Need advice on buying my first Lambo

Brock

How are you. My name is Bob and I am new to this forum. I am currently in the market for buying my first Lamborghini---a beautiful white 2004 Murcielago Coupe with 12800 miles on it. Options include E-Gear Paddle Shift; Kenwood DNX7140 Touchscreen with Satellite Navigation; Bluetooth iPod Connection; Rear View Camera; Focal Speakers JL Audio Amplifier; K 40 Caliber Radar Detection System;Clear Bra on Front Bumper; Tinted Taillights; Lambo OC Exhaust. Dealer is asking about 135,000 for it. Clutch has about 50% life remaining; brakes are good. Dealer told me that all major aspects of car are in good condition. I understand that average retail is about 109,400 for this scenario and about 122,400 for high retail. The Carfax report stated that it was priced over book value. I don't want to over pay for it. Could anybody please educate me a bit on the important questions to ask the dealer before making an offer? Should I hire a mechanic to look it over first (how much should that cost?) And finallly, and most importantly, about how much should I be willing to pay without over paying. Thanks so much for your consideration and patience with this newbie--Bob.

Last edited by Brock; Yesterday at 02:30 PM.

Where are you? Where is the car? 109k US $ does not seem right. Clutch life is low so I would factor that into your offer. Bob

Bob, car fax knows NOTHING about the value of Murcie's. Honestly I think you can nego a little bit off but I think 135 if the car is in good working order is not that bad.

A few things,

White is very rare on 2004 Murci's so that's a positive

The 2004 murci egear is the first year and it drives like a mack truck (I had one so I know). Not that that should dissuade you from buying it, it's just something to know.

The stereo system, have the install looked at. Sometimes they can wreak havoc depending on how they interact with the electronics in the murcie.

Tinted taillights, if you live in Cali the cops will use it as a reason to pull you over.

50% clutch life is not bad. Know that a new clutch will set you back about 7-10k.

YES have a PPI (pre purchase inspection) done on the car. Never take a dealer's word on the car. They usually cost 500 dollars but are VERY worth it. They can save you thousands of dollars in problems that need to be corrected. DO NOT buy the car without having a PPI.

I think if you get it for 130 you're getting a solid deal, anything lower than that and you're getting a crazy deal.

Good luck, Bob!

Thanks so much for your thoughtful responses Chipster and Grassman--I truly appreciate it as this is a big decision for me. I live in Fairfield County Connectcut, and the car is located in Long Island, NY. My only concern now is the 2004 Murci bening the first year for egear--I have no experience with paddle shifting. Is there a significant difference in egear performance from the 2004 Murci, to the 2005 and beyond Murci models? Is so, should I hold out for a 2005?; and will a later model Murci with low miles cost me much more? Thanks so much again for sharing your knowledge and wisdom about this outstanding auto with me; as it would be a dream come true for me to own one--I'm sure you know how this feels. All The Best--Bob.

'04 egear will sale minimum in the 130's, depends on color, mileage, history, etc. Not much difference in regards to egear b/w '04-'05's. The biggest difference in egear will be when you go from a base to an LP640. But that's a big jump in price. Just find a solid example and make sure there's a complete service history.

Definitely do a PPI!!! Just had one done on a non-lambo car that was advertised as needing nothing, but came back with needing new batteries, scheduled maintenance, new rear tires...which are "small stuff". Heaven forbids you need to change the clutch or actuators in the egear of the Murci, you're looking easily in the teens when the repair bill comes.

Good luck with your search and white is a rare and beautiful color for the M. Keep us posted bob.

First advice is don't use thread smileys, RomanDad can explain more. Second advice is no need to sign your posts Bob, Bob.

Agree with everything wise Grassman wrote, have owned a couple Murcielagos one being 04, it's true the drive is like a tractor. Common issues are throttle bodies, leaking shocks, headlight condensation, there are more if you do some searching.

Also agree white is rare and if that's what you want it's worth a little premium.

