In Office Protection Ideas

Dr. Noisewater

Last weekend I replaced my stolen Glock .45 cal with a Ruger .40 15+1 and so far I'm liking it. I enjoy knowing I have 16 rounds to play with versus the 6-7 i had with the Glock.

You can see it here -- http://www.ruger.com/products/sr40/models.html

Now, Id like to figure out what would be best for some in office protection. Currently, my office front door is within eye shot of my desk so its a straight line to me. There wouldn't be to much warning time to prepare for a situation so this concerns me. Whatever I get needs to be ready to roll and within reach.

Im thinking a Mossberg shotgun would be harder to conceal in the office and take longer to get behind if needed. I do like the widespread effect of the pellets that comes with the shotgun ammo, easier to stop oncoming traffic without missing.

I had a Serbu Shorty in my hands the other day but thats a Class 3 animal and if you were to use it for protection you would be up the creek from what I was told. Not to mention penetrating many walls in the building!

You can see it here -- http://www.impactguns.com/serbu-super-shorty-9-12ga.aspx

I have a S&W .357 concealed carry but that thing not only wears you out but the trigger pull is heavy making accuracy in a panic situation touch. Its good at 2-3 meters but im not to confident with it so its just a backup currently

You can see it here -- http://www.christiangunowner.com/smithandwesson638.html

What do you guys use for protection at work?

Now, Id like to figure out what would be best for some in office protection. Currently, my office front door is within eye shot of my desk so its a straight line to me. There wouldn't be to much warning time to prepare for a situation so this concerns me. Whatever I get needs to be ready to roll and within reach.

Im thinking a Mossberg shotgun would be harder to conceal in the office and take longer to get behind if needed. I do like the widespread effect of the pellets that comes with the shotgun ammo, easier to stop oncoming traffic without missing.

My goodness Man, Am I the only one wondering what the hell you do for a living where you spend that much time worring who is coming in your office?

(I know that is an off limit topic, but.....Damn)

My goodness Man, Am I the only one wondering what the hell you do for a living where you spend that much time worring who is coming in your office?

:iamwithstupid:

I was wondering the same thing....

Just a few tips:

1) Find a new office

2) If you REALLY need it. Get another. My .02 : Get a full size Glock 9mm WITH tac light (depending on your office hours) and keep it within reach, maybe even in a holster attached to the bottom of your desk - and lock it up into a safe there or take home with you at end of your stay. My reasoning: It's a Glock. It's always cocked and ready to go- no questions. 9mm means you can shoot quick follow-ups and have LOTS of rounds to throw down range. Light - like I said, this is obvious if you're ever there after dark. Light works as a distraction/blinding device for a half second or so while you fire, after that it's just a target for them.

3) Find a new office.

Move your desk. Get a buzzer/lock on your front door so that someone can't enter unless they are "buzzed" in. Maybe hire a security guard? Glock is nice, but if you are worried that a shotgun will penetrate the walls, so will a 9 and or 45 so not sure it would be "safe" to shoot anything in your office?

Move your desk. Get a buzzer/lock on your front door so that someone can't enter unless they are "buzzed" in. Maybe hire a security guard? Glock is nice, but if you are worried that a shotgun will penetrate the walls, so will a 9 and or 45 so not sure it would be "safe" to shoot anything in your office?

:iamwithstupid:

If you think you need a weapon at work, it's time to move to a class A type building where they have security and screened access. If you are going to stay, the shotgun is the way too go. You're not in a John Woo movie, a shotgun allows you to be inaccurate and sloppy and still be somewhat effective. Really all you want to do is wound and repel until the police arrive, killing somebody in your office even if it is justified is going to create a world of problems for you.

Remington makes some nice ones, you can get a short barrel and a small tactical butt, I think it will be more useful than the Mosberg in the configuration you have shown.

What do you guys use for protection at work?

From what? Employees? Delivery guys? The cleaning lady? Mailman? Partners? Colleagues? :eusa_think:

a good one is the handgun with the biometric safe attached to the desk

post-8211-1333403358.jpg

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting/Gu...fes/_/N-1100213

Or if you want a shorter shotgun go with a mosberg 500 pistol grip. not a class 3 and minimum overall length before running into the short barreled shotgun law issues.

post-8211-1333403383.jpg

Set this up next to your desk, and have the remote next to your keyboard. You won't even have to look up from what you're doing.

ATK-LW25-Integrated-Weapon-Systems.jpg

Ok... A couple of things dont make sense....

You like the idea of a mossburg shotgun.... But are afraid of overpenetration with a serbu? A serbu is a 12 gauge with a REALLY short barrel... its penetration is LESS than a regular shotgun. Dont worry about class 3. If your life is in TRULY in danger you can defend it with a MACHINE GUN. What you use doesnt change the law.

1. The issue with a shotgun at work is that youre more likely to encounter AND hit INNOCENT people at work. And then youre FUCKED. You own everything that comes out of the gun... And in the case of a twelve gauge in a workplace, thats a lot of liability coming out of that barrel. Dont get me wrong... the Serbu is nice (Ive got one) but youre down to three pulls of the trigger... Thats not enough... You're better to have something that fires BULLETS.

