Today is the Day! Start juicing!

Allan-Herbie

The first 3-5 lbs you lose are the easiest because it's mainly just stored carbohydrates (glycogen) + water. Little of it is fat. Once you return to a normal diet you'll gain it back within a few days.

Besides dieting, you should do cardio (both low impact and high impact). Once exercise becomes a habit, it'll become a routine in your life. I used to hate it but now if I skip a day, I feel like I'm missing something. I used to work out 0-2 hrs per week; now, 6-7 hrs and it doesn't even feel like a chore anymore.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The first 3-5 lbs you lose are the easiest because it's mainly just stored carbohydrates (glycogen) + water. Little of it is fat. Once you return to a normal diet you'll gain it back within a few days.

Besides dieting, you should do cardio (both low impact and high impact). Once exercise becomes a habit, it'll become a routine in your life. I used to hate it but now if I skip a day, I feel like I'm missing something. I used to work out 0-2 hrs per week; now, 6-7 hrs and it doesn't even feel like a chore anymore.

This.

Haha. I thought Allan was joking about steroids at first. Not familiar with the juicing diet. I will say that I think different things work for different people. For instance the whole not eating after 7-8 pm....last week after eating healthy all week I ordered two meals from Outback (bacon cheeseburger and fries and chicken quesadillas) and ate pretty much all of it and was a couple pounds lighter in the morning without taking a crap. I actually eat late often and it seems to have the opposite effect that everyone mentions.

Guys, another thing to remember - You should take pictures and/or measurements to truly track your progress. The water weight for a grown male can easily shift 7 lbs a day, and will mess with your head, especially if you were expecting to track your progress by jumping on the scale daily.

PS...for those of you just starting, think twice about farting, it may not be just air :shit: :lol2:

Megasquirt!

As soon as you stop the diet watch how you balloon up!

What you are doing is depriving your body of what it actually requires you to intake a good balance. As soon as you deny it that balance and you even get so close to smell it again and WWWWWWWAaaaaaampha.

So true.

That's why "veggie juice diets" are good for a few pounds over a short duration (I want to to fit into these pants for the party next month) and true "lifestyle changes" to your daily eating habits are good for overall body wellness and getting a new baseline established for your bodyweight and metabolism. Overall, the latter is much healthier and will provide more lasting results than the former.

Anyone close enough to a true hydrostatic body fat % calculation facility? Many Jr. Colleges have them and will test you for a small fee, just a bad time of year.

I weighed myself this morning for the first time since starting last Tuesday night. I am down 12lbs. I will weigh myself again next Wednesday morning.

I weighed myself this morning for the first time since starting last Tuesday night. I am down 12lbs. I will weigh myself again next Wednesday morning.

Have you taken any measurements, (waist, chest, bicep, upper thigh, etc) ? I'm curious how much is just water/shat vs true bodyfat.

Anyone close enough to a true hydrostatic body fat % calculation facility? Many Jr. Colleges have them and will test you for a small fee, just a bad time of year.

Some bigger universities have the Dexa scan machines too...They're super accurate. UT Austin has one at their athletic center - it's $75 or so but gives you a ton of info in addition to normal bf % (muscle mass, bone density, etc). Pretty cool

Have you taken any measurements, (waist, chest, bicep, upper thigh, etc) ? I'm curious how much is just water/shat vs true bodyfat.

No, I'm not worried about that stuff. I just want to lose the weight and get below 200. Then I will resume healthy eating habits and hit the gym again. My goal will be to never go above 200 again. I will also not use juicing as a supplement to drop weight if I gain some back. I know what needs to be done.

Congrats!!

No, I'm not worried about that stuff. I just want to lose the weight and get below 200. Then I will resume healthy eating habits and hit the gym again. My goal will be to never go above 200 again. I will also not use juicing as a supplement to drop weight if I gain some back. I know what needs to be done.

So you are happy with losing weight regardless of if your fat levels stay the same? I.e. you are okay with potentially just losing muscle? :eusa_think:

"that stuff" is essentially THE most important thing you SHOULD be worried about. What happens if you find that your body is catabolizing muscle and purposely holding fat because it thinks you're starving it? In the end you'll be "lighter" with the same mass amount of fat, but actually a higher body fat %, and at the end of the day with less muscle you'll be far more likely to gain the weight back, because muscle is what burns energy.

Besides, given that much of the initial weight loss is water/shat, it's essentially irrelevant to your health/fitness level. You need to be tracking measurements and body fat% to make sure you're actually benefiting yourself and not just mind-fcuking your psyche over some number that is only part of the equation.

You very well may be on a path to reaching your madeup goal weight number, and in the end look/feel worse than you are now.

The victory is in the details.

Emanon how inaccurate are the pulse delay weights? I mean even if the fat percentage is not accurate, I would think the relative trend would still be semi accurate. So if it goes down you know you are on the right path, even though the percentage itself may not be right.

Emanon how inaccurate are the pulse delay weights? I mean even if the fat percentage is not accurate, I would think the relative trend would still be semi accurate. So if it goes down you know you are on the right path, even though the percentage itself may not be right.

Relative trend isn't accurate either, because it highly depends on the amount of water you are holding which can vary drastically day to day.

Relative trend isn't accurate either, because it highly depends on the amount of water you are holding which can vary drastically day to day.