Sooner or later someone will chime in and know the car, we have too many members with too much free time on their hands :icon_mrgreen:

Good luck and welcome Bob

04 E gear was HORRIBLE. i wounldnt reccomend that car to anyone,

also starting in 05 the front lifting system raises the car up about 3 or 4 cm more than the older Murci's.

I bought a 03 brand new and drove it until it had 15K miles on it, clutch was origonal but hanging on by a thread the last 2000 miles i owned the car.

I tinted the tail lights and never got popped once in 15K miles, most in Ca a few in Vegas and lots in between.

Its a great car and its true white is rare for that year, but thats paint. the real issue is the transmission and they sucked then, same for the early Gallardos awful.

Throttle bodies gummed every 1000-1500 miles on my car 03 like clock work, I know that was fixed as well(not sure the year) either 04 05. I'f guess 05

if it has OEM wheells they are old school, in 05 they changed them as well.

I've owned lots of Lambos over the years and FWIW if you really want to make a smart play get a 05 or newer Murci. 05 is when they gat that car right, the early ones are like early Diablos and Gallardo's they had issues. Lambo seems to release cars wwith minor bugs probably a $$ thing. For this reason I waited until 14 to get a aventador-glad i did Bob.

Welcome to the board and good luck on your search. You couldn't have come to a better place to get your questions answered bob.

Thanks so much for all the great responses guys--this is a great forum. I was interested in the white 2014 Murci currently being sold by Universal Motor Sports in Long Island. A salesman there told me that if I drive it normal and don't beat on it, that the Egear system will provide me with a smooth ride. I like to open up cars on the highway; but I prefer to gradually work up to high speeds--I'm not a racer. Is it true that the 2014 egear works well/ smooth if you don't drive the car hard? Also are you sure that the 2014 will end up costing me a lot in repairs. If so, I am disappointed to let this one go, as it was everything I was looking for--white, egear, clean, etc.; and the price wasn't bad--about $130,000. Somebody mentioned that this particular car at Universal Motor Sports has been for sale for a long time--any reason why? Does anybody have any intelligence on this particular Murci?

If I look for a 2005 or slightly later Murci, what are my odds of finding an egear in white? And could I get one with low miles for around $150,000? If you guys think my odds are slim, then I still would like to consider the 2004 Murci I mentioned, as white and egear is the only way I want it, and $150,000 is about as hgh as I am willing to go for this baby. I have an appointment to see the 2014 Murci at Universal Motor Sports Friday after next, so I really would appreciate your best advice asap. When I learn more about these awesome vehicles, I hope to someday pay it forward by offering similar advice to a newbie. Thanks so much--Bob.

I don't know that particular car.

Finding a white gear murci before the lp640 is going to be hard. Pre LP murci's in white are very rare.

I'd drive the car you're going to go see so you know what it's like. Another thing is the interior is probably crappy, like the sticky buttons, the sun shades sticky, the little compartment in the top broken. That's pretty common.

For sure DO NOT buy it without a PPI. I know I sound like a broken record on this, but it's of primo importance. Also look at Porter's post about the other mechanal issues like the shocks, headlights, throttle bobbies, etc. lol bob

Thanks so much for all the great responses guys--this is a great forum. I was interested in the white 2014 Murci currently being sold by Universal Motor Sports in Long Island. A salesman there told me that if I drive it normal and don't beat on it, that the Egear system will provide me with a smooth ride. I like to open up cars on the highway; but I prefer to gradually work up to high speeds--I'm not a racer. Is it true that the 2014 egear works well/ smooth if you don't drive the car hard? Also are you sure that the 2014 will end up costing me a lot in repairs. If so, I am disappointed to let this one go, as it was everything I was looking for--white, egear, clean, etc.; and the price wasn't bad--about $130,000. Somebody mentioned that this particular car at Universal Motor Sports has been for sale for a long time--any reason why? Does anybody have any intelligence on this particular Murci?

