I really need to buy a new gun...

Roman

It would make more sense to me then a red dot...I'd rather have visibility in a dark room or parking lot then a small red dot and no light.

That kimber I like doesn't have a rail though so I guess that's a no go for that.

I have a Kimber Ultra Covert II 3" barrel (came with Crimson Trace laser grips). I conceal carry it sometimes but prefer conceal carrying my HK P30L, S&W M&P 45, HK USP 45 Tactical or HK 45. I have a Surefire X400 weapon light and laser combo on all of them. The 1911 is nice but only holds 7 rounds in the magazine. I can hold 15 9mm rounds with my P30L and 12 45ACP rounds in my USP 45.

Aiming a handgun and getting off an accurate shot during a very high stress situation is extremely difficult and requires loads of training. Even though it may weigh more, I will always choose a longer barrel handgun with light and laser combo on it over a standard handgun. A 3 inch barrel + high stress situation = lots of misses (unless the person you want to stop is at point blank range).

If that person has a firearm and wants to engage you at a distance, you better have something better than a 3" barrel with 7 shots. If you get that Kimber with laser grips then you can be quite accurate.

If you get a handgun with a rail and attach something like the X400 light/laser then check out Raven Concealment Holsters. They are, by far, my favorite holsters for every day carry.

IMG_4861.JPG

IMG_4867.JPG

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh......my new toy :) I just got it 3 days ago.

IMG_4866.JPG

IMG_4865.JPG

I got a 12.7" M6A3 SBR complete upper from LWRC and other goodies that I'm going to put on it, as well as a 150 round SAW-MAG drum :)

Desire to buy new firearms as more pages show up rising. Especially the pistols!

What are our enthusiast opinions on laser grips on a daily carry pistol. Practical or not. In a Self defense situation is it something that would actually help or is it just a good thing for range practice. How many of you use them on your concealed side arm?

My "daily concealed carry" is a revolver with crimson trace built into the grip. I prefer revolver because they don't jam or fail (almost every one of our pistols has jammed on me at the range (including our sig). Doesn't happen often, but I want 100% assurance it's gonna work when I need it, and I have faith in the revolver.

I like the laser because:

1. the red beam alone could be a deterrent

2. under high duress I'll know I'm aimed at my target

3. laser light allows me to hold gun away from my body (for example - arm extended to the side) and still aim correctly. This exposes less of me, cause if my attacker is also armed they'll aim for the light, and if i'm to the side of it - only my hand/arm is exposed (assuming their aim is good)

4. I can turn it off if I don't want it (very easy - switch at bottom of grip)

I would expect to use it only at close range so #1 & 2 could come into play. Reason 3 is less likely but in certain circumstances could be an advantage (far fetched for me).

For those that say the pistols jam on me cause they're not cleaned or maintained - not in my case. Hubby is rather particular about EVERYTHING, and firearms are broken down and cleaned frequently. Our stuff is maintained (to say the least). It's the main reason we went to over/unders - he got tired of breaking down the semi-auto after every 300-400 rounds (which is WAY overkill but it's what he does).

Guest Rob Burgundy

Carol that was a great post and some excellent insight. Thank you very much!

My "daily concealed carry" is a revolver with crimson trace built into the grip. I prefer revolver because they don't jam or fail (almost every one of our pistols has jammed on me at the range (including our sig). Doesn't happen often, but I want 100% assurance it's gonna work when I need it, and I have faith in the revolver.

3. laser light allows me to hold gun away from my body (for example - arm extended to the side) and still aim correctly. This exposes less of me, cause if my attacker is also armed they'll aim for the light, and if i'm to the side of it - only my hand/arm is exposed (assuming their aim is good)

I would expect to use it only at close range so #1 & 2 could come into play. Reason 3 is less likely but in certain circumstances could be an advantage (far fetched for me).

For those that say the pistols jam on me cause they're not cleaned or maintained - not in my case. Hubby is rather particular about EVERYTHING, and firearms are broken down and cleaned frequently. Our stuff is maintained (to say the least). It's the main reason we went to over/unders - he got tired of breaking down the semi-auto after every 300-400 rounds (which is WAY overkill but it's what he does).

Revolvers can malfunction as well... And when they do, there is usually no recovery without a gunsmith.

I carry a revolver as well, and during my last qual. it failed repeatedly.... Bad cylinder pin detent.

Learning how to quickly clear a jammed/malfunctioning firearm, should be a regular and substantial part of your training and practice regiment.

Tap, Rack, Reaquire

Learning how to quickly clear a jammed/malfunctioning firearm, should be a regular and substantial part of your training and practice regiment.

Tap, Rack, Reaquire

:iamwithstupid:

Failed mag seatings, stovepipes, etc. can happen to anyone in any firearm!

For a better solution than a lcp check out that new kimber solo 9mm. So nice!!

