iPhone 5!

Robster Craws

as for features, iphone is never about new features. it's all about features that work better easily. all the talks about NFC etc makes no sense to me since I don't know anyone really using them.

apple will get my business again. after trying samsung galaxy, i got tired of apps that launch itself, battery that dies after 8 hrs of minimal usage, wifi that doesn't auto connect, and phone self shut off. basically, i just want a phone that works. all the features in the world makes little sense if the phone doesn't work.

btw, why can't android phone's OS be updated? i have tried updating several times on varoious android successfully. it's automatic for iphone with a synch. effortless in comparison.

Why do I hear this all the time? So many people say "I just want a phone that works" like iPhones never fail, never crashes, never have bugs or any issues. iPhones have just as many problems as any other phone, both regarding hardware and software. Heck, a friend just bought a brand new 4S where the headphone output didn't work. If you install a bad app, don't blame it on Android... Yes they lack the quality check of App Store, but you get a lot more options when it comes to functionality.

And my mother managed to update her Galaxy, that says a lot... :icon_thumleft: Android updates are published and made by the phone manufacturers though, and to be fair some of them do a bad job.

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do I hear this all the time? So many people say "I just want a phone that works" like iPhones never fail, never crashes, never have bugs or any issues. iPhones have just as many problems as any other phone, both regarding hardware and software.

You hear it all the time because it is true. I have both and they are nowhere near the same when it comes to bugs, glitches and crashes.

I'll give it a try if I can get it sim unlocked for Tmobile and truely get 4g on Tmobile. I always used and love Android but this looks nice to try, you have to admit phones are like cars and looks has a part in your decision to purchase as do function of course.

You hear it all the time because it is true. I have both and they are nowhere near the same when it comes to bugs, glitches and crashes.

Maybe something to do with the fact that iPhones are made by one company and their operating system is completely unique and used ONLY on their products, while Android is on sooo many different devices by so many different manufacturers that it would be difficult to count.

Smartphone wars are just about as pointless as east coast west coast rapper wars and as subjective as rooting for one team or another in any sports... whatever floats your boat.

I personally like how customizable my S3 is. My home screen when I turn my phone on looks unique and is set up by me to fill my needs and fit into my life. Something I can't say about iPhones, which regardless of what model you have, be it from 2007 or brand new 5 will look exactly the same.

It's undeniable that Apple does a fantastic job with iPhones and their popularity speaks volumes about how good they are. I'll pick one up and see what it's like, good thing is if I decide I don't want to keep it I can sell it for around the same money. It's almost like buying a Ferrari... lol

I'm up for a new phone (with Verizon) in the next few months. I have a Samsung Droid Charge (4G) right now, and am looking forward to an upgrade. I must say, though, it seems like the screen quality (retina display) and probably the camera quality are the new iPhone's two main selling points. Not at all thrilled about the fact that it's got a small (and skinnier) screen than the top Droid products, has LAME battery life compared to some, and looks exactly the same as it's looked for the past 150 years (combined with the fact that it's not customizeable at all). My overall reaction: "Meh."

So far it's between the Droid Razr HD (or Razr HD Maxx) and the Galaxy S3 for me. The Razr HD's haven't hit stores yet, so I look forward to checking one out when they do, but the Galaxy S3 looks *sweet* from what fiddling with it I've done so far.

Maybe something to do with the fact that iPhones are made by one company and their operating system is completely unique and used ONLY on their products, while Android is on sooo many different devices by so many different manufacturers that it would be difficult to count.

Smartphone wars are just about as pointless as east coast west coast rapper wars and as subjective as rooting for one team or another in any sports... whatever floats your boat.

I personally like how customizable my S3 is. My home screen when I turn my phone on looks unique and is set up by me to fill my needs and fit into my life. Something I can't say about iPhones, which regardless of what model you have, be it from 2007 or brand new 5 will look exactly the same.

It's undeniable that Apple does a fantastic job with iPhones and their popularity speaks volumes about how good they are. I'll pick one up and see what it's like, good thing is if I decide I don't want to keep it I can sell it for around the same money. It's almost like buying a Ferrari... lol

:iamwithstupid:

Agree, and am tired of the anti-apple rhetoric being displayed once again in this thread.

Hovik's "Ferrari" analogy is spot on...buy an iPhone once and you'll never pay for another again. They're all "free" past that first point, because the resale value is so high on the older units, particularly if you take a few minutes to unlock your old one before selling it.

So they're free, they work well, have kick-ass design, and are relatively simple to use. Case closed, enough with the hate.

