The "Ive got no choice... I have to bitch about Obamacare" thread

Roman

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as I agree foreign aid needs to be scrutinized, it's a SMALL portion of our budget. Cutting it entirely won't save us.

Couldnt hurt.

See... "its just such a small portion of the budget and wont make any difference" is the excuse to never cut ANYTHING. A budget, by definition, is made up of THOUSANDS of line items, most amounting to far less than 1% of the overall budget, but each sucking hundreds of millions of dollars each. If you look at the job of government as a means to redistribute wealth, than thats a great thing... You take money from those terrible people who earn it by providing a good or service others want, and give it to your friends the bureaucrats who support your re-election.

If you see the job of government as a steward to responsibly account for every penny, because you took it, by force, from somebody else, and that should never be taken flippantly, its unsupportable.

"A billion here... A billion there... Before you know it adds up to real money...."

Couldnt hurt.

See... "its just such a small portion of the budget and wont make any difference" is the excuse to never cut ANYTHING. A budget, by definition, is made up of THOUSANDS of line items, most amounting to far less than 1% of the overall budget, but each sucking hundreds of millions of dollars each. If you look at the job of government as a means to redistribute wealth, than thats a great thing... You take money from those terrible people who earn it by providing a good or service others want, and give it to your friends the bureaucrats who support your re-election.

If you see the job of government as a steward to responsibly account for every penny, because you took it, by force, from somebody else, and that should never be taken flippantly, its unsupportable.

"A billion here... A billion there... Before you know it adds up to real money...."

:iamwithstupid: :icon_thumleft:

Couldnt hurt.

True. But it's a common fallacy that our budget is so screwed up all because of foreign aid. And it's a common argument that by cutting it, we would solve all of our problems. I don't have problems sending money to Africa or countries in need of help (Haiti) IF it can be used effectively. Nation building should be a cornerstone of our country - especially ones we have invaded.

The big issues like defense, social security, and health care are the ones that are screwing up the books. And it seems like no one wants to tackel that.

I don't have problems sending money to Africa or countries in need of help (Haiti) IF it can be used effectively. Nation building should be a cornerstone of our country - especially ones we have invaded.

Care to share what that money is being used for?

You are operating on quite a few "if"s. It's time for people to open their eyes to the reality of the situation, not what it "should be" or "could be".

True. But it's a common fallacy that our budget is so screwed up all because of foreign aid. And it's a common argument that by cutting it, we would solve all of our problems. I don't have problems sending money to Africa or countries in need of help (Haiti) IF it can be used effectively. Nation building should be a cornerstone of our country - especially ones we have invaded.

The big issues like defense, social security, and health care are the ones that are screwing up the books. And it seems like no one wants to tackel that.

You bring up some good points. Personally, I think we SHOULD send money to people in need all over the world.... TRHOUGH PRIVATE CHARITY. Not by forced confiscation. And Americans, remarkably DO send such charity, in greater amounts than any other people on earth. (and guess what.... That private aid has a far higher chance of reaching the people in need, rather than governmental aid, which has to trickle down through 30 layers of corrupt government before it gets to the people)

"Nation building" is not the goal of foreign aid. You mention defense. Foreign aid and defense are linked. The idea being we can "support" a friendly regime (regardless of how ugly that regime way be, theyre on our side) and the alternative is to spend that money anyways in a war... The winner in the analysis is Foreign aid because it doesnt include the human costs of war. But as Egypt has shown, its a BAND AID. We have sunk billions of dollars supporting Sadat and Mubarik, to prevent the radicals from taking over the country, and by this time next week there will be a 50/50 chance we will be right back where we were (politically at least) in October of 73.

Bush TRIED to tackle social security (which is in fact broken).... And it was the beginning of the end of his presidency.

Bush TRIED to tackle social security (which is in fact broken).... And it was the beginning of the end of his presidency.

Do it on your last term, fix the damn thing! What do you guys think will happen with this 30 years from now?

Do it on your last term, fix the damn thing! What do you guys think will happen with this 30 years from now?

Social security is DONE. IT WILL NOT BE THERE 20 years from now.... Just plan accordingly. The money you are putting into it, just right it off as another tax and forget it.... Its NOT THERE. So dont bitch about it... Dont whine about it... Think of it as a Mitzvah to the baby boomers and hope for some karma.

PS.... There will be a bonus for anybody who can cogently weave more world religions into a single post.

Social security is DONE. IT WILL NOT BE THERE 20 years from now.... Just plan accordingly. The money you are putting into it, just right it off as another tax and forget it.... Its NOT THERE. So dont bitch about it... Dont whine about it... Think of it as a Mitzvah to the baby boomers and hope for some karma.

PS.... There will be a bonus for anybody who can cogently weave more world religions into a single post.

Hmm...

"We are going to take 7.65% of your paycheck, MR RomanDad. It is DONE. IT WILL NOT BE GIVEN BACK TO YOU EVER.... Just plan accordingly. The money you are putting into it, just right it off as another tax and forget it.... Its NOT THERE. So dont bitch about it... Dont whine about it... Think of it as a Mitzvah to the baby boomers and hope for some karma."

how much karma hoping would you like to exchange for that 9,000?

