World Cup 2010

capt_chaos

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

U.S. is facing the Czech's on Wednesday, then I believe Turkey on Saturday.... Australia before the tournament begins. I am very interested in the Turkey game on Saturday.

Correction: Game is tomorrow night vs Czechs

Argentina shows why they are teh win.

I just got the demo of the Fifa 10 WC game, pretty decent, but I still like my PES 2010 more.

U.S. is facing the Czech's on Wednesday, then I believe Turkey on Saturday.... Australia before the tournament begins. I am very interested in the Turkey game on Saturday.

Pardon my ignorance, but do the teams warm up against teams not in their brackets? Also is it like preseason American football where you save your stars until the real games to avoid them getting injured?

Pardon my ignorance, but do the teams warm up against teams not in their brackets? Also is it like preseason American football where you save your stars until the real games to avoid them getting injured?

I'll use the United States as the example. What they did was select 30 players to training camp up till the world cup. The roster has to be trimmed down to 23 by a deadline which i don't know when that it is. I believe within the next week. These warm-up games are scheduled against competition that best resembles the teams they will face in their bracket or close in geography. What the U.S. may do against the Czech's tuesday night is start most or all of the starting lineup that will go face england on the 12th...They will probably play for a half and then in the second half he will put the bench and the players possibly on the borderline. With every game, the starters probably will play longer, some may play every minute of the 3 warmup games, its all up to the coach,so i guess NFL preseason does kind of fit for the analogy.... I guess the injury part is the reason they take so many and then trim down. I think that if an injury happens when you do get down to 23, you are allowed to bring someone to fill the numbers.

I am not sure if I would hit that or not. Probably.

Anyway, ze Dutch have announced their final squad

Maarten Stekelenburg (Ajax),

Sander Boschker (FC Twente),

Michel Vorm (FC Utrecht);

Khalid Boulahrouz (Stuttgart),

Edson Braafheid (Celtic),

Giovanni van Bronckhorst (Feyenoord),

John Heitinga (Everton),

Joris Mathijsen (HSV),

Gregory van der Wiel (Ajax),

Andre Ooijer (PSV);

Mark van Bommel (Bayern Munich),

Nigel de Jong (Manchester City),

Stijn Schaars (AZ),

Wesley Sneijder (Inter),

Rafael van der Vaart (Real Madrid),

Demy de Zeeuw (Ajax),

Ibrahim Afellay (PSV);

Dirk Kuyt (Liverpool),

Eljero Elia (HSV),

Ryan Babel (Liverpool),

Klaas-Jan Huntelaar (AC Milan),

Robin van Persie (Arsenal),

Arjen Robben (Bayern Munich).

Altitude training must kicking their backsides in a bit.

USA squad

Goalkeepers: Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Tim Howard (Everton), Marcus Hahnemann (Wolves)

Defenders: Carlos Bocanegra (Rennes), Jonathan Bornstein (Chivas USA), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover), Jay DeMerit (Watford), Clarence Goodson (IK Start), Oguchi Onyewu (AC Milan), Jonathan Spector (West Ham)

Midfielders: DaMarcus Beasley (unattached), Michael Bradley (Borussia Monchengladbach), Ricardo Clark (Houston Dynamo), Clint Dempsey (Fulham), Landon Donovan (Los Angeles Galaxy), Maurice Edu (Rangers), Benny Feilhaber (Aarhus), Stuart Holden (Bolton), Jose Torres (Pachuca)

Forwards: Jozy Altidore (Villarreal), Edson Buddle (Los Angeles Galaxy), Robbie Findley (Real Salt Lake), Herculez Gomez (Puebla).

Anybody going to SA btw? I should be there from June 25th to July 2nd

I'm a little late to this thread...haven't kept up with what's going on in the soccer world.

My countries are USA (me), Brazil (mom), and Italy (dad)....given the recent success over the last 8 years of the latter two, I'm open to rooting for other teams to diversify the pot a little.....about any country except France, and if you know your recent world cup history no need to explain why. :icon_mrgreen:

How does the US look this year? Any up and comers that look interesting?

