Location/life move?

TRANSAMERA

Guys,

I have a question for all of you! Do you ever feel that you get fedup of living where you live? That you don't get inspired or meet new people/places?

I often feel that I would like to live in cool cities like NYC, Miami etc just to get new inspiration and motivation.. Now, the other day I read on a friends FB feed that he would love to live in Spain (no special reason, he just liked Europe) and that made me wonder if all places/people around the world feel the same? I mean come on, I live in a shithole with less residents than a good night in a nightclub in Miami, how in the flying fcuk could I feel the same way about my average day/life as a frikkin Miami resident?

Of course I know that a new place is extra cool and giving emotionally, but say you were raised in LA or Sydney or Tokyo, would you get fedup and think this place sucks or would you feel no need for such thoughts since you live in one of the world capitols?

How many people here share theese thoughts/feeling and if so, why? What do you do about it?

:eusa_think:

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live in a suburb of NYC, about 15 miles away. I get to enjoy the city nights as well as the secluded, somewhat serene setting of the 'burbs.

My locale is also about 5 minutes away from the beach.

I truly love where I am.

I live in a suburb of NYC, about 15 miles away. I get to enjoy the city nights as well as the secluded, somewhat serene setting of the 'burbs.

My locale is also about 5 minutes away from the beach.

I truly love where I am.

I'm glad for you!

How long have you been there?

I was born and raised in the same spot, pushing 30 years now, my family is here and I have my friends but otherwise it prettu muck sucks, same people different day sort of. Weather plays a big role as well I guess.

I'm glad for you!

How long have you been there?

I was born and raised in the same spot, pushing 30 years now, my family is here and I have my friends but otherwise it prettu muck sucks, same people different day sort of. Weather plays a big role as well I guess.

I've lived here for about 15 years now. But I grew up about 15 minutes away, so pretty much the same area.

Like I said, I'm 5 minutes from the beach, 1/2 hour to the city and an hour to the mountains

I've got a bad case of this at the moment. Lived in Brisbane (3rd largest city in Australia) all my life, and am over it - and I'm only 23! However at the moment, working in the stockbroking/investment banking industry, I feel like the risk of leaving the security of my job when so many people with a hell of a lot more experience than me are losing their jobs, is too high to move. So not only am I fed up with where I live, but I feel as if I'm stuck.

I may end up moving and realising that Brisbane is great and move straight back, but I really need to get out and try somewhere new, even somewhere close like Sydney or Melbourne - Ideally I'd love to give NY a go, been there twice on holiday and loved it - but that's easier said than done unfortunately.

Jirre,

The main thing is to live near all the action, but not IN all the action-IMO. You don't want to live in a Spring Break atmosphere 100% of the time as one of two things will happen-you will become a RAGING alcoholic and/or worse or you will end up moving back home. Some peoe can party every single weekend an a couple nights a week and be 100% fine at work. Problem with Miami and NYC is that lifestyle can and will consume you, and at a very expensive price. I would Remember-everything in moderation.

If you want to move to Miami, send me a PM, and ill send you my new email address.

We moved 7 times for my job (which I no longer have). We found life is what you make it - meaning you can enjoy just about any place as long as you invest energy and have the right attitude. Obviously it helps to have enough financial security to live in a reasonably nice place.

Sure - some places (culturally and weather patterns) are easier to like than others, but I'm convinced I could be happy almost anywhere because I want to be happy, I'm an optimist, and I will try to make the best of any situation.

If that ^^ fails, Jpegs13......have you got room for two more? :lol2:

I would imagine it's just human nature to get tired of something over time. It happens to me all the time. Yeah Ohio isnt the most exciting by any means but I can be happy anywhere as long as I surround myself with the right people in the right enviorment. Think it goes along with the saying no matter how hot a chick is there is some guy somewhere that is tired of her BS and or tired of fcuking her. Same goes for where one lives I would think.... but this is just my .02.

You probably just miss your R8 Jirre!!!

