104 members have voted

1. 1. Esprit TT V8 or Ferrari 355 Berlinetta

• Lotus Esprit TT V8
    • Ferrari 355 Berlinetta

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Deuce seems like a cool guy... except he seems to love gay cars.

I don't understand these choices, at this price bracket it's Herbie all day long.

997TT, either manual or auto, wins this little contest by about a thousand miles...In fact the choices under $100k are very simple:

1. 07/08 997TT (if you're over 35 years old)

2. 09/10 GT-R (if you're under 35 years old, unless you are Asian, then proceed to obligatory M3 with interior scent option :icon_mrgreen: )

3. 04/05 Gallardo

That's it, that's the list.

No Z-0-shit, no BMW M cars, no old Ferraris or tempermental Brittish boutique cars. 1, 2, or 3 from the above, DONE.

Tough choice.

I'd probably go with the Esprit because of the rarity. Looks wise it is more aggressive than the 355 but it can be argued that the 355 is more elegant looking. Still, I think Esprit wins in this category.

The 355 has an unbelievable sound, but at the same time to quote a friend "the lack of torque was nauseating". If you're not content with the top end power there's really nothing you can do about it -- I don't think turbos are right for this car.

Esprit does have good potential for power.

Handling/braking, I don't know. Even if one is quantitatively better than the other in these categories doesn't make it necessarily better as a driving experience. Being that these two cars are the same age, they would be rather close in terms of capability.

There's also subtle stuff like clutch takeup and shifting that can sway things a bit. The Ferrari gate can be a love/hate thing.

Maintenance wise, Ferrari has the valve guide issue, Lotus has the transmission issue. If you can find a 355 that has had a major service and valve guides taken care of (with documentation of course), then you're in very good shape otherwise there's risk unless you're willing to invest $10-15k yourself (or negotiate it off the asking price). Not sure how much it costs to upgrade the transmission in the Esprit, but I know it has to be done as we all know ~350 hp isn't enough, hehe.

They say a drive always settles a battle. If you can arrange that, that would be best. In this situation more than most I can think of, it seems almost necessary.

Allan's opinion is a very worthy one considering he has owned both but unless your car/driving tastes mirrors his to a tee it needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

Lastly, Ferrari has option of targa or spyder, if that matters.

I don't understand these choices, at this price bracket it's Herbie all day long.

997TT, either manual or auto, wins this little contest by about a thousand miles...In fact the choices under $100k are very simple:

Porter and Mako are correct.

But when it comes to 355 vs Espirt, I think it would boil down to the condition of actual cases you can locate.

1. 07/08 997TT (if you're over 35 years old)

2. 09/10 GT-R (if you're under 35 years old, unless you are Asian, then proceed to obligatory M3 with interior scent option :icon_mrgreen: )

3. 04/05 Gallardo

That's it, that's the list.

No Z-0-shit, no BMW M cars, no old Ferraris or tempermental Brittish boutique cars. 1, 2, or 3 from the above, DONE.

I was waiting for the Mako "The ruler has spoken" list. :icon_mrgreen:

For a fan of the modern cars with modern performance, this list seems on point. I think in Deuce's case this list is even more relevant.

However, the list is good for 80-90% of car enthusiasts, maybe. For the remainder they wouldn't even consider any of those 3 cars (over the 355 or Esprit). And this isn't a case of being too poor to own those cars, just a taste preference and it's quite legitimate.

For one thing that list is entirely AWD, hehe.

IMO no list is "the list" for everyone, just for certain people. :icon_thumleft:

My vote is neither...spend a little more money and get a 360 or a G. For $20k more than the 355 you can get a very nice 360 coupe!

If you want a daily driver get a Porsche Turbo car.

If it is a must decide between the 355 or Lotus, I would personally prefer to drive the 355. Put a tubi challenge exhaust on it and you are good to go!