Holy shit, I met Ronaldinho tonight at a club!!! Hung with the guy and he said he was in San Diego to just hang out since he hadn't been here before. Julio Cesar was there also (the chosen goalie). I wished them good luck, JC really appreciated that (since he's the #1 goalie for the Brazil team (in the World Cup). And they said they were just in town for today. I offered to buy them a couple drinks and Ronaldinho declined saying he didnt drink. But he was buying drinks for all his bros. though (10 of them). All they drank was Bud Light...

Very cool guy and we conversed in Portuguese for a bit and they were off in a stretch Limo with 7 chicks in tow...

A asked one of the bartenders "do you know who this guy is?" And she said, "no but I wanted to ask him whats with all the "bling" (he had rings and necklaces and bracelets shining) real diamonds, "what is he a soccer player or something??"and I told her "this guy is worth $100 Million dollars" THAT got her attention obviously...Pretty cool seeing these guys just having a good time without all the paparazzi. Security was deep though. I'd say 1/3rd of the patrons knew who he was. And he's not even selected to the big dance this year. Go figure. Cool guy, very laid back.

I hope you didn't wish Ronaldinho good luck because he isn't even going to the WC...

Is Dunga nutz??

Here is the squad:

Goalkeepers: Julio Cesar (Inter Milan), Heurelho Gomes (Tottenham), Doni (AS Roma).

Defenders: Maicon (Inter Milan), Daniel Alves (Barcelona), Michel Bastos (Lyon), Gilberto (Cruzeiro), Lucio (Inter Milan), Juan (AS Roma), Luisao (Benfica), Thiago Silva (AC Milan).

Midfielders: Elano (Galatasaray), Kaka (Real Madrid), Gilberto Silva (Panathinaikos), Josue (Wolfsburg), Ramires (Benfica), Felipe Melo (Juventus), Kleberson (Flamengo), Julio Baptista (AS Roma).

Forwards: Luis Fabiano (Sevilla), Nilmar (Villarreal), Robinho (Santos), Grafite (Wolfsburg).

Right I have no real idea about soccer, j/k, I know a few names on the Aussie team. I also know New Zealand will be there (my birth country). Don't know who's in our pool, or how well we'll go.

But I already have a standing invitation for a few 4.30 (AM!!!!) canadian clubs and cokes on Monday week for the Germany game. Is that wrong?

I hope you didn't wish Ronaldinho good luck because he isn't even going to the WC...

Mind you, I wasn't all groupie an shit over those guys. I already saw they were in the place but whatever, it happens, not the 1st time I've seen pro-athletes before (I have a few as clients).... So anyways, I was at the bar and Ronaldinho pushed up next to me to order some drinks. I turned and said "oh hey whats up", shook hands and asked "so whats goin on in San Diego, what brought you here?" He responded, an we said a couple things (small talk shit). He wasn't trying to avoid conversation, was just real chill. JC came over to grab a beer Ron introduced him, we shook hands etc. And yeah, Im dialed in, it was just JC that I said good luck to as they left, "thanks man I really appreciate that." was his response. Cool to see they were down to earth dudes, probably just glad only a few people recognized them.

And I think Dunga is an Idiot thats bringing a boring defensive minded team to the WC.

Balls, bollocks and nuts.

We announced our squad this week and Walcott was omitted because of indiscipline on the pitch.

Today Rio was injured in a training tackle by lumpy Heskey and now we have lost our central defender/captain.

North Korea have been told off because they named a striker as a third goalie.

And I think Dunga is an Idiot thats bringing a boring defensive minded team to the WC.

Dunga knows his stuff, Ronaldinho is shadow of his former self. He is that big.

Nike are not happy though!

What the heck is up with the injury bug this year? Now Rio and Drogba????

Drogba too?! That sucks!! Injury by tackle is just plain dumb. They should do nothing but drills, run to stay in shape and play against air; passing and attack strategy in practices leading up to the Cup. Just like American football, no contact on game week.

Dunga knows his stuff, Ronaldinho is shadow of his former self. He is that big.

Nike are not happy though!

IMO, he's still one of the top 100 players in the world though.

Altidore injured in the US camp, add him to MAJOR performers hurt right now, fuuuuuuuuuuu

regarding Brazil, Pato was omitted too, he is 20 years old and plays like a seasoned pro week after week with AC Milan and pile of Dunga left him home :eusa_wall: