Canton, Ohio Cop Goes Beserk!

Gilligan740

This video should be relevant to those of you with concealed weapons permits, particularly in states like Ohio where you are required by law to immediately notify a law enforcement officer of your armed status when stopped.

Synopsis: A lawfully armed citizen is stopped by the Canton Police Department for sitting in a parked car in a roadway. He is spotted with some shady characters who are detained/arrested. He is left in his car for about five minutes while the cops search the back seat area of his car. They do not speak to him directly until 5 minutes into the encounter and he immediately attempts to declare his armed status. He is interrupted and bullied until he can finally deliver his disclosure. One of the two cops goes NUTS and eventually tells him that he should execute him.

Note: Skip to about 5:00 in the video if you want to see the interaction with the permit holder. Keep in mind, he was not addressed prior to this point.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

P.S. I meant to type "Berserk" but I was too pissed off at this cop to focus! Can a mod change the thread title? Thanks.

I was pulled over last month but haven't posted about it due to it being an ongoing case. All I will say right now is I handed the officer my card and he TURNED HIS BACK and walked away. When he walked back by me I told him that I handed him a carry permit and I was carrying...he told me to keep my hands where he could see him and then he TURNED HIS BACK again. Some officers are very sensitive and others don't even think about it.

More about the traffic stop at a later date. Trust me its a good one!

I was pulled over last month but haven't posted about it due to it being an ongoing case. All I will say right now is I handed the officer my card and he TURNED HIS BACK and walked away. When he walked back by me I told him that I handed him a carry permit and I was carrying...he told me to keep my hands where he could see him and then he TURNED HIS BACK again. Some officers are very sensitive and others don't even think about it.

More about the traffic stop at a later date. Trust me its a good one!

One of the things that struck me about this video is the complete disregard for officer safety BY THE OFFICERS! They leave a guy in the car while they search the backseat? I'm not a cop but I KNOW that isn't protocol.

One of the things that struck me about this video is the complete disregard for officer safety BY THE OFFICERS! They leave a guy in the car while they search the backseat? I'm not a cop but I KNOW that isn't protocol.

No, everyone gets out of the car for vehicle searches.

They are both stupid, and the cop being a dick should be fired. They are public "servants". The cop is acting like he is a marine and discovered a terrorist threat.

Guy was sitting there with some shady individuals. There is nothing illegal about that. They didn't follow protocol which put them in danger. They shouldn't have a gun and shouldn't be cops.

Cop with anger issues was crawling around in the back seat with his back to two shady suspects outside the car, and a driver sitting in the front seat inches away who has not even been addressed at all. Holy shit, who's the idiot?

This video should be relevant to those of you with concealed weapons permits, particularly in states like Ohio where you are required by law to immediately notify a law enforcement officer of your armed status when stopped.

Synopsis: A lawfully armed citizen is stopped by the Canton Police Department for sitting in a parked car in a roadway. He is spotted with some shady characters who are detained/arrested. He is left in his car for about five minutes while the cops search the back seat area of his car. They do not speak to him directly until 5 minutes into the encounter and he immediately attempts to declare his armed status. He is interrupted and bullied until he can finally deliver his disclosure. One of the two cops goes NUTS and eventually tells him that he should execute him.

Note: Skip to about 5:00 in the video if you want to see the interaction with the permit holder. Keep in mind, he was not addressed prior to this point.

That cop has some serious fcuking problems.

(the CCW holder should lose his license as well.... But not for failing to inform.... For picking up the hooker).

BTW... If I were the CCXW holder, I would consider filing for a Restraining order based on the threats the cop made.... TRO= NO GUNS= NO JOB

Cops = major disconnect from the rest of us...

I avoid them as much as possible :D

why are most American cops always so pissed off and mad? lol its funny to watch them so angry EVERYTIME....angry people should never be given a gun..they'll go crazy and start using it on anything!

Very true.

They need an attitude adjustment from the beginning when they are cadets.

They need to realize that their job is to serve and protect. It is as simple as that. If they are yelling and cursing at someone who is of no threat and is following all instructions, they should be fired. Plain and simple. No unions getting involved, no media coverage talking about how great of a cop they are. Do not pass go, do not collect $200, straight to the welfare line.

Should the guy have done a better job, and read through the don't talk lines, and told him he had a weapon ON HIM sure. But no need to be a huge prick with someone who is cooperating.

That " Us vs. them" mentality is spot-on. It doesn't work and it doesn't help with "community policing..." A bullshit term if I've ever heard it.

Oh Great and that is in Ohio, where I live and have a CCP.

I actually would make it my mission in life to ensure he did nothing but sweep floors the rest of his career.

The holder of the CCP, should have just shouted it out even if told not to talk. So he should loose his license.

But to be threatened with both a Beating with his billy club and DEATH by putting 10 rounds and dropping him, and also Harassment (told he would pull his car over and put him in Jail every time he sees that car in the future).

I would spend my life savings to ensure that this type of behavior didn't happen again - that is uncalled for no matter the situation.

On the flip side, I have been pulled over (more than I like to even count) - I have never had an issue as a CCP holder, as a matter of fact I think the police actually respect it. Of course I am not going around picking up hookers and pimps either, as with this individual.

Update: The cop is on leave pending an investigation. Canton Rep news story here.

I would take odds that that officer will not be carrying a badge any longer...

Thanks for bringing this to the further attention, especially those of us in Ohio with a CCW permit! I know situations like this are not the norm but this video is disturbing and shocking. Honestly, it scared the hell out of me in regards to having to notify again if I ever need to do so.

I have been stopped once each by the Ohio State Patrol and local police in a small municipality for speeding since I obtained my CCW permit in 2008, and had pleasant experiences with each case. The local police officer even thought enough to thank me for going to get my CCW permit. Of course in my instance the stops were conducted in a much better, not to mention less heated, manner and it was the first thing out of my mouth.

I do feel that there is a lot of gray area with the notification of a CCW permit in Ohio and it's hard to nail down any exact time frame or proper duty is difficult, but this officer took things way over the line. He needs a serious psych evaluation. Justifying in his mind the execution of the driver for "being stupid". And telling the female he'll "put lumps on her" if he sees her around again? :confused:

Here's a nice cop:

http://www.break.com/index/one-good-cop-2086255

Should've been more like this!

That cop's attitude was exactly what I would hope for from any officer stopping me. The only problem is that I STRONGLY disagree with the disarming of a law-abiding citizen during a "routine" stop. Any unnecessary handling of the firearm can lead to negligent discharges, miscommunication, etc. To me, it only introduces additional risk for everyone involved.

roid?... as in hemorrhoid? :icon_mrgreen:

There is something for that... PREPARATION H!

I can't watch any more. Where do they get these cops from?

I got a failure to notify charge once. Thank God the cop had his microphone on, and somehow the mic picked it up at the beginning of the stop. But the cop tried to ignore my words.

Got thrown out, but not before felony charge was pointed at my head.

Never has made sense why cops freak the hell out about concealed carry holders. We're vetted.

--joe