19_34_27_79790574.jpeg

2016_01_06_19_37_25_1417206601.jpeg

Okay, I have an image for you

picture_zps2mpbuwbb.jpg

...and that's why

Cheers to that.. I just worked that one out a few weeks ago.. then my bass player said it was "too much" for him. Lmao.

I was just reading and have been listening to TSRTS and working out the solos in The Ocean for the last day or so... had the inclination to mention that set here. I'm sure everyone has heard it.. but there are some fantastic cuts on that one.

The versions of Stairway, The Song Remains the Same, The Ocean.. I could go on.. just fantastic stuff and I always thought there were not too many live sets for Led Zeppelin out there, at least- officially released...

You should add Huey Lewis and the News and Phil Collins to that list.

Do you like Huey Lewis and The News?

Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically.

I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums.

Why are there copies of the style section all over the place, do you have a dog? A little chow or something?