Best Exercise to cut body fat/Gain Muscle

pockmark

LA,

The other thing I find is when I get sore, and I dont workout, it then becomes a couple of days, then a week, then 2 weeks, etc until I work out again. For instance, it was been a month since I last worked out!!!!!

My other issue is that when I gain weight you notice it right away as my face will blow up quickly. I am assuming due to the amount of sugar/salt i have during the day which in turn makes me retain water.

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LA,

The other thing I find is when I get sore, and I dont workout, it then becomes a couple of days, then a week, then 2 weeks, etc until I work out again. For instance, it was been a month since I last worked out!!!!!

Yeah...I have that problem as well.

Off to go running. My thighs are going kill me tonight or tomorrow AM.

Guest SP-superJay
Have you been out to Runyon?

runyon2.jpg

That looks wicked...but fun!!! Reminds me of Angeles Crest...last time I did something like that I had a severe asthma attack, due to the dust, altitude, and strain on my lungs..but that was several years ago. So I wonder if I'd be able to hang??

Yeah...I have that problem as well.

Off to go running. My thighs are going kill me tonight or tomorrow AM.

Like NIKE-Just do it!!! :icon_mrgreen: :icon_thumleft:

In terms of weight loss supplements I HIGHLY recommend Slim Xtreme from Anabolic Xtreme. I started dieting about 3 weeks ago at 181, this morning I was 169. This helped me a lot.

http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/anaboli...5-capsules.html

^^^ Some reviews including mine ^^^

Jason,

Looking for the following:

-A multivitamin that gives lots of energy, but doesn't turn my urine neon green like Mega Men GNC

-A protein shake+bar that tastes great, but does not have lots of carbs and calories

-A suppliment for RAPID muscle repair.

-Any other recommended suppliments to attain my stated goals-lean mass.

-Potentially something like NO2 that provides more vein definition.

-As far as a good multi, I use Animal Pack, but it will turn your urine a lovely color yellow. This is because the quantity of the different vitamins in the pack.

-I would stay away from protein bars, unless you don't have anything else to eat. They are usually much higher in fat and carbs. When it come to powders, SYNTHA 6 by BSN is the best tasting protein out there. Mixes up good, not clumpy or anything. It is a little higher in carbs and fat than others but when you drop the fat, carbs, sugar, etc. you will sacrifice taste. I use Whey Pro by ProLine, or 100% Whey by Optimum Nutrition. Both taste good, but lower in the fat and calories.

-As far as recovery, a really good "all-in-one" supplement would be AfterShock by Myogenix. It has fast absorbing carbs, protein, krealklyn creatine, branch chain amino, essential aminos, anti-oxidants, as well as gloucosamine and chondroitin for your joints.

-Depending on your age, natural test boosters will help add lean muscle by boosting your body's test levels.

-There are thousands of NO2 products out there. The main ingredient in them is arginine. It causes your blood vessels to dilate, giving you the "pumped-up" look.

If you want the "basic" supplement stack that I recommend to my customers it is:

-Protein

-Creatine Ethyl Ester

-Branch Chain Aminos

-Glutamine

-Healthy Fats ie: Fish Oil

-A good Multi Vitamin

-J

One of my good friends who is totally ripped (no juice), used to do Runyon daily. He highly recommends p90x, but you have to be in shape just to do it. Do you see celebs there? He used to spot them almost daily, them and models.

The best thing for you do is basically cut out most carbs. The only carbs you should eat are oatmeal in the am and some sweet potatoes and salads. No carbs after 5pm as well works wonders. High protein, egg whites, grilled chicken, tuna, lean meat like pork, protein shakes with little sugar/carbs and cardio is the best way to get it done. Cardio is best if done upon rising on an empty stomach. Drink as much water as possible, a gallon a day if you can do it. Have one cheat day a week to keep you sane, but even then, don't go overboard. Check out a site called EliteFitness.com, there is a ton of great info on there, supplements that actually work and good people trying to help out. There is quite a bit of steroid talk but there are seperate forums for that. Good luck, it is not easy. Once you make the life style adjustment though, you get used to it.

What I am thinking is hit the gym 6 days a week for 3 months on a strict diet as mentioned above. Then if I dont have the results I want, at least I should be conditioned enough to begin a P90X regimen.

I never tried the P90X but I would imagine it is insane especially if you are just getting back into a workout routine...I work out with just the Power 90 phases 1&2 and I recommend that to anybody just starting back up...Once you feel that you are in better shape and can move on then step it up to phases 3&4 of the Power 90...These 2 different videos are prerequisites for the P90X

you start to not want to skip days. Im addicted.

After 14-16 hour days at work, it makes it VERY easy to skip days. Believe me, I used to work out 2 times a day 6 days a week for years.

