Countach may have saved my life

johnmh

I was on the way from Abu Dhabi to Dubai early yesterday am for a classic car meet and coffee when I was involved in this:

http://www.thenational.ae/news/uae-news/tr...-pileup-on-e-11

The road went from clear to fog almost instantly. I had to brake from highway speed, swerve from the left lane to the right shoulder and thread the needle through some damaged cars to find a spot on the right shoulder to park. I can say with certainty I would not have been able to do that in my Toyota.

The sickening thing was standing on the other side of the guard rail, shouting at people to get out of their damaged cars while you can hear the intermittent crashes as new cars pile into the back of the stopped cars. It took 2.5 hours to clear a path through the wreckage before I could leave the scene.

CT and I were unscathed. I may owe my life to my little black car.

CTinfog.jpg

wow that sounds so scary....too bad they didnt have a helicopter to get that scene down from above..must be cool to watch you avoid like in the movies lol..

glad you and the car are safe.

whew...what a relief, that could have turned out so much worse!!! These cars with a ballsy driver were meant to perform around accidents - you proved that! :icon_super:

pleased you and car are unscathed!

I must have been asked 10 times by people out of their cars 'are you ok?', followed immediately by 'is your car ok?'. My positive response to the second question earned the larger expressions of relief.

wow that sounds so scary....too bad they didnt have a helicopter to get that scene down from above..must be cool to watch you avoid like in the movies lol..

glad you and the car are safe.

I read your comment twice to make sure, but there seems to be a fault in your logic. (helicopter + dense fog with zero visibility = no chance of viewing the incident)

But also glad things went as well as they did.

Glad you are ok.

Sports cars are certainly a lot safer than your average car, brake, handle and accelerate a lot better :icon_thumleft:

whoa!

John, that car belongs in a museum :icon_mrgreen:

I drive it pretty seldom (3-4 x per year) and it lives in air conditioned comfort, usually in a carcoon on four rubber pads to avoid flat spotting the tires. So in that way it is not much different from a museum. Once my LP5000S gets completed I may send the LP400S back home to Canada. One nice thing about living here is that you do get to use much more of the car's performance (in remote locations and on clear days!) without worrying about tickets, license, insurance, prison, etc.

I drive it pretty seldom (3-4 x per year) and it lives in air conditioned comfort, usually in a carcoon on four rubber pads to avoid flat spotting the tires. So in that way it is not much different from a museum. Once my LP5000S gets completed I may send the LP400S back home to Canada. One nice thing about living here is that you do get to use much more of the car's performance (in remote locations and on clear days!) without worrying about tickets, license, insurance, prison, etc.

How are Saudi police? Or have you not encountered them whilst driving?

Fog is common as the highways is just inland from the Gulf. It is quite humid, so when the temp drops the fog can get really bad. This is not the first accident of its type on that stretch of road. Sadly, the Countach was enjoying the cool, dense, most air that morning. It would have been a great am drive if nothing had happened.

As for the authorities, they generally do not pull anyone over unless you are driving erratically, you usually get a speeding ticket based on a photo. Most photos are taken by fixed cameras, some spaced a good distance apart. No insurance companies get statistics on tickets, you only get demerit points if you are 60 km/h over the posted limit. On that road, that means blowing past a camera at 180 km/h. Even then, they do not always get your picture, especially if there are a number of cars in the photo. I enjoyed a 1am moonlit Testarossa drive back from the FIM Endurance race in Dubai a few months ago and thought I was going to get my car impounded as a result. I got very lucky with that one.

The cameras used to flash at 161 km/h, after this most recent pileup the cameras have allegedly been reset at 141 km/h. A bit of a shame actually as some cameras were far apart. You would be amazed what speeds a vintage supercar can get up to between cameras at 5am on a weekend.