05LSV Buying a Gallardo Thread

05LSV

Prices were lower 2 years ago (for good reason) on the cars I often look at. SLRs, F430, Gallardos, FGT. There were some bonkers deals also on Phantoms, Bentlys and the odd Vanquish. Also older cars like Pantera's were cheaper.

Is it just me, or does it seem like prices are going up right now? Is it dealers trading cars back and forth and jacking up prices? Why isn't anyone willing to negotiate - are dealers just blowing these cars out like it's nothing? I'm told that winter will slow things down, but damn I'm getting impatient.

So.....

Is this really the market right now?

2006 G - low miles (under 10k) - $125k

2007 G - low miles - $135k

2008 G - low miles - $140k

These are current dealer prices and I've made offers that I've thought were fair - I have been shot down on each. There are exceptions to these prices, for example there's a 2007 Black/tan G for sale for $118k online right now, but it's not the exact car I want.

As another example, a clean 2006 G with clear bonnet and carbon package sold on eBay a couple of weeks ago for $106k. Less than a week later it was listed by a dealer online for $122k!! Really?!??

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paralysis of analysis.

Nobody should spend if they're not comfortable but that said don't be afraid to spend a few more bucks on the car you want. You'll never look back at your empty garage and say wow I'm glad I didn't spend that 10 grand.

Paralysis of analysis.

Nobody should spend if they're not comfortable but that said don't be afraid to spend a few more bucks on the car you want. You'll never look back at your empty garage and say wow I'm glad I didn't spend that 10 grand.

That's certainly true porter. Based on that specifically, I've adjusted my budget twice and I still don't have a car. lol

I just don't want to look back and think to myself, "I love my car but I got hosed because I let my emotions cloud my better judgment."

That's certainly true porter. Based on that specifically, I've adjusted my budget twice and I still don't have a car. lol

I just don't want to look back and think to myself, "I love my car but I got hosed because I let my emotions cloud my better judgment."

You're too smart to get hosed :icon_thumleft:

You've been very specific in the car you wanted. It's okay to pay a little more if it's exactly what you want. Interesting though that the market is a little less liquid than expected.

You're too smart to get hosed :icon_thumleft:

You've been very specific in the car you wanted. It's okay to pay a little more if it's exactly what you want. Interesting though that the market is a little less liquid than expected.

There have been some nice orange, green, and yellow cars that I've run across, but the #1 choice has now become balloon white, followed by black. I wanted a Nera for a while and got pretty close on a couple, but went and saw one locally and decided against it after checking out the white interior accents in person. I'll find something eventually. I actually started this thread because I found a balloon white one online and it's an 07 listed for $140k. It's slightly out of my budget and I feel like a nice 08 could be had for those dollars if I went up to that range.

On another note I'm amazed you can fit in a G. I'm only 6' and I found the 560 tight.

The G certainly isn't as roomy as the F-458, but I fit good enough and it's a blast to drive. Plus, the 458 is out of my price range. lol

I'd personally go for an unmolested 04 to 06 which represent incredible value at the moment. You'd need to upgrade the headunit but that's it. The gearing and all that found in latter MYs is academic as you won't notice what you've never had. Plus once you've had your first exotic it isn't long until you trade it in for your second. The only time there was a real jump in technology was from G to 560.

No point to take a haircut with the inventory out there. Tons of product on the market, lots of choices. Trust me... not a lot of people right now are agonizing over what Lamborghini to buy. Most are worried about losing their homes. And dealers know that.

I'd personally go for an unmolested 04 to 06 which represent incredible value at the moment. You'd need to upgrade the headunit but that's it. The taller gearing and all that found in latter MYs is academic as you won't notice what you've never had. Plus once you've had your first exotic it isn't long until you trade it in for your second. The only time there was a real jump in technology was from G to 560.

No point to take a haircut with the inventory out there. Tons of product on the market, lots of choices. Trust me... not a lot of people right now are agonizing over what Lamborghini to buy. Most are worried about losing their homes. And dealers know that.

Agree, particularly with the 06 thought. It's not going to fall much further as years pass, the worst hit you'll take on it is around $20-30k tops from today's going range, and even that would require 5+ years to achieve. Pretty cheap to own when you think about it really.

And the reason I feel the 06 is worth the premium over the 04 is that the steering feels more alive (faster rack), it has the front-end lift already, most of them have back-up camera and the nav unit, the Callisto wheel is my personal fave of all the Gallardo wheel models, and it has demonstrably more power that can be felt even beyond the impact of the shorter 1/2 gears.

