iPhone 5!

Robster Craws

as for features, iphone is never about new features. it's all about features that work better easily.

apple will get my business again. after trying samsung galaxy, i got tired of apps that launch itself, battery that dies after 8 hrs of minimal usage, wifi that doesn't auto connect, and phone self shut off. basically, i just want a phone that works. all the features in the world makes little sense if the phone doesn't work.

btw, why can't android phone's OS be updated? i have tried updating several times on varoious android successfully. it's automatic for iphone with a synch. effortless in comparison.

Can you name some of the features that "work better easily"

which galaxy did you have? I have a GS3 and its been running for 8 hours with 80% battery left, always on 4G.

I have never had apps launch themselves, Wifi always autoconnects on all the android phones I have had, and none of my the android phones i have "self shut off". I am confident that my experience more closely resembles the 53% of all smartphone owners on Android.

Android updates come to the phone instead of having to use a computer and cable like iOS and with android updates you get the latest features, Where as iOS 5 has Siri, but only for the newest phone. Everyone else gets the cold shoulder. The update is worthless because it brings nothing new to the phone. With andoird the updates bring real functionality and features.

You hear it all the time because it is true. I have both and they are nowhere near the same when it comes to bugs, glitches and crashes.

I have dozens of friends who have made the leap from die hard Apple to Android and couldn't be happier, including myself. Apple's phones have their flaws, but their whole method of doing things is awful. Using any phone is simple but iTunes and all their formats are awful. When I had an iPhone I was looking for iTunes alternatives and left as soon as I found something else. No one ever mentions that you always have to sync your iphone with the same computer, or that it wants to take 45 mins to back up the whole phone just to add one song as it tries to push 8GB through an antiquated cable. I guess its true saying the process might be easy, but it wastes so much time and resources. I haven;t seen the format .m4a since i left iOS and am grateful.

I'll give it a try if I can get it sim unlocked for Tmobile and truely get 4g on Tmobile. I always used and love Android but this looks nice to try, you have to admit phones are like cars and looks has a part in your decision to purchase as do function of course.

Resale value on anything used is excellent, and if you buy new you wont get all your money back but most, this is true with all high end phones, iOS or android. Btw, the phone does NOT support tmobile 3g/4g bands.

:iamwithstupid:

Agree, and am tired of the anti-apple rhetoric being displayed once again in this thread.

Hovik's "Ferrari" analogy is spot on...buy an iPhone once and you'll never pay for another again. They're all "free" past that first point, because the resale value is so high on the older units, particularly if you take a few minutes to unlock your old one before selling it.

So they're free, they work well, have kick-ass design, and are relatively simple to use. Case closed, enough with the hate.

As for the iPhone 5, I don't see anything particularly compelling about it versus its competition, but guess what...it's free because the resale value on the 4S is so high, just like all the others have been. So I'll be grabbing one by the end of the month.

Pretty simple, and one of the major reasons why they're absolutely dominating.

I find apple lovers always get defensive when their product is criticized. Hoviks Ferrari analogy is absolutely spot on, but it can also be extended to the top tier android phones, the resale value is exactly what you described, and in a lot of cases higher than an iPhone. A GS3 on amazon on sale for $99 bucks will easily go for $450-500. I searched for a GS3 for 4 weeks in three different states and couldn't find one for $450. A month!

People need to stop buying Android phones with custom skins and junk. You need to buy the stock Android handsets that Google sells. They are sooooo much better than anything else. Even the Galaxy SIII is meh imo. I've been playing with my friends and I find it terribly cluttered and ugly.

Tell me about it! I have a GS3 and it has exceptional hardware but coming from a stock android device, I wasn't delighted with the touch wiz. I quickly installed a launcher from the app store to hold me over till a rom is available. The problem is people base their opinions on the freebie android device that their work game them for when they are on call, and then compare it to the $200 dollar iphone they bought. Generalizations are a form of ignorance.

Apple devices are for people that want extremely easy to use (read: no learning curve whatsoever), simple, one-note designs, and a one-tiered system so learning one way is the only way.

Not everyone wants to learn how to use, they just want to use. Apple devices are perfect for them.

I like uniqueness. I like the abilty to tweak to my heart's content. I like not being trapped in a proprietary and closed-system bubble. I like being able to pick a device that suits my needs. I like building my own, etc. These reasons are why Apples devices have never been for me, but are perfect for those that just want to get in, hit start, and go.

