Anyone else annoyed by the "What do you do for a living" question??

fast1

Dude, you should try replying with your LP motto!!

I'll give it a try sometime :icon_thumleft:

I tell them to go fcuk themselves and their mothers too and if they don't like that answer they can log onto LamboPower and find me there and I go by the name BrianWilsonUK.

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

I'm dying here :icon_mrgreen:

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So, haven't driven the car since the other day, and I had my daughter last night. She loves the lambo, so I wanted to take her in this morning. I walk in with her to drop her off, come back out to hop in the car (without making eye contact with anyone) and a guy yells from across the parking lot, "Hey! What do you do for a living?" I swear, word for word...I seriously started laughing thinking back to this thread. Of all the things he could have yelled first to start out getting my attention like something about the car perhaps, nope, straight to the title of this thread.

Good times...

So, haven't driven the car since the other day, and I had my daughter last night. She loves the lambo, so I wanted to take her in this morning. I walk in with her to drop her off, come back out to hop in the car (without making eye contact with anyone) and a guy yells from across the parking lot, "Hey! What do you do for a living?" I swear, word for word...I seriously started laughing thinking back to this thread. Of all the things he could have yelled first to start out getting my attention like something about the car perhaps, nope, straight to the title of this thread.

Good times...

Well, what did you reply?

let me guess....BREATHE :icon_mrgreen:

Haha I wear hearing aids at the ripe old age of 28 so I can always just pretend I didn't hear the question :)

or you could step out of a super loud Lambo and go "SORRY MAN!! YOU MIGHT HAVE TO SPEAK UP..I AM DEAF"

Well I was already laughing (of course he didn't understand why), so I just yelled back while laughing, "whatever pays the bills these days man" as I was getting in the car. He just kind of laughed and gave a thumbs up. That one was an easy one though because I was already reaching for the door and getting in, so I just kept moving along. It's the ones when you're getting out or doing something stationary like pumping gas when they corner you lol.

going to the gas station always takes 15 minutes or more, But i'm expecting it so it makes it easy to deal with. everyone so far has been nice, so i'm nice. of course i am one of those leisure drivers, not a Gallardo owner that can drive every day. I say just try to be patient and represent the mark well. Aren't too many other exotic car owners dicks to people that don't own them and over the years look at the stigma attached to some of the brands. we don't want Lamborghini to be perceived that way.

I understand that it must get annoying, but some of the snobbery in this thread is a little worrying... "Don't make eye contact"... heaven forbid you must interact with the "plebs". I mean, if you don't want attention, don't drive a Lamborghini. Drive a Buick. Having "gawkers" and "interrogators" is sort of inherent in buying this sort of thing...

Bear in mind I do understand that most people are absolutely balls out retarded and that you're bound to be questioned on some ridiculous shit. But potentially brushing off someone who actually knows cars and is intelligent and polite makes you look ignorant and does nothing more than perpetuate "asshole rich guy" stereotypes that most of you seem to want to get away from in the first place...

let me guess....BREATHE :icon_mrgreen:

or you could step out of a super loud Lambo and go "SORRY MAN!! YOU MIGHT HAVE TO SPEAK UP..I AM DEAF"

Haha that's the excuse I use if someone tries to talk to me while driving with the windows down!

I gotta disagree here. Unless I've skipped over a few posts I think the guys mean by not making eye contact is that your not engaging with anyone. It's not that you think your so above anyone else that you can't stand to look at them. You just dont want to increase the amount of attention your bringing to yourself. Personally, I dont drive a Lambo because I want attention, I drive it because I love the way it looks and sounds, For me, period. Yes it is outrageous, and the way people react is their choice. However I won't be at the gas station making eye contact with people simply because I don't want to increase the chances of someone making a positive or negative comment. I'm not driving it for them, so why should I be looking to get into a conversation with them?

I understand that it must get annoying, but some of the snobbery in this thread is a little worrying... "Don't make eye contact"... heaven forbid you must interact with the "plebs". I mean, if you don't want attention, don't drive a Lamborghini. Drive a Buick. Having "gawkers" and "interrogators" is sort of inherent in buying this sort of thing...

Bear in mind I do understand that most people are absolutely balls out retarded and that you're bound to be questioned on some ridiculous shit. But potentially brushing off someone who actually knows cars and is intelligent and polite makes you look ignorant and does nothing more than perpetuate "asshole rich guy" stereotypes that most of you seem to want to get away from in the first place...

I gotta disagree here. Unless I've skipped over a few posts I think the guys mean by not making eye contact is that your not engaging with anyone. It's not that you think your so above anyone else that you can't stand to look at them. You just dont want to increase the amount of attention your bringing to yourself. Personally, I dont drive a Lambo because I want attention, I drive it because I love the way it looks and sounds, For me, period. Yes it is outrageous, and the way people react is their choice. However I won't be at the gas station making eye contact with people simply because I don't want to increase the chances of someone making a positive or negative comment. I'm not driving it for them, so why should I be looking to get into a conversation with them?

