What did you do today?

topcabron

No need for cardio if the only reason you're doing it is to lose fat. Dial in your diet and increase your workout intensity with compound movements and less rest between sets.

x2, also stick to 3 sets of at least 12-15 reps each per workout

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My best friend and old workout partner had a baby in November so I've been working out with my roommate and haven't done any really heavy weight in months. Every set is at least 8 reps and that is even rare. Lots of 21's, lots of drop sets, and things like that. But even though I "feel" a little weaker, I have gained muscle and size but have maintained weight. I can tell a difference too because I am burning more calories compared to prior to all these new workouts. I also haven't done bench press with barbell in months!!!! Lol, feels weird but most incline stuff or machine presses or free weights.

Raj I'd be curious to hear what you guys came up with as far as workarounds. I still can't do dips properly because of the shoulder.

To get around heavy bench and dips I switched to flys and dumbell bench. 3 sets of 10.

1. Incline dumbbell fly then incline bench

2. Flat " "

3. Decline " "

I've had very good results in size and definition doing this. I also added a machine fly and on chest day add extra sets until fatigue.

:iamwithstupid:

I'm not looking for absolute size so gains don't matter. I need to loose fat especially my genetically predispostioned belly.

Have had good results but this week of vacation has hurt it. I'll get it back.

^This. I get my cardio while doing my lifting. Keep your heart rate up..you know your heart rate is up there if you have a solid sweat going the whole time.

Dial in your diet like 05LSV said.

I hired gla's trainer in August of last year. Gone from a 36 inch waste to 32, lost 17 pounds. Diet, a good program and consistency. I am surprised how much weight I have lost, considering we don't do that much traditional cardio (which I hate).

I hired gla's trainer in August of last year. Gone from a 36 inch waste to 32, lost 17 pounds. Diet, a good program and consistency. I am surprised how much weight I have lost, considering we don't do that much traditional cardio (which I hate).

Nice.

BTW, I'm assuming "cardio" as in typical treadmill, stationary bicycle stuff?

Yeah, that stuff as a routine gets old quick.

The high intensity cardio you find in CF/p90 workouts work a lot better and don't bother you mentally as much.

And while it's possible to be super lean without ever doing cardio, that's a s***load of super clean eating for quite a bit of time.

I have known a ton of crossfit guys and gals, some really, really hardcore. They are killing themselves like you wouldn't believe, and only a handful have really lean bodies.

Food is a motherf****.

Cutting. Talk to me.

But you have so much to live for! Liverpool might take it!

Honestly, get your lazy ass on google, oh, and eat 12x your bodyweight in calories in the meantime, with one cheat day. 50% protein, 30% carbs 20% fat split.

• 5 months later...

I had taken a bit of a break from them but I did 2 shorter mud runs this year...a Tribal Quest and a Running Dirty. Both were around 4-5 miles. I fly through all the obstacles and actually I have never failed an obstacle from any of these events but it allows me to catch up from being nd of slow during the running portions. I have yet to do a Spartan though so on a whim, I signed up for a Spartan Beast...12+ miler. Going to make the long drive to SC end of October to do it. Doubt there is anyone on here in that area planning to do it but if so, let me know. I'm also looking to try to get on American Ninja Warrior.

I had put on 10 lbs of bulk but then I had 7 days off because I got I'll. I lost 6-8 lbs and the result is that the build is coming back on lean and striated rather than straight bulk. I'm liking it.

I don't know for sure but I feel this muscle is more metabolic because my weight hasn't increased but the muscle is adding on.

Being sick has its benefits. Usually the downside is losing a little muscle mass and feeling weaker. More muscle will definitely burn more calories.

I was pretty active this weekend and ate not so great...2 pizzas and a 2 liter bottle of coke and still lost a few pounds.

Being sick has its benefits. Usually the downside is losing a little muscle mass and feeling weaker. More muscle will definitely burn more calories.

I was pretty active this weekend and ate not so great...2 pizzas and a 2 liter bottle of coke and still lost a few pounds.

Haha goodness..

If you ever sign up for a spartan/tough mudder in TX let me know, I'd be down. I have been wanting to do one for awhile now.

The one in Austin looks awesome every year, in the hill country.

Ran 9 miles yesterday and killed my knees/feet. Today was chest day and instead of cadio I do sets of dumbbell snatches, 5 each arm with light weight (60lbs) between every set. Now THAT gets my heart rate up

yesterday

13 minutes on the bike

13 minutes elliptical

13 minutes running

13 minutes on the bike

all at a high heart rate over 150 bpm and high intensity

yesterday

13 minutes on the bike

13 minutes elliptical

13 minutes running

13 minutes on the bike

all at a high heart rate over 150 bpm and high intensity

I hope you're eating a lot of chimichangas

• 4 months later...

Recently started a kettlebell workout (taking my time on getting form down). So far it's a great way to workout at home. Using Pavel Tsatsouline's instructional video.

Question for you guys, though (since too many meatheads on other forums/sites): How much protein can I take during the day? I usually have a protein shake after working out (2 scoops of ON Whey in a shaker with skim milk) but have read that I really need at least 1g per pound of body weight. Besides eating chicken and trying to eat better, how can I absorb that much protein effectively if the Internet is saying my body can only absorb 8-10g of protein an hour?

This month I have been killing cardio doing about 35-40 minutes every morning. Starting to very slowly see results, but my energy is through the roof, and my ability to focus is also getting much better.

This month I have been killing cardio doing about 35-40 minutes every morning. Starting to very slowly see results, but my energy is through the roof, and my ability to focus is also getting much better.

AM cardio on an empty stomach is a biotch, but when you get used to it...awesome results!

After work, I hit the gym and do 3 days weights, off days cardio. Its bee fun! Trying to keep it up because schedule is always variable!

I've had to cut down because of joint pains. My shoulders especially. Sucks. IBe been doing only weights but am going to transiston to more cardio.

I've found good results with sleeping in as late as possible, eating more without really considering what it is, not moving as much, and not giving a damn. :lol2:

My doctor disagrees, but what do they know?

3 weeks cutting before Mexico. All inclusive resort for a week, open bar clubs each night. Day 2 I looked more muscular. Day 7 I was scared. Back to the beans zuccini and protein until abs come back. My question is if you want the skin to tighten u pretty much have to do cardio? Ie can't just cut calories. Stig-eat at least 1g if you want to gain. If skinny eat 1.5g. Split over 4-6 meals and or shakes. No more than 30% shakes protein intake daily though.

3 weeks cutting before Mexico. All inclusive resort for a week, open bar clubs each night. Day 2 I looked more muscular. Day 7 I was scared. Back to the beans zuccini and protein until abs come back. My question is if you want the skin to tighten u pretty much have to do cardio? Ie can't just cut calories. Stig-eat at least 1g if you want to gain. If skinny eat 1.5g. Split over 4-6 meals and or shakes. No more than 30% shakes protein intake daily though.

Your skin should be fairly elastic so unless you're talking about a massive change in weight, I don't think there would be much looseness. Unless you just mean cardio to lose water weight?

Lol, what? 1 or 1.5 grams of what? I get about 150-200g of protein a day. Haven't heard of zucchini much in cutting diets. Asparagus, broccoli, green beans, spinach, peas and carrots for me. I bake a bunch of chicken breast on the weekends to eat during the week. I've been attempting to bulk and I've put on about 15 lbs of muscle the last few months. Going to give it another months and cut out all the hardboiled eggs and cut before the warm weather. I rarely do less than 8 reps of anything anymore. Sometimes sets of 30 reps. The knee is finally pretty good after the surgery so I'm back to leg workouts, and rowing, and stairclimber.