After 14-16 hour days at work, it makes it VERY easy to skip days. Believe me, I used to work out 2 times a day 6 days a week for years.

some mornings, I get up at 3:30 and ride indoors for 1.5 hours. If I know that its going to be a busy day, I do what I can to get my workout in.

some mornings, I get up at 3:30 and ride indoors for 1.5 hours. If I know that its going to be a busy day, I do what I can to get my workout in.

You have much more motivation than I do my friend!

You have much more motivation than I do my friend!

Therein lies the key. I have the motivation problem too. I get this huge motivation once a year and hit it for about 4-6 weeks then something happens and i just stop. I'm in your boat, though unlike you I was never on track to possibly be a professional athelete.

Another thing that is really important is getting proper sleep. It's invaluable. The key is to find something you can do and stick with it . You could jump rope for 10-15 minutes every morning, or a quick run or whatever.

I have found though that the one of the keys is results. Once you see results it's much easier to keep going. The thing I emailed you gets fast results and makes it easier to keep going.

Therein lies the key. I have the motivation problem too. I get this huge motivation once a year and hit it for about 4-6 weeks then something happens and i just stop. I'm in your boat, though unlike you I was never on track to possibly be a professional athelete.

Another thing that is really important is getting proper sleep. It's invaluable. The key is to find something you can do and stick with it . You could jump rope for 10-15 minutes every morning, or a quick run or whatever.

I have found though that the one of the keys is results. Once you see results it's much easier to keep going. The thing I emailed you gets fast results and makes it easier to keep going.

Raj,

I just saw the e-mail. Thanks for the support. I am not sure steriods is the key though.

JK :lol2:

P90X is incredibly effective. I was exercising a few times a week, so I was in ok shape for me when I started the 1st 90 day phase. The first 2 weeks killed me, I was popping Alleve like they were Tic-Tacs. I wasn't sure how well the program would work because it was an infomercial, so naturally I was hesitant, but I got immediate results. Along with the shedding weight, my energy level increased, I slept soundly at night, and I just felt better in general. A friend of mine that started P90X lost just under 30lbs in the first 90 days. He didn't look like the people on the infomercial, but his results were significant and he has continued following the program.

One thing I have always hated about exercising, is cardio. P90X incorporates cardio work, but using plyometrics and kenpo karate, instead of jogging or getting on the eliptical runner. I didn't bother with any of the supplements they recommended, I just followed the diet and took a multivitamin. The diet is the same thing you usually hear, plenty of protein, good carbs, proper portions, and healthy snacks between meals. Like Topcarbon said, drink a lot of water.

The best thing about P90X is it is constantly switches routines and exercises so you don't plateau and you don't get bored. Each workout phase last 4 weeks, consisting of 3 weeks of intense training, and the 4th week is a recovery week. The recovery week is still harder than most workouts I have done prior to P90X. The 2nd phase changes up the back, chest, and arm workouts. The final phase blends phases 1 and 2. Throughout the 90 days cycle, the lower body/back work out never changes, neither do the yoga, plyometrics, or kenpo workouts. Yoga is incredibly difficult, there is nothing girly about yoga. Almost forgot, 3 times a week you have Ab Ripper, which is just over 300 reps of different ab and core exercises in 15 minutes. You don't end up with a 6 pack, you finish with more like an 8 pack.

Before starting, I PM'd AKA Cartman as he has also done P90X, so you might PM him and see if he has anything to add.

Mike I quit smoking a couple of months ago. I quit cold turkey and it's the best way to do it. I was smoking around half a pack a day for 8 years. I did gain some weight though so now I need to focus on that instead, but at least I'm getting healthier one step at a time.

I think the key to me quitting this time is enforcing a zero tolerance policy for myself. Before when trying to quit I'd always start back up again because I'd smoke cigars, or hookahs or something and then eventually cigarettes.

One of my good friends who is totally ripped (no juice), used to do Runyon daily. He highly recommends p90x, but you have to be in shape just to do it. Do you see celebs there? He used to spot them almost daily, them and models.

I really like to punish myself so whenever I am winded I start doing jumping jacks, crunches, the thing where you put your hands out and bend your knees....ect.

When it's hot like this there are not as many people but I do famous people all the time. Today I saw two lakers.

The benefit of going now is the strippers just woke up and they are doing their "morning" routine before strolling into the office ;)

A few pix from today....85 degrees and smoggy. Rough day to run.

post-9645-1253142876_thumb.jpg

post-9645-1253142965_thumb.jpg

post-9645-1253142995_thumb.jpg

Mike I quit smoking a couple of months ago. I quit cold turkey and it's the best way to do it. I was smoking around half a pack a day for 8 years. I did gain some weight though so now I need to focus on that instead, but at least I'm getting healthier one step at a time.

I think the key to me quitting this time is enforcing a zero tolerance policy for myself. Before when trying to quit I'd always start back up again because I'd smoke cigars, or hookahs or something and then eventually cigarettes.