Kimbers are nice! Just more then I want to spend right now.

You race motorcycles, track lambos, and are in to shooting sports....Don't tell the hubby (or Renee for that matter) but I have a new crush!!!!

In all seriousness you bring some very valid points to the revolver vs. semi debate.

Revolvers can malfunction as well... And when they do, there is usually no recovery without a gunsmith.

I carry a revolver as well, and during my last qual. it failed repeatedly.... Bad cylinder pin detent.

Tap, Rack, Reaquire

:iamwithstupid:

Failed mag seatings, stovepipes, etc. can happen to anyone in any firearm!

Excellent points all around. I think an import thing to keep in mind is training vs. the real world. We can sit here and type all day long about what we WANT to do but very few of us have been put in a position where we have had to pull out a firearm to stop a B&E or a mugging. I'd be interested to hear stories where someone has had to pull out their CC (whether they fired or not) and how much of their training/prep work was remembered and how much was just pointing it downrange until the situation was over.....

In total agreement re clearing a jam as part of training - it's essential, and I practice.

My personal experience (so far) is that my revolver is more reliable.

Also - in my personal experience, the action on many of the pistols takes a fair amount of hand/finger strength and I sometimes have difficulty. This is made worse if my hands are moist (as in sweaty) which could be likely if I were in a real threat situation. If I find a pistol with decent stopping power that doesn't take "man hands" I'd prefer the advantage of 9 rounds over the 5 in my revolver. But again - confidence is key and since they all can jam - I want to carry something I have confidence in. And since I'm assuming self defense will be a short range situation - I should have a decent chance at acquiring my target if I can get a shot off - (or as many as five) which should stop them - so I'm hoping 9+ rounds wouldn't be needed. Obviously if I were in a situation where 5 shots isn't enough I've badly miss-calculated my surroundings cause I hope never to be in that type of circumstance.

Also agree that one never knows how you'll respond in a real threat situation, which is why I like crimson trace (MAY be deterrent)

I would rather avoid a threat than have to respond - but being prepared is a good thing.

Bottom line - practice creates "muscle memory" which is what you gotta have so in a threat situation you respond (as opposed to react).

OT:

And Hannibal - one correction - I don't race motorcycles (and have no interest at this point). I want to get the bike out for track day cause I understand it's a great way to learn the bike and several folks have recommended it - but that's not a race - it's just a controlled environment where you can hone your skill and learn more about your bike (which is always a good thing). I don't know if I'll like it but I wanna try it. I'm very conservative on my bike and don't know if I'll ever want to go fast on a motorcycle (as in track speeds). But thanks for the compliment :)

• 2 weeks later...

Go with 5.56. Using .223 in a 5.56 is never an issue, but over time 5.56 in a .223 can lead to problems. Mk262 5.56 will be pretty much the best ammo you can feed an AR.

From Wikipedia:

Using commercial .223 Remington cartridges in a 5.56 mm NATO chambered rifle should work reliably, but generally will not be as accurate as when fired from a .223 Remington chambered gun due to the longer leade.[14] Using 5.56 mm NATO mil-spec cartridges (such as the M855) in a .223 Remington chambered rifle can lead to excessive wear and stress on the rifle and even be unsafe, and SAAMI recommends against the practice.[15][16] Some commercial rifles marked as ".223 Remington" are in fact suited for 5.56 mm NATO, such as many commercial AR-15 variants and the Ruger Mini-14 (marked ".223 cal"), but the manufacturer should always be consulted to verify that this is acceptable before attempting it, and signs of excessive pressure (such as flattening or gas staining of the primers) should be looked for in the initial testing with 5.56 mm NATO ammunition.[17]

Cool gun, but unless you just have the money laying around you could build a much better AR for close to 3k. And the carbon fiber is nothing new, PRI has been making carbon fiber hand guards for the better part of a decade (google: Mk12 Mod0).

And .5 inch group at 100 yards, while respectable, isn't record breaking for the AR community.

Edit: And the guy in the video is a little "safety" happy there. Wonder who trained him to do that...

DO WANT. Christensen arms CA-15. Weighs 5.5 lbs,carbon fiber. $2,900. Do you guys recommend getting Ar's chambered in .556 NATO or .223? .556 are also capable of firing both,correct?

http://www.christensenarms.com/tactical/ca-15-recon

ca_15.jpg

Whole article on it in a magazine I just picked up... AR15 Magazine...

I dunno... Carbon Fiber Barrel? Ill let a few thousand people try that out before I volunteer to be a human pin cushion.

Heres the scoop on conversion.

Never fire 5.56 from a .223 gun

And never fire .308 from a 7.62 gun (yes.... See how thats reversed?)

In the end, its unlikely youll fire a whole lot of 5.56... Its a BITCH to reload and the new stuff goes almost exclusively to the .mil - But you want the option-

Guest Rob Burgundy
Whole article on it in a magazine I just picked up... AR15 Magazine...

