Lamborghini Urus - #Invincible

Albert-LP

I used to believe he was the problem, and in many ways he is of course, but it's clear that VAG/Audi money decisions are limiting growth/progress.

It's as if the second Lamborghini stopped turning a profit in Q1 of 2009 they decided "whelp, that's it, shut down all of Lambo's future plans and stall on everything else that needs replacement".

Someone needs to explain to me how stalling, cancelling, and blantantly regurgitating existing products with "new stripes", is somehow a smart business model.

Meanwhile Ferrari and Porsche both did record numbers with record PROFITS over the previous 12 months...

Honestly we're lucky the LP700 even got out the door, thankfully.

I agree, but if that is the case, I would rather look for another job than be CEO and be tossed around as a some ragdoll.. Winky needs to STEP UP :icon_mrgreen:

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, but if that is the case, I would rather look for another job than be CEO and be tossed around as a some ragdoll.. Winky needs to STEP UP :icon_mrgreen:

His words have reflected that lately, his interviews are less optimistic, less "conquer the world" than they were 2-3 years ago. He seems resigned to the bureaucracy of VAG and the inherent limitations within (i.e., he's powerless as you noted).

Sucks, but I keep it in perspective...they got the LP700 out the door, which is a truly impressive car to anyone without a hardon against the factory, and the next Gallardo will hopefully be a strong car.

It better, because by the time it fcuking gets delivered to customers Ferrari will have the 458 replacement on the way... :eusa_wall:

Problem is, there are too many "higher-ups." Too many nannies that need to be asked for permission for every decision made at the assembly level to effectively govern and advance the business.

Fiat make cars that sell, Ferrari make cars that sell for more money, di Montezemolo ruled over everyone with an iron fist and kept the politicians of Fiat away from the "magicians" at Ferrari, and everyone was happy; including the clients.

Even if Wink was a genius and visionary, he'd still have too many people above him who'd make things very difficult.

Competition can drive a brand under like quicksand, but competition from within will sink you quicker than the Titanic.

Problem is, there are too many "higher-ups." Too many nannies that need to be asked for permission for every decision made at the assembly level to effectively govern and advance the business.

Fiat make cars that sell, Ferrari make cars that sell for more money, di Montezemolo ruled over everyone with an iron fist and kept the politicians of Fiat away from the "magicians" at Ferrari, and everyone was happy; including the clients.

Even if Wink was a genius and visionary, he'd still have too many people above him who'd make things very difficult.

Competition can drive a brand under like quicksand, but competition from within will sink you quicker than the Titanic.

:iamwithstupid:

And Porsche now being included in the process has convoluted it even more. You've got Audi, VAG, and Porsche brass all having input and say in what happens at Lambo directly.

Sometimes a dictatorship is definitely better than a democracy...god knows Enzo, Ferrucio, Ferdinand, and even Princess Luca, are proof of that alone. :icon_mrgreen:

New Gallardo is already slotted in, this third line speculation for 2017+ comes after and isn't delaying anything really.

It's just long term planning, and in this case it's "I don't give a fcuk until it's less than a year away" planning...

The real issue is that the next Gallardo is still 18-24 months away apparantly, which is just inconceiveable to me from a business standpoint. Audi hasn't presented a valid reason as to why they believe stalling on the next entry-level platform makes economic sense.

Perhaps they are trying to get the G and R8 on similar cycles and are delaying the next gen entry level Lambo because they are still working on the platform. Technology moves lightning fast these days, maybe it didn't make sense for them to have two very similar cars on very different product cycles, as launching a new entry level lambo in 2010 would make it fall behind in tech by the time they'd have to replace the R8. This way they can work on both models at the same time? As long as the entry level Lambo is closely linked to Audi's halo car I don't think we'll be seeing 5 year product cycles as is the case with Ferrari. Audi got the idea of making a halo car after Lambo launched the G, now the G replacement has to wait for the R8's cycle to end, as I get the feeling the R8 alone is bringing in a lot more $$$ than Lambo's both model lines.

Perhaps they are trying to get the G and R8 on similar cycles and are delaying the next gen entry level Lambo because they are still working on the platform.