I agree with your description and recommend iPhones regularly for certain types of users. iPhone are like shoes with Velcro straps instead of laces, you're not going to hurt yourself.

Except that an unlocked/jailbroken iPhone can be "tweaked" to the full extent that any other device can...the best of both worlds.

The iOS platform is extremly limited. Its core apps are awful. The email is antiquated at best. it doesn't run multiple apps at the same time, it doesn't have good google integration. Jailbreaking doesn't remedy any of those problems.

I don't hate Apple, their system and methods just don't appeal to me. I have no brand loyalty. I change phones about once a year and go towards what I like best at the time of purchase. I'm a huge tech nerd that likes getting his hands dirty and out of the big four, I am getting the dirtiest with Android.

This describes me to the letter. To each their own.

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This describes me to the letter. To each their own.

The one statement in your post that's accurate. We agree. :icon_mrgreen:

iEvil Empire for the win.

Samsung is garbage , Apple makes good shit ! Love it or hate it.

The newer Samsungs are actually pretty impressive, but Apple's overall package (hardware specs/cosmetics) are tough to beat. That part they get right most of the time.

Really it's a game of constant one-upmanship, with Apple estabslishing a trend and the competition pushing to surpass it with subsequent releases (both software and hardware).

A definite example of competition pushing the overall bar higher for everyone's benefit. :icon_thumleft:

My first time preordering... Do I need to wait until midnight pacific (3am eastern) to get one or will I be able to preorder at a reasonable hour (6:30 eastern) that day?

apple will get my business again. after trying samsung galaxy, i got tired of apps that launch itself, battery that dies after 8 hrs of minimal usage, wifi that doesn't auto connect, and phone self shut off.

I have a Galaxy SII and a Galaxy SIII and none of what you mentioned has happened to either one of them.

I must say I'm not sure about the battery life though because I have them on my charger in my office or the car charger when I'm driving just out of habit.

Also not sure about the WIFI? I have the wifi turned on all the time and it connects at home automatically, not so sure about hotspots, I doubt it with that but I don't really care because I have a 6GB data package.

The problem is and always has been that iPhone converts buy a 99 dollar android phone then complain when it doesn't work as well as the 599 dollar iPhone. I've only owned Nexus devices and an S3 and NEVER a problem.

The problem is and always has been that iPhone converts buy a 99 dollar android phone then complain when it doesn't work as well as the 599 dollar iPhone. I've only owned Nexus devices and an S3 and NEVER a problem.

I have a nexus, always bought nothing but nexus, and i have experience most of the problems mentioned here. Both OS have pros and cons, just depends on what you need it for. I personally use both OS for different reasons. But if I had to depend on one, I would go with iOS.

I know I'd never change anyone's opinion. You like what you like, but I'm FAR more intrigued by the upcoming Galaxy Note II than I am by basically the same iPhone that's been out for how many years now.

http://androidcommunity.com/samsung-galaxy...one-5-20120912/

We've had a Note in the house for about six months now and love it.

It's huge for a pocket, just a touch too big for most, but the size of the screen really is fantastic. It's like a mini-iPad, which makes you wonder why Apple is even bothering to bring out a 7" iPad later this year...

Great phone for specific needs.

I find it funny when android fans invade an apple thread to gripe ad nauseum about apple. Seriously, who gives a fcuk?

Here is a summary of their points:

1. Android let's you customize stuff. Widgets!

2. OMG, android had that feature two years ago!

3. My screen is bigger.

4. Apple claims they invented stuff and then sues people.

5. I don't see anything so revolutionary.

The android arguments are very similar to corvette folks telling you why a 911 sucks. Meanwhile they're driving a plastic car (hardware) with a low rent interior (laggy/fragmented OS).

*runs off to preorder iPhone 5

Who cares what it looks like or how thin/light it is if everyone is going to put ugly rubber cases around them to protect the screen. Everyone I know has their smartphone in a case, thus the design is of little importance.

I don't.

Smartphone wars are just about as pointless as east coast west coast rapper wars and as subjective as rooting for one team or another in any sports... whatever floats your boat.

I personally like how customizable my S3 is. My home screen when I turn my phone on looks unique and is set up by me to fill my needs and fit into my life. Something I can't say about iPhones, which regardless of what model you have, be it from 2007 or brand new 5 will look exactly the same.