Personally, since both cars are now in the 45K catagory, an Esprit for possibly less I think they are both great deals. I think the Esprit wins hands down in reliability, and with a few mods the Esprit can run with the best of whats available today. Inmo, the Esprit looks far more aggresive and the interior while old, is still decent, with good a/c. The ferrari on the otherhand looks decent, but with all the bolt ons you can muster will still lose to a stock Esprit. The Ferraris interior is arguably better when they were both new, but the Esprits seem to wear better over the years.

Herbie of course is a better car than both, but you arent buying a 997TT for the price of either..

Personally, since both cars are now in the 45K catagory, an Esprit for possibly less I think they are both great deals. I think the Esprit wins hands down in reliability, and with a few mods the Esprit can run with the best of whats available today. Inmo, the Esprit looks far more aggresive and the interior while old, is still decent, with good a/c. The ferrari on the otherhand looks decent, but with all the bolt ons you can muster will still lose to a stock Esprit. The Ferraris interior is arguably better when they were both new, but the Esprits seem to wear better over the years.

Herbie of course is a better car than both, but you arent buying a 997TT for the price of either..

Jesus, that's how low those are now?? I thought they were around $60-80k. Amazing.

Well at $45k there aren't many choices. In that light I'd go for the Esprit personally.

Deuce is resisting it because he wants to be able to say to clients and/or girls that he's "driving The Ferrari today", while "The Lotus" will only evoke confused expressions and "what is that" responses...:lol2:

Tough choice in LA.

Esprit is the better car, by far, but the 355 is again "A Ferrari"... :eusa_think:

Not really a big fan of either cars, Allan just trying to talk me into buying old junk! No clue what I really want to replace the porsche now that that I will be offing that soon

Was thinking:

Used 997TT

C63 AMG

RS5

Used TT Cayenne

Wait for new M3

Used early model 360

Not really a big fan of either cars, Allan just trying to talk me into buying old junk! No clue what I really want to replace the porsche now that that I will be offing that soon

Was thinking:

Used 997TT

C63 AMG

RS5

Used TT Cayenne

Wait for new M3

Used early model 360

I was looking for something in your budget.... You aint getting a 997 TT in that price range.. C63 is totally gay.. RS5 way gay.. used cayenne? BLEH... M3 waste of money... 360 still to high unless you get a unserviced shitbomb..

Was thinking:

Used 997TT

C63 AMG

RS5

Used TT Cayenne

Wait for new M3

Used early model 360

Also in this price range.

CLS55 & 63 AMG

Range rover supercharged HSE

M5

a lot of nice Porsches. C4S. Maybe a 996 turbo...no more gay ass cayman or boxsters

Vipers

RS4

some GTR's in the 60's

I was looking for something in your budget.... You aint getting a 997 TT in that price range.. C63 is totally gay.. RS5 way gay.. used cayenne? BLEH... M3 waste of money... 360 still to high unless you get a unserviced shitbomb..

997TT are starting to break into 60's and '99 '00 360's are already!

997TT are starting to break into 60's and '99 '00 360's are already!

Only 997 TT, you will find breaking into the 60s will be 07s... with high miles with questionable service and oddball colors.. Nice cars are still in the 75-78k bracket.. 08s with 40 to 50K miles are still in the 80s.. None of them have CPO warranty..

You can def get early 360s in the 60s though.. Maybe even get a euro car for less..

When i read the topic my mind was leaning on the lotus, but when i saw the red/tan 355 i voted for the fcar. My heart has a sweet spot for italians

I think the lotus given its years in production still turns heads.. that design is just so timeless. Look at a 355 and I keep thinking kit car.. maybe just because I saw a kit f car a day ago...lol. no mistaken the wedge shape of the esprit...

I think the lotus given its years in production still turns heads.. that design is just so timeless. Look at a 355 and I keep thinking kit car.. maybe just because I saw a kit f car a day ago...lol. no mistaken the wedge shape of the esprit...

:iamwithstupid:

The F355 is one of the few Ferraris I really like, so it's my choice out of these 2. It's a maintenance nightmare though... engine has to come out pretty regularly. Still, I'd like to own one at some point.