I thought that as well originally, but Audi is doing just a cosmetic refresh for 2014 with the R8 (same internals, but new face and added DSG), which means the R8 2.0 replacement is at least three years away.

That's too long for the Gallardo platform to wither away in sales, so we'll see the new Gallardo first, followed by the R8 that uses its platform later. And that's only if they keep them based on the same hardware, there's talk that the next R8 platform is going a different direction.

The choice to "skip" a 458 competitor was a business move by Audi/VAG, and I suspect it happend shortly before the decision to do the LP560 revisions was made.

When the financial crash happend and the entire world went in the shitter they gambled that it would be a prolonged worldwide recession, even for the wealthy.

It wasn't.

The rich came back as big consumers at full force, and by the end of 2010 the entire market was breaking records for luxury goods purchases (and has continued on in 2011 and 2012).

Ferrari, Prada, Rolex, etc, etc, have all broken sales and revenue records recently, which tells you just how badly Lambo fucked up by missing the "comeback" and deciding to just stand still.

VAG bean counters made a mistake, and they're paying dearly for it now with dealers forced to try and move "cheap" LP550-2 cars because they can't compete at the higher F458 price points, while the third model line that was SUPPOSSED to be in place by now (remember the Estoque concept debuted in 2008) was delayed to the point that now 2017 is the earliest it can happen.

fcuk up, after fcuk up, after fcuk up.

I don't know, or care, who is to blame. All I know is that someone really miscalculated and the brand continues to pay for it.

When the financial crash happend and the entire world went in the shitter they gambled that it would be a prolonged worldwide recession, even for the wealthy.

It wasn't.

The rich came back as big consumers at full force, and by the end of 2010 the entire market was breaking records for luxury goods purchases (and has continued on in 2011 and 2012).

Ferrari, Prada, Rolex, etc, etc, have all broken sales and revenue records recently, which tells you just how badly Lambo fucked up by missing the "comeback" and deciding to just stand still.

Mako,would you have any good articles you could point me to on this subject? Just the other day I was telling someone this and they told me I was full of it. I tried a million different ways to explain that since the financial crash the wealthy have been spending more then ever and weren't being tight with their money.

i think we (italians and world wide Lambo enthusiasts) should thank very much Volkswagen Audi Group for what they did for Lamborghini: we have a fantastic state of the art LP700 king of the hill in 300 K euro price range, an incoming new G with 600 HP and a 7 speed DSG gearbox with some carbon fiber use and a future 600 HP MegaSUV.

Lamborghini is a small factory, Ferrari is by far bigger (almost four/five times and ten times if you add the F1 racing division): what do you expect from a small factory? F12 cannot tie the LP700 and this is incredible.

An orange LP700 entered some weeks ago in Ferrari R& D department and a lot of Ferrari workers and employees stopped their fork for a while looking at this awesome orange monster... of course i should not say this, so if you ask me again if that is true, i will answer you i do not remember anymore and probably it never happened...

ciao

Mako,would you have any good articles you could point me to on this subject? Just the other day I was telling someone this and they told me I was full of it. I tried a million different ways to explain that since the financial crash the wealthy have been spending more then ever and weren't being tight with their money.

Just look for the business performance data for the luxury brands. look at Hermes, LVMH etc.

The thing is it is a different location of spending, Asian markets along with selected areas of Eastern Europe.

There are trends that buck Makos theories though and they are under the VW brand.

Look at Bentley, they were really on the ropes under VW, their product cycle is like a Pennyfarthing compared to that of Lambo who are like Chris Hoy's sprint bike!

They were struggling with two cars a week, staff were put on permanent leave and now they have turned it around with Asia their number wan market followed by USA which is showing serious growth.

Aside from Germany, Europe was tanking hard for them which was previously what could be termed "a bill paying territory".

Now look at what cars have been put out by Bentley in the last 2 years, look at what future concepts they have shown, compare that to Lambo who are considerably brighter but somewhere someone has tied their shoelaces together.

After stripping away all the concept-only CF stuff, it's just a generic SUV with a Lamborghini front-end and badge. I'm sure the profit margin would be massive.