It's undeniable that Apple does a fantastic job with iPhones and their popularity speaks volumes about how good they are. I'll pick one up and see what it's like, good thing is if I decide I don't want to keep it I can sell it for around the same money. It's almost like buying a Ferrari... lol

Apple makes good shit ! Love it or hate it.

(This doesn't take away the fact that the GTR still sucks though) :icon_mrgreen:

I will be getting the 5 as soon as I can get my hands on it!

I know I'd never change anyone's opinion. You like what you like, but I'm FAR more intrigued by the upcoming Galaxy Note II than I am by basically the same iPhone that's been out for how many years now.

http://androidcommunity.com/samsung-galaxy...one-5-20120912/

I have been waiting for this for 6 months! I'm gonna pre-order it asap! I'm just waiting for the 64GB! Hopefully this will release at the same time as the 16GB (only one that is available for pre-order here ATM). 128 gigs of storage for 720P movies on a 5,5" screen - EPIC.

I agree with everything zishan malik said. Well put. I can't understand how anyone would go for an Apple product over the competition. They brought something new and great with the FIRST iPhone, everything after that has just played on that first release. No Apple, you don't have superior products, no your iOS is not more user friendly then the competition. It's just something people have gotten USED to, since the iPhone was the first REAL GOOD smart phone everyone, that could afford one, bought one. They showed their friends, that loved it and the ball has been rolling ever since.

My GF had every iPhone (except the first one), and she wanted my old Desire HD over her iPhone4, and she just got a Galaxy Note 3 months ago. Now her iPhone4 is collecting dust. Galaxy S3, Note2 etc are game changers. iPhones are sub-par phones now. They aren't even competing with the top android phones and they are still one of the most expensive phones on the market. They even build their phones to break so they can make more money. Why on EARTH would you put glass on the back of an iPhone? They break all the time. Changing to a different plug? Really?

I find it funny when android fans invade an apple thread to gripe ad nauseum about apple. Seriously, who gives a fcuk?

The android arguments are very similar to corvette folks telling you why a 911 sucks. Meanwhile they're driving a plastic car (hardware) with a low rent interior (laggy/fragmented OS).

*runs off to preorder iPhone 5

Yupp, Apple makes all the HW in house :lol2:

Corvette to a 911? :lol2:

Most of the top android phones use metal and glass, same as an iPhone. I have seen SEVERAL iPhones with broken screens/backs, yet I have to see ONE top android phone with a broken glass in real life.

Also the "lag" has been fixed in Jelly Bean. http://www.android.com/whatsnew/

This thread makes me laugh.

Really? my phone is better than yours battle? :lol2:

This is just one of life's mysteries to me. Seriously!

But it is also an answer to another: Why is Apple one of the biggest company's in the world? Well, my post just explained it. They sell average priced products for top dollar and have a cult following. Please Apple, tell me your secret! How do you do it? :D

That's not it Vilhelm it is because they are the best at what they do and I am not talking about phones here!

Iit's not a cult at all, my mom and all her friends aren't part of any firkin cult, none of the millions of users that have iPhones aren't part of any cult, when are you guys going to get it?

Apple services a mostly uncatered for section of the market, the largest section of the market, a section comprised mostly of technology iliterate or challenged :icon_mrgreen: (for lack of a better terms).

Apple fulfills a need, the need for simple to use intuitive technology that simply works and it's packaged nicely and neatly, a network of hardware that's simple and easy to use by people who think Jailbreak means that someone just broke out of prison.

Apple found a niche in the market and they are marketing and selling the crap out of it, it's not rocket science, it is very simple, usually great ideas and business moves are.

Phones easy to use by the masses that know nothing or very little about technology, which as I said constitutes the largest part of the market.

You spoon feed them this easy and simple to use gadget they will buy the crap out of it, do you think my mom cares that your android is faster, transfers songs quicker than the iPhone etc etc ? Not in a million years she doesn't use 75% of the iPhones features and she will never shop for another brand, you know why? because the one she has works, the only thing she cares is that she can easily make a phone call send a text message and share photos of her grandchildren, do you know how many users like my mom are out there? Millions!

