Looking for an education on a Bentley CGT

oufan2929

So as I look I can't hardly find a difference with say an '06 and an '09. Only difference I find is $40-$50k in price. Gauges and console look basically the same. Exterior looks a lot alike. Is there a breaking point of a certain year I should own? At what year did the interior have a major overhaul? Definitely can't swallow the pill for a used '13. Having a hard time finding justification spending 6 figures on one when a LOW mileage '06 can be had for high 60's. Basically I'm just wanting an extremely quiet/smooth yet powerful daily. For those days when I'm too tired to take the G out. Also considering a CL65 or SL65 in the 09+ flavor...

Also, how do the CGT's respond to mods? Reliably? Overall the cars seem reliable. Am I gonna be in for a $20k repair or is that pretty unheard of. Buying a used amg, it's pretty easy to make a warranty happen with a few simple tricks... Anything else I'm missing?

I.don't know a ton about them other than the fuel mileage sucks ass. Not the $$$ part, the going to the gas station every other day part.

I think I prefer the spur to the conti, just.more room and road presence. I'd probably still look at an amg cl of some variant, get the warranty and ride it as hard as.you like.

I've had two, both daily drivers. Do not use as winter vehicle, windshield is a couple thousand bucks.

Reliable car however remember parts and service are indicative of a quarter million dollar vehicle. I like the car and would still have on in the garage except for the fuel issue, it is thirsty and reminds you.

Curious about the warranty tricks for MB. Thx.

While my tricks are nothing made of genius, they're effective and allow you to drive used benz's without incurring huge repair bills.

1st, when looking on autotrader, I go to the more detailed search and type in warranty. It'll pull up cars that may have extended warranties that private sellers would have had to already buy. If you get lucky you can find a car from the original owner where they put a long extended warranty on the car from Mercedes when they bought new( you can only do this when you buy new).

Other simple trick is to find what you are looking for from Carmax. They HAVE to offer a warranty on any vehicle they sell. And they're warranties are very good and usually very reasonably priced. I almost like this option as you could probably get away with some minor mods and still maintain warranty vs oem type warranty. Carmax doesn't usually have a lot of AMG's nationwide, but they do have some always...

I'd like to know this too. I'm looking into the CGT as well and even had a past thread here on the board asking about warranties and repairs. Some said don't buy one without warranty, others said don't worry about it, the car is basically a VW and as long as you get a PPI, you should be fine.

So what's the diff between the model years? It looks like 2008 and 2009 models and in my price range, but if the 07 is the same, why not save the money and get a low mileage 07?

I've had two, both daily drivers. Do not use as winter vehicle, windshield is a couple thousand bucks.

Reliable car however remember parts and service are indicative of a quarter million dollar vehicle. I like the car and would still have on in the garage except for the fuel issue, it is thirsty and reminds you.

Would you buy the V8 one that is supposed to be much better in the fuel usage department?

:iamwithstupid:

I love the car except that with the V12, no matter where you go, it uses 1/2 tank of gas so basically you are at a gas station every 2 days . It becomes a real nuisance after a while.

Given the choice, I think the V8 is better suited as a DD and you're not giving away much in terms of performance.

:iamwithstupid:

I love the car except that with the V12, no matter where you go, it uses 1/2 tank of gas so basically you are at a gas station every 2 days . It becomes a real nuisance after a while.

Given the choice, I think the V8 is better suited as a DD and you're not giving away much in terms of performance.

What years did the V8 start becoming available?

Okay so the only two issues we've touched on to beware of is the convertible top motor and the struts. Is there anything else to focus on with getting a PPI done on a CGT (coupe or vert) that's a few years old?

Also, I'm checking out 08-09 cars right now, and I'm seeing a lot of 08 "Speed" editions. Is there any reason to pay extra for the options (which appear on many normal cars anyways) and extra hp? Or just stick with the standard car and not worry about it? To those who have driven both, will I notice the extra 50hp?

Okay so the only two issues we've touched on to beware of is the convertible top motor and the struts. Is there anything else to focus on with getting a PPI done on a CGT (coupe or vert) that's a few years old?

Also, I'm checking out 08-09 cars right now, and I'm seeing a lot of 08 "Speed" editions. Is there any reason to pay extra for the options (which appear on many normal cars anyways) and extra hp? Or just stick with the standard car and not worry about it? To those who have driven both, will I notice the extra 50hp?

You'll notice the speed steering wheel and interior....extra hp at that level I doubt. I drove a CGT SSand thing pulled like a freight train doubt the base is much different.

Air suspension can leak

Make sure brakes are good, several grand easy and rear has to be done w a vw computer

06-08 have limited Bluetooth compatibility. They got better thru the years. Navs are all useless

Check all lights.

If within budget, I think the newer v8 is worth the extra price.

New Amg actually seems more attractive. Cls and S are great platforms

Would you buy the V8 one that is supposed to be much better in the fuel usage department?

For sure I'd give it a try, the design is very close to the 12.

Which would you choose?

15-20k miles for both

2008 CGT Speed

or

2009 CGT

Same price. Which one?

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen a few 09 cars with the cross stitch seats but it's not as common. I'm going to check out a couple of local cars after the holiday since I've never driven one. I have the buy-in from the wife, who claims to be sick of her Merc, so I'm feeling pretty good...

06-08 have limited Bluetooth compatibility. They got better thru the years.

This. Pre '08 will not work with Galaxy S4 or Iphone5 and Bentley will not make the software upgrades.

Which would you choose?

15-20k miles for both

2008 CGT Speed

or

2009 CGT

Same price. Which one?

Speed. It will use even more fuel but it is even quicker, which is a good thing :D