I had a very good econ prof so the class knew this back in 2004... the point is, fcuk the third rail, everyone gets old. If you are bitching about paying dues and (JUST FEAR of) not getting anything back.. how can you look in the eyes of people who will DEFINITELY not get anything back after paying theirs?

Hmm...

"We are going to take 7.65% of your paycheck, MR RomanDad. It is DONE. IT WILL NOT BE GIVEN BACK TO YOU EVER.... Just plan accordingly. The money you are putting into it, just right it off as another tax and forget it.... Its NOT THERE. So dont bitch about it... Dont whine about it... Think of it as a Mitzvah to the baby boomers and hope for some karma."

how much karma hoping would you like to exchange for that 9,000?

I had a very good econ prof so the class knew this back in 2004... the point is, fcuk the third rail, everyone gets old. If you are bitching about paying dues and (JUST FEAR of) not getting anything back.. how can you look in the eyes of people who will DEFINITELY not get anything back after paying theirs?

Its math. Zero minus anything is still ZERO. You cant get blood from a stone.

Heres the dirty little secret of SS.... You were never supposed to collect it.... EVER... ANYBODY!

When SS was introduced in 1935, the retirement age was 65... As it is today. The average LIFESPAN however was 61! MOST people would never collect it, nor were they supposed to. MOST PEOPLE DIED four years before they could collect.... Today however the average lifespan is 77- 13 years LONGER than the retirement age....

Listen, you could HELP SS tremendously by doing one thing.

RAISE THE RETIREMENT (or collection) AGE TO 75.

Its math. Zero minus anything is still ZERO. You cant get blood from a stone.

Heres the dirty little secret of SS.... You were never supposed to collect it.... EVER... ANYBODY!

When SS was introduced in 1935, the retirement age was 65... As it is today. The average LIFESPAN however was 61! MOST people would never collect it, nor were they supposed to. MOST PEOPLE DIED four years before they could collect.... Today however the average lifespan is 77- 13 years LONGER than the retirement age....

Listen, you could HELP SS tremendously by doing one thing.

The problem is people would have to work until 74. It is sad that a big majority of people don't have money saved when they reach this age, so we might have to think about fighting the cause (ridiculous spending, advertising agencies pushing shit down our throats incessantly, no discipline) Has anyone picked up a magazine lately? I can't read that shit anymore - it is ads, more ads, and lastly articles that are supposedly helpful but actually just more ads and deals with the magazine to push certain products. No wonder they are dying, no quality and all bullshit.

The problem is people would have to work until 74.

Yeah? So? If you dont save, you have to work. Immutable truth of life.

The AVERAGE age in the U.S. Senate RIGHT now is 64 years old.... People are more than capable of working into their 70s.

The problem is people would have to work until 74. It is sad that a big majority of people don't have money saved when they reach this age, so we might have to think about fighting the cause (ridiculous spending, advertising agencies pushing shit down our throats incessantly, no discipline) Has anyone picked up a magazine lately? I can't read that shit anymore - it is ads, more ads, and lastly articles that are supposedly helpful but actually just more ads and deals with the magazine to push certain products. No wonder they are dying, no quality and all bullshit.

What?

Are you trying to relate social security to magazine revenue? I don't get it.

Yeah? So? If you dont save, you have to work. Immutable truth of life.

The AVERAGE age in the U.S. Senate RIGHT now is 64 years old.... People are more than capable of working into their 70s.

Exactly. If they don't want to work in their 70s, then they have the option to save their own money.

It's all about choices.

What?

Are you trying to relate social security to magazine revenue? I don't get it.

I am saying before ad agencies and that guy who decided "we should tell people their life sucks if they don't buy something" people actually saved money. Now they are blowing it left and right, hence they have to work past retirement hence they have to rely on social security and drain it.

Let's face it, saving money is not in the vocabulary of the majority right now.

I am saying before ad agencies and that guy who decided "we should tell people their life sucks if they don't buy something" people actually saved money. Now they are blowing it left and right, hence they have to work past retirement hence they have to rely on social security and drain it.

Let's face it, saving money is not in the vocabulary of the majority right now.

Ad agencies didn't create stupidity.

Suggesting we censor advertising is suggesting we violate free speech...

RAWR- Its not the ads... Its the Government.

What the Government has done is sold the notion that they can take the risks out of life. (As well as the notion that risk free life is the goal, I vehemently disagree but thats another discussion).

And people have responded accordingly. Instead of counting their pennies, and saving something for a rainy day, theyve consumed like there is no tomorrow. Unfortunately, the premise is a lie. There is no real safety net provided by somebody else.... From a distance, it may look like there is, but when you hit it ass first, trust me... You'll discover that a safety net maintained by somebody else, has a lot of holes in it.

Me- I'll keep packing my own parachute. Thanks.

Truthfully, if SS was shut off tomorrow and people didn't think that parachute was there, would they actually change anything?

I'd give my left nut to be able to have my SS contributions filed into a private account I can invest at my own discretion.

Care to share what that money is being used for?

