California tint laws

05LSV

I was just reading the CHP website and saw that it's illegal in CA to have any tint on the front driver and passenger windows. Is this really true? You can't have any tint on the front side windows at all? Do they go after you for this?

Occasionally...In 20 years I have gotten 3 fix it tickets for tint. I always roll down both front windows when I get stopped. Generally it's just the super ahole cop that does it.

You are correct it is illegal to have any tint on the front driver or passenger window. I have been driving for just about 12 years and have had 2 or 3 fix it tickets. It is not something they chase by any means, like Kinnsella said the cop really has to be an HUGE asshole to ticket you for tint. Majority of cops I know have there windows tinted.

DONT WORRY ABOUT IT

CHP will stop you for tint, no front plate. Many have gotten both.

If you do, you can get it fixed and signed by any cop with a $25 fine. Otherwise, it is a $150-175 bill without correction.

Legally, you can apply a light tint that basically is the same as the factory glass. Cops insist any tint is illegal. Either way, light tint doesn't make that much sense IMO since UV blocking is quite good without tint anyways.

Just like I said in the other thread.....the tint laws on record are way more stringent than what's typically enforced....

But that doesn't stop a cop from writing the ticket when he wants to.

Honestly the best thing maybe is just to wait it out and see. It was one thing to get a tint ticket every 18 months, pay $100 and be done with it. Totally another to get one per month.

Get a dermatologist to write you a note that says you have a medical condition where you can't have exposure to sun and require dark tint.

I don't have a scientific reference handy, but auto glass does not block UV-A. UV-A still goes through auto glass and does cause skin cancer along with premature aging.

I recently did a bunch of researching of tint. I came across the Crystalline series by 3M:

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserve...%20Brochure.pdf

They have a tint that blocks IR and UV but it is a light colored tint (Crystalline 90) so you might get away with it being a 'factory' tint.

I like sprite's idea though. Just keep the note in your car at all times.

Get a dermatologist to write you a note that says you have a medical condition where you can't have exposure to sun and require dark tint.

Tried that here in Ohio and that didnt go over well....

Tried that here in Ohio and that didnt go over well....

What happened? One of my exes has a note and got out of a tint ticket in Florida. Personally I've only ever gotten one ticket for tint so not a big deal, but I can see it being a pain in the ass with tint in CA if they are more strict on enforcing it.

I got 5% on sides and rear now and I think it's either 35% or 50% on windshield.

403519_669013405446_81007528_n.jpg

They will pull you over here, no question about it. I believe Alex has been stopped one or two times for this......

Get your eye doctor to give you a prescription for your eyes being sensitive to bright light. That's what i did and i can have limo tint and tint my front windshield (which I did) if you desire.

The way around this is to license the car in Montana or another state that allows tinting. I tinited my sons car windows but licensed the car in Florida, thus no issues.

The way around this is to license the car in Montana or another state that allows tinting. I tinited my sons car windows but licensed the car in Florida, thus no issues.

It would be a huge pita to do because Cali is really cracking down on that stuff.

It would be a huge pita to do because Cali is really cracking down on that stuff.

So are many other states...They will require proof that you spend a majority of the year at that other residence. Plus, if a local cop keeps seeing you in the same car with the same out of state plates, he will start to break your balls.

I think it would just be easier to apply the tint, and see how it goes. If you get too many tickets/stops, just peel it off or go lighter.

I've had ALL of my cars tinted since I was in high school, and only been pulled over a handful of times (any tint on the front windows is illegal in NJ) , and never given a summons for it (although I did get a few written warnings).

Ah maybe that is true, he is a student so they let it go.

In Calif, any aftermarket tint is illegal on the front windows or front windshield except for 100% clear UV-blocking film. But in reality, if you install a very light tint, it looks like factory tint from afar and they won't give you any trouble. There are modern tints like 3M Crystalline someone mentioned earlier that reject lots of heat while letting most light pass through. Crystalline is pretty expensive; there are other brands that work almost as well but are much cheaper. Suntek Carbon XP is one

It may be a bit different but I've had my cars windows tinted for the last 5 years and I've had one ticket...been pulled over quite a bit more than that so I guess its just how much of a dick your cop is.

California fcuking sucks ass, they are a bunch of fcuking crooks.. Listen to this.. 2 yrs ago I traded in my Bentley for Herbie.. Literally the day I traded the car in, I had sent payment for registration in to the state. The reg was still valid on date of trade ( actually good for a few weeks more) so I stopped payment on the check as why reregister a car I wasnt going to keep past the registration expiring.. For 2 yrs since they have been saying I owe them the money. According to them once I sent them the money, it was theirs.. I just got a notice to garnish my own wages for the money. LOL

California fcuking sucks ass, they are a bunch of fcuking crooks.. Listen to this.. 2 yrs ago I traded in my Bentley for Herbie.. Literally the day I traded the car in, I had sent payment for registration in to the state. The reg was still valid on date of trade ( actually good for a few weeks more) so I stopped payment on the check as why reregister a car I wasnt going to keep past the registration expiring.. For 2 yrs since they have been saying I owe them the money. According to them once I sent them the money, it was theirs.. I just got a notice to garnish my own wages for the money. LOL

That's why I always pay my registration with a Credit card 2 days before its due.

What happened? One of my exes has a note and got out of a tint ticket in Florida. Personally I've only ever gotten one ticket for tint so not a big deal, but I can see it being a pain in the ass with tint in CA if they are more strict on enforcing it.

I got 5% on sides and rear now and I think it's either 35% or 50% on windshield.

Wow that is dark. I need to get a note now.

Maybe it won't be such a big deal then since my cars are all registered in Texas.

How would it work if you spent equal time at four different homes though out the country?

Maybe it won't be such a big deal then since my cars are all registered in Texas.

How would it work if you spent equal time at four different homes though out the country?

As long as you don't have a Cali drivers license you are safer, but if the same cop keeps seeing you he may give you problems.