R8 V10 Pics

ts640

Funny one of you mentioned the R8 to be a "hairdresser's" car, as there's a black one that (amazingly) is driven by exactly that... a hairdresser (and no, he does NOT own the salon!!) around the South Miami, FL area.

As for all the comments on the R8/Gallardo comparison... I have also driven all the G's as well as the R8 (only the V8, not V10), and also agree that the R8 (V8) is somewhat underpowered. However, it is amazingly well balanced and probably one of (or "the") most DD exotics out there. The car is incredible eye candy as well. I for one love the LED's on the R8 as well as the Auston Martins, a true edge on the "cool" look, but like the glass engine covers, it will have it's trend as well. I have only driven the GTR for about a mile and it was straight line acceleration, and truly quite amazing considering it's 3900 lb weight, but not a nimble handling car whatsoever, but then again, I haven't tracked one yet and hear they are quite impressive.

Now, in my world, I'm a hardcore "driver's car" fan, and therefore will always opt for the slighter robustness and feedback of the G. You can talk up the R8 all you want, but the feel is just not there. Maybe now it has the power, but still not the communication a good driver 'needs' to truly bring out the skills to circumvent tracks and streets alike. I'm a true believer in tech, having an IT degree which backs up my belief in it, but like everything else, it has its place. Sure, for my DD, I'd like my car to float over bumps, scan the area for ass, and make me coffee while I drive... but for nasty driving, hell with that!! I need to feel the road and have the car respond to every twitch move I make. Hence why I'm such a Lotus fan, and have ordered a Rossion Q1... even the greatest race drivers (whom have driven every exotic out there... hard!) will agree that driving it's predecessor (Noble M12 & M400) was "like nothing else". IMO, only the G Superleggera and Porsche GT3RS are in this class (well, the Lotus Exige as well, but sadly it's under powered).

Funny thing... my wife tells me the other day as I'm driving with her in the Benz CLK around a corner that "these type of cars are not for you...". She said this b/c I tend to come a little too close to curbs and other interesting scenarios. These high-tech cars are designed to get you away from the "feel" of the road and your surroundings... Hell, I couldn't agree more... therefore I'll be ordering an ICON Landcruiser next... in a class of it's own...

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LED's don't work. They look the best on an R8, but they make all the other AUDI's look narrow and tall. Considering replacing our POS 07 Range Rover Sport S with a previous model S4 wagon for the wife.

No Audi handles like a BMW, even an RS4. They can be faster.....but not as tactile.

I have a friend that built a RS2 (neeRS2 Wagon) coupe on a 91 US chassis. Full porsche build up, chipped, very fast, ploughs like a battleship in the corners. Car was dynoed at 400 hp RWH. Very cool.....just not very fast around a corner. I am considering buying it...because I like a challenge.

I'm talking about LED headlamps in place of the standard Xenon headlamps, not the led outline all the new Audis have.

RS2s are very badass and rare. I can only imagine what an interesting sound the turbo I5 generates.

I'm talking about LED headlamps in place of the standard Xenon headlamps, not the led outline all the new Audis have.

RS2s are very badass and rare. I can only imagine what an interesting sound the turbo I5 generates.

Straight five's have their sound.

Led outline looks really lame. Makes the cars look tall and narrow. I will not buy a next gen A4 Audi.

Its all a matter of perspective. I would drive it as a daily driver. It wouldn't be my weekend car that I'd showoff, upgrade, rim up, or necessarily be proud of. But it looks like a great daily driver with good power and handling. Would I pay over sticker for it? No. Would I pay a buck 50 for it, probably. Thats for the V10.. I had no interest in the V8.

Yes it will Nima, Audi let me drive a V10 test mule(6speed) for two weeks and it rocks. I put a Vbox on it and 0-60 came up in 3.7 seconds on my second try. Basically the R8 handles like a G, without the rough edges, definitely more suitable for those who want a sporty DD, plus a great track car.

Also, I was surprised by the reaction of the general public, the R8 is a crowd pleaser for sure, it drew as much/more attention as my VI SE G.....younger people really dig this ride.

are you comparing it to the LP560 or the pre-LP560 G?

Straight five's have their sound.

Led outline looks really lame. Makes the cars look tall and narrow. I will not buy a next gen A4 Audi.

Here is the article on the R8s new lights

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/05/30/audi-r8...-led-headlamps/

Agreed, I think straight 5s and V10s are the most interesting sounding cars on a cold start up.

Personally I think that not only the lights are lame, but the new is also A4 too big, but then again the new A4/6/8, 3/5/7, C/E/S always get larger with each new iteration. It will be interesting to see what the next gen RS4 is like.

Have you driven/seen a 335d in person yet?

Here is the article on the R8s new lights

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/05/30/audi-r8...-led-headlamps/

Agreed, I think straight 5s and V10s are the most interesting sounding cars on a cold start up.

Personally I think that not only the lights are lame, but the new is also A4 too big, but then again the new A4/6/8, 3/5/7, C/E/S always get larger with each new iteration. It will be interesting to see what the next gen RS4 is like.

Have you driven/seen a 335d in person yet?

I haven't had time......I need to replace my 328 as a commuter. Have driven a 335i for a week with a 60 hp chip upgrade. Loved it..........though the 335d is really interesting. 400 ft ps of torque coming out of slow corners seems pretty interesting. Will drive one on friday..........I will post a review.

are you comparing it to the LP560 or the pre-LP560 G?