I agree totally with what you're saying. In making your purchase you didn't sign a contract binding you to some social arrangement with the public. I get it. It's just how the OP of that quote sounded.

Nothing is wrong with buying an outrageous car and not wanting to talk about it... all I'm saying is, to think people are going to leave you alone when you drive a Lambo is a little naive, and you should just be prepared for it :)

It's basic psychology.

The questioner doesn't REALLY care what you answer...they don't REALLY care to know exactly how much the car costs. They just want to hold your attention in conversation. It's like talking to a supermodel. You know you have no chance, but you need SOMETHING to talk about right? They just want to have a story to tell their friends..."dude, so i saw this lambo at the gas station today blah blah blah."

My advice would be to come up with some clever one-liners that aren't derisive. Some good examples were shared earlier.

I think that's basically it. The pearl yellow Murci got TONS of attention on the road. When I stopped for gas people usually were very nice and excited by the car the same way I used to be before I was able to afford one.

When someone asks me, "What do you do for a living?" I usually say, "I work a McDonald's or I'm a hitman." Depending on my mood.

When someone asks me, "How fast have you gotten it up to?" I say, " As fast as it gets me up to the speed limit"

Keep in mind that I'm 23 and I answer all questions with a straight face.

So which sites do you run to able to buy those cars? Haha just kidding :D Judging by your name, you've made your money the same way as me ;)

And what snobbery are we talking about? Owning an exotic does not make you public property. Some guys buy the cars for what they represent while others just like to own nice cars.

I agree it does not hurt to be nice to people and i will not go out of my way to be nasty to anyone but why do i have to answer questions from a total stranger ? I don't know him/her, i don't want to know them and they are not my friends.

Why am i a snob or a jerk for not catering to everyone's inquiries when i am minding my own business . It takes balls in the first place to go to a stranger and ask them a whole bunch of personal questions and one has no right to be offended when the stranger refuses to answer the questions.

Just because you ask does not mean you are entitled to an answer. It is actually none of their business.

"Oh this? This isn't mine, this is a loaner while my car is in the shop..."

:lol2:

Has anyone resorted to telling people that their Lambo is their dad's? That's what I would do.

And what snobbery are we talking about? Owning an exotic does not make you public property. Some guys buy the cars for what they represent while others just like to own nice cars.

I agree it does not hurt to be nice to people and i will not go out of my way to be nasty to anyone but why do i have to answer questions from a total stranger ? I don't know him/her, i don't want to know them and they are not my friends.

Why am i a snob or a jerk for not catering to everyone's inquiries when i am minding my own business . It takes balls in the first place to go to a stranger and ask them a whole bunch of personal questions and one has no right to be offended when the stranger refuses to answer the questions.

Just because you ask does not mean you are entitled to an answer. It is actually none of their business.

And I'm agreeing with you, as I mentioned in my earlier reply to gLA. You have no obligation to respond to someone. You're at liberty to do as you please, but ignoring someone complimenting your car or asking a harmless question still comes across as rude to me.

And I was more casually referring to engagement in the general sense, not specific questions like "what do you do?", "how much do you make?", etc. which are obviously unwarranted and impolite in the first place.

I just tell everyone to fcuk off.. I see them walking over getting ready to say something.. I hitnthem with fcuk off... And theynturn around and walk the other way.

All the attention Lambos get actually makes the experience less enjoyable for me. They are badass cars, so I deal with it....for awhile. I then will sell it and end up missing the car. I have never, and would never go up to a random person in a random location and start asking them questions about their car. Just like I would never go knock on the door of a stranger who has an expensive house and start asking them questions. I am never nasty with anyone, usually pretty nice, but short and direct to keep the conversation to a minimum. I tend to mind the attention less when someone else is in the car with me. That way I can just direct all annoying questions their way. :P

Also hit them back with the same questions.

"What do you do for a living?"

"Programmer, what about you?"

"How much is that car? About 250k, how much did you pay for yours?"

Also hit them back with the same questions.

"What do you do for a living?"

"Programmer, what about you?"

"How much is that car? About 250k, how much did you pay for yours?"

What does your minivan run in a quarter mile?

I have always been a fan of exotic cars, since a young age. With that said, I have never once asked an owner out and about what they do for a living or the other silly questions. That is not a behavior I learned specifically. I guess you could just call it common respect. Respect the owner, respect the car.

Also, I never had to learn how to behave at car shows or around exotics - I just knew. Arms and hands behind the back, stay a good couple feet away from the car itself and observe. You will see me to this day around exotics with the same respect. Just because I'm around them a lot more now doesn't change that.

If I want to know about the car, there is this great tool called the internet to research, as well as books and magazines. I know that these cars attract a lot of attention and that owners will get tired of it. I still get excited to see these cars and will usually offer a smile and thumbs up, or if I say anything it is calmly to the tune of "Beautiful [insert car make and/or model here], sir." - that's it.

I can read the owner and determine whether to offer a verbal vs. nonverbal acknowledgement or to simply observe the car from where I am.