Apple has all these people, do you still want them to tell you their secret ? :icon_mrgreen:

Sorry to drag this out Fortis, I know it's getting old :icon_mrgreen:

But I just wonder, what is so much more intuitive and easy about an iPhone versus Android or Windows Phone for that matter?

You tap an icon and something starts on all the devices. Calling, texting, mailing, taking pictures, installing apps and sharing are done pretty much the same way.

and yet most people prefer the iPhone :icon_mrgreen:

I am not comparing phones here I am far from being qualified to do so, I am only expressing my opinion on Apple's success.

The original iPhone made technology not seem scary to people that knew nothing about computers, Apple targeted them, marketed to them, these customers don't know any better they will not look anywhere else providing that their needs are being met and Apple does a brilliant job at keeping these people happy by keeping everything very familiar but at the same time making everything that much better.

I had to use the crappy Samsung Galaxy Note for 2 months and it was a very tough experience. It's too big for a phone, can't carry in pocket easily, had it's screen cracked when I sit while it was in my back pockets.. I'm afraid this new iPhone design will be more fragile because it's longer, must be more careful when you put it in your pockets..

That's not it Vilhelm it is because they are the best at what they do and I am not talking about phones here!

Iit's not a cult at all, my mom and all her friends aren't part of any firkin cult, none of the millions of users that have iPhones aren't part of any cult, when are you guys going to get it?

Apple services a mostly uncatered for section of the market, the largest section of the market, a section comprised mostly of technology iliterate or challenged :icon_mrgreen: (for lack of a better terms).

Apple fulfills a need, the need for simple to use intuitive technology that simply works and it's packaged nicely and neatly, a network of hardware that's simple and easy to use by people who think Jailbreak means that someone just broke out of prison.

Apple found a niche in the market and they are marketing and selling the crap out of it, it's not rocket science, it is very simple, usually great ideas and business moves are.

Phones easy to use by the masses that know nothing or very little about technology, which as I said constitutes the largest part of the market.

You spoon feed them this easy and simple to use gadget they will buy the crap out of it, do you think my mom cares that your android is faster, transfers songs quicker than the iPhone etc etc ? Not in a million years she doesn't use 75% of the iPhones features and she will never shop for another brand, you know why? because the one she has works, the only thing she cares is that she can easily make a phone call send a text message and share photos of her grandchildren, do you know how many users like my mom are out there? Millions!

Apple has all these people, do you still want them to tell you their secret ? :icon_mrgreen:

Like I said previously, iPhone was the BOMB when it came out, so to millions it is the "go-to" smart phone. This is a reason the iPhone is so popular. Hell, even I was about to order a smart phone and the first thought that came into my mind was "iPhone". I told my friend about it on chat and he said "What the hell are you doing, iPhone, really?", then I asked "Who else makes smart phones that are as good as an iPhone?". He showed me the Desire HD (at the time one of the best Android phones), and the choice was easy. Even to me, who loves techs and gadgets, I didn't know about any other good smart phone at the time. I came right from a BB Bold. After reading up on the Desire HD vs iPhone and it was OBVIOUS by a long shot what the choice would be.

Android has come a LONG way from the early stages and is now JUST as usable as iOS. If you want to do more customization with Android later, do what ever the hell you want, but out of the box it is just as capable and just as easy as iOS to setup and use.

Apple is not "easier". We have, unfortunately, Apple computers at work and I find Win 7 A LOT easier to use. It has nothing to do with "brilliant" design. It has to do with going with what you know works, without opening your eyes. The thing that surprises me is people who KNOW what else is out there and STILL get a sub-par phone with a HUGE mark up and stupid connectors to get the consumer to buy adapters etc. Good for stock holders, bad for consumers.

Fortis, Apple sells expensive products, whether it is laptops or phones. Look at similar products to the MacBook Air. Way better hardware, look more or less identical and they cost half the price. This is what Apple does. They sell the consumer the idea that Apple is so great, put in sub-par HW and sell it for ridiculous prices. They are marketing GODS.

If they were in the auto industry they would get a VW Golf, put in some leather seats and an Apple badge, give it a special gas filling cap (so you need an adapter to put in gas), lock up the whole car so you need to go to a shop to open the hood and sell it for 2x the original price. That's Apple products for you and that's why they a TON OF CASH.

Ok so now if I say that I don't care for the android and I like Apple where does this leave us? Who is right and who is wrong? What will the going of backwards and forwards achieve ? Just curious.