Suggestions for sub $4k watch to start the collection

cartekf

What's a good watch in the range of $3k or $4k? I'm looking to buy my first "real" watch and want to get something of respectable pedigree (if that budget can even do achieve that). I like some of the 42mm face breitlings but they seem to be everyone now. i could get a lower end rolex if i flexed up to 5k or so. how is oris or lambda lambda lambda and the omega mu? any other thoughts? I want to stay classy and away from the black faces and rubber straps (for this purchase anyway). Thanks!!

Go with the standards at that price point: Panerai 001, 005, or 111, or a slightly pre-owned 2006-2007 Rolex Submariner. They're very easy to get out of once you're ready for the next class up as they're always in demand by the first-timers, and you'll likely retain 80% of the value (or more if you buy smart) over the next couple years.

Those are your best bets, try to stay away from TAG as they're a great choice below $2k, but there are much better choices at the range you stated. No offense intended to the TAG crowd, I enjoy their time pieces as well.

Go with the standards at that price point: Panerai 001, 005, or 111, or a slightly pre-owned 2006-2007 Rolex Submariner. They're very easy to get out of once you're ready for the next class up as they're always in demand by the first-timers, and you'll likely retain 80% of the value (or more if you buy smart) over the next couple years.

Those are your best bets, try to stay away from TAG as they're a great choice below $2k, but there are much better choices at the range you stated. No offense intended to the TAG crowd, I enjoy their time pieces as well.

:iamwithstupid:

another odd tip I can give you is if you want Rolex, try to buy the OLDEST Rolex you can find in your price range and not the newest... older Rolexs looks better imo and retain full value..

big fan of Porsche Design (orfina) early production chronograph, you can send it to Superior Watch Co. in NY for a complete re-do, so you'll be under $4K and have something rare and baautiful and 'virtually' new....find it on eBay!

I'm still in debate over the Panerai's design. it's simple, maybe too simple. And I never saw myself as a Rolex guy...they seemed like an old mans watch and somehow on the level of a Ferrari...people getting it to show off the label. I am warming up to the idea of an older Rolex though...where is the best place to go about shopping for one? Ebay? Can anyone recommend any other more specialized websites or is that my best bet?

And I never saw myself as a Rolex guy...they seemed like an old mans watch and somehow on the level of a Ferrari...people getting it to show off the label. I am warming up to the idea of an older Rolex though...

you got the right idea about a vintage Rolex... that's where I'm at too.. don't care about new Rolex..

I'm still in debate over the Panerai's design. it's simple, maybe too simple. And I never saw myself as a Rolex guy...they seemed like an old mans watch and somehow on the level of a Ferrari...people getting it to show off the label. I am warming up to the idea of an older Rolex though...where is the best place to go about shopping for one? Ebay? Can anyone recommend any other more specialized websites or is that my best bet?

Contact : [email protected] he goes under the name of GeneralWar on Ebay, ex military guy, honest, good pricing.

If you want a foundation watch, I don't think you can go wrong with a Rolex. Personally, I went with a Sub/date and love it. It's very versatile as your one nice watch. It builds from there to other brands like Panerai, AP, etc

I found a panerai 112 for sale for $3500 (msrp is ~$5k). I like the look of it with the open back. It's 44mm which will look large on my skinny wrists, but shouldn't be too bad since the watch itself isn't bling bling. Included is everything that comes with the watch brand new except the screwdriver. Looks to be in mint condition. Is this a deal? I could probably bargain with him a little...

Buy from a respectable dealer if you dont knwo what your looking at. Ebay, craigslist, some guy my friend knows could cost you big. Stay away from tag if your in the 3-4 range. lowest brand i would pick would be breitling. I would lean towards IWC, Rolex, Panerai, GP. If you see a good used watch you like the condition will likely be "like new" and you'll have passed most of the depreciation.

Any one know how many watches Panerai makes a year?

I read that Rolex makes 700,000+ watches per year...and that just turned me off.

Get yourself a nice Bell & Ross BR01 or BR03. Perfect starting watch and they look fantastic.

I have the BR01 and will probably be picking up a BR03 very shortly.

Big Tag Heuer fan right here. You should take a look at some of those.

I paid about $3k for my Tag Heuer Aquaracer auto chrono with the diamond bezel. It is a great daily watch, very durable and the diamond bezel looks great.

post-10945-1267380862_thumb.jpg

Don't get a Tag. Go with a vintage Rolex, anything will do but a sub or, if you can find it (likely not cheap at all) a Steve McQueen Explorer with the orange hand. I love that watch. I think they are trading in the 10-15k range. Panerai is a great watch. Great look too. If you are worried about it being too big on your wrist buy a 42mm. Bell and Ross looks nice, but they are HUGE cases. GP makes some nice stuff too. Good luck with it.

I have a Seamaster automatic. It's reliable as a rock and equally shows well in a business suit or wet suit (literally).

If you are interested in a nice used one for $1200, PM me.

Most of the old guys you see nowadays wearing a rolex, wear it because they got it back in the eighties. Not because they recently bought one.

I paid about $3k for my Tag Heuer Aquaracer auto chrono with the diamond bezel. It is a great daily watch, very durable and the diamond bezel looks great.

post-10945-1267380862_thumb.jpg

I got that same watch.

anyone have any experience with franck muller watches?

From the title of this thread vs. your query on FM, you are joking right?

From the title of this thread vs. your query on FM, you are joking right?

No...can't you get a base casablanca for around 5-6k? Correct me if I'm wrong here.

No...can't you get a base casablanca for around 5-6k? Correct me if I'm wrong here.

A base Casablanca can be had for around $5k. But your title said sub $4k.

And for the same price, there is quite a selection of watches that are better than a base FM Casablanca. FM is talented and is an ace in marketing. He has some cool-looking pieces and his halo stuff is nice but IMO not worth the $$$ that he's asking for. (Cool looking doesn't necessary mean a good calibre).