iPhone 5!

Robster Craws

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Comparing it to my HTC One X.

It's got a smaller screen (4" vs 4.7"), a C-Hair thinner (0.050"), and is 13g lighter (give or take 10 average paperclips difference).

Oh, and it's 3x the price.

These guys are fcuking high.

Made entirely of glass and aluminum, Schiller said the new version of Apple's flagship device is 18 percent thinner than before and 20 percent lighter than the 4S. It sports a larger, 4-inch screen, meaning the company could fit in an extra row of icons.

It's also compatible with several new wireless networks, including HSPA+, DC-HSDPA, and LTE, meaning the iPhone can finally match the wireless speeds of competing products such as the Samsung Galaxy line. And the iPhone 5 is twice as fast as the 4S, Schiller said, thanks to a smaller, faster processor called the A6.

The new phone sports an 8MP camera, similar to earlier models, but it has better low-light performance and faster image captures. Schiller showed off a photograph captured by the new phone that he said was 28 megapixels.

"Here's pictures from the iPhone 5. These are from the camera... untouched," an apparent reference to Nokia, which was called out last week for faking images from its flagship Lumia 920 phone.

But not everything about the new phone is sure to delight. Schiller confirmed the rumors that had alarmed millions of fans prior to the release of the phone: The old dock connector is going away.

"A lot has changed and it's time for the connector to evolve," he said. The smaller new connector uses fewer pins and is reversible; to use old devices such as speaker docks with the new phone will require an adapter named "Lightning."

The iPhone 5 will run a new version of the software, deemed IOS6. It contains mapping software with turn by turn directions and satellite imagery, a fullscreen version of the Safari web browser and an improved version of the Siri voice-control system.

"We think you're going to love it," said Scott Forstall, senior vice president of software for the company.

"It's an amazing time at Apple," Cook said to begin the show, noting that 83 million visitors popped by their local Apple stores and over 7 million people downloaded the latest operating system update, Mountain Lion. The company sold 17 million iPads last quarter, Cook said.

"[Apple] sold more iPads than any PC manufacturer sold of their entire PC line," Cook told the crowd -- 84 million as of June.

The new iPhone will ship on Sept. 21; IOS will be available Sept. 19.

The back looks fantastic - And I'm hoping it doesn't scratch easy...

I'm thinking it'll scratch easier than the glass but it shouldn't be too bad. I wonder what customization options will be out there? For example, my iPhone right now is completely red. I wonder how I could do that with this new back design.

But not everything about the new phone is sure to delight. Schiller confirmed the rumors that had alarmed millions of fans prior to the release of the phone: The old dock connector is going away.

"A lot has changed and it's time for the connector to evolve," he said. The smaller new connector uses fewer pins and is reversible; to use old devices such as speaker docks with the new phone will require an adapter named "Lightning."

God damn it...

Who cares what it looks like or how thin/light it is if everyone is going to put ugly rubber cases around them to protect the screen. Everyone I know has their smartphone in a case, thus the design is of little importance.

The fact that the charge connector changed has soured me on the whole product.

I have no intention, nor desire to get an Iphone5 for that one simple reason.

Should have either kept it the same, or moved to the standard the rest of the cell phone industry adopted together 2 years ago.

Having a new separate, proprietary port is just.... greedy.

The fact that the charge connector changed has soured me on the whole product.

I have no intention, nor desire to get an Iphone5 for that one simple reason.

Should have either kept it the same, or moved to the standard the rest of the cell phone industry adopted together 2 years ago.

Having a new separate, proprietary port is just.... greedy.

:iamwithstupid:

Monoprice.com will be your friend. Aftermarket, son. Aftermarket!

It may take a little while. Apple is not outsourcing the connector at first so it will only be available from apple in single or a 5 pack. Old cords will need the adapter.

There is nothing revolutionary about this new phone, but my 3gs is a dinosuar. Maybe I should check out the samsung in the meantime so see if it's time to go away from apple's phone.

Who cares what it looks like or how thin/light it is if everyone is going to put ugly rubber cases around them to protect the screen. Everyone I know has their smartphone in a case, thus the design is of little importance.

I don't use a case :) I go raw!

Do they plan on saying anything regarding price for the connector for the old docks to lighting or can I assume it will be at least 40-50 bucks?.... They've also extended the lighting connector to the new iPod's. I'll probably wind up upgrading but that fan boy vibe i've had for years is wearing off quickly now.

On verizon?

Yes.

Is it too early to camp out in front of the Apple store yet? I gotta be the first!

Already camping! Jk :D . I should try to catch one of the lines WOZ is going to be in, would be epic. Never done that before.

I'm with Sprite. Ordering the 32GB in all black Friday.

Welcome to last year, Apple. No quad core. No NFC, but it's got a thinner camera! And... And... It's the thinnest smartphone evar! Except the Razr MAXX is thinner. But there's a panorama mode now! Like every other phone for the last 3 years. iFail. Apple is now to the point where they're playing catch up to the other handset makers out there.

interesting comments...

connector has little importance to me. it's basically used for charging and i am sure there will be adaptors for those that still dock.

as for features, iphone is never about new features. it's all about features that work better easily. all the talks about NFC etc makes no sense to me since I don't know anyone really using them.

apple will get my business again. after trying samsung galaxy, i got tired of apps that launch itself, battery that dies after 8 hrs of minimal usage, wifi that doesn't auto connect, and phone self shut off. basically, i just want a phone that works. all the features in the world makes little sense if the phone doesn't work.

btw, why can't android phone's OS be updated? i have tried updating several times on varoious android successfully. it's automatic for iphone with a synch. effortless in comparison.

interesting comments...

connector has little importance to me. it's basically used for charging and i am sure there will be adaptors for those that still dock.

as for features, iphone is never about new features. it's all about features that work better easily. all the talks about NFC etc makes no sense to me since I don't know anyone really using them.

apple will get my business again. after trying samsung galaxy, i got tired of apps that launch itself, battery that dies after 8 hrs of minimal usage, wifi that doesn't auto connect, and phone self shut off. basically, i just want a phone that works. all the features in the world makes little sense if the phone doesn't work.

This.

Yes.

Already camping! Jk :D . I should try to catch one of the lines WOZ is going to be in, would be epic. Never done that before.

I'm with Sprite. Ordering the 32GB in all black Friday.

I think they usually go to the Palo Alto store. That's where Steve used to show up. Of course if Steve shows up this time it'd be pretty creepy.

Welcome to last year, Apple. No quad core. No NFC, but it's got a thinner camera! And... And... It's the thinnest smartphone evar! Except the Razr MAXX is thinner. But there's a panorama mode now! Like every other phone for the last 3 years. iFail. Apple is now to the point where they're playing catch up to the other handset makers out there.

Pretty much, here I was actually hoping they would seriously step up their game to at least raise the bar a bit. At this point they just broke even with the existing competition, at a much higher price point.

Smash cut to 4-6 months from now, new batch of android phones come out and skull fcuk apple once again.

btw, why can't android phone's OS be updated? i have tried updating several times on varoious android successfully. it's automatic for iphone with a synch. effortless in comparison.

If your phone hardware is up to the minimum requirements, it should auto-update the OS when they become available. You get a prompt to update (incase you don't want to), give it permission, and it will download/install in a couple minutes.