Engine Out and Refresh!

Chipster

Engine out numero duo

post-3902-1405270600_thumb.jpg

And faulty seal I believe, which I had pulled the edge but left in so I could remember the orientation. Taking the engine out was pretty fast considering. Maybe 6 hours. Waitin tv on the rest the parts before I continue. There also may be a seal behind the plate on the trans output shaft but ill have to double check that one. I did get all the large trans seals just in case.

post-3902-1405270681_thumb.jpg

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so I replaced that seal couple of days ago and getting the trans off and back on was much quicker this time. Trans was no longer leaking after putting fluid back in and checking after 2 days. The accelerator cable arrived today. And that was a BEAR to get out and get the new one in. It runs along the center console on the inside but it's very tight and there are nuts on the cables. Ended up removing the seat belt receptacle to give some additional play. Finally got that in and got the motor back in about an hour ago. Hoping to have everything buttoned up except for maybe bleeding the clutch by tomorrow night and then have it running by the end of the weekend. All I've done so far is bolted down the motor mounts. No el pictures. I am honestly spent with working on cars for this year!!!

Chipster

Kudos and keep the faith. The light at the end of the tunnel is near . I am enjoying your progress and learning.

What an inspiring thread. Thank you for your efforts to post and share your experience with others.

I will be doing an engine out starting this fall for a transmission rebuild.

Had a motorcycle course this weekend so didn't get as much done as I wanted but I cranked it up for the first time. Notice right away that a leak had appeared from one of the injector / fuel rail areas, so I had to pull the fuel rail back off and make sure everything was seated. Then of course, a few coolant hoses needed some tightening. Still need to bleed that some more but it seems to be running well!

I may take the other fuel rail off just to double check that one is alright too. Still need to bleed the clutch lines and put on the rear lid, engine cover, and that sort of stuff but should finally have it wrapped up this week and then i'll get some pics and maybe a video.

Was kind of dehydrated from being outside most of the weekend with motorcycle course so I already had a little headache but man, I forgot how loud this car is lol.

The gal is running! I need to add in some octane booster or seafoam and some new gas tomorrow and then make sure all my lights and stuff are working but I drove it around a bit. Felt good to be back on the road!

The gal is running! I need to add in some octane booster or seafoam and some new gas tomorrow and then make sure all my lights and stuff are working but I drove it around a bit. Felt good to be back on the road!

:icon_super:

Btw, congrats on the bike as well.

Thanks guys. That fuel has been in since september! I'm probably one of the most paranoid people so I was just thinking "does that sound right?", "does it have full power?", etc. I'll see how the gas does tonight and i'll check the other fuel rail but hopefully I can get the engine lid and all that on (i drove around without the engine cover and rear lid. Inspection sticker has expired too so I have to check all my lights and hopefully get it inspected before I go get the bike Friday.

There is a world of awesomeness in this thread!!!!

Thanks! And thanks Carol. I pulled off the other fuel rail and made sure everything was good. Also added seafoam and some fresh 93. I checked all my lights yesterday except reverse and brake lights. Just want to try bleeding the coolant lines some more today and then I'll button it up and wash it and get some pics!

I bled the coolant pipes one last time and put the panels on and gave it a good wash. Drove it out to get lunch even though my inspection is expired....

post-3902-1406396484_thumb.jpg

post-3902-1406396525_thumb.jpg

Money shot...

post-3902-1406396542_thumb.jpg

Thank you all!! For the first time with multiple toys, it was pretty wild driving the Diablo and the bike today. I have to say, the bike gets tons of attention. I went with a neon green helmet too. Definitely one of the better days I have in a long time. I hope this thread is helpful for others!