If I look for a 2005 or slightly later Murci, what are my odds of finding an egear in white? And could I get one with low miles for around $150,000? If you guys think my odds are slim, then I still would like to consider the 2004 Murci I mentioned, as white and egear is the only way I want it, and $150,000 is about as hgh as I am willing to go for this baby. I have an appointment to see the 2014 Murci at Universal Motor Sports Friday after next, so I really would appreciate your best advice asap. When I learn more about these awesome vehicles, I hope to someday pay it forward by offering similar advice to a newbie. Thanks so much--Bob.

forget any car before 05, i mentioned it, someone below did too. we really know what were talking about here. i have driven well over 100 Lambos and owned around 15-17 of them,. some for very brief periods of time, might be high as 20. My point is these guys here-car owners, not kids, like me know Lambos. We really do bob.

White is rare and it is a beautiful low mile car.. I would have them drive it and you sit passenger, and then ask if you can drive it. See how you feel about the car.

The overall value is fair. Anything less than that is a bob.

Sorry Guys, I meant 2004 Murci!!!- I know that there is no such thing as a 2014 Murci! Thanks for all the great advice guys--Bob

The white car has been for sale for over 6 months. Looks great, but first year e-gear... I would definitely get some aftermarket e-gear tuning done.

If this car was a manual I would have bought it the day it hit the market. Fantastic looking car and the price is bob.

04 E gear was HORRIBLE. i wounldnt reccomend that car to anyone,

also starting in 05 the front lifting system raises the car up about 3 or 4 cm more than the older Murci's.

I bought a 03 brand new and drove it until it had 15K miles on it, clutch was origonal but hanging on by a thread the last 2000 miles i owned the car.

I tinted the tail lights and never got popped once in 15K miles, most in Ca a few in Vegas and lots in between.

Its a great car and its true white is rare for that year, but thats paint. the real issue is the transmission and they sucked then, same for the early Gallardos awful.

Throttle bodies gummed every 1000-1500 miles on my car 03 like clock work, I know that was fixed as well(not sure the year) either 04 05. I'f guess 05

I put almost 20k miles on my Murci's clutch and it showed no signs of weakening (was 2WD though).

Never got pulled for tail lights either.

Throttle bodies never gummed up. But the '02/'03 coil packs create a condition that many people think is gummed up/mis-synced throttle bodies.

To add:

'02-'04 have 4 piston front brakes, '05+ have 8 piston

'02-'04 front shocks prone to leak

'02-'04 have adjustable ride firmness settings

'02-'03 have magneti marelli coil packs, '05+ use audi units

pedals for manual cars changed in '05

key changed to audi unit in '04 bob.

How are you.

I'm well, thanks... Yourself?

My name is Bob

Hi Bob! I'm Roman!

and I am new to this forum.
Welcome to Lambo-power! Don't use the thread smilies...

I am currently in the market for buying my first Lamborghini---a beautiful white 2004 Murcielago Coupe with 12800 miles on it. Options include E-Gear Paddle Shift; Kenwood DNX7140 Touchscreen with Satellite Navigation; Bluetooth iPod Connection; Rear View Camera; Focal Speakers JL Audio Amplifier; K 40 Caliber Radar Detection System;Clear Bra on Front Bumper; Tinted Taillights; Lambo OC Exhaust. Dealer is asking about 135,000 for it. Clutch has about 50% life remaining; brakes are good. Dealer told me that all major aspects of car are in good condition. I understand that average retail is about 109,400 for this scenario and about 122,400 for high retail. The Carfax report stated that it was priced over book value. I don't want to over pay for it. Could anybody please educate me a bit on the important questions to ask the dealer before making an offer? Should I hire a mechanic to look it over first (how much should that cost?) And finallly, and most importantly, about how much should I be willing to pay without over paying. Thanks so much for your consideration and patience with this newbie--Bob.

Last edited by Brock; Yesterday at 02:30 PM.

Seriously, best of luck with your search. (on a side note... Are Murcies really getting that cheap?)