Well some of you know I have had some rough crap of late, I need a huge wholesale change and I know I need to move away but the issue is that whilst the crap is here the good stuff keeping me going is here like family.

The thing with moving is the grass is always greener, it is the thought of new job new place new surroundings is daunting to me now. If one of those things head south where is my exit plan?

A few people I know have moved to Aus but I am quite certain that it is filled with Australians so that plan is out.

Maybe Porter will give me a job?

The thing with moving is the grass is always greener, it is the thought of new job new place new surroundings is daunting to me now. If one of those things head south where is my exit plan?

"the grass is always greener over the septic tank"

A few things:

Change is good.

Living in too small of a town -- if it bothers you, it is for a good reason.

What Jpegs & Pike are saying is very true with respect to location within a city.

Having said that the grass is usually greener on the other side of the fence, and there will be things you will miss about your current location if you leave.

If you're looking to relocate for 1-3 years, I think you should do it. I see a few of us on here have done that recently and it's been pretty good....even if some of us want to move back. :icon_mrgreen:

i think you have had the SOFL itch for a while now. you should rent a place for 6mos. try it out and if you like it maybe buy something permanently.

like Mike said be close to the action, but far enough so you can focus on work etc..

YOLO so NOW is the time!!!!!

i think you have had the SOFL itch for a while now. you should rent a place for 6mos. try it out and if you like it maybe buy something permanently.

like Mike said be close to the action, but far enough so you can focus on work etc..

If anything, he'll at least have a chance to meet you!

Guys,

I have a question for all of you! Do you ever feel that you get fedup of living where you live? That you don't get inspired or meet new people/places?

I often feel that I would like to live in cool cities like NYC, Miami etc just to get new inspiration and motivation.. Now, the other day I read on a friends FB feed that he would love to live in Spain (no special reason, he just liked Europe) and that made me wonder if all places/people around the world feel the same? I mean come on, I live in a shithole with less residents than a good night in a nightclub in Miami, how in the flying fcuk could I feel the same way about my average day/life as a frikkin Miami resident?

Of course I know that a new place is extra cool and giving emotionally, but say you were raised in LA or Sydney or Tokyo, would you get fedup and think this place sucks or would you feel no need for such thoughts since you live in one of the world capitols?

How many people here share theese thoughts/feeling and if so, why? What do you do about it?

Oh God! I feel the exact same way, and was just thinking about this before I logged on to LP!!!!

In your case Stockholm is kind of nice from a tourist perspective, but I honestly find all northern countries incredibly depressing , I don't know how people there manage to be among the happiest nations in the world. I would be an alcoholic if I had to live there...

And to you guys in the USA, you are lucky, and don't really appreciate what you have, I live in an absolute shithole of a country. I'm sick of paying taxes for nothing, sick of the people sick of everything. I'm planning on moving back the UAE as soon as I can, but most likely in 2013 and I've already been making plans because I'm relocating my company's operations and some of my employees along with me. I'm inclined on going to Abu Dhabi this time as it's a much much more pleasant place to live in than Dubai imo. If my business wasn't tied to the middle east and eastern europe or if I had a good solid business opportunity in the USA I would move there no doubt about it.

And as for friends, I like to think I'm an interesting and likable enough person to make friends wherever I go, so it's not much of a problem for me, and in these days of social media and stuff, you really have to WANT to not keep contact over time. I doubt you'd have any trouble making new friends the way you party, eyebrows :)

How you feel inside definitely matters and you'll never know if you would enjoy living in another place until you try. You're lucky it's financially viable for you to try different cities and countries, most don't have that luxury, so take advantage of it... nothing like a new city, new spots to check out, new friends to make and new girls to bed. :icon_thumleft:

:iamwithstupid:

If I were him, I would rent for 6 months to a year in Brickell area in Downtown Miami. It is the Financial district, so good place to open an office. You are literally 5-10 minutes from South Beach, and you can still live on the water and look at South Beach every day. Get a car or 2 that wont depreciate too much in that timeframe, etc. If it doesn't work out (business wise or personally), you can move back home. Nothing wrong with trying to do something different, but I think there always needs to be an exit strategy too.