I dunno... Carbon Fiber Barrel? Ill let a few thousand people try that out before I volunteer to be a human pin cushion.

Heres the scoop on conversion.

Never fire 5.56 from a .223 gun

And never fire .308 from a 7.62 gun (yes.... See how thats reversed?)

In the end, its unlikely youll fire a whole lot of 5.56... Its a BITCH to reload and the new stuff goes almost exclusively to the .mil - But you want the option-

Thats where I saw this today when I stopped at the bookstore! The guy writing the article seemed like a big fan and said it was the best you could buy and was basically the ultimate ar-15....but I had the same thing go through my head..."A carbon fiber barrel,really?"

But from what I understand it has a metal sleeve that the round contacts with inside.

Romandad,I also wanted to ask you what brand you favor for lights as you said you are a big fan.

Thats where I saw this today when I stopped at the bookstore! The guy writing the article seemed like a big fan and said it was the best you could buy and was basically the ultimate ar-15....but I had the same thing go through my head..."A carbon fiber barrel,really?"

But from what I understand it has a metal sleeve that the round contacts with inside.

Romandad,I also wanted to ask you what brand you favor for lights as you said you are a big fan.

Im a BIG fan of Surefire... Their shit just WORKS, plus they make the industry standard mounts for most of the guns that SHOULD have lights... And the mount is the most important factor in choosing a light (a holster that will fit it is the 2nd most important). Add to it they put out 1500 "youjustsawjesus" units, and I havent found a reason not to like them.

(Lets face it... If you have an HKMP, you want a surefire fore end on that bad boy).

Guest Rob Burgundy
Add to it they put out 1500 "youjustsawjesus" units, and I havent found a reason not to like them.

:lol2: jesus-166.gif

Haha. Thank you sir! Ill check into them.

Guest Rob Burgundy

This ones pricey but I MUST have it.

http://www.surefire.com/M720V

"The RAID WeaponLight features an ultra-reliable LED head, variable white-light and infrared output from one head, switching options, and the ability to rapidly transition between white light and infrared output—with no filters needed. Compact, tough, and weatherproof, they attach to your Picatinny rail with a self-adjusting Swing-Lever™ clamp"

Probably a better deal ;)

http://www.surefire.com/X300-LED-WeaponLight

This ones pricey but I MUST have it.

http://www.surefire.com/M720V

"The RAID WeaponLight features an ultra-reliable LED head, variable white-light and infrared output from one head, switching options, and the ability to rapidly transition between white light and infrared output—with no filters needed. Compact, tough, and weatherproof, they attach to your Picatinny rail with a self-adjusting Swing-Lever™ clamp"

Probably a better deal ;)

http://www.surefire.com/X300-LED-WeaponLight

I have the x300 on my sig... Good unit.... Mounts REALLY firm. No wriggle or jiggle....

Anyone have their AR upper or lower in FDE?

I don't like painting (krylon) since it seems to chip and is temporary.

Anyone tried anodizing or powdercoating?

I like the look of the old LWRC's in FDE but not the price tag.

lwrc_repr_18in_fde_14.jpg

Anyone have their AR upper or lower in FDE?

I don't like painting (krylon) since it seems to chip and is temporary.

Anyone tried anodizing or powdercoating?

I like the look of the old LWRC's in FDE but not the price tag.

lwrc_repr_18in_fde_14.jpg

I "duracoat"... Pretty easy and fun too!

One piece of advice... Dont mix duracoat in plastic dixie cups.... Something in Duracoat causes the plastic in dixie cups to melt.... And then the duracoat pours out the bottom of the melting cup onto the patio floor... And then it occurs to you that Duracoat dries really fast and hardens to a diamond like finish.... So you spray it with a garden hose, thinking that will clean it up before it dries, but then you realize that just spreads what was a small puddle of duracoat so that it evenly stains the entire patio... And then you have to get down on your hands and knees and scrub the concrete clean with sandpaper and turpentine before your wife gets home and shoots you with the gun you just duracoated.

Not that thats ever happened to me....

I "duracoat"... Pretty easy and fun too!

One piece of advice... Dont mix duracoat in plastic dixie cups.... Something in Duracoat causes the plastic in dixie cups to melt.... And then the duracoat pours out the bottom of the melting cup onto the patio floor... And then it occurs to you that Duracoat dries really fast and hardens to a diamond like finish.... So you spray it with a garden hose, thinking that will clean it up before it dries, but then you realize that just spreads what was a small puddle of duracoat so that it evenly stains the entire patio... And then you have to get down on your hands and knees and scrub the concrete clean with sandpaper and turpentine before your wife gets home and shoots you with the gun you just duracoated.

Not that thats ever happened to me....

:lol2:

I got such a great visual out of that, Thanks i needed a good laugh today.