Good bYe LP Brethren!

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Rob Burgundy
you americans are a funny mob.

Im not saying there isn't great parts of the city..but it has a reputation for being dirty.

If you told me Detroit was shit or certain parts of houston and L.A I wouldnt disagree one bit,but I would also know there are excellent parts to it too.

you just can't see the forest for the trees. ;)

Maybe not.... But I sure as shit can smell em.

The fact is, Venice, for all its history and beauty, still pumps its raw sewage into the canals... The same canals they role around town on.... And the city fcuking REEKS... It smells like my ass after a hotdog eating contest.

The whole idea of "It gets washed out to sea with the tides" may have flown 100 years ago.... Nobody is buying it anymore... It would take a Laird Hamilton size wave to clean that shit out at this point....

The Venice canals are not smelly anymore as the fines are high and laws very strict. They are not crystal blue but given the amount of vessel and pedestrian traffic that goes through there in a single day they've come a long way. A fair comparison would be to compare Grand Canal to a major US freeway as it's their only modality of transport other than walking. I agree Venice is expensive but Murano is obscene while Capri and Como are even worse.

I am learning a lot from this trip:

1. Polish ghosts aren't shy with tourists.

2. Venice is a massive real-world toilet bowl that people pay to float on.

3. A sandwich in Italy costs $40.

:icon_thumleft:

Zoo Venice is now a memory, one that I will no longer desire to see again. Twice is enough. We didn't really find the canals to smell, although the bathroom water smelled like ass. Ate at harrys bar.. Think it cost me along the lines of 400 dollars for 2 drinks, risotto and some veal dish I had. It's not that I mind paying.. But there is no value to what you are paying for. It cost us 100 euro for the taxi from the hotel to the train station lol

Just got off the train and we are into Florence staying at the Weston excelsior . Room isn't ready yet but zoo fr the lobby is great as is the location. Temps are perfect and doesn't seem too crowded. traded in 200 u.s today for 103 euro. Hope it's better here than Venice.

In Venice now.. Yesterday totally sucked ass! fcuking hot, and 5 million people everywhere. Lines for everything. Worst day of whole vacation. Staying at the The Danieli, which is supposed to be one of the best, If not the best hotels in Venice....no fcuking a/c.. So they brought me a portable a/c unit and some champagne. Seems as though everyone is trying to rip everyone off. Go to a counter to exchange dollars for euros... For 100 bucks.. Come away with 48 euro... Cause they don't tell you they charge a 20 euro commission. Sit down at a nice cafe, have an espresso , and a sandwich... 60 euros.. Cause they charge you a 20 euro music fee. Lol. Today has been better, not as hot still tons of people. Going to a place called Harrys bar, supposed to be world fAmous for something.. to be honest krakow was much more interesting, the people far nicer, the hotel better, and the food better.

I told ya...

And i hate Venice for the exact resons your described.

+1

It smells like my ass after a hotdog eating contest.

:lol2:

I payed 58 Euros for two Irish Coffes last time in Venice, and that was over 4 years ago.. After that I jumped into the F-car and headed down to Rimini, I'll don't ever think I will visit Venice again.. Place has only one "nightclub" and they only play 50 Cent..

Italy is crazy expensive just about everywhere, but man, those prices are insane. I didn't know it was that bad in Venice. fcuk that.

Florence is an awesome city, enjoy. Where else in Italy are you going?

Also, why are you exchanging money at rip-off rates? Debit card/ATM transaction fees are much smaller and you get bank rates. I also heard that Amex Centurion cards are now axing FX fees, though not sure if that is in effect yet. Current exchange rate is like .69.

As an American of southern Italian heritage (Sicily), it sure makes me smile hearing all these "wonderful" things about the north, as they certainly make no qualms about their "love" for the south. :icon_mrgreen:

I have no beef with northern Italy really, but do find it is a bit overrated. It does have its strong points for culture & history, fashion, and I know there are more cute girls per capita....BUT...

