Glasses & Sunglasses

Rix

I had an eye test at the weekend and found I need glasses. I just ordered a pair of Oakley Bucket in Polished Steel. Unsure what glasses to go for but was leaning towards a pair of custom Oakley Antix with polarised lenses. C-SIX look incredible but $5k for sunglasses seems just a little excessive.

4d486473e056c.jpg

4af9a845e6ebe.jpg

Was curious as to what you guys wear?

I wear Oakleys now.

I used to wear Gucci and Prada, but I am at the beach or on our boat pretty often, so after losing a few pairs, I go the cheaper route now.

$5K? Sounds like a rip off to me. Especially when you consider how easy and often glasses break. Within a year you or someone you know will most likely sit on them and fcuk them up/break them.

So you need glasses that double as prescription and sunglasses, or you just want sunglasses suggestions?

I have no idea about the former. Most people I know who need glasses also have contacts. If they are wearing sunglasses, they usually have their contacts in. Guess it depends how impaired your vision is though.

If you just want cool sunglasses, well, no idea about that either. All depends on your face. Some styles look good on some people and bad on others. I wouldn't spend more than $250 on them though. I'd say you can buy every major high-end brand for at most $250. I just buy what looks best, but I've never paid over $250. Currently I have some Armani ones. Look really good, nothing fancy about the lenses. They do the job just fine. Even bought a backup pair which I just bent the other day when I sat on them.

Anything much more than that is probably just contributing to profit margin. Pretty much every major brand is made by one of these two companies, so they are all probably of similar quality:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luxottica

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safilo

$5K? Sounds like a rip off to me. Especially when you consider how easy and often glasses break. Within a year you or someone you know will most likely sit on them and fcuk them up/break them.

So you need glasses that double as prescription and sunglasses, or you just want sunglasses suggestions?

I have no idea about the former. Most people I know who need glasses also have contacts. If they are wearing sunglasses, they usually have their contacts in. Guess it depends how impaired your vision is though.

If you just want cool sunglasses, well, no idea about that either. All depends on your face. Some styles look good on some people and bad on others. I wouldn't spend more than $250 on them though. I'd say you can buy every major high-end brand for at most $250. I just buy what looks best, but I've never paid over $250. Currently I have some Armani ones. Look really good, nothing fancy about the lenses. They do the job just fine. Even bought a backup pair which I just bent the other day when I sat on them.

Anything much more than that is probably just contributing to profit margin. Pretty much every major brand is made by one of these two companies, so they are all probably of similar quality:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luxottica

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safilo

I wasn't really looking for suggestions per se, was more curious as to what you guys are wearing thats all. Feel free to post up pics :)

And as you mentioned, finding a good shape of glasses that suit your facial structure and "look" is generally difficult for most people, , personally quite a small face, which is why I tend to look for wrap around type frames, that being said I'll go with whatever suits my face and feel comfortable.

I manufacture and distrubute eyewear, the difference between a $100 (retail) and a $350 (retail) frame is marketing and royalties. That being said i'm partial to Chrome Hearts so I wear those (no i didnt pay retail).

I have a drawer full of Prada & Gucci sunglasses that I don't wear. For the last couple of years, I have been alternating between a few pairs of Frogskins and Ray Ban Wayfarers.

34e6a7c.jpg

5zkgh.jpg

I wear a little bit of everthing

Maui jim MJ sports for golfing, American optics aviators for flying, DKNY's for what ever else, Serengeti passeos, Persol 2720, Ray ban Wayfarers and clubmasters. and finally Oakley Gascan ducati edition.

Out of all of em my favorites are the serengetis and the maui jims.

I had an eye test at the weekend and found I need glasses. I just ordered a pair of Oakley Bucket in Polished Steel. Unsure what glasses to go for but was leaning towards a pair of custom Oakley Antix with polarised lenses. C-SIX look incredible but $5k for sunglasses seems just a little excessive. Was curious as to what you guys wear?

Go for the style you want first, & keep them as light as possible because you're going to be wearing them all the time. I've tried loads of different styles over the years, but the ones that I've found I'm most comfortable with are rimless with titanium arms & bridge piece. They're minimalist, hand-made by a local optician, run out at about £150 a pair, (@ $230), & are so light I often forget I've got them on. It really doesn't matter who makes them, (apart from my sunglasses note); comfort is paramount.

It's a very personal thing; for example, I don't like the arms too deep, because i find they restrict my peripheral vision. Whatever you choose, you'll be quite aware of them for a while, but you get used to that.

& make sure you buy a spare pair; you will likely break or lose them at some point, (especially as you get accustomed to them being around all the time), & then you'll be blind without them.

Hate the idea of anything touching my eyes, so I've never worn contact lenses.

Can't really comment on sunglasses; I live in the UK, where we have no need for such things. If you go 70's Foster Grant, you will be hailed a god.

I still like the square style wrap arounds. Just picked up a pair of Spy Hielo Polarized in Matte Black, because my previous pair fell off my head and the frame broke where it holds the lens

hielomatteblackpolar.gif

People spending a shit-ton of money on sunglasses is asinine, simply because they will always, 100% of the time, be lost at some point or another.

I go relatively cheap and understated as there's already too much douchebaggery out here in LA with every numbnuts flying their designer brand on the sides of their head like a billboard, and I try to stay lightweight as well.

Porsche Design 8407 fits that bill pretty well, don't cost a fortune and provide solid performance.

P8407_B.jpg

People spending a shit-ton of money on sunglasses is asinine, simply because they will always, 100% of the time, be lost at some point or another.

I go relatively cheap and understated as there's already too much douchebaggery out here in LA with every numbnuts flying their designer brand on the sides of their head like a billboard, and I try to stay lightweight as well.

Porsche Design 8407 fits that bill pretty well, don't cost a fortune and provide solid performance.

http://www.snowreef.com/img_lunettes/P8407_B.jpg

Agreed. Are polarized lenses worth the extra $?

Can anyone recommend a good bargained pair?

Never broke or lost a pair of glasses (regular or sun) in the 10 or so years I've been wearing them (prescription). I wonder if it's cause I usually carry a purse so I have the case and they stay protected. Never lost a purse either :)

I feel ripped off every time I get glasses, and I'm not going crazy on frames. By the time I pay for coatings it seems ridiculous.

Love my Ray Ban sunglasses. Lightweight - not too big or little. Fit nicely under my helmet and ball caps.

I still have my red Wayfarers from back in the day (80's?) Wonder if I could get them wrapped in CF....