Either way they're both a bargain.

Balloon white or not, $140 for an 07 is a lot. Did it come with a bag full of money in the trunk?

quote name='05LSV' date='Oct 31 2011, 02:57 PM' post='896915']

There have been some nice orange, green, and yellow cars that I've run across, but the #1 choice has now become balloon white, followed by black. I wanted a Nera for a while and got pretty close on a couple, but went and saw one locally and decided against it after checking out the white interior accents in person. I'll find something eventually. I actually started this thread because I found a balloon white one online and it's an 07 listed for $140k. It's slightly out of my budget and I feel like a nice 08 could be had for those dollars if I went up to that range.

The G certainly isn't as roomy as the F-458, but I fit good enough and it's a blast to drive. Plus, the 458 is out of my price range. lol

Thanks for the great input.

A couple more questions based on the comments:

- I would imagine that I will trade up in 2-3 years for something newer. Regardless of that however, is there any reason to pay a premium for an 07 or 08 car with all other things being equal among the model years and their options? Obviously, if I found a smoking deal on an 08, I'd jump on it, but does it make sense to go out of my way for either model year compared to getting an 06?

- Porter: Can you elaborate on the head unit swap? I didn't know there was a newer looking head unit that updates the car in any way.

Here's an 06 that I'm looking at that I feel like I can get for a good price, but it doesn't have a clear bonnet, and I don't know if it's a good value without it since that's something that I've told myself is mandatory.

http://inventory.eurocaroc.com/web/used/La...ifornia/912850/

Here's the 07 that's priced higher than I want, but is the exact car I want:

http://www.lambonb.com/Orange+County-Lambo...04561-used.html

The older G headunits are useless. You will need to install an aftermarket Nav/iPod flip in-dash unit. All pre-09 OEM headunits are terrible at best.

I personally don't see the point to stretch for 07 or 08. As Mako, VBOXKING, and myself mentioned 06 was considered amongst best pre-560 G. If on a budget grab an 04 or 05 and call it a day. If you can handle the stretch to 06 go for it and be happy you've got all the fixings. All that 07 and 08 offer is a bigger haircut two or three years down the road when you're exiting to a used Murcielago :icon_mrgreen:

The 06 price range is perfect, the 07 or 08 (in the perfectly optioned car) is above what I would like to spend in many cases. For example, there's an 07 with 18k miles out there for $118k, but I don't like the interior so it's a good price but not something I want. On the other hand, there are a couple of nice 06 cars listed for $129k and I think that's too high, so I won't pay that price no matter what.

I guess the search continues.

The 06 price range is perfect, the 07 or 08 (in the perfectly optioned car) is above what I would like to spend in many cases. For example, there's an 07 with 18k miles out there for $118k, but I don't like the interior so it's a good price but not something I want. On the other hand, there are a couple of nice 06 cars listed for $129k and I think that's too high, so I won't pay that price no matter what.

I guess the search continues.

Why not offer 115k for that low miles black 07 stick above and hope to settle out at 117.5k?

That car is tits. Very nice.

I actually reversed the links in the cars based on my description. Were you talking about the white 07 or the black 06?

Thanks for the great input.

A couple more questions based on the comments:

- I would imagine that I will trade up in 2-3 years for something newer. Regardless of that however, is there any reason to pay a premium for an 07 or 08 car with all other things being equal among the model years and their options? Obviously, if I found a smoking deal on an 08, I'd jump on it, but does it make sense to go out of my way for either model year compared to getting an 06?

- Porter: Can you elaborate on the head unit swap? I didn't know there was a newer looking head unit that updates the car in any way.

Here's an 06 that I'm looking at that I feel like I can get for a good price, but it doesn't have a clear bonnet, and I don't know if it's a good value without it since that's something that I've told myself is mandatory.

http://www.lambonb.com/Orange+County-Lambo...04561-used.html

Here's the 07 that's priced higher than I want, but is the exact car I want:

http://inventory.eurocaroc.com/web/used/La...ifornia/912850/

The '07 you quoted says it is an '06 in the ad. The price is a little high, but it is a black on black car. Does have a little higher mileage but if the car checks out I don't think you are getting your pants ripped down. IT does not have back up camera or Navigation. At least I doubt the navigation without backup camera. It has Calistos which is pretty important in my book, and it does have the deviated stitch too. Driver's bolster looks a little worn, that would warrant some extra looking for me personally. Luckily, that place is blocks from Lambo Newport Beach so inspection would be a snap.

