Diablo - a sensible investment?

zack

Cars as an investment. Ha. All I know is it's always someone else that buys low and sells high. Most of us take big loss's, so it's a silly comment. SV's have a long way to go to even re-coup the value lost during the recession.

not in the short time.....but diablo has potential

needs years though...

i think in 5 years they can all go up in value

expecially SE30, SV, 6.0 and GT cars

Investment? Maybe. But don't bank on it. Buy one because you want one. If it increases in value when you go to sell it - great. If not, no big deal.

Investment? Maybe. But don't bank on it. Buy one because you want one. If it increases in value when you go to sell it - great. If not, no big deal.

Well spoken and I agree 100%. Very few production cars are an investment. Just buy one because you want one and because you can!

Will Diablos appreciate? Absolutely, especially the rare ones.

However very few Diablos will appreciate more than inflation and upkeep (parts are getting ridiculously expensive...)

So with a good car you might break even, which is good for an exotic.

Will Diablos appreciate? Absolutely, especially the rare ones.

However very few Diablos will appreciate more than inflation and upkeep (parts are getting ridiculously expensive...)

So with a good car you might break even, which is good for an exotic.

:iamwithstupid:

What do you guys think about the early 2WD models? They are super cheap if you look hard enough these days. I'm thinking about getting one soon within the next 5 years as my first exotic and doing some basic mods like wheels, exhaust intake and maybe a Supercharger?

The reason why I ask is I don't want to be destroying a possible classic. Of course if I can find me a nice dark blue or black car complete. Ill leave it alone and buy a Supra. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest MOSS

I think the SV will move up because of the low number and rear wheel drive. We will see

To put "car and investment" in the same sentence is an oxymoron. An extremely small amount of vehicles would qualify to call them investments, and they are usually a very high dollar amount to purchase initially. Like any other investmment, it can go the wrong way. You would have to figure the cost to insure, maintain, and store, compared to the revenue of "investing" your money toward something else that has a guaranteed payback in it to fully evaluate the "investment".

Anyway, Diablos are stable. Now that doesn't mean you will get your service and maintenance money back if you buy one or if you pay over market on your purchase. I personally don't think older Diablos will appreciate(stablilized though), but models like the SE, SV(99), Roadster(99), and the 6.0 will probalby gain back some or most of the ground they lost during the economic crisis, although it will be several years before that happens. If you put 10,000 miles on those above mentioned Diablos during that time you can't expect to get that appreciation, especially without current maintenance. Use is the usually the greatest depreciating factor with any car.

So yes, you can buy one of those above mentioned Diablos and have it increase in value years down the road, but you can't drive it. :eusa_think:

While its always nice to hear your car is worth more than you paid for, I dont believe in the vehicle speculation business. Its like any speculative financial instrument out there... and playing with the older cars are similar... We have all seen the speculation that bubbled out in the 90s with exotics new and old. I have to believe that history will and has repeat itself on the supercar market ... To make a purchase on a car based on its perceived value is ludicrous... Of course, this is great for the speculators that drum up the hype, talk up a storm about history, and ultimately make a good profit. If you want to buy a car, buy it because you like it and not because you are thinking in 5 years its going to be worth x amount over what you paid... That is the worst reason to buy a car... Besides, its not like you are going to take the car with you when you die... so either drive it, park it and watch it for enjoyment, but dont ever think that its going to be an investment... at least not for the majority of cars out there...

Investment vs enjoyment,... and keep the change....I bought my 97 Diablo Roadster to enjoy it... and believe me I have and still do AND I drive her as much as I want... 40K+ Km in the past 6+ years. She gets superb (and documented) MX every yaer at Driven Exotics. My oldest grandson is 5, the roadster is my contribution to his 529 plan. When he turns 18 in 13 years if he needs a little $ for college, the roadster should be worth something to help. I know I'll never recover the initial investment plus the MX costs, but the "Delta" is the unbelieveable, can't put a price on, the enjoyment I've gotten out of her since I bought her. Don't buy a Diablo (or any car) for an investment, buy it for the ENJOYMENT, then in years to come, keep the change....

buy a countach if you want an investment car

best investment is a carbed one

diablo holds value but that's it

you would pay for maintenance and worcks....not much more

• 2 weeks later...
Investment vs enjoyment,... and keep the change....I bought my 97 Diablo Roadster to enjoy it... and believe me I have and still do AND I drive her as much as I want... 40K+ Km in the past 6+ years. She gets superb (and documented) MX every yaer at Driven Exotics. My oldest grandson is 5, the roadster is my contribution to his 529 plan. When he turns 18 in 13 years if he needs a little $ for college, the roadster should be worth something to help. I know I'll never recover the initial investment plus the MX costs, but the "Delta" is the unbelieveable, can't put a price on, the enjoyment I've gotten out of her since I bought her. Don't buy a Diablo (or any car) for an investment, buy it for the ENJOYMENT, then in years to come, keep the change....

Hope to see you and your car again on August. Good times bro! FYI - we are working on a party at Driven this summer. Also I'm going to put together a drive that would involve SoCal and Vegas as stops. Free of charge and fun as hell. Laid back and relaxing with other Bulls. Maybe we can coax you out of AZ for one of the two.

Absolutely agree on the 'buy to enjoy', but please not to invest (other than say a... 1957 Ferrari 250 Testarossa or similar - haha) - seriously a whole bunch better places to invest than cars.

So for vacation homes, exotics, fun cars, trophy wives...buy because you want to, but try not to justify it as an investment (then you can drive things a lot harder, because you're not worried about hurting the value)

Absolutely agree on the 'buy to enjoy', but please not to invest (other than say a... 1957 Ferrari 250 Testarossa or similar - haha) - seriously a whole bunch better places to invest than cars.

So for vacation homes, exotics, fun cars, trophy wives...buy because you want to, but try not to justify it as an investment (then you can drive things a lot harder, because you're not worried about hurting the value)

Yeah..those trophy wifes are always in need of some kind of maintenancen and their value declines rather rapidly!! :icon_mrgreen:

Hope to see you and your car again on August. Good times bro! FYI - we are working on a party at Driven this summer. Also I'm going to put together a drive that would involve SoCal and Vegas as stops. Free of charge and fun as hell. Laid back and relaxing with other Bulls. Maybe we can coax you out of AZ for one of the two.

Bill, will send my roadster to Steve in the next few weeks (it was 102 in PHX today!) He'll get her ready then we are doing the LA to Monterey Stampede with the Club 16 Aug. Steve will have the cars shipped to LA Wed, the 15th, I'll be there to meet them. You want in? Let Steve know, the Stampede is a BLAST! Kevin Let me know about the party, I'll be there//