Like if it doesn't work out in Miami, you can move North and stalk Megan Fox's parents which live 2-3 hours north in Fort Pierce.

I personally don't because I live in a great location, however, I have friends who do not live where I live, so they feel the same way as you. I can't imagine not living close to a good city, with great stores and great food. Lots to do if I want a city experience yet I have natural beauty right in my own backyard. I would love to visit other places, but I dont think I would ever move from where I am at. Born and raised here, also.

Like CGNIT said, #YOLO :icon_mrgreen: . I think you need to live in an area that has the same type of people who share the same interests as you. Some places just flat out suck to live in. And I do believe that it plays a role in how you approach each day. I will say that sometimes living in a metro area does spoil you, and the true inspiration, whatever that may be, comes from the crappier areas. Sometimes the distractions are too great to really appreciate what life is all about imo.

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence........until you climb over the fence look around and realise that the grass is in fact greener...just on the other side of the fence!!

Having been born and raised in L.A. ( 20 min north of downtown/Hollywood/Etc ) and then having moved to Italy for a year and then moved back to California but to the central Desert, I can say that it really IS what you make of it. My wife and I were talking about this topic while we lived in Italy. She asked "Do you think the people that live here realize how lucky they are?" and I answered "To us, this is amazing, the culture, the history, but to them it is what they have grown up with. For them Los Angeles is amazing". When we were asked by people in Italy where we were from and we said the U.S., they asked where and we said California. The first thing they asked was "Los Angeles?!?". Many of them said they would love to go there or they dreamt of going there. But for us, our dream was going to Italy.

With that being said, I absolutely loved Italy, and I lived in Naples ( which some people had told me was the worst part of Italy, but to me it was my favorite ). But to be honest, I don't think I could live there indefinitely, it is a beautiful country and I could live there for a few years. But at the end of the day as much as there are things I can't stand about California, I love it here and until we have an earthquake that drops it in to the ocean I'll probably always end up back here. It is said that the grass is always greener on the other side; but really the grass is greener where you water it.

When you go to another country, vacation is not a good gauge of whether you like the location or not. You are in tourist/vacation mode, you don't have to do your normal everyday activites like shopping, car registration, home repair, the daily, weekly, monthly grocery shopping. That was one thing I realized when we moved to Italy, the first few weeks while we were apartment hunting was like being on vacation. Everything was easy, we ate out every night, we had hotel room service, laundry, housekeeping. Then we got into our apartment and I immediately realized how much different things are for your day to day activities. I looked at things that I used to complain about in the U.S. as being inefficent and redundant and found things worse, but on the same note I found other things to be far better. At the end of the day everywhere you go has it's pros and cons. Someone else said it above, if you have the financial means and stability, get an apartment for 6 months and see how you like it, find the pros and cons and see how it weighs out against being in your current location.

Whatever you choose, good luck to you. If you end up in California, let me know, we still go down to the L.A. area all the time.

Having been born and raised in L.A. ( 20 min north of downtown/Hollywood/Etc ) and then having moved to Italy for a year and then moved back to California but to the central Desert, I can say that it really IS what you make of it. My wife and I were talking about this topic while we lived in Italy. She asked "Do you think the people that live here realize how lucky they are?" and I answered "To us, this is amazing, the culture, the history, but to them it is what they have grown up with. For them Los Angeles is amazing". When we were asked by people in Italy where we were from and we said the U.S., they asked where and we said California. The first thing they asked was "Los Angeles?!?". Many of them said they would love to go there or they dreamt of going there. But for us, our dream was going to Italy.

With that being said, I absolutely loved Italy, and I lived in Naples ( which some people had told me was the worst part of Italy, but to me it was my favorite ). But to be honest, I don't think I could live there indefinitely, it is a beautiful country and I could live there for a few years. But at the end of the day as much as there are things I can't stand about California, I love it here and until we have an earthquake that drops it in to the ocean I'll probably always end up back here. It is said that the grass is always greener on the other side; but really the grass is greener where you water it.

