Fuck da police!

abolfaz

It's more appropriate in this thread...

yeah, but I posted about it in there, and we've got a bunch of posts on it... Might deserve its own thread....

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

http://www.aclu.org/free-speech/know-your-...s-photographers

Police officers may legitimately order citizens to cease activities that are truly interfering with legitimate law enforcement operations.

-Professional officers, however, realize that such operations are subject to public scrutiny, including by citizens photographing them.

If you are stopped or detained for taking photographs:

-Always remain polite and never physically resist a police officer.

-If stopped for photography, the right question to ask is, "am I free to go?" If the officer says no, then you are being detained, something that under the law an officer cannot do without reasonable suspicion that you have or are about to commit a crime or are in the process of doing so. Until you ask to leave, your being stopped is considered voluntary under the law and is legal.

-If you are detained, politely ask what crime you are suspected of committing, and remind the officer that taking photographs is your right under the First Amendment and does not constitute reasonable suspicion of criminal activity.

you may want to read that again. the ruling said it is UNconstitutional.

I apologize for the confusion. I know what it said was unconstitutional and I was very excited about that. I posted in a hurry and misspelled but I was posting it because that's awesome news! Thanks.

I watched the whole thing front to back while working. It made me ill. Makes me want to take up the torch on this one and see what happens.

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry but i don't understand that video... those policeman are just there doing their jobs (hell some of them could even be on the hippie free-handout side if they were off duty). A single unarmed civilian isn't much but hundreds/thousands with whatever crap they can get their hands on can turn pretty dangerous in a moments notice. There are absolute safety reasons involved with small amounts of force being used to subdue a large crowd.

Sorry but i don't understand that video... those policeman are just there doing their jobs (hell some of them could even be on the hippie free-handout side if they were off duty). A single unarmed civilian isn't much but hundreds/thousands with whatever crap they can get their hands on can turn pretty dangerous in a moments notice. There are absolute safety reasons involved with small amounts of force being used to subdue a large crowd.

:iamwithstupid:

All I see is one guy ranting like a fcuking lunatic, and a bunch of very calm police asking him to keep moving.... The police want the crowds to keep moving.... The crowd is on a sidewalk. If they DON'T keep moving, they are "LOITERING" and preventing legitimate customers from accessing the businesses.... You cant do that. Your right to free speech ends when you're violating my right to run my business.

• 1 month later...

Like all walks of life, some good, some bad. One would hope there are no bad cops, but that's asking for too much. More INDEPENDENT oversight is needed of our police forces.

Like all walks of life, some good, some bad. One would hope there are no bad cops, but that's asking for too much. More INDEPENDENT oversight is needed of our police forces.

I would ad to that better and RECURRING training, especially in what to do when law abiding citizens lawfully say "NO." Police are trained from day 1 in the academy to take control of a situation and to meet resistance with force, and to cajole, intimidate and manipulate people into complying with their orders even when those orders are legally just "suggestions".

• 3 weeks later...