Which car would you choose for $300-650k?

alpha6164

I am going thru a car itch again. I was 100% dead set on an Aventador Roadster so i can have 3 gens of V12 bulls but with the S coming out and the Aventadors continuing to depreciate I have decided I am going to go another route and probably get the SV version of the second generation in a few years. I do understand that the price range I have given is quite large and you pretty much could buy two cars in the lower range vs one at the top but still i am open. I have ruled out a Countach because I actually want to be able to drive occasionally (rarely) and be drivable. I drove a downdraft a few weeks ago and really was disappointed.

Here are the cars i am considering, please let me know your thoughts and potential future values.

1) Porsche Carrera GT- I have found some clean ones in the low $600s

2) Merc SLS Black Series ~$450k

3) 2011 GT2 R2 $450k

4) Ford GT base, low miles 10/10 $300k

5) Ford GT Heritage $500k

6) McLaren SLR either coupe or convertible $300-350k for a low mile clean one

Would love to hear your inputs guys.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, Saman. I'm going to say what I think many others will. Carrera GT all the way. It's the new F40. I remember Allan asking a similar question before he picked up his and the guy couldn't seem happier about owning one now.

Like I said before, the Carrera GT will likely appreciate to over a million dollars in the next ten years and the Aventador will likely sell around $170,000 in the next few years, (despite being N/A which I believe less and less people are starting to care about).

Even though all of the cars currently on the market are advertised for around $600,000, I see the same cars on the market revolving and I don't believe for a second they're selling for as much is being asked.

I don't want to speak for him, but I'm sure Allan would talk to you off line as it seems he definitely did some research before picking his up.

Ian

Hey, Saman. I'm going to say what I think many others will. Carrera GT all the way. It's the new F40. I remember Allan asking a similar question before he picked up his and the guy couldn't seem happier about owning one now.

Like I said before, the Carrera GT will likely appreciate to over a million dollars in the next ten years and the Aventador will likely sell around $170,000 in the next few years, (despite being N/A which I believe less and less people are starting to care about).

Even though all of the cars currently on the market are advertised for around $600,000, I see the same cars on the market revolving and I don't believe for a second they're selling for as much is being asked.

I don't want to speak for him, but I'm sure Allan would talk to you off line as it seems he definitely did some research before picking his up.

Ian

Ian,

Thank you for taking the time for the reply. And trust me my heart is with CGT. Bug i have literally contacted all the ones that are on the market and have made serious real offers and they act like I am asking to have a go with their mothers lol. This morning talking to a dealer that has a 2k mile one and asking $719k when i offered $640, he literally was like hell to the naaahhhhh. He is like i may consider $700k lol.

Trust me you find me a CGT with less than 5k miles that is sub $600k and i will send you a $10k finders fee asap. And that goes to you or anyone.

Hope I'm not alone in this. I'd go with an SLR. Lots of car for the $ and can see them going up in value. Can get them at good values. Just as rare as a CGT. Drive all cars side by side and go with whichever one you keep looking back at and want to drive the most .

If.you want something drive able, subtle , yet a beast kinda like a Veyron, SLR is the way to go.

You get a Gordon Murray designed car. Lots of power. A gentleman's car that still performs when needed.

I haven't drank from the Porsche punch bowl yet

I know Allan has had both so would be interesting to hear his take on both of the cars.

I wouldn't say the CGT isn't a bad car. I just wouldn't buy in at what they are going for.

I am going thru a car itch again. I was 100% dead set on an Aventador Roadster so i can have 3 gens of V12 bulls but with the S coming out and the Aventadors continuing to depreciate I have decided I am going to go another route and probably get the SV version of the second generation in a few years. I do understand that the price range I have given is quite large and you pretty much could buy two cars in the lower range vs one at the top but still i am open. I have ruled out a Countach because I actually want to be able to drive occasionally (rarely) and be drivable. I drove a downdraft a few weeks ago and really was disappointed.

Here are the cars i am considering, please let me know your thoughts and potential future values.

