Good or stupid?

West Palm

So the other night, I was updating my wife's phone. Since I was hogging her laptop and phone she wanted to take a walk around the neighborhood. It's 930 pm and the update's pretty much done and my wife's dragging me out the door, so I leave the phone on the counter to finish and head out in shorts, sneakers and t-shirt. We always lock up when we leave and I have an elastic wrist key chain thingy for walks. We make it 75 yards from the front door when we hear a high pitched noise like an animal screech or child playing. We about face to get a better idea of what the sound is and start walking. We hear a woman screaming "Get off me" "Stop touching me" "Get away" etc. I sprint towards the screams and round the corner to an empty parking lot and see a pickup truck with a girls struggling with her legs sticking out of the passenger door with a male holding down her head in his lap. I pull the keys from my wrist and toss them to my wife (she's 50 feet away) and tell her to go and call 911. I yell at the guy in the truck to stop what he's doing and leave her alone. He jumps out of the truck and yells at me to get the fcuk out of here. He looks past me and sees my wife (who apparently ignored my first suggestion) and yells at her to leave as well. I turn to tell her to leave and get the phone. He charges me but I stood my ground and he stops 2 feet shy of danger close. He threatens to kick my ass, etc and I tell him I'm not leaving until the girl says it's okay. He realizes I'm serious and cools off a little. I try and talk to him and keep him distracted so the girl can get away. Finally I see an oppurtunity to convince my wife (still 50 feet away) to leave and get "supplies". We talk a few more minutes and he realizes my wife has left so he panics, jumps in the truck and leaves. I tell the local PD what I know and that's the end.

So, I know it's stupid to leave the house unprepared (yes I have a CCP). But I think seconds matter and I could easily have gotten there 1 minute too late and something serious could have happened to the girl. Then agin, I put myself and my wife in danger for someone I don't know. Wife is rehashing the unprepared part while I stand behind the "dealing with the situation you are in regardless how you got there". She should have left when I told her to..she had time and distance on her side.

There is no right or wrong. You did what you felt was right in the moment helping someone else. Was the situation ideal? No. Did you possibly endanger yourself. Yes. But who knows,maybe you stopped an abusive rapist or worse... You walked away from the situation Unharmed and that's always what counts.

I think it was stupid that you were updating your wife's phone. Now she'll expect you to do it all the time.

Show her how to do it and embrace her independence.

Sure it COULD have been worse but it isn't so you should not feel bad about the situation in any way. You did what many people wouldn't have done and I think it was brave. Thumbs up to you! :icon_thumleft:

someone else’s domestic struggle is a potential powder keg.

you got lucky, this was the stupist thing to do, and the nicest.

Buy some lottery tickets.

Did you get the plate number?

If not, Im going to say Stupid.

Without being there it is difficult for us to fully judge but I will say +1 Roman and I am sorry to say the wife earns a high silly point count.

He charges me but I stood my ground and he stops 2 feet shy of danger close.

Odd behaviour. :eusa_think:

So what did the other woman say at this or any point?

Especially at this one.

I tell the local PD what I know and that's the end.

Yes I got the plate. He actually tried to reverse out of the parking lot so I couldn't get it but I already had from a few minutes prior.

Without being there it is difficult for us to fully judge but I will say +1 Roman and I am sorry to say the wife earns a high silly point count.

Odd behaviour. :eusa_think:

So what did the other woman say at this or any point?

Especially at this one.

The girl was in hysterics...she was balling, hyperventilating and had her face burried in her hands. The guy said they had been drinking and at one point she had enough space to get out of the truck and haul ass but she never did.

I called 911 which patched my to the local 911 office...they took the info then called back 10 minutes later and asked if I had any more info. I assume he got away.

Yes I got the plate. He actually tried to reverse out of the parking lot so I couldn't get it but I already had from a few minutes prior.

The girl was in hysterics...she was balling, hyperventilating and had her face burried in her hands. The guy said they had been drinking and at one point she had enough space to get out of the truck and haul ass but she never did.

I called 911 which patched my to the local 911 office...they took the info then called back 10 minutes later and asked if I had any more info. I assume he got away.

There is no real right and wrong in each situation, as they are fluid and dynamic. I would had done the same thing if I were in your shoes.

You stopped a bad situation becoming worse. Sometimes you need to put yourself in harms way, even for a perfect stranger. That's what makes us human.

Nicely Done : )

However, You better half should have complied with your instructions a lot faster, as this had the effect of defusing the situation the combatant figured it was only minutes before the cops arrived.

She potentially could have aggravated the situation and perhaps become physically involved had the dude made contact with you. This is bad for her, you and the overall outcome of this event.

Your focus would have been split on protecting yourself and your wife at that point... that's tuff to do effectively.

Excellent !!!!

However, You better half should have complied with your instructions a lot faster, as this had the effect of defusing the situation the combatant figured it was only minutes before the cops arrived.

She potentially could have aggravated the situation and perhaps become physically involved had the dude made contact with you. This is bad for her, you and the overall outcome of this event.

