question on car transport

cake

My car was picked up from Lambo Sarasota Friday afternoon. I was given a "code" and website to track GPS location. He proceeds to a few locations south and then heads across Alligator Alley into the wee hours. Next morning still in Allig Alley but I assume GPS isn't updating - maybe weak sat signals in the Everglades. He surfaces on east coast and makes stops in West Palm, Boca & Ft Lauderdale on Saturday. Then checks into Red Carpet hotel for 2 nights till this morning. Remains in Ft Lauderdale most of the day and appears to pick up a car in Deerfield Beach late this afternoon. Now appears to be heading north on I-95 (I'm in Pittsburgh PA).

They made some mistakes early on regarding dates but I can see where the confusion happened. But NOW - I was told Thursday pick up and it was Friday. I was told it's a 2 man team meaning once they start they don't have to stop (cause they can alternate and keep driving). I was told Tuesday delivery at latest (meaning today) but likely sooner (never happened). What's up with checking into a hotel for 2 nights? (I called the hotel and confirmed so it's not conjecture). This afternoon I called for an update and was told delivery is looking like Wednesday.

I know there are things they can't control - like picking up or delivering and having a client make them wait. I get all that. But at this point anything they tell me seems to be off. I'm not sure how understanding I should be - or when it becomes appropriate to raise hell. From the pics of the car being loaded (enclosed trailer) they seemed to take care to protect it. There could be up to 6 cars on the truck and I don't know where I fall in the delivery schedule.

Since this is my first experience I have nothing to compare to. Is this typical? I'm not sure what leverage I have other than not paying - but they have my car. The only upside is the weather is horrible so even when I get it I probably won't drive it until things improve. But I'd rather have it in my garage than in a truck.

Any advice is appreciated, and any suggestions on preferred carriers is appreciated. I'll be transporting the car to future events. I did search the forums and came up with a few (select1, NTT and SSC). I don't mind paying for exceptional service as long as I receive it. This company was recommended by a trusted source (so much for that).

Off topic - you guys are hilarious! Enjoying the humor! The range of the threads from American Idol opinions to aftermarket mods and everything in between is amazing. thanks!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, first off..not paying is not an option, they just wont unload your car..

I have been doing this for many years now..and I have come to two conclusions when it comes to truckers and delivery

1) Add 5 days to what ever they tell you for delivery date.

2) If I got a dollar for every trucker that was not on time...I would not have to ever sell a single car again and could retire

What Roy said. I have worked with a smaller company on moving many cars and after watching him try and deliver cars across the country I have a greater respect for these poor bastards that drive for a living. I have seen the same thing with bigger companies.

Think about this: They try and maximize cars on the truck because that is money. So, say you go to say Florida to pick up a car going to New York and only have 4 cars on the truck. This is after a run to Texas. Then your best customer (who happens to be along the route you are on) calls and says, I have a car that will be ready to go in the morning do you have room? Sure, you have room but it puts you behind a day. Customer says, I can throw in a few hundred extra bucks if you can wait. Fuel costs alone to come back down would be a couple hundred bucks. Then you have toll roads and insurance and permits and wear and tear on your rig. So you hole up in a hotel. Go to pick up the car the next day and find they blew a radiator hose testing on the dyno, so you can either stay and wait for the part, or take off and piss off your best customer and have to come back. Your dispatcher tells you that since fuel has gone up 30% in the last month that you better just wait it out because they don't have any other trucks going that direction for a month. So you wait it out and your dispatcher makes up bs to the other customers to cover for you. So what was on time, becomes two days late.

This is just the way the business runs. It sucks but unless you can pay for a performance guarantee you are out of luck. The most important thing for me with shipping is that you have a guy that will take care of your car. I have seen some scary stuff going on with many transport companies.

It does suck that you have to wait for your baby, but I would try not to be too upset about it.

Take my word for it when I say -

ALL will be forgiven when you do your first WOT 1-2 shift in Corsa mode...

:)

My car was supposed to come yesterday (Sunday) and it came Tuesday of last week. I called Tuesday for an update and they said first thing Wednesday morning it'd be at my place, which was surprising to hear. Then they call back <5 minutes later and say it's already here where can we meet you? Exotic Car Transport in Orlando, FL...highly recommended.

Thanks all for the replies/comments/advice. It helps put it in perspective. I developed tremendous patience around this process which started on Feb 1 with my test drive, and then on Feb 24 when I bought the car. There have been a series of delays - some with the dealer (not their fault - parts from Italy took forever) and now the carrier. It feels like a REALLY long time to wait for a car but I completely believe all WILL be forgiven with the first WOT 1-2 shift in Corsa. CAN'T WAIT!!!

It's a good thing the weather is horrible or I'd REALLY be going crazy. At least I'm not missing great driving days.

As a distraction last night I went onto the MB site and "built" a CL550 4matic in diamond white (a friend has one in platinum black). I think those are gorgeous sexy cars. Had to take the SL55AMG in this morning for service. After dropping at service - walked into the showroom to say hi to the guys. What is sitting there? A CL550 4matic in Diamond White - loaded the way I built it. Took it for a test drive. It's now in the garage for a few days as we decide whether it's a "keeper" (we are thinking about "rationalizing" the fleet - space issues).

Thank goodness for distractions!!!

My car was picked up from Lambo Sarasota Friday afternoon. I was given a "code" and website to track GPS location. He proceeds to a few locations south and then heads across Alligator Alley into the wee hours. Next morning still in Allig Alley but I assume GPS isn't updating - maybe weak sat signals in the Everglades. He surfaces on east coast and makes stops in West Palm, Boca & Ft Lauderdale on Saturday. Then checks into Red Carpet hotel for 2 nights till this morning. Remains in Ft Lauderdale most of the day and appears to pick up a car in Deerfield Beach late this afternoon. Now appears to be heading north on I-95 (I'm in Pittsburgh PA).

They made some mistakes early on regarding dates but I can see where the confusion happened. But NOW - I was told Thursday pick up and it was Friday. I was told it's a 2 man team meaning once they start they don't have to stop (cause they can alternate and keep driving). I was told Tuesday delivery at latest (meaning today) but likely sooner (never happened). What's up with checking into a hotel for 2 nights? (I called the hotel and confirmed so it's not conjecture). This afternoon I called for an update and was told delivery is looking like Wednesday.

I know there are things they can't control - like picking up or delivering and having a client make them wait. I get all that. But at this point anything they tell me seems to be off. I'm not sure how understanding I should be - or when it becomes appropriate to raise hell. From the pics of the car being loaded (enclosed trailer) they seemed to take care to protect it. There could be up to 6 cars on the truck and I don't know where I fall in the delivery schedule.

Since this is my first experience I have nothing to compare to. Is this typical? I'm not sure what leverage I have other than not paying - but they have my car. The only upside is the weather is horrible so even when I get it I probably won't drive it until things improve. But I'd rather have it in my garage than in a truck.

Any advice is appreciated, and any suggestions on preferred carriers is appreciated. I'll be transporting the car to future events. I did search the forums and came up with a few (select1, NTT and SSC). I don't mind paying for exceptional service as long as I receive it. This company was recommended by a trusted source (so much for that).

Off topic - you guys are hilarious! Enjoying the humor! The range of the threads from American Idol opinions to aftermarket mods and everything in between is amazing. thanks!

Up until a few years ago I always used a private carrier that had a 2 place enclosed trailer. Always on time, always fast but they went under due tothe bad times. I've been using reliable carriers since then and have used them several times and they are all about the same when it comes to delivery times and pick ups. It depends on where your car is getting picked up, where its going and what needs to get loaded and unloaded in between where your car got picked up and where its getting dropped off. I would bet the reason they stayed 2 night in that hotel is because they were waiting for a pick up to be ready before going the rest of the way without a fully loaded truck. Reliable also has hubs. One is here in Phoenix which nice when I need a car picked up. The others are in L.A. and I think Detroit, maybe one more. Sometimes going across the country your car will actually get unloaded and transferred onto another truck if going through one of the hubs. I have a place in Rochester, NY that I go to for the summer and getting the car there from Phoenix is a piece of cake. Getting it picked up to come back here at the end of the summer took almost 3 weeks from the time I called for pick up, and then another week and half to get to phoenix, all because nothing really goes in and out of Rochester so until they got a truck going by there, my car wasn't moving. I'd say you did ok all things considering....... :icon_thumleft:

I had a disaster with a certain well known carrier and I will never forget THEM. Pm me as I am curious if your nightmares are with the same company?

My comfort level was increasing with everyone's comments until checked GPS and saw this:

Tracking Number: XXXXX

Current as of: 2011-04-05Last location: 1 Minutes ago

LOL! I'm sure they were just dropping or picking up but when I saw the OVAL on the map my heart stopped for a moment :)

My comfort level was increasing with everyone's comments until checked GPS and saw this:

Tracking Number: XXXXX

Current as of: 2011-04-05Last location: 1 Minutes ago

LOL! I'm sure they were just dropping or picking up but when I saw the OVAL on the map my heart stopped for a moment :)

Interesting....I was just on their live webcam, and I saw this...

NC_Track.JPG

A couple of suggestions:

1: Stop following the progress on GPS ( it's just going to make you nuts)

2: Clean the garage a couple of times ( sort of like preparing a nursery for a baby, not to sound chauvanistic, I did it as well)

3: Get some sleep, you know damn well your car is going to show up at 3:00 AM.

4: Buy gifts for the neighbors. ( see #3) The driver is going to rev the engine in the enclosed traler for 5 minutes minimum.

5: Count your blessings. The weather here in the Northeaset is supposed to be crappy all week. The weekend is looking terrific!

In a few months from now this will all be forgotten. Enjoy the car in good health!

A couple of suggestions:

1: Stop following the progress on GPS ( it's just going to make you nuts)

2: Clean the garage a couple of times ( sort of like preparing a nursery for a baby, not to sound chauvanistic, I did it as well)

3: Get some sleep, you know damn well your car is going to show up at 3:00 AM.

4: Buy gifts for the neighbors. ( see #3) The driver is going to rev the engine in the enclosed traler for 5 minutes minimum.

5: Count your blessings. The weather here in the Northeaset is supposed to be crappy all week. The weekend is looking terrific!

In a few months from now this will all be forgotten. Enjoy the car in good health!

1. trying - having trouble

2. not chauvanistic at all - we don't have kids but got the house ready when we got our dog - does that count? I keep cleaning & rearranging garage (can't overdo) - we're ready!!!

3. see #1

4. great idea :)

5. I do every day! I'm very lucky and I try never to forget that! :icon_thumleft: :

Thanks for the great advice and laughs.

Interesting....I was just on their live webcam, and I saw this...

OK - you reeled me in....I tried to find a live webcam but no luck.

Is this a joke? Photoshop? Old track photo?

PLEEEEAZZZE tell me you're kidding!

The upside to all this - I can cut back on cardio this week cause my heart rate seems permanently elevated :)

OK - you reeled me in....I tried to find a live webcam but no luck.

Is this a joke? Photoshop? Old track photo?

PLEEEEAZZZE tell me you're kidding!

The upside to all this - I can cut back on cardio this week cause my heart rate seems permanently elevated :)

APRIL FOOLS!!! :icon_mrgreen: :icon_butt:

Welcome to LP!!!

it would do a lot of these auto transporters some good to read these threads....they can see just how significant THEIR participation in the acquisition of these cars we all love so much is.

A little customer service would go a LONG way, instead of just crapping all over customers and focusing on profits and exhibiting that bad attitude they are so well known for.

hope it ends well for you :)

One of my dealer buddies had a car picked up by a company just recently. 200 mile 458 Italia. They got halfway back from California to Florida and decided to do some "hot laps" in the car. It arrived with 90 miles more than the bill of lading from the pickup. That didn't go over too well. I use various shippers now. I have had some let downs, nothing along the lines that you are experiencing, but I have always been fortunate. Mang had a bad deal with one of the guys that I deal with. That guy has always been pretty good for me until recently when he held a guys car hostage over 150 bucks from quote to arrival price. Got sorted but had to chase it for a while to get the money back.

Shipping is an enigma that cannot be understood. Husband/wife teams or team driver's are the biggest misconception. Most often, on the team, they only have one driver with a CDL. They can only log 10 hours at a stint. Not sure what the downtime is. When I am shipping a clients car I pretty much only use one of three shippers on the East coast to the Mississippi and two companies that go out West. Sorry to hear about your situation. It sucks. I would be curious to know who you used. Doesn't have to be public, but if it is someone that I know, I would like to know going forward that they are having "problems"...

For the record, I use Reliable Carriers, Applewood Transport (my absolute favorite, but only operates East Coast and sometimes goes to Texas as they are authorized shipper from Port to Dealer for Lamborghini and Lotus), I use Exotic Transport out of Orlando and have also used JP Logistics as well and had no problems.

Guess you should have flown down and drove it back just like I did with mine recently!!! Haha. Sorry to hear of your issues but I am sure it will be worth the wait!

:lol2: LOL that was just mean Mike! :lol2:

...I'm pretty much still pissed about that and it happened 3 years ago. I have had a GREAT experience since with someone else, so there are those that care and deserve some praise too :)

My first experience with a shipper was bad. I used DAS from NY to Oregon in 2006 when I bought my car. The car came enclosed, but I was told it would go through several hubs to save money. It might sit for a couple days between legs in order to have enough cars for a full load. There was a car cover in the trunk and the sales reps said it would be in place when the car was parked between trips.

The DAS tracking did not work. My car arrived several days early when their tracking web site said it was just outside Chicago. I was picking it up from the shipping yard to save money. I was completely unprepared, the yard it arrived at was a dumpy repo place. A bunch of rude tow truck drivers ran the place. They bitched me out for the fact my car would not start and they threatened to charge me a non-running fee. They charged me by the day to hold it, because I was unable to get there during their business hours the first day. The car was caked in dirt. Weeks in a gravel parking lot style dirt. Hard to tell the color of the car dirt. My side mirror was knocked loose. Story goes on. I think what was happening was a company had set up great customer service center and a strong internet presence. Pretty sure they sub contracted all of the actual shipping to tow yards and small shippers all across the country. I learned my lesson about trying to save a few bucks on shipping. I got enclosed shipping coast to coast, but I have no idea what that car actually went through.

My last experience was with Plycar. The trip went well, but my car changed trucks at least once. When they would show up for pickup or drop off was always vague. I was in steady phone contact, so I got a few odd details I would not normally get. They were coming down from Canada and picking my car up before going to the Tesla factory to take a load to NY. They got stuck at the border because they tried to cross the day after the winter Olympics ended. It took them 8 hours to clear customs. They were honest about the fact they were picking up and dropping off all the time. My car almost was not ready in time for the return trip. I think they delayed the pickup by a day to give Evans time to finish. Then they begged to be able to pick it up at night instead so they could keep things moving on their end. The thing I liked about them was that they called me a lot and I always knew what was going on.

I guess I am just trying to reinforce the fact that what you are going through is pretty normal. Most of the shipping stories I hear are similar to yours. The trucks are wandering around the country picking up and dropping off cars. Delays are occurring all the time. Every pick-up and drop off has a story and potential for delays. As long as your car shows up within a few days of what they told you, and it is unmolested, consider it a success.

First off, congrats on the car. Second, you've got a lambo on the way so life is good. Just be glad your not using these guys.

Post pics when she arrives.

Most recently, I used Reliable Carriers enclosed transport to get mine from Phoenix, AZ to Atlanta, GA. The driver was a true car enthusiast and personally had a race car he was working on as well as an 800whp '03 Cobra. He was a gearhead, and he would call me regularly from his cell phone just to update me about where he was, pulling a long day to get my car there on a nice Sunday afternoon instead of the following Monday it was scheduled for, etc. I can't speak for all of their drivers, but Gerald was the man! I would definitely use them again and will request him if they allow it/it fits his route. He was very professional and seemed equally excited to deliver the car to me as I was to get it...