LP Scotch thread!

Kerplop

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just finished a bottle of Laphroaig 15 last night (good bargain, about $90), first Islay Scotch I've had. In a word, incredible. Blows away the Speyside malts I've always considered mainstays, being a lot more rich, more smoky, and less sweet.

Was like drinking a barbequed steak. Highly recommended.

Next up: Talisker 18+ and Oban 18+

That's the stuff. Man, drinking barbequed steak is right, but I rememeber it tasking more like barbequed steak covered with ash. Too harsh for me.

Just finished a bottle of Laphroaig 15 last night (good bargain, about $90), first Islay Scotch I've had. In a word, incredible. Blows away the Speyside malts I've always considered mainstays, being a lot more rich, more smoky, and less sweet.

I've enjoyed my Talisker tastings more than my Obans but to be brutally honest, compared to the Laphroaig they both might be a let down. You may also wish to give Caol Ila a shot, another peaty Islay malt that I enjoy; even the young 12 features depth that I don't encounter in many older bottlings from other distilleries.

Out of curiousity, which speysides were you drinking before the Laphroaig?

Yeah, 'smoky' is certainly the word! ( and 'peaty')

Did someone say no hangover? - the last time I got stuck into the Laphroaig 15 I was wrecked for nearly 2 days!

Plus - the smokeyness lingered for nearly as long!

Gotta love it though, - I'd always heard that it's best to take with a little water as the strong alcohol content can anesthetize the tongue and diminish the flavour otherwise...?

One of the Glenlivet people wrote a good piece on "how much water is right" and it basically came down to age. Anything under 18 years old needed at least a teaspoon to open it up, anything over that and they recommended nothing more than a couple drops max. It was a sliding scale, with more water at the younger vintages, less water with the older years.

I usually add a couple drops, but honestly I've never been able to taste a difference between that and no water at all. Definitely no ice however, you guys need to stop that and man up! :icon_thumleft:

Good comments from all, looking forward to Oban in particular.

Macallan 18 tastes like water now by comparison to the Laphroaig 15... :shock:

Highland Park 18 was also fantastic by the way, I didn't write it up as it's been a while but it had a lot of the highlights of the Laphroaig's peaty taste but dialed down a bit. Might be a good choice for those looking for some smokiness and peaty flavor but without having to join the Lapraoig Fire Department... :icon_mrgreen:

• 1 year later...

Just resurrecting this thread. I'm about to swing for a bottle of JW Blue (found it online for $160 shipped). I've been drinking JW Black (absolutely love it) and Glenlivet (it was okay) that I get at Costco. Need a daily scotch that is affordable and then something for special occasions. I started off drinking JW black (my first scotch ever) straight, no mixing. I tried it once with ice and thought it was disgusting.

Any cigar smokers have a favorite smoke/scotch combo? Esp. for Johnnie Walker?

(BTW cannot WAIT for nice weather to smoke and drink - won't stop raining in Indy)!

I found dalwhinnie to be an inexpensive, super smooth drinkable scotch. Aberlour isn't bad either.

Just resurrecting this thread. I'm about to swing for a bottle of JW Blue (found it online for $160 shipped). I've been drinking JW Black (absolutely love it) and Glenlivet (it was okay) that I get at Costco. Need a daily scotch that is affordable and then something for special occasions. I started off drinking JW black (my first scotch ever) straight, no mixing. I tried it once with ice and thought it was disgusting.

(BTW cannot WAIT for nice weather to smoke and drink - won't stop raining in Indy)!

I've pretty much settled on Highland Park's Red Label (18) for the daily affordable slot. It's got just enough of a peaty/somky flavor but without being too strong like Laphroaig and the like. They also produce a cheaper 15 year old that's less expensive when on a budget.

Prefer Highland Park by far to anything similarly priced from Glenlivet/Glenfidditch/Macallan at the moment.

Hmmm i'll have to try it!

I like my scotch like I like my women, 12 years old and mixed with coke... :lol2:

I almost pissed myself.........

With cigars my personal preference is cognac( i have a remy xo set aside for that since i very rarely smoke) over scotch. Scotch though is my daily.

The scotch snobs will poopoo on blended ones (as the previous responses will probably tell you), but really my daily is j/w black. I really enjoy the flavor. A lot of people will tell you the blue label isn't worth the buy in, you may as well buy a bottle though to have a try. Rarely the costco has a coupon actually on jw blue. A while back i picked up 5 750'ml bottles at 120 each. Friggin a steal there.

If you are beginning though I tend to agree that you should get some single malts and see what your palate likes.

With cigars my personal preference is cognac( i have a remy xo set aside for that since i very rarely smoke) over scotch. Scotch though is my daily.

I tend to go with a brandy/cognac as well when I drink and smoke. Generally i smoke cigars straight with out a drink as to not spoil the flavors of the cigar but brandy (especially apple brandy) goes well with a good cigar.

All excellent great value for money whiskey, so good that it is hard to justify paying more. Stunning tastebuds Mr Mako.

Bowmore 12

Laphroaig 10

With fresh bottle I first take the glass, fill it with water, then pour it all out. Then I have a little moist glass with few drops in it and immediately pour Islay in the glass.

With half bottle that has been consumed for few months I do not add water.

Sometimes I drink from huge round aromeglass to assault my nose.

Mosth of the times from this glass:

iittala_gaissa_old_fashioned_P0000041143S0005T2.jpg

Iittala Gaissa 22cl.

• 3 months later...
I was wondering about this, seems like it's finally a Johnny Walker with some balls. Will add it to the list now that "The Assman" has given it his official thumbs up. :icon_thumleft:

LOL.

What about Johnny Walker Blue?

LOL.

What about Johnny Walker Blue?

Had some Johnnie Walker Blue King George V the other night. That stuff is great, goes down super smooth and with the right

stogie was a great experience.

Had some Johnnie Walker Blue King George V the other night. That stuff is great, goes down super smooth and with the right

stogie was a great experience.

Is there really any difference between the proletariat blue and the King George blue besides price?