Funny thing is that i have always done the same thing too. I quit cigarettes, and tell myself oh I will just have a cigar when I drink, and start back up. How difficult was it for you?

P90X is incredibly effective. I was exercising a few times a week, so I was in ok shape for me when I started the 1st 90 day phase. The first 2 weeks killed me, I was popping Alleve like they were Tic-Tacs. I wasn't sure how well the program would work because it was an infomercial, so naturally I was hesitant, but I got immediate results. Along with the shedding weight, my energy level increased, I slept soundly at night, and I just felt better in general. A friend of mine that started P90X lost just under 30lbs in the first 90 days. He didn't look like the people on the infomercial, but his results were significant and he has continued following the program.

One thing I have always hated about exercising, is cardio. P90X incorporates cardio work, but using plyometrics and kenpo karate, instead of jogging or getting on the eliptical runner. I didn't bother with any of the supplements they recommended, I just followed the diet and took a multivitamin. The diet is the same thing you usually hear, plenty of protein, good carbs, proper portions, and healthy snacks between meals. Like Topcarbon said, drink a lot of water.

The best thing about P90X is it is constantly switches routines and exercises so you don't plateau and you don't get bored. Each workout phase last 4 weeks, consisting of 3 weeks of intense training, and the 4th week is a recovery week. The recovery week is still harder than most workouts I have done prior to P90X. The 2nd phase changes up the back, chest, and arm workouts. The final phase blends phases 1 and 2. Throughout the 90 days cycle, the lower body/back work out never changes, neither do the yoga, plyometrics, or kenpo workouts. Yoga is incredibly difficult, there is nothing girly about yoga. Almost forgot, 3 times a week you have Ab Ripper, which is just over 300 reps of different ab and core exercises in 15 minutes. You don't end up with a 6 pack, you finish with more like an 8 pack.

Before starting, I PM'd AKA Cartman as he has also done P90X, so you might PM him and see if he has anything to add.

Thanks for your insight. Great writeup

I'm currently doing a Wegitloss program called healthpointe,I have seen great results from others. Female lose (8-10kgs)Male lose between (10-15kg in 4-6 weeks), use REAL FOOD, and very easy to follow.

The guidline is:

keep your dailly CARB UNDER 100 GRAM, this including fruit and vegs, and everything else.

For main meal Eat of less fat protein food: egg, lean meat, chicken,seefood, fish,cook them in oven/boil( but you still need fat, like lambda lambda lambda and the omega mu 3 ) and with fruit and vegs.

SNACK(PROTEIN BASED, LESS CARBS) AS MUCH AS YOU WANT, YOU SHOULDN'T BE HUNGRY(i.e protein bars,eggs, etc).

Just weight loss only, 10,000 steps a day.

Drink Lots of water

take Multi vitamin/multi mineral, lambda lambda lambda and the omega mu 3

This is only guidline, there is much more to it, like 3 stages of the program etc I'm doing it now, if you need to know more, just let me know.

I also completed a cycle of P90X. Loved the program. I agree with the variety factor and got lean in the process, but also had significant lean muscle loss which by design of the program. Issues I had I was overtraining due to the volume of sets in the program and was tough on my joints (I'm 46 years old). Loved Yoga and helped with my flexibility and it's a killer workout.

Let me suggest you pick up This book! It changed my whole outlook on workouts. Just some background. I'm been consistently working out for over 20 years and this book help me reprogram and break the bad habits I developed through the years.

[book01.jpg

One caveat, I dont buy the 12 mins a week program, but I incorporated the principles in the book. Now, I'm much stronger, pain free and workout 30-40 mins a day, 5 days a week.

PM if you want me to set you up with a 12 weeks program.

Mike,

The body is a simple mechanism. If you are in taking more calories than you are burning you will gain weight. Conversely if you are in taking less calories you will lose weight. So the first step to losing is decrease caloric intake below your current burning level.

I have been lifting for 20 years and still the best diet and advice has come from old school body builders with very simple formulas. A high protein diet, keep your carbs to basic vegetables that you eat before 2pm. Try to eat dinner before 7pm. Its basic and it works.

As for the gym, after your warm up, do your weights before your cardio. That way your heart is already functioning at a higher rate and your fat burn will be greater.

Getting a trainer for a session or two is the best thing, start out smart and listen to your body.

Mike,

The body is a simple mechanism. If you are in taking more calories than you are burning you will gain weight. Conversely if you are in taking less calories you will lose weight. So the first step to losing is decrease caloric intake below your current burning level.

I have been lifting for 20 years and still the best diet and advice has come from old school body builders with very simple formulas. A high protein diet, keep your carbs to basic vegetables that you eat before 2pm. Try to eat dinner before 7pm. Its basic and it works.

As for the gym, after your warm up, do your weights before your cardio. That way your heart is already functioning at a higher rate and your fat burn will be greater.

Getting a trainer for a session or two is the best thing, start out smart and listen to your body.

Great advice.