First photos of the McLaren P1

Nath4N

Mclaren is doing any awful job on picking which paint choices to release the first press shots in.

This burnt orange looks terrible on these cars.

fcuking this. why are people using burnt orange, poop brown, purple, maroon.....

I don't hate the p1. I love the rear, but the bulbous greenhouse and the front were not designed with beauty in mind.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HELL YES!

I love it! Futuristic & sexy, and probably a design that will look great over time. Probably the best looking car I've ever seen. I wish the greenhouse was a little shorter relative to the body.

I do hope they put something bigger than a V8, and agree that KERS seems a bit pointless on a road car. And the point about it costing so much more than a 12C while sharing many parts is valid, buy P1/12C is way more significant than Reventon/LP640.

The more I look at it the better it looks or perhaps my retinas were burnt after looking at the "new" Gallardo :eusa_think:

It's a fcuking picasso next to that piece of shit gallardo.

Looks a little better, but still not even remotely as cool as the F1.

thats because we are old... the youth that sees it will think of it as the shit... and then when there is a replacement after 20years, they will be saying the same thing... lol.. just how generations go...

thats because we are old... the youth that sees it will think of it as the shit... and then when there is a replacement after 20years, they will be saying the same thing... lol.. just how generations go...

I disagree. It is good, not great. I like it, and that means a lot cause I don't like much. But, it doesn't have a WOW factor. Kids today will love the Aventador, Murcielago SV, 458, One-77, and Zonda. They all have the WOW factor. Not this. This is good, but not great.

The P1 is on par with the Koenigsegg Agera. Only the P1 doesn't have the cool exclusive doors of the Koenigsegg. Both are interesting but neither are inspiring.

A car that inspires and captivates kids needs to have that special something. I would stare at a Countach and just wonder what it would be like to sit in it. Not even drive, just sit in it and look out the glass like I was about to drive. That mystery. The Veyron got in that club from all the hype and numbers, but no one would feel that way based on the looks. For everyone else, they need to earn it the old fashioned way. With a visual statement and presence.

Doesn't have wow factor? Seriously didn't think I'd hear that. Definitely didn't see that comment coming. This has a billion times more wow factor than the Koeniggshit. It is ridiculously shrink wrapped, you cannot comprehend how tight and how low everything is. A Zonda will look huge in comparison. A Veyron more like a Hummer compared to a compact car

Doesn't have wow factor? Seriously didn't think I'd hear that. Definitely didn't see that comment coming. This has a billion times more wow factor than the Koeniggshit. It is ridiculously shrink wrapped, you cannot comprehend how tight and how low everything is. A Zonda will look huge in comparison. A Veyron more like a Hummer compared to a compact car

It has curves, it just doesn't have that fluid statement the other cars I mentioned have. At least that is my opinion. The Zonda is shocking when you first see it. The Countach was the same effect. The P1 looks curvy, scientific and expensive but not like artwork. Just how I see it and I like to think I still see some stuff like I did when I was a child. ;-)

McLaren-P1-taillight-detail.jpg

Yeah, I was just thinking those strips of light was too little. There must be a reason all cars have pretty large tail lamps... Who knows, maybe they found a loophole :eusa_dance:

No this is a design study. Not signed off. Yet. Still chatting to my engineering friend earlier today that was involved with the Mp4 project he said not too far off designs he has seen.

Even as a design study as a one off this is hands down miles better than the Sesto Elementowank.

From a design point McLaren have the lead for me. The Lambos now have creases, McLaren have curves.

In the technology stakes, well when Lambo look to the horizon, that dot they see is McLaren.

What have Lambo got that can take on the new incoming cars?

No this is a design study. Not signed off. Yet. Still chatting to my engineering friend earlier today that was involved with the Mp4 project he said not too far off designs he has seen.

Even as a design study as a one off this is hands down miles better than the Sesto Elementowank.

From a design point McLaren have the lead for me. The Lambos now have creases, McLaren have curves.

In the technology stakes, well when Lambo look to the horizon, that dot they see is McLaren.

What have Lambo got that can take on the new incoming cars?

Lambo doesn't offer a car at this price point unfortanately, so it's not a valid comparison. We all wish they would, but with no real budget to go racing and no interest by VAG in developing a halo car that would take away from their own Bugatti sales, it's something we have to live with. Sucks to be sure.

But at the level they do compete at, the entry level, both Lambo and Ferrari definitely offer VERY compelling alternatives to the MP4...which has been described by multiple publications, test drives by our own members, and even a few owners, as not having the passion needed to compete with the Italians when it comes to the actual driving experience of the car.

The looks also are subjective, and I personally rank both the 458 and the LP560 as being more impressive than the base MP4. I do think the GT3/RS/etc aero add-ons for the MP4 have closed the gap though, love what they've done to the car since its launched to address this issue.

So calling the game over or annointing McLaren to some posistion of prominence from one base car that is already selling at a discount in the States because they can't move them, or a design study P1 that looks like something Koenigsegg's 13-year-old designers would barf up on their high school notebooks, is a bit premature. :icon_mrgreen:

That being said, I do feel the P1 will become the ultimate performance street car in terms of lap times. Nothing is going to be able to touch it, including the F70.

Just no where near the aero that the P1 obviously provides, combined with McLaren's incredible knowledge of making machines with wheels go fast at the highest levels of the sport tells us just how likely it is that the car will be an absolute record breaker everywhere it goes. I don't think it has an engineering peer within the industry to be honest. :icon_thumleft: