Martin Bartek, Owner of Matech Racing 1967-2011 RIP

peakcompletions

I received a stunning phone message yesterday about my friend, Martin Bartek who had passed away this week.

This is absoultely heart wrenching in that he has two young children and a loving wife.

You will be missed my friend. Prayers sent for your family. RIP

56965935.jpg

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/gt-...ek-passes-away/

Matech Concepts founder and team principal Martin Bartek died suddenly on Wednesday. The Swiss businessman, turned racer and team owner, was only 44.

Bartek founded Matech Concepts, a Swiss-based GT constructor in 2006, which designed and built the GT3-spec Ford GT. After storming onto the FIA GT3 European Championship scene in 2007, Bartek drove in select races before focusing his efforts on the management side of the business.

Under Bartek’s leadership, Matech quickly grew into one of the leading European GT constructors, having been the first to have developed a new-generation GT1 car for the FIA GT1 World Championship and creation of a GTE-spec Ford GT for customers.

The 2010 season saw Matech Competition field Ford GTs in both the FIA GT1 World Championship and 24 Hours of Le Mans, where the legendary Blue Oval made a triumphant return to La Sarthe.

Despite Thomas Mutsch finishing runner-up in the GT1 drivers’ championship, Matech Competition closed its doors at the end of the year. Efforts to sell the team never materialized.

Ford GTs, however, continue to be entered in the GT1 World Championship and various GT3 championships worldwide, with Matech Concepts still providing technical support.

“Martin played a major role in the FIA GT3 European and GT1 World Championships. We have lost a friend,” said SRO Motorsports Group CEO and founder Stephane Ratel in a statement.

Martin is survived by his wife Esther and two children, Audrey and Nikola.

Further details of Martin’s sudden passing have not yet been released.

:( RIP and condolences to his family. I wish them the best of luck making it through this difficult time.

RIP

I heard this earlier, way too young! As Fortis said, live every day to the fullest, you just never know. :(

RIP! I was just on Matech's site the other day trying to see how the GT1 championship was going for them. I'll see what I can find out - i'm in contact with Steve Nesta, their official photographer on a regular basis.