There really are no negatives to visiting some towns in Sicily. It's quieter and slower, sure....but prices aren't exorbitant, and there's no attitude.

A place like Taormina is gorgeous (honeymoon worthy)....you will definitely enjoy your visit and look forward to coming back again and again. :) :icon_thumleft:

Italy is crazy expensive just about everywhere, but man, those prices are insane. I didn't know it was that bad in Venice. fcuk that.

Also, why are you exchanging money at rip-off rates? Debit card/ATM transaction fees are much smaller and you get bank rates. I also heard that Amex Centurion cards are now axing FX fees, though not sure if that is in effect yet. Current exchange rate is like .69.

Just about every amex I have come across axes the foreign transaction fee

i assume you haven't read my second post...

No.... I read it.... Im not sure what your objection is... Aushwitz IS IN POLAND. It IS a "Polish Concentration Camp." The NAZIs had concentration camps all over western europe. Its GEOGRAPHICALLY DESCRIPTIVE.

The Poles have nothing to be ashamed of.... They were occupied... And they suffered some of the worst civilian losses of any country in the war... AND... At least they TRIED to fight the NAZIs...

I am only changing money to use for tips and just invade something pops up. Otherwise I am using my Amex (centurion)for everything, and my master card when they don't take Amex.

No.... I read it.... Im not sure what your objection is... Aushwitz IS IN POLAND. It IS a "Polish Concentration Camp." The NAZIs had concentration camps all over western europe. Its GEOGRAPHICALLY DESCRIPTIVE.

The Poles have nothing to be ashamed of.... They were occupied... And they suffered some of the worst civilian losses of any country in the war... AND... At least they TRIED to fight the NAZIs...

Honestly..so far Poland was the highlight of our trip. Even the churches and cathedrals there have been far more impressive.tomorrow I'm going to a model car store that is famous in this area. I've remembered it for 9 years since I was here last, and they were closed.

Anyone recommend any good Italian music? 9 years ago I got a cd by gianluca grignani, I lost it and was able to rebuy it today. For some reason this trip haven't heard any modern-day music.

The model car store is called dreaoni. Just watched a commercial for Ferrari world. Looks pretty cool in the commercial.

Anyone recommend any good Italian music? 9 years ago I got a cd by gianluca grignani, I lost it and was able to rebuy it today. For some reason this trip haven't heard any modern-day music.

The model car store is called dreaoni. Just watched a commercial for Ferrari world. Looks pretty cool in the commercial.

My former boss lent me a CD by Piero Pelu called "In Faccia"...a pop rock record, pretty good.

No, I believe calling it a Polish concentration camp is huge error in semantics. It's definitely not a Polish concentration camp. It's a Nazi concentration camp in Nazi occupied Poland.

That would be like saying the US embassy in France is a 'French embassy.'

Regardless -- and on a lighter note -- there is actually at least one funny story about Auschwitz. For the Monty Python fans out there:

During a lull in the audience question-and-answer session, Cleese reminisced: “What about that very, very funny thing that happened at Auschwitz?”

This prompted an anecdote about a Python tour of Germany. They arrived at a concentration camp for a private tour only to find it was closed, prompting Chapman to suggest: “Tell them we’re Jewish.”

My former boss lent me a CD by Piero Pelu called "In Faccia"...a pop rock record, pretty good.

Cool. I'll check it out.

Eros Ramazotti

Thanks dadda!

I really like his music and i think you will too. Some of his old CD's are really nice and he is extremely popular in Italy. Are in in Florence? My daughter is going to live there next year. One of my favourite cities.

I really like his music and i think you will too. Some of his old CD's are really nice and he is extremely popular in Italy. Are in in Florence? My daughter is going to live there next year. One of my favourite cities.

Yes. We are in Florence . Just had a great dinner. Is there anything you want or neednfrom here?