I think it's time for another Lambo

Mike_S

What to choose!  

119 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you pick?

• Diablo 6.0
    • Gallardo Superleggera

Went looking around today and I ended with two options.

I love the Diablo 6.0 and the only one(it's silver/black) in the whole of Africa is for sale, but I know it has had some minor damage on the rear right wheel. The ex-owner gave the keys to some tool and they took it around the block, spun out and took out the rear right wheel, control arms etc. Apparently damage wasn't that bad, but it has made me weary. The car has 14,000km on the odometer and they want $250,000 (our taxes) for the car. I haven't seen it yet, so I don't know if the interior is in a decent condition.

Next on the list, I managed to find a brand new black Superleggera which is also for sale. It's the only black one in the country (1 of 8). Has not been registered yet and they are willing to let it go at a steal of $400,000.

Which one would you go for? I will not be doing any trade ins - will be straight purchase.

Thanks!

My heart leans towards the Diablo a bit, but the Superleggera is nice too....

The fact that you're leaning towards a refined 4wd Diablo doesn't differentiate it enough in my mind from a Gallardo.

I heard there's even a difference in rawness between a 5.7 VT & 6.0 VT....maybe an SV or SE30?

I love the Diablo 6.0 and the only one(it's silver/black) in the whole of Africa is for sale, but I know it has had some minor damage on the rear right wheel. The ex-owner gave the keys to some tool and they took it around the block, spun out and took out the rear right wheel, control arms etc. Apparently damage wasn't that bad, but it has made me weary. The car has 14,000km on the odometer and they want $250,000 (our taxes) for the car. I haven't seen it yet, so I don't know if the interior is in a decent condition.

Next on the list, I managed to find a brand new black Superleggera which is also for sale. It's the only black one in the country (1 of 8). Has not been registered yet and they are willing to let it go at a steal of $400,000.

Which one would you go for? I will not be doing any trade ins - will be straight purchase.

Thanks!

I would go for neither, your 640 should be plenty if you are looking for "lamboness" since there is already a history with the 6.0 I would not go for it. No one knows if the repairs you may have to do down the road. The Superleggera and the LP although handles differently they seem to have come from the same "era." If its the Diablos you want, may I suggest a late model SV. Sure its archaic compared to the LP640 but because its RWD and MUCH lighter you will need time (which is equated with enjoyment as long as you stay within its limits) to get aquainted. I'm a VT person myself (99 Grigcio Antares or Rosso Vik being my #1 (ok tied with a Satin Black LP640 coupe.)) but seeing how you already have a LP640 I HAVE to recommend a SV (unless you can get GTs or SEs for cheap but they are not the most streetable cars mind you.)

Two totally different cars.

But I say SL... you already have one top of the line V-12 model, you don't need another one.

I think you'll drive the SL plenty more than the 6.0 and that's what you want to, right?

because the diablo has some accident history and the SL will be brand new I would go for the SL. You don't know how the diablo was driven etc. and with the SL being brand new and never registered you will have 3 years warranty. Curious how much a brand new lp640 and lp560 are in Africa.

Thanks!

Tough decision. Do you have seat time in either car? You have a stable so I'm assuming either car want see dedicated service, so personal tolerances shouldn't be an issue.

You haven't made a bad choice on cars yet in my opinion, so i doubt you'd start now.

Good luck and let us know what you go with.

I'm a sucker for a black 6.0 though :)

For collectors, the Diablo. For a daily drive, the SL.

Why don't you get the Diablo hoisted up for a good inspection and do a chasis alignment test. Do all the other checks while you're at it.

Thanks guys. I have driven a SL before and I was very impressed, so I have no problems there. Never driven a 6.0 before, but I'm sure I can get a test drive in that one. They have a SV for sale, but I don't know - the car looks great from a distance, but once you get closer. The car has a stuck together feel to it (no disrespect to any 5.7 Diablo owners), the panels have rather large gaps and look a bit warped from certain angles IMO.

I am leaning more towards the SL at this stage.

Brand new 560 here is $512,000 and 640 $825,000. (Both coupes, verts cost a bit more)

Wow, the poll is almost dead even - now at least I know I'm not the only one with a tough decision :lol2:

I'd only go for a pristine 6.0,which are rare. Especially when you have the option to get a steal on a brand new SL. The SL chassis is wonderful. Would it be cost prohibitive to import a pristine 6.0 to SA? Peter2s perfect 6.0 is for sale still, is yellow (would look wonderful next to your LP), and they are only asking for 180K US. What would that be after taxes?

IMHO I would go for the car that has less of a chance of giving me a headache.

I have seen the 6.0 listed for sale...looks amazing! In terms of rarity, I would choose the 6.0 since you 'collect' your cars.

The SL is great, but will be replaced soon, and perhaps is less of a collectors piece in our SA environment. It is however a more drivable car, more reliable and would be an amazing addition to your stable. In fact, my personal decision would be the SL. Tough choice really - drive both and then decide :lol:

Tim

Diablo. Since you have a nice garage I think the 6.0 would satisfy you more. That and the fact that it's unique in South Africa, whereas the SL isn't.

6.0 will sit in the garage and be pretty to look at.

SL you'll find yourself driving a lot and enjoying more.

I voted SL, will compliment the LP640 just right.

It almost depend on how much and where you are going to be driving. You are really comparing apples and oranges. The SL is easier to drive and a more convenient car, yet that also describes your 640 in a way. The 6.0 is a whole different ball game. Much more of a handful when pushed to the limit and obviously a manual transmission.

I personally prefer not to have cars that are too similar. One of them won't get driven and usually its the more inconvenient of the two. I'd do the 6.0 because it is so diffent from the 640. But, make sure you do your homework and find a good one. Diablos are gigantic money pits if you get one that needs work.

damn,that was the most difficult poll on lambopower :P

i voted for the 6.0 for the style and design,but maybe the superleggera is more handling,or not?

anyways 6.0

It almost depend on how much and where you are going to be driving. You are really comparing apples and oranges. The SL is easier to drive and a more convenient car, yet that also describes your 640 in a way. The 6.0 is a whole different ball game. Much more of a handful when pushed to the limit and obviously a manual transmission.

I personally prefer not to have cars that are too similar. One of them won't get driven and usually its the more inconvenient of the two. I'd do the 6.0 because it is so diffent from the 640. But, make sure you do your homework and find a good one. Diablos are gigantic money pits if you get one that needs work.

:iamwithstupid: on all points stated....

I have re-thought this.

Get a DD Countach.

The SL is old technology and the 560 is a far better car.

The 6.0 is a great Diablo but you've got a Diablo chassis with more power (LP640)

The DD, put the loudest exhaust you can on it and run up and down the street playing Cannonball Run. It will be the most fun of the three.