As for the iPhone 5, I don't see anything particularly compelling about it versus its competition, but guess what...it's free because the resale value on the 4S is so high, just like all the others have been. So I'll be grabbing one by the end of the month.

Pretty simple, and one of the major reasons why they're absolutely dominating.

People need to stop buying Android phones with custom skins and junk. You need to buy the stock Android handsets that Google sells. They are sooooo much better than anything else. Even the Galaxy SIII is meh imo. I've been playing with my friends and I find it terribly cluttered and ugly. Their skinning is garbage just like everyone else.

I have a Google Galaxy Nexus. It lasts several days before needing a charge and I have never had it crash or throw errors. Has Google's latest OS and I find it to be superior to the iPhone in almost every way based on my experience with my iPod touch and my gf's iPhone 4S. I will also get all the OS updates as soon as they are ready more or less, much like Apple does with iOS.

$349 brand new, carrier unlocked, and stock Android. Can't beat that.

Apple devices are for people that want extremely easy to use (read: no learning curve whatsoever), simple, one-note designs, and a one-tiered system so learning one way is the only way.

Not everyone wants to learn how to use, they just want to use. Apple devices are perfect for them.

I like uniqueness. I like the abilty to tweak to my heart's content. I like not being trapped in a proprietary and closed-system bubble. I like being able to pick a device that suits my needs. I like building my own, etc. These reasons are why Apples devices have never been for me, but are perfect for those that just want to get in, hit start, and go.

Apple devices are for people that want extremely easy to use (read: no learning curve whatsoever), simple, one-note designs, and a one-tiered system so learning one way is the only way.

Not everyone wants to learn how to use, they just want to use. Apple devices are perfect for them.

I like uniqueness. I like the abilty to tweak to my heart's content. I like not being trapped in a proprietary and closed-system bubble. I like being able to pick a device that suits my needs. I like building my own, etc. These reasons are why Apples devices have never been for me, but are perfect for those that just want to get in, hit start, and go.

Except that an unlocked/jailbroken iPhone can be "tweaked" to the full extent that any other device can...the best of both worlds.

People need to stop buying Android phones with custom skins and junk. You need to buy the stock Android handsets that Google sells. They are sooooo much better than anything else.

I have a Google Galaxy Nexus. It lasts several days before needing a charge and I have never had it crash or throw errors. Has Google's latest OS and I find it to be superior to the iPhone in almost every way based on my experience with my iPod touch and my gf's iPhone 4S.

$349 brand new and carried unlocked. Can't beat that.

If I were in the Android market this would be the road I'd take, it just seems like people are always happiest with the Nexus units. Particularly if it has none of those rediculous add-on skins or layers slapped on it.

Agree, and am tired of the anti-apple rhetoric being displayed once again in this thread.
I'm not anti Apple, I'm anti those who proclaim everything Apple is infallible. They make good phones, but with a lot of limitations. And if the resell value of your old 4S is so high, why would anyone buy that and not the new 5?

I'm not anti Apple, I'm anti those who proclaim everything Apple is infallible. They make good phones, but with a lot of limitations. And if the resell value of your old 4S is so high, why would anyone buy that and not the new 5?

My comments weren't directed specifically at you flaccid, fyi. But you do have an axe to grind with Apple apparantly, as no one had made any "infallible" comments in this thread to justify your posts. L-Power members know what's up, they don't need to be lectured about how they're clueless sheep falling yet again for the Apple kool-aid. :eusa_dance:

As for the money question, there are a few reasons why the iPhone resale value is so high, particularly because Apple still refuses to sell them in certain hot spots around the world where demand is high, but the truth is that it simply doesn't matter why they sell for what they do...they just do. :icon_mrgreen:

I'll sell my 4S for $300+, and go buy a 5 on launch day for the exact same price. Just as I've done three times previously over the past four years.

Win. :icon_thumleft:

I'll sell my 4S for $300+, and go buy a 5 on launch day for the exact same price.

Well that's smart... for you! Gotta be running a lot of less smart apple fans around there :P

There is nothing really new about the phone. You get a bigger display which should have happened 2 years ago. This is what I was waiting for, time for a Samsung Galaxy S3.

Agree, and I've said this in previous Apple threads (which most posters disagreed with).

Basically there's nowhere left for the hardware to go that will ellicit a dramatic "must-have-it" response from sharp consumers. Cosmetic changes yes, actual breakthroughs, no.

You can endlessly go thinner/lighter/smaller/faster, but at the end of the day those aren't features anyone loses their shit about.

I have a Google Galaxy Nexus. It lasts several days before needing a charge and I have never had it crash or throw errors. Has Google's latest OS and I find it to be superior to the iPhone in almost every way based on my experience with my iPod touch and my gf's iPhone 4S. I will also get all the OS updates as soon as they are ready more or less, much like Apple does with iOS.

$349 brand new, carrier unlocked, and stock Android. Can't beat that.

Agree with everything you said except for the battery life on the GNexus. You must sleep a lot. Like 22 hours a day. :icon_mrgreen: Seriously, I thought the battery life was pretty much universally known as somewhat of a weak point, although you can get through a day with it if you're not on it constantly. But "several days" I've never heard of. Batteries are cheap though and I usually carry a charged spare if I'm on the road or something, and I love the phone.

Except that an unlocked/jailbroken iPhone can be "tweaked" to the full extent that any other device can...the best of both worlds.

True, though not quite to the level of an Android device.

I know of many that moved to an iPhone because they couldn't "figure out" an Android phone and are quite happy with how much easier the iPhone is to use, and there is nothing wrong with that. These same individuals would also never drive a manually-shifted car or build their own computers. They like that the phone essentially does it all for them with a click or two. This is how I perceive the majority of iPhone users. Obviously there are those like you (I assume you, since you mentioned jailbreaking) that like the phone for other reasons beyond the simplistic nature and do jailbreak it as soon as they can, but I am pretty sure the greater whole are in it for that ease of use. Then there are those that like being in that Apple bubble while everyone else is outside of it, and will buy an Apple devices sight and spec unseen, but that is a whole other thing.

I don't hate Apple, their system and methods just don't appeal to me. I have no brand loyalty. I change phones about once a year and go towards what I like best at the time of purchase. I'm a huge tech nerd that likes getting his hands dirty and out of the big four, I am getting the dirtiest with Android.

True, though not quite to the level of an Android device.

Close enough for 99.9% of even the "tech-nerd" population who likes to "get dirty"...as I do myself (build all of my own PCs, root all devices, etc).

The rest is splitting hairs.

Really all of the old cliches from three years ago no longer apply thanks to a Billion+ people now owning smartphones, and misusing them equally. The whole "Apple is for morons herp derp, Android is for teh smartest users like me herp derp" stuff is really played out and inaccurate now based on the numbers.

These days they're BOTH owned by hundreds of millions of true imbeciles equally. :icon_mrgreen:

Close enough for 99.9% of even the "tech-nerd" population who likes to "get dirty"...as I do myself (build all of my own PCs, root all devices, etc).

The rest is splitting hairs.

Really all of the old cliches from three years ago no longer apply thanks to a Billion+ people now owning smartphones, and misusing them equally. The whole "Apple is for morons herp derp, Android is for teh smartest users like me herp derp" stuff is really played out and inaccurate now based on the numbers.

These days they're BOTH owned by hundreds of millions of true imbeciles equally. :icon_mrgreen:

Ha!!

Okay, I can't disagree with that.

Agree with everything you said except for the battery life on the GNexus. You must sleep a lot. Like 22 hours a day. :icon_mrgreen: Seriously, I thought the battery life was pretty much universally known as somewhat of a weak point, although you can get through a day with it if you're not on it constantly. But "several days" I've never heard of. Batteries are cheap though and I usually carry a charged spare if I'm on the road or something, and I love the phone.

I dunno. Guess I'm not a typical user. Use it mainly to make phone calls and send text messages. I keep it on 2G, disable data, and turn wifi off unless I need to use the Internet or at home.

I've never really found mobile data to be useful unless I'm searching the Internet for something. I find that important 'notifications' are done via phone. Everything else is usually relevant only when being at a computer, thus having access to that information doesn't really make a difference. I also don't constantly play with my phone for the sake of playing with it. It seems that these days people are using their phone just for the sake of using it. Mobile gaming sucks balls, so I can't imagine what people are always doing.

"although you can get through a day with it if you're not on it constantly."

That statement is so weird to me. I don't know how people can constantly be on their phone. What are all you guys doing?

Did you read about how they were caught using image stabilization footage from professional film equipment in their demo reel?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lYMlJP77FQ

yep. iStuff is more of the same. I still prefer the MS platform especially with the WP8 kernel and since Nokia is a premier partner....

I have a feeling the 920 and iPhone 5 will be neck and neck in a lot of tech blog shootouts.

Android is intriguing but I have a friend who did an update and it blew out some features he previously used. After research, they were part of a patent infringement case.