Your focus would have been split on protecting yourself and your wife at that point... that's tuff to do effectively.

Excellent !!!!

I tried to explain that to her 5 different ways but not sure if listen next time we're in a situation. (which I hope is the third day after never)

I think from a moral perspective, you did the right thing.

However, the 'victim' (if she is infact one), didn't leave when she had the chance? Seems like your efforts were in vain.

Probably would have played out the same way with me. I'd call you lucky. He could have pulled a gun/knife on you, and the situation could have ended very differently.

You did the right thing,your wife didn't. Thank goodness that you and your wife are ok. You would not have been able to live with yourself if you had not done what you did. Sometimes the correct thing to do is not always the smartest thing and we are real happy when it turns out ok.

It sounds like you stopped (or at the very least delayed) a sexual assault/battery situation from occurring and that in itself is a victory.

My constructive criticism would be that I'm disappointed to hear that you're licensed to carry a firearm but were not doing so. The whole point is that things can hit the fan at any moment. Why bother with it in the first place if you're not going to carry?

All in all though, good for you for helping her out and doing the right thing.

From the female perspective - it's nice to know that a scream for help will bring exactly that. The girl you saved should be infinitely grateful for the risks you took. You are brave.

I agree with everything posted in response - no right or wrong - you did what you thought was best and are lucky it turned out so well.

I suggest attaching your weapon of choice to your elastic wrist chain thingy so you are never without your keys OR appropriate self defense.

(not really - but I'd sure make the effort to have both from now on).

I NEVER EVER go for a walk without carrying. I live in a beautiful, reasonably safe neighborhood full of nice people who would probably respond to screams - but I still wouldn't consider walking out the door without....

So did the two know each other or did he just pick her up at a bar? Sounds like you did the right thing but your wife should have ran back and got the phone in the beginning. You could have been shot and she could have been hurt as well and if she went and called the police at least she would have been ok. :icon_thumleft: Good work though.

You got the tag and it all turned out fine.... But you're doing the right thing... Having an AAR, and figuring out what you couldve/shouldve done differently.

I am perceiving that you realize It could have definitely gone south a lot faster than you were prepared to deal with it. Your wife got "Vapor Lock". Not unusual, but she needs to understand in the most delicate way you can, that next time she has to move her ass.

Her calling the authorities is your ONLY CHANCE for getting any help.

You had no weapon... and worse... NO PHONE...

You did well to defuse the situation, but you need to work on your "command voice". There are things you can do, armed or not, to take control of the situation that SHOULD keep the BG from charging up on you like that.... Turn your strong arm hip away from him, and put your hand on your rear hip like you've got a gun or weapon, and command "STOP AND PUT YOUR HANDS WHERE I CAN SEE THEM!".... Thats enough to give most people a pause about taking another step.

Finally-

The first rule of gunfights- Bring a gun

The Second rule of gunfights- Invite your friends who own guns.

The third rule of gunfights- Invite your friends who dont own guns, and lend them some of your guns.

If she really was scared or in danger, she would have bolted when she had a chance. She didn't. When I noticed this I would have just walked off. I can't count how many times I have seen some chick getting her ass kicked by some abusive boyfriend. When random guys jump in to help, they "helper" gets his ass kicked too and then the chick leaves with the abusive guy anyways. I have seen this happen probably 3 times.

I'm not getting my ass kicked, stabbed or shot for some chick who's going to leave with the perp while I'm laying on the ground with my guts spilling out on the ground and a knife stuck in my back. Domestic violence I don't get involved in. It's not worth it.

You did the right thing, instinct takes over and you react. It's not like you were not assessing situation every millisecond.

Most of you guys are cowards saying it's stupid?????? Thats the problem with society these days people think and rethink and 9 out of 10 would walk away. Do you think shit like this discusion about stupid or not would have happened 30 40 50 yrs ago??? Hell no men were men and you got involved. Anarchy rules because most of you let it happen.

Good for you, whether it was in vein or not you sir did not stand by and let a potential tragedy go down, Kudos to you :). Your wife should be very proud of you knowing you are a take charge kind of man, a real man.

Coming from someone who had a daughter assaulted. Thank you, she was somebody's daughter or mother.

You had the balls to stop a bad situation. Most people today look the other way. You've helped restore my faith in humanity.

I would have intervened as well. Kudos to you. I may have missed it but did the girl leave with the guy or did the guy take off alone? I wouldn't have let her get back in the car with him.

You did the right thing, but it sounds like the guy just took off to find a better spot to do what he was planning on doing anyway.

Good work indeed.

However, it is my understanding that a "domestic situation" is one of a the most dreaded calls for an officer due to how quickly the game and rules change. It is apparently rather common for an abused partner to suddenly fight on behalf of the abuser, especially once the abuser is about to be cuffed or facing danger. I personally am aware of an officer being stabbed with a butchers knife in the back (he was in a vest, not harmed). Victim went from tears and tales of abuse to suddenly willing to kill an officer to prevent harm to him. Be brave, do the right thing at the moment, but know the odds are stacked heavily against you. Brave on.