You are operating on quite a few "if"s. It's time for people to open their eyes to the reality of the situation, not what it "should be" or "could be".

Well, we've all heard of losing millions by the pallet in aid to the Middle East, money getting "lost" to dictators, etc. What I mean is "If" we can get the money to those who need it when they need it - then it is worth it. Example: Food and aid for Haitian disaster, nation building in Iraq/Afghanistan (particularly schools), and HIV/AIDs in Africa.

You bring up some good points. Personally, I think we SHOULD send money to people in need all over the world.... TRHOUGH PRIVATE CHARITY. Not by forced confiscation. And Americans, remarkably DO send such charity, in greater amounts than any other people on earth. (and guess what.... That private aid has a far higher chance of reaching the people in need, rather than governmental aid, which has to trickle down through 30 layers of corrupt government before it gets to the people)

"Nation building" is not the goal of foreign aid. You mention defense. Foreign aid and defense are linked. The idea being we can "support" a friendly regime (regardless of how ugly that regime way be, theyre on our side) and the alternative is to spend that money anyways in a war... The winner in the analysis is Foreign aid because it doesnt include the human costs of war. But as Egypt has shown, its a BAND AID. We have sunk billions of dollars supporting Sadat and Mubarik, to prevent the radicals from taking over the country, and by this time next week there will be a 50/50 chance we will be right back where we were (politically at least) in October of 73.

I agree. Look at the Gates Foundation - remarkable amounts of good being done. As far as being a band-aid and an alternative to actual war... ya - it sucks. If I had my choice I wouldn't have supported the Mujahideen, as an example, or the countless other dictators or terrorist groups we've "supported" over the years. But it's done and history hindsight is 20/20. I would like to see us no longer paying people off to avoid war. If they want to kill us or want to fight us, paying their bills will only prolong the inevitable. And I think you hit the nail on the head with Egypt.

Everyone has their example of a country/regime who shouldn't be getting US Aid. Mine is Israel. They, along with Egypt, have been major recipients of taxpayer money. I don't agree with government (in your words "forced confiscation") funding of Israel (or Egypt for that matter). Let private individuals/NGO's donate money by free will.

When I mentioned defense, I meant the defense budget. The amount we spend on defense is outrageous, and the choke-hold that the defense industries have on our congress, through lobbyists and the threatening of "lost jobs" is abhorrent. No one wants to have an ill-equipped or unprepared military, but I think there are ways to take good portions out of the defense budget without leaving soldiers unprepared and intelligence lacking. Different issue though than what we've been talking about and OT.

Sadly, I agree. I first figured out the trick of SS years ago, before the 2008 "crash." When I looked at the numbers, it didn't take long to realize that I will never see a dime of the money I'm putting in. Unfortunately, no one wants to take a crack at it. I think Obama would be open to the ideas of whatever it takes to fix it, especially with the GOP lighting a fire under his feet.

And speaking of the 2008 crisis, I watched (as many of you probably did), their retirements/IRAs/mutual funds TANK. Can't imagine what someone who was that magical age of "59.5" was going through when this all went down. I came to realize that if I want to retire at a reasonable age or ever send my kids/grandkids to college, I'll have to A) Make a lot of money B) Save a good part and C) Invest it safely and not all in one basket. Pretty obvious stuff you'd think, but people 3x my age still haven't figured it out.

And speaking of the 2008 crisis, I watched (as many of you probably did), their retirements/IRAs/mutual funds TANK. Can't imagine what someone who was that magical age of "59.5" was going through when this all went down. I came to realize that if I want to retire at a reasonable age or ever send my kids/grandkids to college, I'll have to A) Make a lot of money B) Save a good part and C) Invest it safely and not all in one basket. Pretty obvious stuff you'd think, but people 3x my age still haven't figured it out.

I think Obama is the ONLY President in recent memory who had a chance to fix social security. Two years ago... When he had huge margins in the House and Senate. He could have concentrated on SS "reform" as his legacy, and might have been able to pass a bill with a LOT of bipartisan support... He would have had a watershed moment both for the U.S. and for his legacy/presidency. And he probably would be no worse off right now politically.

But that wasnt on the agenda. He predictably went left, overplayed his agenda and added more mouths to the entitlement roles.

"But But But why would a democrat make serious reforms to Social Security???? They dont want to touch anything about it!"

Answer?: "Only Nixon could go to China."

Everyone has their example of a country/regime who shouldn't be getting US Aid. Mine is Israel.

Israel I'd rank as a bit different though because they are a liberal democracy, not a dictatorship.

So then, why are we giving them so much $?

I don't know enough about that topic, but if they need the aid from us, I would say because we have an obligation to help other liberal democracies in the world.

So then, why are we giving them so much $?

We give virtually every country on the planet foreign aid (even fcuking China gets BILLIONS from us).

Israel gets plenty of military aid and general aid from us. I can't speak to the quantity, thats not for me to speculate on what is a "proper" number.

But considering we give plenty of countries that HATE us money I am just glad we also give an ally (which is also a real democracy to boot) money as well.

But I am all for reducing all sorts of foreign aid. Right now we need to be thinking in house, because its broken.