707HP Challenger Hellcat...

FikseSTS

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This car can have 2000 hp and I dont want it...

I love it! I am an old fart, Ha Ha Ha.

My first car was and still is a 1971 Plymouth Cuda, 383-4speed owned it for 31 years now.

Hey if Chrysler was that shitty they wouldn't have purchased Lamborghini.

8 speed auto...

I can't see the links right now.....is that auto or manual trans?

I love these retro-designed cars. I'd love to build a Studebaker or Mercury Lead Sled hot rod at some point in the future.

8 speed auto...

With some really pathetic looking tires. Imagine what this thing will do on some big drag radials.

A question for the drag experts:

I checked the timeslip.....the hellcat did a 2.06 or so 60 foot time. That looked a little slow to me given the monster time and ET.

So I looked up some other cars that are around 400 hp/400 lb-ft factory (stock):

2014 Camaro SS 1LE - 12.85 @ 109, 2.03 60 foot

2013 Mustang GT - 12.97 @ 108, 1.97 60 foot

2006 GTO - 13.00 @ 109, 1.98 60 foot

I know 60 foot isn't everything, but it looks like the Hellcat is leaving a bit on the table here.

Conservative launch or other issues at play?

so damn cool; finally we get to experience the muscle car fight too.

i've always been a Camaro guy, but appreciate all the others too

:iamwithstupid:

BTW, we are now living in the era of NET hp (not Gross)....rarely inflated #s (usually conservative), dyno runs, etc.

A lot less mythology these days when it comes to what cars will really do.

I thought the same thing, the might have "cut" the video with the wrong 60' time from a different run, but that's what the timing board said... a "decent" 60' with good tires for that car could be a 1.7, which would drop the 1/4 mile time down to low 10's...

I checked the timeslip.....the hellcat did a 2.06 or so 60 foot time. That looked a little slow to me given the monster time and ET.

So I looked up some other cars that are around 400 hp/400 lb-ft factory (stock):

I know 60 foot isn't everything, but it looks like the Hellcat is leaving a bit on the table here.

:iamwithstupid:

BTW, we are now living in the era of NET hp (not Gross)....rarely inflated #s (usually conservative), dyno runs, etc.

A lot less mythology these days when it comes to what cars will really do.

Just curious, but what has changed to cause this?

Tires, its all in the tires.

Just curious, but what has changed to cause this?

What has changed is the way we calculate a cars performance.

Back in the day it was engine HP on a dyno test bench and 1/4 mile times that could and did vary basted on the conditions on that particular day.

Also carburetors and timing could be tweaked quite a bit making the car almost undrivable for daily use however perform very well for short high HP durations.

Today cars are tested more so for HP at the rear wheels, although I do not believe this is the case for the 707 HP Dodge Hellcat.

On top of that the cars get 1/4 mile times tested by more accurate measuring devices and then tested on a test track where it is put through its paces.

What has changed is the way we calculate a cars performance.

Back in the day it was engine HP on a dyno test bench and 1/4 mile times that could and did vary basted on the conditions on that particular day.

Also carburetors and timing could be tweaked quite a bit making the car almost undrivable for daily use however perform very well for short high HP durations.

Today cars are tested more so for HP at the rear wheels, although I do not believe this is the case for the 707 HP Dodge Hellcat.

On top of that the cars get 1/4 mile times tested by more accurate measuring devices and then tested on a test track where it is put through its paces.

I see, thank you for the information.

Ok, so the debate is what transmission to get.

What do you guys think?

a. Hellcat as standalone car (maybe a separate daily driver)

b. Hellcat grouped with sports and exotics

I think for me, it would a. manual, b. auto.

Ok, so the debate is what transmission to get.

What do you guys think?

a. Hellcat as standalone car (maybe a separate daily driver)

b. Hellcat grouped with sports and exotics

I think for me, it would a. manual, b. auto.

Wouldn't a manual transmission more put it into the sport category? Automatic transmission I'd think of as the daily driver type transmission.

Wouldn't a manual transmission more put it into the sport category? Automatic transmission I'd think of as the daily driver type transmission.

Normally, yes. Like for a Corvette or 911 for instance.

But in drag racing, a good auto is a legit and sometimes preferred choice at the very high end of horsepower levels.

The thing is, for all around driving manuals are usually more fun. However, sometimes an engine's torque curve is better mated to an auto, like a good # of truck powertrains.

Just fun discussion. :icon_mrgreen:

But in drag racing, a good auto is a legit and sometimes preferred choice at the very high end of horsepower levels.

The thing is, for all around driving manuals are usually more fun. However, sometimes an engine's torque curve is better mated to an auto, like a good # of truck powertrains.

Just fun discussion. icon_mrgreen.gif

Typically people go with automatics in drag racing applications they produce much more consistent elapse times.

For the most part drag racing is all about consistent times and not breaking out or beating your posted anticipated time.

I would get the Auto. Sounds like a pretty cool transmission.

I love the Hellcat, might have to buy one!

Maybe some RATT or Motley Crue blasting, a bandana around my head and I think I'll be ready to go with this Hellcat.

I picture windows down and a little "Kickstart My Heart" turned waaaaaaay up!!!! :headbang:

(that's actually the first thing a listened to when the Cuda was finished...lol)