Murcielago successor mule spied again

BILL_LV

By CAR Magaizine:

4460490288_e89eed732d_o.jpg

This might be a grainy, long-distance spy shot, but even from far away it’s obvious that this sleek wedge is Lamborghini’s 2011 replacement for the Murcielago. Taken near Estoril in Portugal, this image is our latest look at 2011’s new range-topping Lamborghini supercar.

The new 2011 Lamborghini Murcielago looks a bit, well, ‘Eighties’…

So you’ve spotted the strakes in the side intakes then? And of course the wedge shape was going to remain, emphasised by the short length – today’s Murcielago is shorter than a Mondeo. Expect the final design to be Reventon-inspired and a strong step forward from today’s Murci, but it’ll still be a Lamborghini and it’ll definitely be dramatic – scissors doors will (of course) be present.

Like today’s Murcielago the next-gen supercar will have carbonfibre bodywork, but the new bull from Sant’#### will also have a carbon composite tub instead of the welded steel spaceframe used by the current car. The lightweight diet will mean that, despite coming with four-wheel drive, the Murcielago’s replacement should dip well under 1500kg.

Power will come from a naturally aspirated, direct-injection V12; displacements of 6.0 and 7.0-litres have been rumoured but whatever the engine size this new Italian supercar will have over 700bhp.

Don’t expect a DSG ‘box for seamless shifting though: Lambo has shied away from the twin-clutch technology in favour of sequential manual gearboxes that offer more excitement (and aren’t as expensive to develop).

It will easily top 210mph too, but there’ll be a £300k pricetag to match the performance. Looks like the bullish spirit of Miura, Countach and Diablo is alive and kicking.

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Secret-new-ca...or-2011-scooped

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Whats interesting is they seem to have finally given up the idea of top mounted intakes. One of the problems has always been cooling and now it looks like they are going to side intakes like the McLaren.

57udl3y says:

''if they had that they wouldn't be able to offer 6 speed ''

not at all... a few days ago i saw an info, that Ferrari is bringing 6spd manual into F. California, which is basically dual clutched.

57udl3y says:

not at all... a few days ago i saw an info, that Ferrari is bringing 6spd manual into F. California, which is basically dual clutched.

Strange. The California is the last car I'd think would need a proper 6 speed manual. It's such a boutique car.

57udl3y says:

well it is dual clutch, and it will have a manual option, but it is supposedly the last ferrari to have six speed, From my understanding it's expensive to build a car with both, that is a low production car, though i could be wrong.

Strange. The California is the last car I'd think would need a proper 6 speed manual. It's such a boutique car.

I agree in i wouldn't think the California even needs one, much rather the 458, but the logic behind it i'm sure is because its the cheapest Ferrari, and one they expect to sell the most they can get the most out there.

:jackoff:

Just wait till Geneva.

:iamwithstupid:

Nothing can be gained from this piece other than a mule being tested. And the no-DSG (if true) is not a surprise to those who understand what Lambo is up against in terms of $$$ and the tech involved. Not in the cards, and e-gear in its current iteration (LP560+) is good enough.

just more of the same, can't wait till they show it in the flesh

seriously the anticipation is killing me. At least we can count on it not looking as bas as the 458

seriously the anticipation is killing me. At least we can count on it not looking as bas as the 458

:lol2:

No doubt. I applaud Ferrari's brass for taking a risk to move the needle in a crowded segment, definitely takes courage to move that far off into the unknown with your bread-winner but damn is that thing ugly... :gay:

Looking forward to seeing if the Murcie replacement delivers on all this masturbatory-hype regarding Lambo's "committment to carbon fiber development and application" towards weight savings.

Nothing can be gained from this piece other than a mule being tested. And the no-DSG (if true) is not a surprise to those who understand what Lambo is up against in terms of $$$ and the tech involved. Not in the cards, and e-gear in its current iteration (LP560+) is good enough.

Exactly. I believe most car companies are onto the whole "mule hype" and attempt to gain more publicity by making outlandish claims. Like Mako said, nothing can be drawn from this until the company releases the information. Just have some patience and all will be revealed :icon_thumleft:

Whats interesting is they seem to have finally given up the idea of top mounted intakes. One of the problems has always been cooling and now it looks like they are going to side intakes like the McLaren.

When have you had a problem cooling a Murcielago? I can crank one, put on the AC and leave it idling in the parking lot all day and the temp won't move a millimeter over middle. Older Diablos we had some problems with, but never a Murcielago/LP 640 variant.

I didnt read anything but praise for the Scuderia's sequential manual, and everyone seems to be all smiles with the (relatively inferior to the Scud) egear of the LP560.

Im most interested in seeing how much the new car weighs. Even without a power bump over the SV, a lighter car will still see a huge improvement in performance.

Plus the fact a DSG box has no caracter and is boring compared to a seq E-Gear.