What did you do today?

topcabron

hey vbox - I noticed that your legs are going forward a little as you are pulling up. Is this something that you concentrate on doing as part of the technique of the exercise, or does it happen inadvertently from simple momentum?

Its for balance when doing the muscle up, like I said....

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Damn V that is a nice explosive movement!!! The legs going up is a reflex I believe is natural because you are tightening your abs very hard at that point?

Damn V that is a nice explosive movement!!! The legs going up is a reflex I believe because you are tightening your abs very hard at that point?

Yeah its also for balance, theres a difference between using legs for balance and using legs to gain momentum to essentially do a kipping motion to help someone with the pull up motion

What I have found for muscle ups so far is, and I am by far no expert, is that you have to pull away from the bar more than you would for a regular pullup. When pulling away from the bar further to leave room for your upper body to clear the bar, your legs go up more to help balance yourself. I think the better your technique becomes the less you will need to use your legs for balance, but I think you will always have to use them a little bit.

If I were doing these again I would probably do the rocking movement and explode into a pullup on the swing back just to get a little momentum and get it done that way, at least at first

Here, I will get us started with the video. Rawr, notice how I did all 3 from a dead hang and didnt use my legs for momentum, just for balance.

fcuk me man! That made my shoulders hurt watching you!! Nice work though.

Nice job, Aaron.

As some have said, I also believe that technique plays a large role in executing a Muscleup. Of course, strength is also obviously a factor, but given that I have seen some 135 lb guys doing it that are 5'8 or so, I am inclined to believe most of this is technique based. In Aarons position, given that he hasn't perfected the technique (I am assuming) and can still pull several off just shows that he is a pretty strong fella..=) Once technique is perfected, it will be a breeze, I think.

Finally broke my plateau on bench and got 265 6x and then to my surprise was still able to do 225 6x on incline bar afterwards. Slowwwly going to get to that 315 max bench.

I'm going to try a few "jump muscle-ups" today at the gym to see if I can bypass the pull-up portion and get a little technique ingrained for the second half of the movement.

How is everyone with squats?

I'm having flexibility problems with squatting.....hard for me to keep the lumbar curve all the way down with weight on my heels. Just doing a simple air squat with no weight is harder than it needs to be.

The key to going all the way down on squats (below parallel) has been using a 10lb plate under my heels during the set. I'm lacking some ankle/calf flexibility so I lose balance backwards when I try to go deep without some heel lift underneath.

I usually warm up with squats and go up to 185 or so, and then do my working sets with a plate-loaded leg press.

The key to going all the way down on squats (below parallel) has been using a 10lb plate under my heels during the set. I'm lacking some ankle/calf flexibility so I lose balance backwards when I try to go deep without some heel lift underneath.

I usually warm up with squats and go up to 185 or so, and then do my working sets with a plate-loaded leg press.

I like this idea, I shall try it.

Thanks.

My favorit thing in the gym is to see these you kids throw on 3 plates and go a quarter of the way down. Making a ton of noise. lol.

Guarantee they cant do a set of 10 REAL squats with 225.

My favorit thing in the gym is to see these you kids throw on 3 plates and go a quarter of the way down. Making a ton of noise. lol.

Guarantee they cant do a set of 10 REAL squats with 225.

no kidding. I'm right there with you on these. ATF = Ass to floor

Did muscle ups again today, did 15 total, via sets of 1, 2, 3. Heres a set of 3, I think I am getting better, they look smoother. What do you guys think?

Awesome. Much smoother. I think you need to change to house music and you'll be able to get a couple more reps.

Did muscle ups again today, did 15 total, via sets of 1, 2, 3. Heres a set of 3, I think I am getting better, they look smoother. What do you guys think?

Good god, impressive. Trying to do even 1 was pretty hard, today I couldn't quite get to the top, almost there...I'll keep working on it.

okay, I've now done a total of 3 "jump muscle-ups" (as I like to call them) over my last 2 workouts. I'm getting the feel for the movement, but I just don't know if I have the power to do the pull-up portion without a little spring to start with. Going to continue working on this just for fun.

okay, I've now done a total of 3 "jump muscle-ups" (as I like to call them) over my last 2 workouts. I'm getting the feel for the movement, but I just don't know if I have the power to do the pull-up portion without a little spring to start with. Going to continue working on this just for fun.

I did these as well at the end of my workout when I was so tired I couldnt get any more regular ones. At the very end I did 5 in a row, jumped into a muscle up, back down and repeat. It really lit up my triceps and shoulders and traps big time. My wrists bothered me the next few days (I think it was more from the weighted dips I did), so I am going to start using wrist supports when doing them just to be safe. The pull up bar I have is a bit shakey (wasnt really designed for muscleups) as you can see in the video, so I ordered a Hammer Strength power rack that will be a lot more solid. This alone should improve the amount I can do as well as ward off potential injury.

This is the one I ordered, should be here in 6 weeks or so.

http://www.lifefitness.com/commercial/hamm...power-rack.html

Great job to all so far!

Vbox, great form and great build.

Today, 26.2 :turboalex:

Can't wait to get back to lifting this week! It's been horrid half assing it since march.

I did these as well at the end of my workout when I was so tired I couldnt get any more regular ones. At the very end I did 5 in a row, jumped into a muscle up, back down and repeat. It really lit up my triceps and shoulders and traps big time. My wrists bothered me the next few days (I think it was more from the weighted dips I did), so I am going to start using wrist supports when doing them just to be safe. The pull up bar I have is a bit shakey (wasnt really designed for muscleups) as you can see in the video, so I ordered a Hammer Strength power rack that will be a lot more solid. This alone should improve the amount I can do as well as ward off potential injury.

Good purchase - should help you out a lot. I noticed all the plates all over your existing setup to hold it in place...way to step up. lol.

Great job to all so far!

Can't wait to get back to lifting this week! It's been horrid half assing it since march.

26.2....awesome! :icon_pray:

Lifting is gonna leave you sore, but a good sore. :icon_thumleft:

Great job to all so far!

Thanks! A full marathon, nice. Was it a race or event or just something you went for on your own? Are you training for anything in particular right now?

Good purchase - should help you out a lot. I noticed all the plates all over your existing setup to hold it in place...way to step up. lol.

Thanks, when I bought the bar in the video, I just wanted something fast and for pullups which is works great for. Now that I want to do muscle ups, I gotta get the real deal. Just sucks that its going to take like 6 weeks to get it :(

Have you checked Craig's list? There's usually some nice commercial equipment on there on the searches I've done in the past for my area.