Its way faster than a pre LP560. The power curve is sweeter, no chugging/lugging at low rpms like my stock G, the FSI direct injection smooths out the powerband nicely. The suspension is softer, but the car still sticks to the road, and gives plenty of confidence. I put 1500 miles on it in two weeks, loved every minute... including driving in heavy traffic, which is a chore in a pre LP560 G. I have not driven a LP560 yet, but I doubt there will be much difference between it and the V10 R8, except for a slightly firmer ride.

Have you seen an R8 in person? Have you seen it next to a TT? Nothing alike. No japanese car would ever live up to the R8 and Audi name. Performance, numbers, blah, blah, blah whatever, the R8 is a greater car. 6speed is now a smarter place for having banned you.

Both Kinsella and I have seen/driven theese Beetles - they are Audi TT's on steroids! (with all the fugly drawbacks of them as well)

it drew as much/more attention as my VI SE G

I am having soooooooooo hard getting this part Vroom, I mean, come on!?

. Would I pay over sticker for it? No. Would I pay a buck 50 for it, probably.

Try a buck eighty.... which 20k too high imo. A friend of mine has two delivery spots available for the R8 V10... there is no way he is gonna flip them for extra $$$ at that list price.

2008-12-09: Audi R8 5.2 FSI (V10) first pictures and details ...

Audi R8 5.2 FSI quattro Hot on the heels of the R8 LMS racing car, Audi revealed the first pictures and details of the V10 engined R8 5.2 FSI quattro. This is certainly no coincidence as the GT3 racer is based on the new ten cylinder road car. Apart from the racing equipment the distinct difference between the two cars is the lack of the 'quattro' four-wheel drive on the LMS to meet the GT3 regulations.

Compared to the original V8 engined version the V10 is a major step forward. The direct injection engine produces a staggering 525 bhp, or 105 horses more than the 'base' R8. Despite the hike in engine output, the new 5.2 R8 is barely any heavier. The all aluminum engine will launch the R8 to 100 km/h in under 4 seconds and it does not stop accelerating until the top speed of 316 km/h is reached. This should propel the fastest Audi road car right into the supercar ranks where it will rival the Ferrari F430 and nearly identical Lamborghini Gallardo.

Audi will officially launch the R8 5.2 FSI quattro at the upcoming North American International Auto Show in Detroit and it will be available from the second quarter of 2009.

Prices start at 142,000 Euro (+- 183,000$) without taxes.

Info: http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/

Its way faster than a pre LP560. The power curve is sweeter, no chugging/lugging at low rpms like my stock G, the FSI direct injection smooths out the powerband nicely. The suspension is softer, but the car still sticks to the road, and gives plenty of confidence. I put 1500 miles on it in two weeks, loved every minute... including driving in heavy traffic, which is a chore in a pre LP560 G. I have not driven a LP560 yet, but I doubt there will be much difference between it and the V10 R8, except for a slightly firmer ride.

well [here] have been complaining about the softness of the LP560's ride...will the R8 be even softer?

well [here] have been complaining about the softness of the LP560's ride...will the R8 be even softer?

Probably, but like I said I haven't driven a LP560 yet. Both cars are nearly mechanically identical, so the differences in handling won't be huge.

It will definitely be great to see how Audi does the LED's. The LED lowbeam headlights on the Lexus are probably just as bright, but no where near as crisp as the regular HID's on the lower LS models. Probably has something to do with the fact that they use 3 projectors to get enough light on the ground. Audi seems to be only using one projector for the low beam. Not that easy to get LED's to function as headlights.

As for the design of the R8 V10. I like the small changes they made to the rear end. Not sure if I'm liking the new grille much though. Interior in usual Audi fashion is pretty well done. For 180k, Id rather take the Lambo.

"Prices start at 142,000 Euro (+- 183,000$) without taxes" and + plus dealer markup will be 200k+, not far from the 560's...thats why I bought a Gallardo because of the dealer BS...and I like the looks better

I see them every day, I live in Malibu........

I have driven several of them and not been impressed. Slow car. They look like an extruded tt. Ugly car.........

Correct opinion. :iamwithstupid:

And at +200lbs and -30HP versus an LP560, I don't see how the comparison is justified as the fanboys and clueless press are parroting. To me it's as Porter correctly called it: The R8 is the perfect girlfriend/wife car. VERY feminine and not nearly masculine enoughly, particularly the rear.

VERY feminine and not nearly masculine enoughly, particularly the rear.

So you want it masculine in the rear :icon_mrgreen:

That's odd... I find Lambo's decision to make the V10 R8 very questionable as well, but I don't kid myself into thinking the car is inferior. It's like the Gallardo's little sister :) :D

I wonder why Audi would potentially cannibalize Lambo sales by producing this car...

I agree, and last year at Lamborghini, I was told categorically the v10 mules were aimed for le mans pre tests and would never hit the showrooms. In fact they swore the diesel would in a year or two. Looks like its going to be the complete opposite. I should now withdraw my insistences way back when claiming that this thing would never make it to prod. Shows how 'in-house- the whole vw outfit is!

Correct opinion. :iamwithstupid:

And at +200lbs and -30HP versus an LP560, I don't see how the comparison is justified as the fanboys and clueless press are parroting. To me it's as Porter correctly called it: The R8 is the perfect girlfriend/wife car. VERY feminine and not nearly masculine enoughly, particularly the rear.

:iamwithstupid: :iamwithstupid: