Had to put my best friend down today

RyanRo24

Thanks Red. Beautiful pup. My dog had had a stroke last year and it took her a few weeks to recover. She had been doing really well up until last Thursday when she did an abrupt 180. I've been looking at local adoption sites and can't get over the feeling that I'm trying to replace her already.

One more photo just because,

Pictures421_zps9990dc6d.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry for your loss Ryan. I too dread the day when we have to put our dog down. You go into it KNOWING that dog won't outlive you but that doesn't make it any easier.

I hope you and your wife find comfort soon. For what it is worth she looks beautiful. You provided her with 13 wonderful years and that is all a dog can ask for. You gave her what she wanted just by adopting her. No regrets and nothing to be ashamed of.

sorry for your loss. On a positive notes you were with her till the end and gave her a great home and love for her whole life.

So sorry man. :( My Mom and Dad adopted a 10-week old black puppy that was abandoned when my Mom was pregnant with my sister and I. While growing up that dog was my best friend in the world. Having to put her down when I was in HS was STILL (15 years later) one of the hardest things I have ever done. Great dogs are worth their weight in gold. RIP to him and like others said, he is in a better place.

I am terribly sorry for your loss. Hardest days of my life have been putting down my dogs.

It will get easier, takes some time though

So sorry for your loss Ryan.

When i was 4 i got a puppy for my birthday. We called her Mysti. She was easily my best friend growing up. I had her all through school, right through highschool.

I still remember the day we had to put her down. She had been getting weak for a while, and had gone blind in one eye. The day she couldn't lift her body up a step I knew there was a problem. She ended up having a tumor under her armpit, so it was affecting the joint. We made a tough call to put her down then. I held her in my hands as they did the injection. I felt the life escape her and she went limp in my arms. I was nearly sick to my stomach. She was 19, so she lived more than a good life.

That was 8 years ago, and I still remember it vividly. In fact a tear just rolled down my cheek as I sit her remembering her.

It's not easy, but you'll get passed it. Remember all the good times. Don't dwell on the idea that you didn't spend enough time with her. I'm sure she knew you loved her.

Thanks guys. I woke up this morning with the thought of going to the local shelters to look around. However, I'm just in no way ready yet. It hasn't even been a day. I just can't bring myself to do it.

So sorry to hear of your loss. As a pet owner (a cat) I can't imagine what it must be like, especially when you're put on the spot to give the go-ahead.

As she was explaining to me (matter of factly, which was nice I might add) that there really wasn't anything that they could do I started to break down. She said she could give her some steroids and something to maybe pick up her appetite since she wasn't eating, but basically I'd be prolonging the inevitable. Her liver was shutting down. She said I could take a few days to think about it, but as I looked at my dog and saw her panting, yellow and just overall looking very drained and tired, I knew what I had to do. I got to spend a good half hour with her before they took her back and got her ready. When she came back the Vet left us alone for a while and I just laid there with her. Petting her and talking to her (I'm pretty sure we all have a weird voice we talk to our pets in...at least I did) calling her by her many different nicknames. I even got a few more kisses from her which was amazing. When the vet came back I laid by her side, crying, petting her, kissing her and more or less hugging her. When the sedative went in she laid her head down. Then the final shot and just like that it was over. The vet left us there for a while and I just cried. Petting her. Kissing her and wondering if I made the right decision. I'm crying now writing this, but it helps to get it off my chest and get it out there. It feels like it's been a week since this happened and it's only been 23hrs.

The vet left us there for a while and I just cried. Petting her. Kissing her and wondering if I made the right decision. I'm crying now writing this, but it helps to get it off my chest and get it out there. It feels like it's been a week since this happened and it's only been 23hrs.

Ryan although it is terribly painful for you right now you made the right decision.

Her condition was terminal and you did not want her to suffer, that shows just how much you cared for her.

Keeping her around in pain and deteriorating health was not going to make her better, it would just have made you both feel worse and more afraid.

I am sure you would have done whatever you could have to make things better however the reality was that nothing was going make that happen.

A little over eight years ago we had to make the difficult decision to put Leasha our 16.5 year old Siberian Husky down.

She developed a life threatening condition called bloat the night of the Superbowl 2005. Her health had been deteriorating prior to this, and we had already put her through 2 surgeries to remove tumors.

After the second surgery we agreed we would not cut her up any more as it was to difficult on her. After having Leasha put down my wife and I made a small memorial for her in an area of our house.

That along with time helped in healing the pain and remembering the good times we had with her.

I hope you feel better soon. Sincerely Vic

So sorry for your loss as well Vic, you guys both had beautiful dogs. :(

Ryan like Vic said to you, the fact that you laid her down when you did just goes to show how much you cared about her. She would not want to see you suffer anymore than you wanted to see her suffer. Also, dont feel guilty about wanting to get a new dog, that is natural after losing something that was such a big part of your life. It sounds like you gave your friend an amazing 13 years so another dog would be very lucky to have that same chance. Best of luck with whatever you decide. Hang in there.

As she was explaining to me (matter of factly, which was nice I might add) that there really wasn't anything that they could do I started to break down. She said she could give her some steroids and something to maybe pick up her appetite since she wasn't eating, but basically I'd be prolonging the inevitable. Her liver was shutting down. She said I could take a few days to think about it, but as I looked at my dog and saw her panting, yellow and just overall looking very drained and tired, I knew what I had to do. I got to spend a good half hour with her before they took her back and got her ready. When she came back the Vet left us alone for a while and I just laid there with her. Petting her and talking to her (I'm pretty sure we all have a weird voice we talk to our pets in...at least I did) calling her by her many different nicknames. I even got a few more kisses from her which was amazing. When the vet came back I laid by her side, crying, petting her, kissing her and more or less hugging her. When the sedative went in she laid her head down. Then the final shot and just like that it was over. The vet left us there for a while and I just cried. Petting her. Kissing her and wondering if I made the right decision. I'm crying now writing this, but it helps to get it off my chest and get it out there. It feels like it's been a week since this happened and it's only been 23hrs.

:( just know you made the right decision. You wouldn't have wanted her to suffer.

I've been there twice. The only positive is knowing you didnt let them suffer.

You can bet your bottom dollar she felt loved and comforted to the end with you beside her.

She wouldnt want you to be crying...all she ever wanted was for you to be happy.

Chin up Bro.

I am real sorry about the losing your best friend. It real real painful having to do the what is best for them because it sure is hell on us.

Sorry to hear. Have had my dog a little over a year and I don't even want to think about this stuff.

Sorry about your loss. I lost my best friend Penelope last week due to heart failure. Dogs dying sucks, but the week of sadness doesn't compare to the years of happiness they provide us.

Waiting for the call from Purdue University veterinary hospital to call and tell me her ashes are ready for me to pick up. Feels like an eternity. Hard to believe I took her there on Monday and will be taking home a small box instead.

Sorry to hear about your losses guys. It must be really hard. My rottweiler is not even 8 months old and I'm already dreading the day we have to put her down.

Sorry to hear about your losses guys. It must be really hard. My rottweiler is not even 8 months old and I'm already dreading the day we have to put her down.

I meant the same about mine. He is still ok

Sorry for your loss.

You did the most difficult thing - which is to put her needs before your own. She is out of pain and in a better place. Don't second guess yourself. It serves no purpose.

Dogs have no sense of time. She wasn't aware how much or little attention you gave her. She was just happy to be with you when you had time. When you leave - a dog really doesn't know whether you've been gone minutes or hours.

I've been there twice. It's difficult and will take time. Be patient with yourself, and try to focus on the good things: that you gave her a wonderful life, that she gave you priceless companionship, and you took good care of her and then made the most humane (and difficult) decision in her best interest.

I wish both of you peace.

Carol