The one I have measures water too.... at least supposedly. It shows fat%, water%, muscle% and bone weight.

Depending on when you use it, and what you have been doing previously, the % can be all over the place. Because things like fluid volume in your muscles and salt intake can throw it all over the place.

For instance, test yourself before and after a workout and you can swing the bf % by 5% or more. Same goes with those little handheld grip type testers.

I imagine if you try to be super consistent with your diet and time of day you were testing it could be marginally useful, but I haven't done any long term dedicated testing at this point. Just played around with a few and found them to be more of a gimmick for the general public than anything else.

A log of pictures, measurements, and strength during your workouts is the most accurate way to chart trends.

Will sugars from fruit affect your fat levels in the same way sugars from sweets like cakes, cookies, candies, etc...will? Because I have never personally gotten a sugar rush from eating fruit of any kind. I have never had irresistable cravings for fruit from eating it either. It doesn't seem to spike the blood-sugar level, thus causing the body to work excessively to lower the blood sugar level, thus making you have cravings in the way cakes, candies, cookies, donuts, etc...will.

Now something like a chocolate-covered-with-sprinkles donut, or a chocolate candy bar, they will spike your blood sugar level immediately I find, and then you get cravings awhile later for more. Never had this with fruit though (???).

Also, when consuming vegetables that taste terrible via a blended drink, you could try mixing them in with fruit. Say sliced apples with grapes with raspberries with brussel sprouts, mix in water, blend it up, then drink. The fruits will cover up the flavor of the raw veggie that you don't like and you can consume said raw beggie far more quickly too. I can see how this could be problematic though if fruits spike your glucose levels.

Will sugars from fruit affect your fat levels in the same way sugars from sweets like cakes, cookies, candies, etc...will? Because I have never personally gotten a sugar rush from eating fruit of any kind. I have never had irresistable cravings for fruit from eating it either. It doesn't seem to spike the blood-sugar level, thus causing the body to work excessively to lower the blood sugar level, thus making you have cravings in the way cakes, candies, cookies, donuts, etc...will.

Now something like a chocolate-covered-with-sprinkles donut, or a chocolate candy bar, they will spike your blood sugar level immediately I find, and then you get cravings awhile later for more. Never had this with fruit though (???).

Also, when consuming vegetables that taste terrible via a blended drink, you could try mixing them in with fruit. Say sliced apples with grapes with raspberries with brussel sprouts, mix in water, blend it up, then drink. The fruits will cover up the flavor of the raw veggie that you don't like and you can consume said raw beggie far more quickly too. I can see how this could be problematic though if fruits spike your glucose levels.

Eating fruit and drinking fruit juice are not the same what so ever. High Fiber fruits have a lower GI (Glycemic index) because fiber slows the absorption of glucose which causes the spike. Eliminating the fiber is going to change the way your body reacts to the sugars and how quickly they are absorbed.

Also, with the cakes and such it's not only the sugar, but the starch and simple carbs which your body will crave.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for fruit and fruit juices, but just be aware of how you may react to them.

One thing to consider as well:

"We’ve all heard that carbs make you fat. When we eat carbohydrates our bodies release insulin, a storage hormone that takes the sugars entering the blood stream and stuffs them into our cells. What you may not have heard, however, is that on top of insulin, carbs have a unique ability to increase blood triglyceride levels and make us store it as fat. This ability comes in the form of a simple molecule called glycerol phosphate.

The fat stored in our fat cells is made up of triglycerides. Triglycerides are composed of three (tri) fatty acids bound to a single glycerol molecule. Glycerol phosphate is a key component in the process of binding free fatty acids together to form triglycerides, as it provides the glycerol backbone that the fatty acids bind to.

Glycerol phosphate is a byproduct of carbohydrate metabolism (by glycolysis). The more glucose broken down for energy, the more glycerol phosphate we have available, and the more free fatty acids can be bound together to form triglycerides and stored as fat. In fact, the rate at which the body assembles fatty acids into triglycerides largely depends on the availability of glycerol phosphate." (1)

Fructose converts to glycerol phosphate more efficiently that most carbs

1. Good Calories Bad Calories - Gary Taubes

^ Excellent info!

Also, gylcerol forces water retention at about a 3:1 ratio of water -glycerol. This is why sports drinks are high in gylcerol to promote rapid absorption/hydration. And why when you cut down on carbs and sugars you see a very quick weight loss, the vast majority of it is water weight.

Hence why my post earlier stated that I would bet the first 5 or more pounds is all but irrelevant to "fitness" on this liquid veggie diet. You're going to be purging a lot of water weight as well as crapping out solid mass. The real measure of effects needs to start on week two and see how things progress.

As an example: wrestlers may go running in sweatshirts and jump rope in a sauna purely to sweat out as much water weight as possible. When you have a competition where you need to meet a weight class, this is effective and immediate. They can drop 15lbs rapidly without drastically altering their strength or muscle mass, as well esthetically are all but unchanged. But by the next day they will be back to their normal hydrated weight.

I hope everyone begins to grasp that the scale is only one part of the health/fitness equation.

Which brings me to another point, the whole BMI scale is total horseshit! It has no accounting for muscle mass and would put a lot of very lean professional athletes in the obese category.