When you go to another country, vacation is not a good gauge of whether you like the location or not. You are in tourist/vacation mode, you don't have to do your normal everyday activites like shopping, car registration, home repair, the daily, weekly, monthly grocery shopping. That was one thing I realized when we moved to Italy, the first few weeks while we were apartment hunting was like being on vacation. Everything was easy, we ate out every night, we had hotel room service, laundry, housekeeping. Then we got into our apartment and I immediately realized how much different things are for your day to day activities. I looked at things that I used to complain about in the U.S. as being inefficent and redundant and found things worse, but on the same note I found other things to be far better. At the end of the day everywhere you go has it's pros and cons. Someone else said it above, if you have the financial means and stability, get an apartment for 6 months and see how you like it, find the pros and cons and see how it weighs out against being in your current location.

Whatever you choose, good luck to you. If you end up in California, let me know, we still go down to the L.A. area all the time.

Well said.

Props for moving to Italy, even for a little bit.

Curious what Sprite has to say about all this...

This. This sums up what I was thinking and trying to type down but english isn't my first language so you did it better :)

I wonder if more people think this way EVEN if they live in cooler worldcities (not Gotham of course, no one would want to leave there)

Jirre,

The main thing is to live near all the action, but not IN all the action-IMO. You don't want to live in a Spring Break atmosphere 100% of the time as one of two things will happen-you will become a RAGING alcoholic and/or worse or you will end up moving back home. Some peoe can party every single weekend an a couple nights a week and be 100% fine at work. Problem with Miami and NYC is that lifestyle can and will consume you, and at a very expensive price. I would Remember-everything in moderation.

If you want to move to Miami, send me a PM, and ill send you my new email address.

I LOVED Miami, absolutely loved but I would be totally borke after 3 months, lol! I love partying and all, but I think (hope?!) that my lifestyle will change once Megan Fox gives into to me and marries me and give birth to a couple of Bruce Wayne's.

You KNOW I'm comming back bro, it's just a matter of time! The question is for how long and when..

I would imagine it's just human nature to get tired of something over time. It happens to me all the time. Yeah Ohio isnt the most exciting by any means but I can be happy anywhere as long as I surround myself with the right people in the right enviorment. Think it goes along with the saying no matter how hot a chick is there is some guy somewhere that is tired of her BS and or tired of fcuking her. Same goes for where one lives I would think.... but this is just my .02.

You probably just miss your R8 Jirre!!!

Yeah, we get sick of cars, girls, clothes and even food (not kebab though!) so why not of cities right? But are people like me living in shitholes more sick of out environments than people living in NYC, that is one of the things I wonder?

And yeah, I miss the R8 Spyder as hell :(

Living in too small of a town -- if it bothers you, it is for a good reason.

I agree, but why exactly is it so, any ideas?

How exactly are american laws, can i just move there for 6-12 months and not need anything else than my passport as I do on a regular vacation? I remember Sprite had to leave after finisihing school?

If anything, he'll at least have a chance to meet you!

Don't count on it... :icon_butt:

I would be an alcoholic if I had to live there...

Trust me, I'm almost there.

Plus our weather sucks, we had the worst summer in 60 years.. Like 2-3 weeks with good weather, that's it, now it is all downhill again for 6-9 months..

How you feel inside definitely matters and you'll never know if you would enjoy living in another place until you try. You're lucky it's financially viable for you to try different cities and countries, most don't have that luxury, so take advantage of it... nothing like a new city, new spots to check out, new friends to make and new girls to bed. :icon_thumleft:

I love to read this and I really feel tempted to do it!! Aarrrghhh!!

Like if it doesn't work out in Miami, you can move North and stalk Megan Fox's parents which live 2-3 hours north in Fort Pierce.

O rly? Where exactly :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen:

Guys,

Happiness comes from within not from without, young padawan. Desire not of what is in absence; embrace that of which is yours. That said, 60mg Fluoxetine and 7.5mg Zopiclone chased with a stiff double will smooth out the rough spots.