LP Scotch thread!

Kerplop

the foulest scotch i own is Loch Dhu

loch-dhu.gif

it is black. like charcoal. and appears to be universally despised in scotch reviews.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There are others? :)

image.jpg

Is the 18 leaps and bounds above the 12? I picked up a 12 and while not terrible, isn't nearly as good as say the Oban 14 and they are pretty close in price.

"Is the 18 leaps and bounds above the 12? I picked up a 12 and while not terrible, isn't nearly as good as say the Oban 14 and they are pretty close in price."

I like the 12, but the 18 is like butta :). I've noticed the last couple of bottles of 18, prices seem to be escalating quite a bit.

Lagavulin 16 Year Old => my big favourite

Ardbeg

Smokehead

unfort my collection has been hidden away in storage for almost half a year now. there were several i had bought but didnt have time to properly try out yet.

love a good cigar, usually Cohibas (find them perfect, not too strong, yet powerful and tasty)

NO!!!!! ice cubes

"Is the 18 leaps and bounds above the 12? I picked up a 12 and while not terrible, isn't nearly as good as say the Oban 14 and they are pretty close in price."

I like the 12, but the 18 is like butta :). I've noticed the last couple of bottles of 18, prices seem to be escalating quite a bit.

I had a bit of the 18 the other night. My regular liquor store usually has 50ml bottles of it for about $8 and it's definitely worth picking up once in a while, but from looking online it seems to be about $160 for a normal bottle, and I just don't like it quite enough to justify that price. It is definitely much better than the 12, though.

• 1 year later...

I'm willing to bet $100 bucks to say that a bunch of you guys love scotch. What is your favorite scotch to drink? What is the oldest scotch you own or have tried?

I'd have to say that my favorite scotch is 20 year old Lagavulin. The oldest scotch I've had was a tiny glass of 30 year old Macallan, and I drank it when I had just turned 21, so I didn't know how lucky I was to have it. I usually buy the cheap stuff like Glenfidditch for the week days, because I tend to kill it really fast.

Cap'n does not disappoint ^^^^^ :lol2:

I like me some Scotch too... BUT, here is my new found love... If you like something with an EXCELLENT finish , true sipping goodness , check this stuff out.. much much better than any of the Glenfiddich I have drank

http://www.frdistilling.com/whiskeys/1

We have a scotch thread. I like the glen morangies but a little of everything.

Recently I had a barrel aged lagavulin that started like lagavulin and finished like a morangie. Was excellent.

Had the pleasure of making a dent in this bottle a few months back.20140912_184305_zpsbqn1eryn.jpg

Old scotch thread is here.

I have found that the Islays are what I really prefer. Laphroaig 18, Lagavulin 16, and Talisker Storm are great for regular drinking. Still love Mac, Oban, and most others too. For older goodness I like most of the offerings from Blackadder.

Had the pleasure of making a dent in this bottle a few months back.20140912_184305_zpsbqn1eryn.jpg

Old scotch thread is here.

I have found that the Islays are what I really prefer. Laphroaig 18, Lagavulin 16, and Talisker Storm are great for regular drinking. Still love Mac, Oban, and most others too. For older goodness I like most of the offerings from Blackadder.

A friend got my the 40yo Strathsla for my 40th, I love that stuff

1960784_10203597158634730_1630139619_o_z

When I was trying to figure our what I liked I ordered a big tasting set from Master of Malt and they sent me like 100 little bottles to try, they came looking like this:

master-of-malt-staff-favourites-tasting-

620023x.jpg

Oban is my go to...when I can find it for an acceptable price (the liquor stores around me want $100 which is price gouging when it's $70 at Costco).

I currently have a Macallan 12 thet I'm in the process of finishing off. Honestly, it's okay...I probably wont get another bottle of it.

But I did try a Macallan 30 on my way back from a deployment while in Germany. It...was...AMAZING.

Have you tried the Japanese single malts? They're pretty good and winning a lot of awards.

currently at Narita..all sold out for the Suntory..picked up some Nikka for the missus instead.

33ng592.jpg

currently at Narita..all sold out for the Suntory..picked up some Nikka for the missus instead.

33ng592.jpg

I have a yamazaki and a hibiki at home. They're not older vintage though. I'll bet those are so good!

Im new to scotch so I havent gone to wild. So Ive stuck with Johnny Walker. I havent bought any in awhile(more a fan of Crown Royal). But back when they still made it I thought Green was the best. I tried Blue but I didnt think it tasted enough different than green to warrant the $200 price difference. I also like the Chivas Regal 12 and 18 year old.

Im new to scotch so I havent gone to wild. So Ive stuck with Johnny Walker. I havent bought any in awhile(more a fan of Crown Royal). But back when they still made it I thought Green was the best. I tried Blue but I didnt think it tasted enough different than green to warrant the $200 price difference. I also like the Chivas Regal 12 and 18 year old.

C'moon buy a bottle of Laphroaig 10 or Bowmore 12, that's all you need for a start. Then open the bottles for a moment few weeks before drinking so it gets fresh air...

C'moon buy a bottle of Laphroaig 10 or Bowmore 12, that's all you need for a start. Then open the bottles for a moment few weeks before drinking so it gets fresh air...

Going to the store later today to try your recommendation.

Get a bottle of Jefferson's Reserve small Batch bourbon too. I find myself going back to the bourbon more than scotch lately....

Those are NOT a good place to start IMO , especially if you didn't like Scotch before.