I like the yellow calipers but you need to verify the tires. I could see no dead on shot of them, makes me think they are suspect to replacement. That is another close to 2k installed. With all the service work done though, looks to be that the expensive stuff has been checked and verified. Looks to have had a clutch done too from the service receipt. That is comforting for sure as you will likely have a 12 month warranty from them on install (at least most places do that, and their service department is pretty top notch). I have heard that Tilo at Euro is a decent guy, but I do not know him personally.

I would also make doubly sure that the brakes have been checked. 15k miles might warrant a set of brake pads at minimum and a set of rotors at maximum. All things to factor into the purchase price. Love the yellow deviated stitching on the interior. It also has branding package on it but has no travel package so you don't get a cup holder or extra A/C outlet in the center console. Also has no glass bonnet which I thought from previous threads was a must have. After the fact that will cost a ton to add. Or you could just get the Heffner rear lid, and I think that SP also has one built out of carbon just like Jason does.

Good luck with working with them on it. If you really like it, I would not let 5k or so get in my way. Especially with the service that has been performed on it and the new clutch and E Gear service.

I actually reversed the links in the cars based on my description. Were you talking about the white 07 or the black 06?

The 06.

You've got some great advice in this thread. If it were me I'd hire Rouleur or Brian Albertson to find the car I want then sit back and let them handle all the grunt work. I'm way more productive doing my thing rather than clicking on Ebay links looking to save a few thousand bucks here or there...

I agree on the bonnet on the 06. That is one of the first things that drew me to the G in the first place. With so many cars with that option, it seems foolish to buy one without it, only to spend $6-7k immediately after purchase to get it. According to EurocarOC, the car does have nav, but no backup camera.

I don't want to settle but I'm getting impatient. I want to not care about the budget I've set for myself, but I'm just too frugal to disregard it completely and buy the white 07, even if it was available in the low $130s.

Can I assume that Rouleur and Brian Albertson are brokers?

That car is tits. Very nice.

Thanks, that's my old car! The OP already PM'd me and I gave him my $.02... When I purchased the car, I didn't want the clear bonnet because I didn't want people walking up to the car, leaning over to look at the engine, then scratching the car with their jeans etc... It's a personal choice... Car is super clean...

-Steven

Prices seems to have gone up, I picked up my 08 VI spyder fairly well optioned last summer (QC stitching, egear, leather II, rear cam, nav, branding pkg, travel pkg, electric & heated seats, passport 9500ci + laser shifters, upgraded sound with amp + subwoofer) for 140. Miles were on the high side though around 13k but miles never bothered me.

Most importantly get the color combo YOU want. Pay a little more for it. I always wanted VI and setttled for the Arancio Borealis. While I do love the orange I still lust for the VI. Clear bonnet and callistos are a must have! Other than that the 06's really seem to be at the sweet spot pricing and bang for the buck. Like others have said there really is no reason to get an 07 or 08 as there are very minimal differences, if any. Good luck with the search. Took me & Kevin2772 almost a year of daily searching to find the car I have now....

I agree on the bonnet on the 06. That is one of the first things that drew me to the G in the first place. With so many cars with that option, it seems foolish to buy one without it, only to spend $6-7k immediately after purchase to get it. According to EurocarOC, the car does have nav, but no backup camera.

I don't want to settle but I'm getting impatient. I want to not care about the budget I've set for myself, but I'm just too frugal to disregard it completely and buy the white 07, even if it was available in the low $130s.

Can I assume that Rouleur and Brian Albertson are brokers?

Brian is Exotic Car Search for example. If you're not having much luck that's an alternative especially for your first exotic. Depends if you're having fun searching yourself.

David, Some examples:

Higher side of mileage, but an 07 with all the trimmings, and it is a special edition (interior is a huge plus IMO):

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u...;standard=false

I believe this was a members car who was trying to sell for a while in the classified section. May be a good idea to reach out to him to find out how much they gave him on trade in. 2007 great color and Mileage:

2006 with higher miles, great color, but not very well optioned. Over by Skokos, you can PM him to take a look if he is available:

Great exterior color, but interior is not a great combo, low miles and good options:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u...262&ref=srl