1) Porsche Carrera GT- I have found some clean ones in the low $600s

2) Merc SLS Black Series ~$450k

3) 2011 GT2 R2 $450k

4) Ford GT base, low miles 10/10 $300k

5) Ford GT Heritage $500k

6) McLaren SLR either coupe or convertible $300-350k for a low mile clean one

Would love to hear your inputs guys.

If you buy a Ford GT , you wont get rid of it. Plus it is very inexpensive to own and you can always get your money back out of it, or make a profit. And ridiculously cheap to make fast!

Obviously the CGT is everyone's lust car, including myself. But its not something I could mod or enjoy like a FGT. Good luck and please tell us what you go with. If you decide on a FGT pm, I can point you in the right direction.

16-17 SV :eusa_dance: ;)

That would be so easy but I will make a bet the SV will drop. Heck the 2010 SV has taken 7 years just to crawl back to MSRP. And if there is a second gen SV forget about it.

I guess the question is which would go up 50% in value cause for a $650k CGT to get to $1mil will need a $350k appreciation. Where a clean $275-300k FGT very low miles will only have to go to $400-450k for same % of appreciation.

That would be so easy but I will make a bet the SV will drop. Heck the 2010 SV has taken 7 years just to crawl back to MSRP. And if there is a second gen SV forget about it.

my bet is there will not be another aventador SV and I don't think they will fall under msrp (low miles, good color/options etc)

but I do agree strictly for investment I would go CGT. I would just be afraid to drive it and rack up miles etc.

Ian,

Thank you for taking the time for the reply. And trust me my heart is with CGT. Bug i have literally contacted all the ones that are on the market and have made serious real offers and they act like I am asking to have a go with their mothers lol. This morning talking to a dealer that has a 2k mile one and asking $719k when i offered $640, he literally was like hell to the naaahhhhh. He is like i may consider $700k lol.

Trust me you find me a CGT with less than 5k miles that is sub $600k and i will send you a $10k finders fee asap. And that goes to you or anyone.

Have you seen this one?

https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/22450180

CGT

You already have a Murci it seems but, would you rock a Murcie SV ?

Does a bear shit in the woods ? Of course I would rock one. And I would if I didn't have an Lp640 that didn't make 629AWP about 30whp more than an SV. The SV 1000% looks better but is is essentially 99.9% same car. So not only I would get hosed probably selling mine , I would be paying 2 1/2 times more for almost what essentially would be the same car and actually probably slower. My LP640 has 11k miles so if I put another two or 3000 miles on it I would not care and would not affect the price as dramatic as if I put the same amount of miles on an SV So my LP640 and 6.0 are my driver cars where the next one will be driven for sure but not as much to preserve future value specially if I'm going to drop north of $600k.

10K miles is bad? Theres one in town with 100km. guy gets it flat bedded in every year for its service... even had plugs changes lol... I dont get it, but each to their own. You figure it would impact real that much long term? Too low mileage is not great if you ever want to use it.. seals and bushings deteriorate from lack of use

I sure have. The 10k miles is what's keeping me at bay. I would pay $580k for it but they won't take it.

How about the 05 at iLusso Motoring in San Francisco. Silver 4274 miles. Asking 675

Personally, ignoring the costs within that range, I'd do the CGT too. But considering the prices, I'd go FGT. However, I don't see FGTs having a significant increase in price unless they are low mileage garage queens.

Does a bear shit in the woods ? Of course I would rock one. And I would if I didn't have an Lp640 that didn't make 629AWP about 30whp more than an SV. The SV 1000% looks better but is is essentially 99.9% same car. So not only I would get hosed probably selling mine , I would be paying 2 1/2 times more for almost what essentially would be the same car and actually probably slower. My LP640 has 11k miles so if I put another two or 3000 miles on it I would not care and would not affect the price as dramatic as if I put the same amount of miles on an SV So my LP640 and 6.0 are my driver cars where the next one will be driven for sure but not as much to preserve future value specially if I'm going to drop north of $600k.

Word. CGT @ $700K for 3K miles: http://www.naplesmotorsports.com/vehicle-d...282f01ac11bda4/