2. Im not normally a caliber whore. I dont get hung up on "its gotta be a 45 or its shit"... Basically because I know that bad guys dont want to get shot. You pull a gun, ANY GUN, and most find a new victim.

Thats not the case at work... If theyre coming to your work, they have a purpose, and the mere possibility of getting shot may not phase them.... In fact, they may be counting on it, and be totally fine with that as long as they take you with them.

In that scenario, YOU NEED CALIBER. A BIG fcuking HANDGUN, WITH AS MANY BIG fcuking BULLETS AS YOU CAN SHOEHORN IN THE MAG. Its not something you need to worry about carrying around.. So weight and size dont matter- You're going to shove it in a drawer.

GO BIG AND GO HOME.

If it was me, it would be a Dessert Eagle or a 1911 in 10mm.

If it was me, it would be a Dessert Eagle or a 1911 in 10mm.

Are you seriously a fan of the DE? It weighs 10lbs, and only holds 7-8rds pending caliber. And the recoil is hideous. I'd go with an HK Mark 23 if I was going big, but that's just me.

10mm 1911 is a good choice though.

Are you seriously a fan of the DE? It weighs 10lbs, and only holds 7-8rds pending caliber. And the recoil is hideous. I'd go with an HK Mark 23 if I was going big, but that's just me.

10mm 1911 is a good choice though.

Im a fan of all magnum rounds. SPEED KILLS. Yeah... THE DE is a fcuking pig... But you dont have to carry it around... The Recoil sucks. But you only have to fire it once to make your point. Bottom line- it drills half dollar sized holes in flesh, and no matter how determined you may be, that translates to "fcuk it... Im going to just lay here and die."

Hahaahahahaha, I guess after reading over my post and also everyone's comments you would think I work in Compton or something! lol Not the case at all.

I have had a few situations ranging from disgruntled ex employees to walking into an armed robbery by mistake and being chased at point blank range. Now I look at things a bit differently. In all reality you could be in a class A building and become a sitting duck in the parking lot, things happen.

In Miami we get what the cops call "The bridge and tunnel crowd" infecting South Beach weekly which accounts for the bulk of the robberies and car jackings that are in the news.

Anyway its all about being 3 steps ahead of most people whenever possible.

I have a nice office in a decent place but I find myself surfing Lambo Power at odd hours sometimes and I like to be prepared should I encounter a POS walking around Miami. Besides guns are great and I love shooting at the range so it all comes together nicely.

Saleenfan -- That biometric gun lock for the desk is perfect, Ill dig into that and see what type of guns I can stash in there. Ill add the magnetic lock also, those 2 will do the trick.

RD -- point taken on the shotgun/Serbu comments - With employees and people within a close proximity liability issues are a factor.

And to add to Romans post, and what was said in the other thread. With a DE .50, if you run out of ammo, you can beat them to death with it.

Steve, if you ever want to go shooting drop me a PM.

Pock-- Thats a good idea, I usually wind up at Aces Indoor. Ill keep that in mind.

Ace's is down the street from where I work.

Here is from this past weekend in Homestead at an outdoor range in the boonies.

post-679-1333418272_thumb.jpg

I'd be willing to bet that in a panic situation that most people could empty an entire desert eagle mag and miss their target completely unless we are talking about point blank range. The best weapon you can own for personal protection is the one that you have the most experience with and are most comfortable with.

If you have a 9mm and you shoot it on a weekly basis, it's going to be a lot more useful than a desert eagle that you will most likely never have shot before. The DE suggestion is about as stupid as the theory that the sound a shotgun makes when being cocked is going to deter an intruder.

I'd be willing to bet that in a panic situation that most people could empty an entire desert eagle mag and miss their target completely unless we are talking about point blank range. The best weapon you can own for personal protection is the one that you have the most experience with and are most comfortable with.

If you have a 9mm and you shoot it on a weekly basis, it's going to be a lot more useful than a desert eagle that you will most likely never have shot before. The DE suggestion is about as stupid as the theory that the sound a shotgun makes when being cocked is going to deter an intruder.

I totally agree with you on the first paragraph but I definitely think the racking of a shotgun has sent more than a few intruders running. Maybe not every time, but instincts would certainly kick in with that familiar sound.

There is NO way i'd be able to place rapid and accurate shots with a DE. I'd rather have a high capacity handgun especially in a panic situation like described.

I have a nice office in a decent place but I find myself surfing Lambo Power at odd hours sometimes and I like to be prepared should I encounter a POS walking around Miami. Besides guns are great and I love shooting at the range so it all comes together nicely.

I work for some one else for the time being. The office is in a nice commercial area. But I often stay late sometimes too(only one in the building) and am some times nervous about who could be walking around. Really you never know. For the time being I need my job so I wont violate the no gun policy. I like to be prepared too, thats why I usually keep a loaded gun in my car. But what if someone were to just walk in on me? So I understand where you are coming from. Me just being an employee Im SOL, but you can protect yourself. Shot gun is your best bet.